ADVERTISEMENT

3 Star HS Center

Love this one. I agree he probably won’t contribute a ton this year but this is my favorite kind of center. Boise, Utah state always kill us with guys like this.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I thought Jones would have to leave to get ONE PG. (And don't we need two?)
Right now our scholarship players are: Nowell, Webster, Rodriguez, Cottrel, JJ3, Jones. plus Whaley and Hicks that’s 8.

Just assume we get hill and the Boone twins that’s 11 which leaves 2 more if Jones stays

Reactions: WarthogRebel
Typically, dont coaches kids walk-on... I know it's in the same sport that his Dad coaches, but they usually do stuff like that because the kids typically get things like tuition covered so they don't have to eat up an athletic scholarship.

Typically, dont coaches kids walk-on... I know it's in the same sport that his Dad coaches, but they usually do stuff like that because the kids typically get things like tuition covered so they don't have to eat up an athletic scholarship.
I’m not sure if it’s different at Boise, but Max Rice uses a scholarship and isn’t a walk on.

Even better, fit him for some scarlet and gray!

I’m not sure if it’s different at Boise, but Max Rice uses a scholarship and isn’t a walk on.
He started as a walk-on though out of HS. Im not sure if it was the last season or the 21-22 season where he switched to scholarship player, and possibly because his other brother is a walk-on this year, but Im not sure what the NCAA rules are for family scholarships...

Right now our scholarship players are: Nowell, Webster, Rodriguez, Cottrel, JJ3, Jones. plus Whaley and Hicks that’s 8.

Just assume we get hill and the Boone twins that’s 11 which leaves 2 more if Jones stays
So if we get the ones we expect, Cisse and this kid and we're done

Why would he walk on? St. Louis is in the A-10? Anyway, he has a nice skill set and length. Solid athlete and can run the floor. Let him hit the weight room and continue to develop. It will pay dividends down the road.

Why would he walk on? St. Louis is in the A-10? Anyway, he has a nice skill set and length. Solid athlete and can run the floor. Let him hit the weight room and continue to develop. It will pay dividends down the road.

Why- because if it's like other sports, coaches, his Dad gets that benefit as a coach- same reason why Odoms kids would come here rather than an SEC school that they were being recruited to... it's not about skill or recruiting level, it's about helping the program out.

Why- because if it's like other sports, coaches, his Dad gets that benefit as a coach- same reason why Odoms kids would come here rather than an SEC school that they were being recruited to... it's not about skill or recruiting level, it's about helping the program out.
I don’t see it. He is worthy of a scholarship in the A-10. Give it to him one here. On his dad, he gets no benefit. He is the o-line coach based on his abilities. Are the Odom kids walk ons?

If he was on scholarship at St Louis, he should be on a scholarship here as well. He may already be that 6’10” guy who usually gives us fits wearing a Utah St or Boise St uniform. Put him in our uniform and give him a ride, NOW!

Last edited:
I don’t see it. He is worthy of a scholarship in the A-10. Give it to him one here. On his dad, he gets no benefit. He is the o-line coach based on his abilities. Are the Odom kids walk ons?
Dependents of NSHE staff recieve tuition reductions, grants, and various other forms of aide, which cover costs a scholarship would- His Dad being an employee of UNLV qualifies him for the same.
Since athletic scholarships are limited by NCAA rule, why waste one on a child of a staff member who can qualify for other forms of aide and wants to attend your university... assuming he wants to be at home with his family, that way the program can use the scholarship on bringing in another talented player. Then when one is available, you give it to them...
JT Odom is a walkon I believe. Not saying he doesn't come on scholarship or doesn't get one...

It's also not about being cheap, it's about being smart with roster construction... Heck, Boise did it with both Leon's kids, and they did it to land a Cam Martin from KU.

Reactions: Rebelhustle
Dependents of NSHE staff recieve tuition reductions, grants, and various other forms of aide, which cover costs a scholarship would- His Dad being an employee of UNLV qualifies him for the same.
Since athletic scholarships are limited by NCAA rule, why waste one on a child of a staff member who can qualify for other forms of aide and wants to attend your university... assuming he wants to be at home with his family, that way the program can use the scholarship on bringing in another talented player. Then when one is available, you give it to them...
JT Odom is a walkon I believe. Not saying he doesn't come on scholarship or doesn't get one...

It's also not about being cheap, it's about being smart with roster construction... Heck, Boise did it with both Leon's kids, and they did it to land a Cam Martin from KU.
Here’s the difference, both Leon’s kids were unranked out of HS. Max just happened to be good and earned a scholarship. Also Odom and Rice are the head coach of those programs. This kids dad is the o line coach of a totally different sport, he’s not in the program like the other 2 examples.

I’m not sure of the pay of a MWC O line coach but I’m sure it can’t be great. I’m sure the discounts NSHE gives won’t cover his whole tuition either. In theory it’s a good idea but I don’t think it has a shot of happening.

Reactions: Rebelhustle

The good - He can run the court, handle the ball a little, can use both hands, catch the ball and he's 6'10". Unseen - longer shooting. Bad - it appears he doesn't jump at all, very slim upper body. IMO, he looks like somebody who could be a really nice player by his junior year after working with weights to get upper body muscle. It will really help working against our bigs. I think he could use a redshirt year. Hope we get him and he stays a while.

I was thinking the same thing, if he’s good enough to earn a scholarship at St. Louis, then he’s surely good enough to earn a scholarship at UNLV

This kid is an athlete. He played high school football in Texas as a 6’10” wide receiver and was really good. Kid has great hands and he has good quickness.

Last edited:
Stretch 5? IMO this will be a nice pickup that will payoff down the road

Don’t know if the kid is done growing. According to St. Louis paper he is now 6’11”.

Its a way to save a scholarship, and at a lot of schools, not sure about UNLV faculty children attend tuition free. However as a walk-on there are some benefits you dont receive like the monthly stipend.

Reactions: TimothyC3
When my kids attended UNLV and unr, the tuition was not zero but much less than it would have been. On the other hand, there was no discount for campus housing. I think the kid deserves a scholarship.

I still don’t think this kid will play big minutes for us this year. I want him because I think he will be a good 4 year player but imo he’s not the answer at the 5 for this year.

Reactions: lobbybuu
I still don’t think this kid will play big minutes for us this year. I want him because I think he will be a good 4 year player but imo he’s not the answer at the 5 for this year.
I agree a freshman coming into college can be hard, but I definetly think he will be good for UNLV down the road. Maybe Kalib Boone can play the 5 if we get him and Cottrell and the other Boone play the 4 and hope for another center. That would still be a better improvement from last year with our bigs

We disagree! Right now we have nobody and at least he is capable NOW to play minutes there. He may not be all conference yet but so what, we have zero there now, so agree to disagree!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT