ADVERTISEMENT

#1 UNLV at #2 Arkansas

Doneoett

National Player of the Year
Jun 15, 2015

UNLV has less dunks in the last 8 years than what was thrown down in this game alone. I miss UNLV being this talented and I miss what the college game used to be.

UNLV has less dunks in the last 8 years than what was thrown down in this game alone. I miss UNLV being this talented and I miss what the college game used to be.
Not just because UNLV was great … but players weren’t leaving early and teams benefitted from experienced and talented upperclassmen. Transfers were far fewer. There was a cohesiveness. And players were NOT entitled, they waited their turn and the filled a role.

Not only that, more floor time with more coaches. Look at the defensive stances. Look at the passing angles. Look at the team IQ. The fundamentals were so much higher. Scoring from both blocks, with two hands …

There were at least 7 NBA players on the floor, maybe 8 or 9. That Arkansas team would wipe up current Gonzaga.

The quality of basketball wasn’t close, it’s night and day. And we were fortunate enough to have the best of the best.

Watched at Westcliff Station with all the fellas and ladies from my Angel Park days. Beat down and Oliver Miller's pants is what I remember the most. 40 minutes of Hell served up by the visiting team. The hype was unreal makes me hate Duke even more of what should've been.

Not just because UNLV was great … but players weren’t leaving early and teams benefitted from experienced and talented upperclassmen. Transfers were far fewer. There was a cohesiveness. And players were NOT entitled, they waited their turn and the filled a role.

Not only that, more floor time with more coaches. Look at the defensive stances. Look at the passing angles. Look at the team IQ. The fundamentals were so much higher. Scoring from both blocks, with two hands …

There were at least 7 NBA players on the floor, maybe 8 or 9. That Arkansas team would wipe up current Gonzaga.

The quality of basketball wasn’t close, it’s night and day. And we were fortunate enough to have the best of the best.
Yeah. Have said many times. That the early 90s was the pinnacle of college basketball. If those kids played today, most would have been 1 and done. I mean Johnson, Augmon and Anthony coming back for their SENIOR year. No way that happens today.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Yeah. Have said many times. That the early 90s was the pinnacle of college basketball. If those kids played today, most would have been 1 and done. I mean Johnson, Augmon and Anthony coming back for their SENIOR year. No way that happens today.
They really loved the old man. Probably the most honest and genuine man, white or black, they ever met. Him and Grgurich that is.

Reactions: RebelScrub
Watched at Westcliff Station with all the fellas and ladies from my Angel Park days. Beat down and Oliver Miller's pants is what I remember the most. 40 minutes of Hell served up by the visiting team. The hype was unreal makes me hate Duke even more of what should've been.
It was a rematch of two of the best teams of the past 2 years. We were the original gangsters with young upstarts in Arkansas trying to push us off the mountain. The fact we went into their house and pimp slapped them on national tv in the biggest non-post season college basketball game of the year was simply epic. Made for great tv especially if you were a Rebel fan.

As I watched this game again in its entirety, I was just amazed at how great the Rebels of that era were. The talent, the teamwork, the defense and amazing coaching were not truly appreciated at the time. For those of us that have lived here awhile (44 years for me), I feel both blessed in experiencing those amazing Tark teams, and yet sadness, and increasing frustration in seeing our Rebels BB teams since the Kruger Sr years. Our University President and new AD need to see some of these games such as this one, and make every effort to bring us back to National prominence again. As other posts have mentioned, we should not be satisfied with being average or even above average. Our goal every year should be to win the MWC championship and returning to a Top 25 program. It can be done!

Last edited:
Reactions: 76RunninRebel
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT