ADVERTISEMENT

Youmans: Regents would prefer...

Not after BOR meeting as by then schools like NMST that do not have to wait for such things would be done hiring their new coach and Marvin would be without a job and it would be unlv and boosters and BOR fault. See how that would play on the national stage.

Wrong.

Karl would sell out the Mack, Menzies? The joint will be empty. It's a no-brainer. It's a moronic hire at best.

And I'm not convinced Menzies is even the coach yet (until that contract is approved), big boosters are pissed that Karl was passed up and especially for less.

Tell me more about that please...

Tell me more about that please...
That's what I heard. There are regents and boosters furious about what has just transpired. Jessup and Murphy are not long for those positions and Menzies is far from a done deal. The next 36 hours will be huge. Karl is still interested and a working arrangement may be made (by other parties) during the down time. A lot of money may walk out the door if these idiots succeed in forcing Menzies down everybody's throats.

That's what I heard. There are regents and boosters furious about what has just transpired. Jessup and Murphy are not long for those positions and Menzies is far from a done deal. The next 36 hours will be huge. Karl is still interested and a working arrangement may be made (by other parties) during the down time. A lot of money may walk out the door if these idiots succeed in forcing Menzies down everybody's throats.

HOPE.
Thank you.

Reactions: ThailandReb
I hope this comes into fruition

FYI Menzies never failed at the highest level either he's won at the level he's coached at, so that argument is just as valid as saying Karl could win in the college game.

No it's not. Karl won in the NBA. Menzies won in the WAC. Since when did winning in the WAC become just as impressive as winning in the NBA?

You actually don't think that Karl could win in the Mountain West? With the conference going downhill we don't even have to be that good to win it anymore.

Reactions: Mjs_702
Getting the right coach is more important than the roster for next season. I was excited about literally every roster Dave Rice put together and we all saw how that went. The last couple of years people didn't want him fired because they thought it could ruin the roster.
Wait until you see what Menzies does! (Sarcasm)

People, there is a reason why Menzies is at New Mexico State. And its NOT because he's an amazing coach. Its NEW MEXICO STATE for heavens sakes! Wow

This is no argument at all. Almost every coach (except Dave Rice) builds their resume at lower-tier schools before they move up the chain. Krzyzewski came from Army. And of course Tark spent eight years coaching JC teams before he moved to Long Beach.

What is more important is his success wherever he might be. Yes, I know he didn't beat any Top-25 teams. But he will have better athletes here. We'll have to see how he does with more to work with.

I've read that he wins the games he's supposed to and loses the games he's supposed to. I know that it's meant as a criticism, but I can't help thinking that Dave Rice had a history of knocking off some highly-ranked teams. But he also lost way too many games that he should have won.

Personally I'll prefer Menzies way...

Reactions: TimothyC3
To anyone saying Karl is old and over the hill, Karl is 64. Rick Pitino is 63, Roy Williams is 65, Mike Krzyzewski is 69 and Steve Fisher is 71. Are those guys so old and over the hill that they can't win?

Oh, and Dave Rice was 42 when he was hired. Maybe an older coach is what we need.

^To add to that, Tarkanian was 62 in his last year in Vegas. Was he too old and over the hill to win anymore?

Not everyone ages the same Vegas007, so it's weird that you're trying to make an apples to apples comparisons with other people his age. He is a very old 64. Two time cancer survivor, bout to have knee surgery soon. That's not to say that he can't coach anymore, just that I question the energy he would have entering his first ever college coaching gig. It would basically be his assistants doing all the work and running the show which I'm sure is fine with some people.

Danny that's not the point. People are making stuff up about Karl. They are saying he is over the hill, way past his prime, has lost it, etc. Also, calling him "a very old 64" and saying he is so old and has so little energy that his assistants would do all the work is speculation at best and I think that is weird (it also implies that he can't coach anymore). You can't just say you don't want someone to coach and make up reasons he shouldn't be hired.

George Karl won Coach of the Year in 2013 after he had cancer twice.

Btw, Jim Calhoun won a national championship at age 68 and he had cancer and other health problems before that happened. And Phil Jackson won an NBA Championship after he had hip replacement surgery, was almost the same age as Karl, would have cancer a year later and was not always going to road games because of his health problems.

Reactions: manic water
I think everyone needs to get a grip. If you think UNLV has looked ridiculous up to now, you have no idea how ridiculous UNLV would look if the BOR tried to fire a president over hiring a basketball coach at a mid-major university. I assume there are not enough clueless people on the BOR to entertain anything that damaging to UNLV.

Take a deep breath and say oh crap, and then accept the inevitable fact the Marvin Menzies is the basketball coach.

Agreed. While it would go down in history and always be remembered as the biggest cluster**** hiring ever, best we not go for that distinction.

Menzies will be the guy and he will prob do a better job than most expect.

Menzies might do well here and might actually be a pretty good coach. Even before he left I was never sold on the idea that Beard was better than him. So I'm actually not hating on him. The reason I strongly prefer Karl is when you compare resumes it's not even close between the two.

I think everyone needs to get a grip. If you think UNLV has looked ridiculous up to now, you have no idea how ridiculous UNLV would look if the BOR tried to fire a president over hiring a basketball coach at a mid-major university. I assume there are not enough clueless people on the BOR to entertain anything that damaging to UNLV.

Take a deep breath and say oh crap, and then accept the inevitable fact the Marvin Menzies is the basketball coach.
Would it look as silly as a president firing a coach that wins national championships and is regarded as the top coach in the country?

That would phenomenal then we could be 3 weeks into the signing period before we could recruit, get over it, Menzies is the coach now either support it or leave.

Marvin Menzies is hell of a coach and he can recruit nationally and internationally this will end up being a good hire, equal or better then Cronin or Beard, and an upgrade over Rice, now as to how we got here well thats a different story there is where we need changes but don't fool yourself this is a good hire.

Simple questions.

What makes him a hell of a coach?

His horrible record not only against top 25 but top 100 teams?

His terrible OOC record vs the MWC?

Going winless in 5 trips to the NCAA tournament?

The lack of major interest from anybody else.

The glowing endorsement from former bosses? You know as well as anybody coaches stick together and take care of their own.

I am resigned to the fact he will be our coach.
I will support he and the program like I always have. I hope like hell he proves me wrong and is able to find some level of success here.

What I won't do however, is try and sell this chicken shit hire as chicken soup.

I wish I shared your optimism. I really do..

Last edited:
Would it look as silly as a president firing a coach that wins national championships and is regarded as the top coach in the country?
Joe, that was over 20 years ago. My memory of the events is that Tarkanian resigned, he was never fired. Though I am certainly willing to admit that his resignation was similar to Rice's resignation. Both resigned under pressure.

In any case, that does not change the fact that the current fiasco has every chance to put us back on the radar as a group of clowns, i.e. the BOR, without a clue of how to run a university or athletic program.

It is good to be retired and more of an observer than an actor in this theater of the absurd.

Our University has proven it has no idea how to run an athletic department. It didn't need the BOR's help for that.

Hell of a coach, nationally known recruiter, are you bat s**t nuts! Obviously you've never been to Lost Crues (my spelling) NM. If he was a hell of a coach, he would've never had to coach there! Hey I wish him all the luck here as a fan I have to, but to make a statement like that is ludicrous. That's what I get for taking a break from the Conf. Board for a few minutes. Jeez

Hell of a coach, nationally known recruiter, are you bat s**t nuts! Obviously you've never been to Lost Crues (my spelling) NM. If he was a hell of a coach, he would've never had to coach there! Hey I wish him all the luck here as a fan I have to, but to make a statement like that is ludicrous. That's what I get for taking a break from the Conf. Board for a few minutes. Jeez

That's a confidential board member making those statements.

Guess your stupid little cheap shot at the Tark board back fired huh?

Rebelx is a shill.
Rebeldpt, using rebelx's account, is no shill. Just because somebody doesn't agree with you, and in this case, may like the hire, without being a fan of the admin and the processes that they've used. However, I haven't even made one post since it was rumored that Beard MAY be leaving. I wonder how I go back and relabel them as RebelDPT's posts....oh well.

My opinion is that I'll support Marvin Menzies, and I don't think he's a horrible hire. As far as Karl goes, even digitalturf, who's a friend of Karl's, said that Karl wasn't coming here. You're a fanboy of yourself, and before you attack me (or my brother, posting as me), let me remind you that I and many other posters have left you alone, and let you spread your wings again, however, I still have a recording of your interview with the UNR paper saved somewhere that I'll break out if I have to deal with you going nuts again on these boards. Chill the hell out, and realize that everything you hear, or want, isn't true....you've bought into this Karl story so hard...it's almost (should be) embarrassing.

I guess I admire your positive attitude, much better to be optimistic than wallow in misery like most UNLV fans have been the past few days. But it is a HUGE, huge reach to talk Menzies up like that, calling him "one of the best recruiters in the country" (okay...), etc. I guess if you can convince yourself that he'll magically become all-world here after a very mediocre career to this point, that is great. Again, I wish most of us could have that attitude.

The second part of your post cracks me up because I believe you were one of the sheeple following the common Rebel Net thought that Rice was without-a-doubt going to be an absolutely phenomenal coach, years after it was crystal-clear how incompetent he actually was. And then you go about talking about Menzies much in the same way those of you convinced yourself about Rice (UNLV resources, potential, etc will make him grrrrrreat!!!).
For the record (as I pointed out above, every "rebelx" post since the Beard rumors started, were actually by RebelDPT, my older bro), I was never a Rice "sheeple". In fact, I was initially on the Theus train, and had people convince me that Rice was the guy, despite my gut feeling he wasn't enough of a leader.

I did try and convince myself that he could be the guy for a while, and I didn't believe he should be fired after year three (even if I felt it was heading that way).....he killed himself off with the lack of continuity and consistency....hard to say if Rice could coach, he never had a guy here for more than two years...he never built players up, he just plugged them in and out, and threw them away. You got the wrong guy my friend....my criticism began to build, of Rice, beginning year three...I had my doubts from the beginning.

For the record (as I pointed out above, every "rebelx" post since the Beard rumors started, were actually by RebelDPT, my older bro), I was never a Rice "sheeple". In fact, I was initially on the Theus train, and had people convince me that Rice was the guy, despite my gut feeling he wasn't enough of a leader.

I did try and convince myself that he could be the guy for a while, and I didn't believe he should be fired after year three (even if I felt it was heading that way).....he killed himself off with the lack of continuity and consistency....hard to say if Rice could coach, he never had a guy here for more than two years...he never built players up, he just plugged them in and out, and threw them away. You got the wrong guy my friend....my criticism began to build, of Rice, beginning year three...I had my doubts from the beginning.

That's basically exactly how I was with Rice, 100%. I also wanted Theus (looks like he probably wouldn't have worked out the way we dreamed either, tho impossible to know for sure) but was talked into Rice being the superior option. I was also highly doubtful that Rice would ever be the guy after year 3.

You haven't got a leg to stand on buddy when you were one of the geniuses who supported Tark's removal.

You haven't got a leg to stand on buddy when you were one of the geniuses who supported Tark's removal.
Actually, you give me credit for more influence than I had. I read about Tark's resignation in the RJ just like many other posters.

Actually, you give me credit for more influence than I had. I read about Tark's resignation in the RJ just like many other posters.
Significant influence or not, I'm sure you greeted that news with a far different response than other posters.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the BOR remove this AD and President before voting on Menzies.

Tina should never have been allowed to make this hire to begin with.
this is what ive been on. no way she should have even had inside info on the hire, let alone be a part of the decision. not locked in. no way she she keeps the job. instead she was left to job us all. this was the BIGGEST mistake made.

You openly admire the Great Robert Maxson, and coo at all the wonderful things he did while at UNLV; how he fearlessly and valiantly led the charge to elevate UNLV significantly in several areas. I don't think that is going to win you many points on here either.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
If you want to see UNLV go down in complete flames and think that the discrimination cries regarding Hey Reb have been ridicules, what do you think would happen if the board of regents voted down Menzies. Personally, I believe it is time to stop the attacks and wait and see what happens for better or worse. I think Menzies has very good morals, is ethical both of which are not true with Beard, does have the ability to recruit, and has done a decent job at New Mexico St. which is one of the hardest programs in the West at which to succeed. I am going to fully support him and give him a fair shake since that is the best way in my opinion to move forward.

I guarantee it would cost UNLV at least 100 million or more in bad press as people started to question the reason for voting him down. The only job of the board of regents is to determine if the contract is proper and reasonable. A no vote would be interpreted by many as due to the fact that he is a black coach. A lot of you may not want to hear/read that, but you know that is a 500 lb gorilla that everyone has ignored. I also very well expect that Jessup is smart enough to know that this is the case, and that this direction is the best way to go for everyone.

At this point the best damage control like or hate Menzies is to approve him, let him do his job as coach, and go after the person who we all know has caused the problem. TKM

If you want to see UNLV go down in complete flames and think that the discrimination cries regarding Hey Reb have been ridicules, what do you think would happen if the board of regents voted down Menzies. Personally, I believe it is time to stop the attacks and wait and see what happens for better or worse. I think Menzies has very good morals, is ethical both of which are not true with Beard, does have the ability to recruit, and has done a decent job at New Mexico St. which is one of the hardest programs in the West at which to succeed. I am going to fully support him and give him a fair shake since that is the best way in my opinion to move forward.

I guarantee it would cost UNLV at least 100 million or more in bad press as people started to question the reason for voting him down. The only job of the board of regents is to determine if the contract is proper and reasonable. A no vote would be interpreted by many as due to the fact that he is a black coach. A lot of you may not want to hear/read that, but you know that is a 500 lb gorilla that everyone has ignored. I also very well expect that Jessup is smart enough to know that this is the case, and that this direction is the best way to go for everyone.

At this point the best damage control like or hate Menzies is to approve him, let him do his job as coach, and go after the person who we all know has caused the problem. TKM
so after it being determined that the players were holding the program hostage because they had coaches they wanted to play for, it is now the case that the fans are being held hostage by the administration to save face? meanwhile the players whom offered their futures are being roasted for being quitters. well fk it, i quit too. they sold us on unicorns and golden ended rainbows for the future and brought us mediocre to save their own jobs. this entire process was a gd disgrace. and yes, those people involved will find they are on the way out. doesnt mean any of us have to sit here and suck it up. i dont dislike menzies. but in the end, the only thing that changed was that the program we all live and die for was made to look like a fkng carnival side show.

Good post.

F it, i'm on board. I doubt i'll pay as much attention to UNLV hoops as I have in the past, at least not unless/ until Mediocre Marv shows some capability. but it's still my team and school. Always will be.

You are right that it's not the man's fault. I guess there is a slim chance he takes it up a step too with more resources to succeed here than he ever dreamed of in Las Cruces.

I foresee a continuation of the pattern he's established to this point of his career, which is inability to hang with the big boys. But i'll be rooting for him.

Painfully I've come to the conclusion that i have to agree with your post.

What happens when you allow a panicked, incompetent puppet to lead your beloved athletic department? You get a national embarrassment and a coach nobody else wanted.

This is a bad hire but that's not Marvin's fault. Landing a job over vastly superior candidates is a testament to Menzies, even if it was a lame duck buffoon who hired him.

TKM needs to go immediately. Our next AD can begin the process of restoring credibility to this athletic department and establishing expectations for the basketball coach we sadly made him/her inherit.

F it, i'm on board. I doubt i'll pay as much attention to UNLV hoops as I have in the past, at least not unless/ until Mediocre Marv shows some capability. but it's still my team and school. Always will be.

You are right that it's not the man's fault. I guess there is a slim chance he takes it up a step too with more resources to succeed here than he ever dreamed of in Las Cruces.

I foresee a continuation of the pattern he's established to this point of his career, which is inability to hang with the big boys. But i'll be rooting for him.

Yup.

No chance I renew my tickets until someone new is running our athletic department. This whole correupt, bungling, unprofessional process has been another slap in the face to our alumni and community. I'll be rooting for the Rebs from home until Tina gets hers.

Marv actually has a decent chance to succeed when you consider the fact that our resources and city are vastly superior to the majority of our competition. His resume does nothing to excite anyone, but he's never had an opportunity like this either.

Go Rebels. And go away Tina.

Last edited:
Yup.

No chance I renew my tickets until someone new is running our athletic department. This whole correupt, bungling, unprofessional process has been another slap in the face to our alumni and community. I'll be rooting for the Rebs from home until Tina gets hers.

Marv actually has a decent chance to succeed when you consider the fact that our resources and city are vastly superior to the majority of our competition. His resume does nothing to excite anyone, but he's never had an opportunity like this either.

Go Rebels. And go away Tina.

Couple of questions.

Are your season tickets balcony? Or lower bowl with the RAF donation?

Reason I ask is this. On the confodential board I wrote a thread about this very topic.

I have lower bowl seats. I cancelled them yesterday. I will end up getting tickets later in balcony seating for this year. This way I still support, but the carnival of fools doesn't get my 1000 dollar RAF donation.I will lose some of the perks of being a RAF member but so be it.

If you have balcony seating wait until the 11th hour to renew. Let them sweat.

I would urge people to email Jessup and Murphy and tell them this charade needs to end.

We can't change our head coach at this point, but we can raise enough of a stink to ensure that Tina is fired or not renewed as our AD.

I do think it would be funny if the entire lower bowl were empty for just the season opener.

Like I said email Jesssup and Murphy. Explain that you are going to withdraw RAF support if change isn't made. Either Jessup fires Tina, or she steps down.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT