ADVERTISEMENT

Zimm

Zimm is at UNLV to prepare for the NBA, nothing wrong with that. You really think he is gonna stay for more than a year when he is expected to be a first round draft pick? I posted my opinions before the RJ, they just happened to support what I said. Not "everyone" disagreed with me either. I hope he proves me wrong.

Unbelievable.

Nothing in Youmans article would lead anyone to question the kids physical or mental toughness. If you want to take credit for someone supporting your opioniin, cite them. I just re-read the article.

I don't see any other RJ articles that would remotely support your OP. Likely because they don't exist. Pretty confident I read every Rebel related article in the RJ.

Your premise about Zimm is false, and you seem to draw phantom conclusions from mystery news articles. All that is fine, but please don't pretend there are others agreeing with you. And please don't pretend multiple articles in the RJ have called into question Zimmermans toughness. That's just wrong.

Last edited:
I like Zimm but the stats are showing he`s not ready for the NBA. He could use another year of improvement. Im not quite sure he can improve with Rice at the helm and in this system.

And in defense of Zimm, he`s being asked to defend grown men in division 1. Its all a learning experience..

But if he leaves early, i dont blame him. Rice surrounds him with retard guards that cant execute the pick and roll

Reactions: Mjs_702
Agree on all counts Scrub.

Id love to see Zimm back another year. He'd clearly benefit from the time to develop.

I'm holding out hope Rice hands starters minuets to Poyser next game and the kid saves the season. I understand that's a little crazy on the optimistic side. Oh well.

Garbage. I love how you say "everyone"... Laughable. "Everyone" in this thread has disagreed with you. I'm not sure you have a good handle on what "everyone" is thinking re: Zimm and his future.

But yes, you're entitled to think whatever you want. Silly or not. I'm sure your opinion on Zims mental and physical toughness was fully justified by something you read in the RJ...
Not taking her side in this debate in any way. I think Zimm is a kid with a ton of talent and upside. It looks like he plays hard and gives great effort.

That said, if it had been Chris Wood getting muscled out of position off a missed free throw like Zimm was, this board would have been crucifying him. They would have said he cost us the game, that if he had secured that rebound we could have run out the clock.

Wood averaged a double double his sophomore year and took nothing but flack the entire season about his lack of effort and how he didn't play hard. All last year Wood got blasted despite posting better numbers than what ZImm is now. Chris Wood went from averaging 3ppg and 3rpg to a double double machine the next year and people called him lazy.

The guy made one of the biggest jumps in production I have ever seen from a player and he gets labeled as having no work ethic, he was soft, he got out muscled he got pushed around by smaller guys etc etc etc.Doesn't a jump in production like that actually say exactly the opposite?

Wood was a much less heralded recruit than Zimmerman and if anything probably exceeded expectations. Yet he was constantly under the microscope on these boards.

Just find it an interesting dynamic that this board circles the wagons to defend Zimmerman but lined up in mass to throw stones at Chris Wood.

I like Zimm but the stats are showing he`s not ready for the NBA. He could use another year of improvement. Im not quite sure he can improve with Rice at the helm and in this system.

And in defense of Zimm, he`s being asked to defend grown men in division 1. Its all a learning experience..

But if he leaves early, i dont blame him. Rice surrounds him with retard guards that cant execute the pick and roll

True he is being asked to defend grown men in division 1, so were guys like Patrick Ewing and Alonzo Mourning and Jalil Okafer and any number of highly touted freshmen big men. Part of playing the position.

It's really hard to compare Zimmerman and Wood at this point- their careers or our reactions to them. Nowhere near enough data. Zim has been around for less than half a season. Wood made no real impact as a freshman.

I love CWood, thought he was a good Rebel. His tendency to fall asleep at key moments led people to question his effort at times. Guys who play amazing in spurts then completely disappear tend to draw scrutiny. Zim is less that type of player.

Had Wood stayed another year he may well have rewrote his legacy. Sadly he chose to roll the dice. I think most everyone wished him well. I don't remember the lining up in mass to throw stones at him either... that's maybe a bit of an exaggeration.

I don't think Chris was lazy, his improvement here was off the charts. If he'd have been drafted he'd be a great player development story for this staff.

Zim was pretty damn good the moment he showed up.

It's really hard to compare Zimmerman and Wood at this point- their careers or our reactions to them. Nowhere near enough data. Zim has been around for less than half a season. Wood made no real impact as a freshman.

I love CWood, thought he was a good Rebel. His tendency to fall asleep at key moments led people to question his effort at times. Guys who play amazing in spurts then completely disappear tend to draw scrutiny. Zim is less that type of player.

Had Wood stayed another year he may well have rewrote his legacy. Sadly he chose to roll the dice. I think most everyone wished him well. I don't remember the lining up in mass to throw stones at him either... that's maybe a bit of an exaggeration.

I don't think Chris was lazy, his improvement here was off the charts. If he'd have been drafted he'd be a great player development story for this staff.

Zim was pretty damn good the moment he showed up.

Chris Wood took a ton of heat on these boards last season. There were far more detractors than not.

Had it been he not Zimm that got outworked for that rebound he would have been shredded.

The throw stones comment was a metaphor obviously and a bit of semantics. But you cannot deny Wood took a lot of unfair criticism for a guy with his type if production. The point remains the same. Had C Wood missed playing time or a game with a thigh bruise or the flu there would have been threads dedicated to his tissue paper like softness.

I disagree. I don't think Chris would have taken heat for missing time with injury or the flu. If he would have, those giving him heat would have been wrong IMHO.

I was here last year too. I really don't remember him catching all that much hell. He got some, but it wasn't like he was a pariah. Guess we can disagree about that too. My point stands as to WHY Wood received more scrutiny than your average player.

You think Chris would have caught more heat for missing that rebound? Ok....
Should have been an over the back foul if we're being honest. Regardless, take away Zim's double double and we'd have gotten destroyed.

Last edited:
Players who play amazingly in short spurts followed by stretches of completely vanishing tend to draw more ire. People see what "could be" so they expect more, and are more frequently let down.

Players who produce more consistently throughout the course of a game are less frustrating for the average fan to watch.

I disagree. I don't think Chris would have taken heat for missing time with injury or the flu. If he would have, those giving him heat would have been wrong IMHO.

I was here last year too. I really don't remember him catching all that much hell. He got some, but it wasn't like he was a pariah. Guess we can disagree about that too. My point stands as to WHY Wood received more scrutiny than your average player.

You think Chris would have caught more heat for missing that rebound? Ok....
Should have been an over the back foul if we're being honest. Regardless, take away Zim's double double and we'd have gotten destroyed.
Then we interpreted things differently last year. I felt the consensus was Wood was a lazy soft player. There were more post about his lack of effort and hustle than there were praising the kid for the dramatic jump in production he made year 1 to year 2. I felt most of the criticism he received was undeserved.

I am in no way contending that Zimm doesn't play hard. Of course his double double was important. I never made the assertion that it wasn't. My only point was had it been Chris Wood it would have been discussed differently on these boards. You disagree which is fine that is the purpose of these boards. More times than not I agree with your takes. On this particular issue we do not agree.

Reactions: Mjs_702
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT