ADVERTISEMENT

Imagine if 5k students showed up for a Runnin Rebel game at the T&M. It’d make a huge a difference. Not losing to DII teams would also help.
They used to... man, those early days in 2008-2012 between Krugers Korner and the early Rebellion days were some peak student section attendance and really made it hard to play at the Mack.. I know it doesnt compare to the Tark days, but almost every game wed sit on those steps 2 or 3 hours before the game so we could run at full pace up the steps to get seats... Itd be great for basketball to get its stuff back together and see that return. But also would be cool to see the student section at football games look like a student section.

• Love
Reactions: LVRebel2000
They used to... man, those early days in 2008-2012 between Krugers Korner and the early Rebellion days were some peak student section attendance and really made it hard to play at the Mack.. I know it doesnt compare to the Tark days, but almost every game wed sit on those steps 2 or 3 hours before the game so we could run at full pace up the steps to get seats... Itd be great for basketball to get its stuff back together and see that return. But also would be cool to see the student section at football games look like a student section.
Yes! I was never a part of that main crew, but definitely stood at the steps at Cox over am hour before games between 2010-2015 while I was a student. Raucous compared to now. Sure, maybe tame compared to Tark, but boy was it fun.

Yes! I was never a part of that main crew, but definitely stood at the steps at Cox over am hour before games between 2010-2015 while I was a student. Raucous compared to now. Sure, maybe tame compared to Tark, but boy was it fun.
Isn't that Dave Rice's era?

Actually, at its peak, which was later Kruger and it ramped up more with Rice, it was comparable to the Tark days. The student section, I mean. It was more imaginative. We were on an island, nothing organized. But UNLV was best in the country, easy to pack when I was a student, easy to be loyal. I loved when the student section rocked 10-15 years ago.

Isn't that Dave Rice's era?
There was a heavy organized effort with an infusion of some backing money and other resources under Rice. The ideas were the students, but a Mozilla took money and creative minds and that’s where the backing came in.

There was grassroots with Kruger but it was adrenalized under Rice and then UNLV wanted all control and it disintegrated.

There was a heavy organized effort with an infusion of some backing money and other resources under Rice. The ideas were the students, but a Mozilla took money and creative minds and that’s where the backing came in.

There was grassroots with Kruger but it was adrenalized under Rice and then UNLV wanted all control and it disintegrated.
This.. If you weren't there 3 or 4 hours prior to tip during the Kruger era, you got relegated to high up the lower bowl. Those later more organized efforts and ideas implementation in the Rebellion were the hard work of many friends and acquaintances.
I still remember when someone in Athletics made the unilateral decision to put the cheerleaders and dance team seats in the first 3 rows directly behind the basket and didnt consult any of the students. That was probably the beginning of the end to those atmospheres.. although the play in the following seasons after Rice got fired didnt help along with what you said about the administration and student government trying to co-opt and control the organic organization that had formed on its own.

This.. If you weren't there 3 or 4 hours prior to tip during the Kruger era, you got relegated to high up the lower bowl. Those later more organized efforts and ideas implementation in the Rebellion were the hard work of many friends and acquaintances.
I still remember when someone in Athletics made the unilateral decision to put the cheerleaders and dance team seats in the first 3 rows directly behind the basket and didnt consult any of the students. That was probably the beginning of the end to those atmospheres.. although the play in the following seasons after Rice got fired didnt help along with what you said about the administration and student government trying to co-opt and control the organic organization that had formed on its own.
My recollection …. As a student, we were packed in, enthusiastic (team gave all the reason) but unorganized during the Tark years. People did what they wanted. Signs, makeup, hair, whatever, it was every man for himself. I frequently did that stuff.

During Bayno years, the Rojos sprouted up, small but organized and enthusiastic. And the Frojos were an offshoot. They were separate but similar, small but energetic and the crowd liked them.
Then there was nothing for a year or two … everyone graduated.
During JRob’s bowl year (2000), there was a meeting at my house with some students and ideas (I wasn’t a student anymore). And it wasn’t super organized, the one thing I do remember is bringing a bunch of spray cans of red paint for the UNR home game and rattling them, eventually tossing them to players as the clock ticked down. It was fun. But that group was the first “Rebellion”. I think I still have that original shirt somewhere.

That was short lived. Maybe two years. After Robinson left, nothing until Kruger’s 4th year, I think, his corner … which grew in number and organization into the new “Rebellion” with all the props and themes ….

This was me in 92 I believe it was …. I didn’t keep my promise.

It looks like there are only a few thousand tickets left in the lower bowl and they are closing in on 28K-30K range. This will be by far the biggest home crowd in the new stadium when only considering UNLV fans.

It looks like there are only a few thousand tickets left in the lower bowl and they are closing in on 28K-30K range. This will be by far the biggest home crowd in the new stadium when only considering UNLV fans.
The San Jose State game last year had to be close. It seemed like SJSU only had like 50 fans there and the rest were unlv. Keep winning and people will show up

25K is cool beat Kansas and that number will go up a lot vs Syracuse. I am pulling for Kansas like I am a Jayhawks fan right now.

It looks like at least 2-4K people didn't show up who purchased tickets.
I call B.S. on on the 24,500. The lower bowl seats approx. 30,000. At least 1/3 of the West side was unfilled plus 1/4 of the East and 1/3 of the North end zone. Also we lose several thousand seats for the unfilled grass entry area in the south end. Real attendance, around 20,000. On the upside - best student attendance I've seen. Without the student attendance would have been in the mid-to-high teens.

I call B.S. on on the 24,500. The lower bowl seats approx. 30,000. At least 1/3 of the West side was unfilled plus 1/4 of the East and 1/3 of the North end zone. Also we lose several thousand seats for the unfilled grass entry area in the south end. Real attendance, around 20,000. On the upside - best student attendance I've seen. Without the student attendance would have been in the mid-to-high teens.
Oh I’m sure that number is BS, but so have been all the other numbers. Bottom line is attendance continues to grow.

Oh I’m sure that number is BS, but so have been all the other numbers. Bottom line is attendance continues to grow.
Exactly. Last year we barely cracked over 20k for Bryant. Of course not all 20k were in attendance but that’s not how these things are tracked.

Bringing 5k more to an FCS season opening home game compared to last year is a big deal and is progress. Of course not where we want it to be, but keep winning this year and see what happens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT