ADVERTISEMENT

AF vs UNLV

ltcpilot

National Player of the Year
Jan 9, 2006
Interesting game tonight, some thoughts and stats
ps: Did everyone move to your 'premium forum'? Not much chatter here as there used to be...See ya at the tourney...ltcpilot)

AF vs UNLV...IT'S TIME!
Air Force vs UNLV Part 2

www.ricksfalconreview.blogspot.com

It's time for the Falcons to tipoff again versus UNLV in a match up of two teams at the bottom of the MWC at 3-11 and 'outside looking in' for a win. Both teams are in major losing streaks with AF losing 6 in a row and UNLV 7. In addition, the last two meetings between these two teams, both at UNLV, finished with a 3 OT loss by AF in the MWC tourney last year and a 2 OT loss this year in their first matchup. It is a game that is a must win for both teams so the tension is building!

Key match up tonight will be between these two players as AF's Hayden Graham will battle UNLV's Mooring

#35Graham #30Mooring
F - AFA G - UNLV
12.1PPG 12.6PPG
45.6FG% 37.6FG%
68.1FT% 77.8FT%

TEAM PPG PA FG% 3PT% RPG APG BPG SPG TO STRK
UNLV 70.7 75.4 39.8 33 38.3 13.1 2.7 6.1 13 L7
AF 74.5 75.4 44 37.4 35.9 15.2 1.9 6.1 12 L6

Keys are simple for the Falcons to win but simple is not always easy:

1) Get out of their heads and simply play for 40 minutes just like being on the playground. Give it 100% (as I believe they have been doing) but forget any mistakes that happen and go on to the next shot, the next defensive stop, the next rebound. Do this and we win.

2) Take care of the ball. The 12 TO/game in the stats above include the 'not-normal Falcon play' of 18 turnovers in the last game, 4 of which were in OT. DO NOT force the ball.

3) Penetrate and then penetrate some more. I expect a lot of zone from UNLV but it will still require play inside-out. And for goodness sake...If you get into the bonus the KEEP DRIVING. That is not the time to settle for the three-ball.

4) Find #30 Jovan Mooring who will shoot NBA distance 3's along with Green and Poyser.

This time can and will win and it begins tonight!

GO FALCONS BEAT UNLV

News links on the web (click)
Airport experience provides Air Force basketball coach with positive moment in down season
UNLV playing for higher Mountain West tournament seed
Players to watch when Rebels play Air Force, UNR this week
What the UNLV Rebels said after the loss at San Diego State
As losses mount for Rebels, Menzies continues to hold players accountable
3 takeaways from the UNLV Rebels-San Diego State game
UNLV falls to San Diego State, sets school record for most losses in a season

18_8_4[1][1].gif
GO FALCONS

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Interesting game tonight, some thoughts and stats
ps: Did everyone move to your 'premium forum'? Not much chatter here as there used to be...See ya at the tourney...ltcpilot)
There you are, Itcpilot. After lo these many years of you dropping by with your pre-game notes whenever the Cadets hooked-up with the Rebels, your absence, prior to the first meeting gave me slight cause for alarm. I would hate to think that you were unwell.

The “lack of chatter” is a reflection of the team’s decline in the standings and quality of play. Rebel-Net has been reduced to us few hard-liners. But we’re still here. We’ll be rooting hard in this epic battle for 11th-place. It's one of the few left on our schedule where we have a puncher's chance to win.

You’ve outlined the keys to the game as well as the most-important players, although you must not have received the memo. Poyser, rather than a threat, is now a seldom-used scrub. Other than that, your prognosis, as usual, is pretty dead-on.

You’ve obviously had a great-deal more experience at dealing with this last-place mind-set than us. But sadly, we’re learning. But enjoy (?) it while you can. By this time next season, we’ll be further up the standings, and by two years, we’ll be battling for the league title. So, the league can pile-on while we are still in disarray, but it will be fleeting.

Forgive me for laying all of that at your feet, as I’ve always admired your class and respectfulness over the years. It was really meant for a wider audience. Not that anyone is listening…

images
images

Go Rebels!
images

Ouch...hit...repeat...hit.

Seriously, sorry I didn't get around for game one. Flying a lot at the time. My Dad made the game (made 29 of 31 plus the tourney last year while turning 83 this year), on pace for all but 3 games this year.

Interesting comments about relating but different for us this year. With everyone back from last year but one player and (with injuries early to Lyons and Manning) 7 starters back the expectations were high, The "let the squirrel store nuts in your brain" has affected this team throughout MWC play. Being a fan of MWC I know you have watched some of the scores and AF has played (almost literally) 37.5 mins of each game and had leads late or were within 2pts BUT (again) literally blew it at the end. Perfect example was the perfect blockout and ‘all I have to do is rebound’ but knock the ball out-of-bounds at the end of regulation in game one with AF vs UNLV and your great 3pt shot to tie and go to OT. NEVER should have happened but you guys played, we did not.

A fragile mental team right now that led for 38.5 mins of the SJSU game last Saturday but lost down the stretch to go into OT then 4 TOs in OT to lose the game. Wow.

I did not forget about Poyser but I know a good coach can see someone who is not playing BUT plays well against a specific team and I worry he comes off the bench and plays bonkers against us. We’ll see in 2hrs and 5 mins.

Love this team but frustrated as you guys are. At least you are doing it after saying ‘we miss you’ as Dave Rice walked out the door. Funning seeing him at Clune on the bench vs Nevada (hate Musselman) last week.

Really must try to meet up at the T&M during tourney time. I’ll be the AF fan in BLUE (with the classic very gray hair).

GO FALCONS BEAT THE REBELS.

8 points in 9 minutes in the second half. Ugh. 14 point game with 11 to go.
Air Force bombing us.

pros from tonight:

We made a few shots
Our uniforms look nice and cleanly pressed
No technicals
Shoes are tied tightly

Reactions: NTownRebel
more pros from tonight:

Game played on road and live streamed - so didn't have to drive to the Mack on a weeknight to watch the massacre.
One game closer to the end of the season.
Just got an email about the forthcoming RAF donation invoice. Their timing is impeccable!

Have we ever been swept by San Jose State? Have we ever lost 8 games in a row? Have we ever lost 18 games in a season? We're living in history! Huzzah!

Have we ever been swept by San Jose State? Have we ever lost 8 games in a row? Have we ever lost 18 games in a season? We're living in history! Huzzah!
SJSU swept us in the early 90's, post Tark, when we were down like now. We've lost 8 in a row. First season we lost 9 in a row. Since we've been D1, seven was the record.

Never lost 18 before. Have one only 10 games a couple times, but those seasons had far less games.

Historically terrible season. Embarrassing.

Reactions: Starky34
I heard on the MWC board that Menzies said this was an embarrassing loss and apologized - anyone know where to find the post game presser? My stream cut off

Ouch...hit...repeat...hit.

Seriously, sorry I didn't get around for game one. Flying a lot at the time. My Dad made the game (made 29 of 31 plus the tourney last year while turning 83 this year), on pace for all but 3 games this year.

Interesting comments about relating but different for us this year. With everyone back from last year but one player and (with injuries early to Lyons and Manning) 7 starters back the expectations were high, The "let the squirrel store nuts in your brain" has affected this team throughout MWC play. Being a fan of MWC I know you have watched some of the scores and AF has played (almost literally) 37.5 mins of each game and had leads late or were within 2pts BUT (again) literally blew it at the end. Perfect example was the perfect blockout and ‘all I have to do is rebound’ but knock the ball out-of-bounds at the end of regulation in game one with AF vs UNLV and your great 3pt shot to tie and go to OT. NEVER should have happened but you guys played, we did not.

A fragile mental team right now that led for 38.5 mins of the SJSU game last Saturday but lost down the stretch to go into OT then 4 TOs in OT to lose the game. Wow.

I did not forget about Poyser but I know a good coach can see someone who is not playing BUT plays well against a specific team and I worry he comes off the bench and plays bonkers against us. We’ll see in 2hrs and 5 mins.

Love this team but frustrated as you guys are. At least you are doing it after saying ‘we miss you’ as Dave Rice walked out the door. Funning seeing him at Clune on the bench vs Nevada (hate Musselman) last week.

Really must try to meet up at the T&M during tourney time. I’ll be the AF fan in BLUE (with the classic very gray hair).

GO FALCONS BEAT THE REBELS.

Your team runs better than any of our squads post Tark

Reactions: ltcpilot
Never expected this. Take care, see ya in Vegas
At least we’ve settled once and for all who, between us, gets to lay claim to the bottom of our feeble conference. This distasteful display can join the ranks of Boise St, Utah St, San Jose St & UNR when we make our case for being the very worst team in Runnin’ Rebel history.

We proved that those flyboys don’t deserve to be mentioned in the same conversation with 2016-17 UNLV.

Being a Rebel fan these days, requires a special capacity for masochism. But beat me, whip me, step on my head, break my bones...No matter the depth of the pain, I remain convinced that it’s all leading to sweet retribution. I just wish this abominable season would draw to a close, so that we can proceed with the business of rebuilding our team.

badly-wounded-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

If you asked me half way through the season, I would have said this team was losing games, but they wouldn't quit. After the last half dozen games, what I have seen is a team that has already quit for the season, with half the team not even trying to win anymore.

This program is in a miserable state. All time low. Why do people insist on keeping the crowd of thieves and swindlers around next year? Everyone needs to go if we are lucky to get a new AD and president.

Sums it up well especially the last two paragraphs of this article. http://m.gazette.com/paul-klee-all-things-considered-air-force-81-unlv-58-should-be-impossible/article/1597542

Which paraphrase this other article from the CSprings Gazette
Coaches exchange pleasantries

UNLV ran up the score on Air Force 13 months ago, hammering it 100-64 at the Thomas & Mack Center. But that was a different coaching staff, and coach Dave Pilipovich had no interest in exacting revenge.

So inside of 5 minutes remaining, Air Force started lengthening offensive possessions and bringing the game to merciful end.

This wasn’t lost on UNLV.

“Dave, he’s salt of the earth,” Runnin’ Rebels coach Marvin Menzies said of Pilipovich. “He put his subs in relatively early. He just coaches with class. He understands what we’re going through and is very aware of it. He’s a guy who’s a coach’s coach. He understands the challenges. I thought it was classy to start holding the ball with 4 minutes left or whatever it was. I mean, it’s not their fault we gave up offensive rebounds.”

Pilipovich's thoughts on the situation: "(Zach) Kocur mentioned it to me, ‘You didn’t run it up like they did on us.’ I said, ‘No, that’s not what we do.’"

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Sums it up well especially the last two paragraphs of this article. http://m.gazette.com/paul-klee-all-things-considered-air-force-81-unlv-58-should-be-impossible/article/1597542

Which paraphrase this other article from the CSprings Gazette
Coaches exchange pleasantries

UNLV ran up the score on Air Force 13 months ago, hammering it 100-64 at the Thomas & Mack Center. But that was a different coaching staff, and coach Dave Pilipovich had no interest in exacting revenge.

So inside of 5 minutes remaining, Air Force started lengthening offensive possessions and bringing the game to merciful end.

This wasn’t lost on UNLV.

“Dave, he’s salt of the earth,” Runnin’ Rebels coach Marvin Menzies said of Pilipovich. “He put his subs in relatively early. He just coaches with class. He understands what we’re going through and is very aware of it. He’s a guy who’s a coach’s coach. He understands the challenges. I thought it was classy to start holding the ball with 4 minutes left or whatever it was. I mean, it’s not their fault we gave up offensive rebounds.”

Pilipovich's thoughts on the situation: "(Zach) Kocur mentioned it to me, ‘You didn’t run it up like they did on us.’ I said, ‘No, that’s not what we do.’"
Classy. But I'm not surprised.

This program is in a miserable state. All time low. Why do people insist on keeping the crowd of thieves and swindlers around next year? Everyone needs to go if we are lucky to get a new AD and president.
I try to avoid ad hominem attacks, but comments like these strain my resolve. One can only hope that the people who can make such decisions don’t share your opinion.

Sure, let’s change coaches again. A definite path to stability. What say we give Marvin a reasonable opportunity to show what he can do? You believe you already have him evaluated? After offering him zero chance to succeed? Just so I'm clear, are you labeling Coach Menzies a thief, or a swindler? Please educate the rest of us with your basis for these claims.

I should bite my tongue. I doubt that the few who still read this board right now, share your opinion. But I’m not in a tongue-biting mood today. Your post is officially in the running for dumbest of the year.

talk-to-the-hand-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!

I try to avoid ad hominem attacks, but comments like these strain my resolve. One can only hope that the people who can make such decisions don’t share your opinion.

Sure, let’s change coaches again. A definite path to stability. What say we give Marvin a reasonable opportunity to show what he can do? You believe you already have him evaluated? After offering him zero chance to succeed? Just so I'm clear, are you labeling Coach Menzies a thief, or a swindler? Please educate the rest of us with your basis for these claims.

I should bite my tongue. I doubt that the few who still read this board right now, share your opinion. But I’m not in a tongue-biting mood today. Your post is officially in the running for dumbest of the year.

talk-to-the-hand-smiley-emoticon.gif

Go Rebels!
I take issue with your post because he has said dumber things in the past. This isn't even his top 5, top 10.

Next time you try to label his post please consider all the previous posts he's made.

Thank you

Reactions: TarkisGod
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT