ADVERTISEMENT

Add 3 more!

hqdefault.jpg

Gotta say I am most excited about the Ukrainian (especially since it's not an April Fools Day joke this time). My screen name (Khokhol) is actually a nickname for a true Ukrainian. It's like calling an American a Yankee. Just watched a Youtube video of the guy and he looks legit.

Gotta say I am most excited about the Ukrainian (especially since it's not an April Fools Day joke this time). My screen name (Khokhol) is actually a nickname for a true Ukrainian. It's like calling an American a Yankee. Just watched a Youtube video of the guy and he looks legit.

That deep voice is scary. :) Just researched and found out he just turned 19, coming in as a Freshman and has turned down a European pro contract.

Last edited:
How tall is 209 centimeters? I'm too lazy to do the conversion. Also, measuring things in centimeters reminds me of that scene in "Jarhead" where Jamie Fox is telling the marines to measure in things they know...but not things that are ridiculously small...

Reactions: manic water
Really wish the Johnson kid was eligible to play this year. I think Ballou will be fine but it would've been nice to have a veteran point guard handle the bulk of the pressure his first year so he could take a step back and learn. 12 ppg and 8 apg is impressive even if he did it at a small, low exposure school like Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

I think Ballou will be fine

I'd like to hear more about Ballou. I'm far from convinced he'll be fine as our point guard next year.

That position has been killing us for years and I don't see a solution on this roster yet. Personally I'd love to see Poyser own it but it sounds like he may spend more time at the 2 again.

Bad point guard usually equals unwatchable offense. Certainly I don't blame Menzies for that- my expectations for next year remain pretty minimal. Gotta find a PG in next year's class.

Reactions: BleedRebelRed
Yeah but Johnson looks a lot more athletic than Doolin ever was.

I think Doolin's issues had more to do with Rice's shortcomings than Doolin himself. A capable player like Doolin with that much experience shouldn't look so indecisive and ineffective each and every game. My hope is Menzies coaching will actually have a positive effect on player performance rather than the neutral or even negative effect we've become so accustomed to.

Regarding Ballou I meant to say that I think he'll be fine in the future but next year it's going to be a trial by fire for him if he has to start.

Last edited:
Reactions: LVKryptonite
I think Doolin's issues had more to do with Rice's shortcomings than Doolin himself. A capable player like Doolin with that much experience shouldn't look so indecisive and ineffective each and every game. My hope is Menzies coaching will actually have a positive effect on player performance rather than the neutral or even negative effect we've become so accustomed to.

Regarding Ballou I meant to say that I think he'll be fine in the future but no, next year it's going to be a trial by fire for him if he has to start.
Poyser might have to run point with Ballou backing him up.

Ofeugbu is the San Fran transfer, a la Doolin, having averaged 9.2/4.6. He is our immediate senior, and apparently he shoots it pretty well.

Then there's this:

"UNLV beat out Georgia Tech, Miami, Boise State, Texas Tech and Washington State for Ofoegbu. His final choice came down to the Rebels and Georgia Tech."

Haha, stuff it, Texas Tech.

USF, Wisconsin-Milwaukee, same thing. Same level. Point was Doolin's SF numbers didn't translate because he was often overmatched athletically at UNLV. I don't think he had that problem at USF.

9.2 and 4.6 at USF doesn't mean you should expect similar numbers at UNLV.

I won't disagree that Doolin was poorly coached here. Surely that had something to do with it too.

We now have a coach who specializes in pg. We will be better than before.

I like the optimism. Does Menzies have a track record of recruiting and developing good point guards? Hard to imagine he could be worse at it than our last coach I suppose.

I'll share your optimism when I see Menzies add next year's PG to the roster. Expectations will be low, but if he doesn't find one soon that position could get much worse before it gets better.

Reactions: manic water
I like the optimism. Does Menzies have a track record of recruiting and developing good point guards? Hard to imagine he could be worse at it than our last coach I suppose.

I'll share your optimism when I see Menzies add next year's PG to the roster. Expectations will be low, but if he doesn't find one soon that position could get much worse before it gets better.
I think he is talking about our other new coach, Andre LaFleur:

"As a standout point guard in college, LaFleur played for Calhoun at Northeastern University. He helped Northeastern reach the NCAA tournament in each of his four years. During his four years at Northeastern, the Huskies registered a 102-26 mark, including an ECAC North Atlantic conference record of 60-6. LaFleur became the all-time NCAA Division 1 assist leader in 1987 (894 assists)."

I think he is talking about our other new coach, Andre LaFleur:

"As a standout point guard in college, LaFleur played for Calhoun at Northeastern University. He helped Northeastern reach the NCAA tournament in each of his four years. During his four years at Northeastern, the Huskies registered a 102-26 mark, including an ECAC North Atlantic conference record of 60-6. LaFleur became the all-time NCAA Division 1 assist leader in 1987 (894 assists)."

Thanks. That's a nice PG pedigree from our lead recruiter. I see no reason not to love the LaFleur hire.

He's probably the best PG on the team right now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT