ADVERTISEMENT

Zimm

Rebel Chi-girl

Lottery Pick
Aug 29, 2003
Henderson, NV
I know he is supposed to be our golden boy, but doesn't seem tough enough physically or mentally to play college ball. He gets pushed around under the basket and so far he's missed playing time because of the Flu, an ankle, and now a thigh bruise. Am I just being to tough on the kid?

Reactions: natchampin2
I agree about him getting pushed off the low block to easily. A lot of that is him being young and not physically matured yet. He should get stronger.

As for him being injured, who knows. Not in his body so I don't know what type of pain he was in or the severity of the injury.

I will say this though, when it comes to one and done type players, the potential for business decisions go up. Not saying that is the case with Zimm, but when there is big $$$ in your future you may be less likely to take chances.

Last edited:
I agree about hime getting pushed off the low block to easily. A lot of that is him being young and not physically matured yet. He should get stronger.

As for him being injured, who knows. Not in his body so I don't know what type of pain he was in or the severity of the injury.

I will say this though, when it comes to one and done type players, the potential for business decisions go up. Not saying that is the case with Zimm, but when there is big $$$ in your future you may be less likely to take chances.
I agree on the one and done comment. It is a catch 22 if you don't go hard in college, you won't be ready for the NBA and your draft position will drop. Just ask Chris Woods. I don't think Zimm's head is in the present and it will hurt his future. I don't think he's ready to play with the big boys and won't be until he goes hard for the Rebels and stops getting pushed around.

Reactions: natchampin2
I agree on the one and done comment. It is a catch 22 if you don't go hard in college, you won't be ready for the NBA and your draft position will drop. Just ask Chris Woods. I don't think Zimm's head is in the present and it will hurt his future. I don't think he's ready to play with the big boys and won't be until he goes hard for the Rebels and stops getting pushed around.
Physically I don't think he is NBA ready. But his potential will be to much for some NBA GM to pass up.

He had the flu and ankle sprains happens to basketball players. I know these deep bruises, contusions can be very painful. It seems to me he tried to play but the pain was going to be too much to be effective, especially defensively.

It seems like a really good kid and basketball player has had a run of bad luck if you ask me.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
Zimm is a beast and will destroy the bigs in the MWC. Smart to sit him out with the injury. Need him fresh for conference play. He attempted to come back in and you could tell it was killing him to be on the bench watching his team. I don't see Zimm getting pushed around much like people on here state. He seems to hold his ground very well underneath and on defense. Last year bigs would just back down and push Wood all the way to the basket. Haven't seen bigs do that to Zimm. Look how Zimm started the Arizona game. He was primed to have a huge game. This team has played hard every game all year except one half. Rice needs to continue showing more passion on the sidelines like he did for most of the Arizona game. If the refs would stop picking on Carter and Jones this team will win the conference.

Zimm is a beast and will destroy the bigs in the MWC. Smart to sit him out with the injury. Need him fresh for conference play. He attempted to come back in and you could tell it was killing him to be on the bench watching his team. I don't see Zimm getting pushed around much like people on here state. He seems to hold his ground very well underneath and on defense. Last year bigs would just back down and push Wood all the way to the basket. Haven't seen bigs do that to Zimm. Look how Zimm started the Arizona game. He was primed to have a huge game. This team has played hard every game all year except one half. Rice needs to continue showing more passion on the sidelines like he did for most of the Arizona game. If the refs would stop picking on Carter and Jones this team will win the conference.

I haven't noticed any continued problem with him being backed down either. He has played well, played hard, and it is obvious he is a great teammate and only wants to win.

I am not sure why there would be any reason to suspect any of these things.

I know he is supposed to be our golden boy, but doesn't seem tough enough physically or mentally to play college ball. He gets pushed around under the basket and so far he's missed playing time because of the Flu, an ankle, and now a thigh bruise. Am I just being to tough on the kid?
Yeah you are. Zimm has played when he shouldnt (indiana game) he brings it every day in practice and on the court. He is adjusting to some terrible calls by refs so learning what he can do and can not on the court. You dont have to take my word on this but I can tell you first hand that Zimm gives his all as a Rebel from the day he signed. He is as tough as it gets. He puts team first and brings it. Other teams have to double/triple team this "so called soft guy". I wont tell you what to think but this post is so far off. SMH @ THE CLUELESS

Yeah you are. Zimm has played when he shouldnt (indiana game) he brings it every day in practice and on the court. He is adjusting to some terrible calls by refs so learning what he can do and can not on the court. You dont have to take my word on this but I can tell you first hand that Zimm gives his all as a Rebel from the day he signed. He is as tough as it gets. He puts team first and brings it. Other teams have to double/triple team this "so called soft guy". I wont tell you what to think but this post is so far off. SMH @ THE CLUELESS
Dude relax. I was just asking. I'm not clueless. I guess I just expected he'd be a little more polished from the hype I heard. He has a lot of potential but I don't think he plays as big as he is on defense and I'd like to see him finish harder on his shots. I like him and want to see him succeed.

Dude relax. I was just asking. I'm not clueless. I guess I just expected he'd be a little more polished from the hype I heard. He has a lot of potential but I don't think he plays as big as he is on defense and I'd like to see him finish harder on his shots. I like him and want to see him succeed.
AT LEAST IM CALLING YOU OUT TO YOUR FACE.. EASY TO TALK SHIZNITT ON A BOARD ABOUT A GUY YOU DONT HAVE TO ANSWER TO. RELAX? HAHA .YOU CANT EVEN TAKE ME RESPONDING TO YOUR POST YET YOU CALL SOMEONE ELSE OUT FOR TOUGHNESS. YOU HAVE NO CLUE AS TO WHAT THIS KID HAS MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY DONE OR CAPABLE OF.

Finish harder? Zimm has more dunks so far this year then the whole team had all together the past 2 seasons. Any game Zimm has been healthy for he has put up a double double. Doesnt play big on defense? Lol. Have you not seen the block shots, and numerous altered shots he has created on D?Could he have bigger numbers? For sure he could if he wasn't a team player and didn't pass the ball and if he had a PG who could create for him. The weakness for this team this year, so far, is PG play and coaching. Both of which I saw some improvement on in the Zona game. Which is a great sign for conference play.

Finish harder? Zimm has more dunks so far this year then the whole team had all together the past 2 seasons. Any game Zimm has been healthy for he has put up a double double. Doesnt play big on defense? Lol. Have you not seen the block shots, and numerous altered shots he has created on D?Could he have bigger numbers? For sure he could if he wasn't a team player and didn't pass the ball and if he had a PG who could create for him. The weakness for this team this year, so far, is PG play and coaching. Both of which I saw some improvement on in the Zona game. Which is a great sign for conference play.
Something like this?

Wouldn't mind seeing him make more of those 5-8 ft shots around the rim. Same could be said of carter especially when the offense is sputtering.

He is averaging 9.5 PPG 7.5 RPG 2 BLk 1 APG.

His rebounding should get better as gets he stronger. I also think you will see his assists go up as well. He is a really good passer for a big guy.

His rebounding should get better as gets he stronger. I also think you will see his assists go up as well. He is a really good passer for a big guy.

Thank you Bullmastiff, that is exactly what I was asking. Every player has room for growth and improvement.

Asking if he has room for improvement and questioning his mental and physical toughness are two very different things.

Every player at every level has room for improvement. The reason this thread has brought the reaction it has is because he has done nothing to warrant questioning his toughness.

we just need the ball in his hands more and both points and assists will go up. he really is a difference maker.

I think the Rebels are a better team if Zimm gets more touches/shots. I think he will become a better player-the Rebels a better team as he develops his low post to go along with his post play. More Zimm less one on one 3s.

Zimm is one of the most composed Freshmen I've seen, especially at Forward. He has ball handling and passing skills beyond his years, and has forced some elite bigs to alter their shots in the paint.

By the way they've been calling fouls, he should be drawing a foul when he gets pushed off the block. They won't give them to him, for some reason. Maybe because he's a Freshman. If they would call fouls the same way against both teams in every game, you wouldn't complain about him getting pushed around. He currently has a build for classic basketball that is less contact-oriented, and I'm sure he will bulk up under an NBA franchise next year.

AT LEAST IM CALLING YOU OUT TO YOUR FACE.. EASY TO TALK SHIZNITT ON A BOARD ABOUT A GUY YOU DONT HAVE TO ANSWER TO. RELAX? HAHA .YOU CANT EVEN TAKE ME RESPONDING TO YOUR POST YET YOU CALL SOMEONE ELSE OUT FOR TOUGHNESS. YOU HAVE NO CLUE AS TO WHAT THIS KID HAS MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY DONE OR CAPABLE OF.

Easy there with the caps! In Nevada one of you has to go to jail.

You have some serious issues, you need to calm down.

Reactions: UNLVPhi145
Just ask Chris Woods.

Ask who? Is he related to Kerry Woods? :weary:

As a native Chicagoan myself, I'll apologize for this thread. You seem like a nice person and I don't mean to offend but this is total nonsense. Zimm has done nothing to make anyone question his toughness or effort. End of story.

Last edited:
The ONLY thing Zimm needs to do is get more touches. The ball goes through him. He is the biggest guy on the court and we can't toss him the rock? Give him the ball. The offense needs to flow through him. When they double him, someone will be open, then he can use those great passing skills. But he needs to be options 1-3, then Pat. If I see another 3 from half court 8 seconds into the shot clock and Zimm or Morgan or Carter working to post up...well...What I want to say is I need a dollar every time that happens to pay for my snacks.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
I think he staysone more year...

So he can watch Baby Baller lose to Scrub
:scream:

The way things are going for him, I would think he is here for at least another year. But things change and if he makes some noise in March we could be singing a different tune.

The way things are going for him, I would think he is here for at least another year.

Poyser/Fisher, Pat, Zim, DJ, DM next year? BC, JC, Obekpa, Jackson, Green, CV, CJ off the bench?

It's a discussion for another day, but thats a serious squad.

Ask who? Is he related to Kerry Woods? :weary:

As a native Chicagoan myself, I'll apologize for this thread. You seem like a nice person and I don't mean to offend but this is total nonsense. Zimm has done nothing to make anyone question his toughness or effort. End of story.
Don't apologize for me, I stand by my comments. It is not an indictment of his character, I'm sure he is a great kid from a good Rebel loving family. It is just an observation on his college game development. He is physically beat up after only 12 college games yet thinks he is ready for an 82 game NBA schedule? From the hype I expected this superstar and I'm not seeing it. I'm more critical of him because I expected him to be so much better than our other players. He is here to train for the NBA not necessarily help the Rebels win, like say Ben Carter.

Last edited:
It is not an indictment of his character

Ugh. In your OP you said he wasn't tough enough physically or mentally to play college basketball. Most would consider than an indictmect of his character.

If he looks beat up after 14 games it's because he's been sick and hurt for half of them. He's still probably been our best player, but that's beside the point. You asked if you were being too tough on the kid for questioning his toughness? The answer is absolutely, positively yes. And it's comical how you bang on the kid who is playing through injuries while you defend the underperforming coach in every other thread. Even I can't defend Rebels coaching in their last two games (against real teams)- and few have supported Rice as vocally as I have on this board. Truth is the best thing Rice can do to help Zim at this point is fix the black hole we've had at point guard. Maybe Poyser is the answer, so here's hoping Rice doesn't wait any longer to make the move.

One last item- at no point did anyone hear Zimm say he thinks he's ready for an 82 game season. I have no idea what you're even talking about there. Do you? Regardless of what you think you know, Zimm (like Ben) is here to help his hometown team win. Your assertions about him and his motives appear completely baseless as far as I can see. Rude even.

Happy new year. If your OP had a dislike button, I'd have used it. Go Rebels.

Ugh. In your OP you said he wasn't tough enough physically or mentally to play college basketball. Most would consider than an indictmect of his character.

If he looks beat up after 14 games it's because he's been sick and hurt for half of them. He's still probably been our best player, but that's beside the point. You asked if you were being too tough on the kid for questioning his toughness? The answer is absolutely, positively yes. And it's comical how you bang on the kid who is playing through injuries while you defend the underperforming coach in every other thread. Even I can't defend Rebels coaching in their last two games (against real teams)- and few have supported Rice as vocally as I have on this board. Truth is the best thing Rice can do to help Zim at this point is fix the black hole we've had at point guard. Maybe Poyser is the answer, so here's hoping Rice doesn't wait any longer to make the move.

One last item- at no point did anyone hear Zimm say he thinks he's ready for an 82 game season. I have no idea what you're even talking about there. Do you? Regardless of what you think you know, Zimm (like Ben) is here to help his hometown team win. Your assertions about him and his motives appear completely baseless as far as I can see. Rude even.

Happy new year. If your OP had a dislike button, I'd have used it. Go Rebels.
Everyone refers to Zimm as a 1 & done. When talking about open scholarships everyone has counted Zimm as available. Everything I said as my concerns were reiterated in a couple RJ articles a couple days ago. I'm entitled to my opinion. Not boxing out yesterday on a free throw was huge.

Garbage. I love how you say "everyone"... Laughable. "Everyone" in this thread has disagreed with you. I'm not sure you have a good handle on what "everyone" is thinking re: Zimm and his future.

But yes, you're entitled to think whatever you want. Silly or not. I'm sure your opinion on Zims mental and physical toughness was fully justified by something you read in the RJ...

Last edited:
Garbage. I love how you say "everyone"... Laughable. "Everyone" in this thread has disagreed with you. I'm not sure you have a good handle on what "everyone" is thinking re: Zimm and his future.

But yes, you're entitled to think whatever you want. Silly or not. I'm sure your opinion on Zims mental and physical toughness was fully justified by something you read in the RJ...
Zimm is at UNLV to prepare for the NBA, nothing wrong with that. You really think he is gonna stay for more than a year when he is expected to be a first round draft pick? I posted my opinions before the RJ, they just happened to support what I said. Not "everyone" disagreed with me either. I hope he proves me wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT