ADVERTISEMENT

Youmans: Regents would prefer...

That would phenomenal then we could be 3 weeks into the signing period before we could recruit, get over it, Menzies is the coach now either support it or leave.

Marvin Menzies is hell of a coach and he can recruit nationally and internationally this will end up being a good hire, equal or better then Cronin or Beard, and an upgrade over Rice, now as to how we got here well thats a different story there is where we need changes but don't fool yourself this is a good hire.

Reactions: s89103
Menzies career at nmsu is nothing to get excited about but yall are crazy thinking karl is a good idea.

Hall of fame coach that has never coached college BB and wanted 2 million a year and would need to hire a full staff all of which except supposedly 1 would need to be certified to coach in the NCAA before they could recruit and this only started after the week waiting on the board of regents so yes 3 weeks later into the spring signing period with a roster in flux and ravished with APR looming. I absolutely would turn down a hall of fame NBA coach to take one of the best recruiters in the country who has strong national and international connections and was mentored by Pitino, Kruger and Fisher and could start today, sometimes when the Sheeple follow each other over the cliff it isn't for substance its for the emotion, this is a very good hire by UNLV, give him UNLV resources and potential and Menzies will win big.

george karl is way beyond his prime

Disagree. And his staff certainly wouldn't be. A guy like John Welch comes to mind.

Then, it doesn't really matter. Over the hill, under the hill, wherever you want Goerge Karl is a great basketball coach. Comparing his resume to Marvin Menzies and picking Mwnzies is just batspit crazy..

Disagree. And his staff certainly wouldn't be. A guy like John Welch comes to mind.

Then, it doesn't really matter. Over the hill, under the hill, wherever you want Goerge Karl is a great basketball coach. Comparing his resume to Marvin Menzies and picking Mwnzies is just batspit crazy..

I would see Welch as the heir apparent. He's a NLV guy and we could do a lot worse of that happens.

Not picking Karl is dumb if true. But now that decision is made you cannot have another soap opera that would take a few weeks to sort out. At this late date even getting a mediocre roster together would be a miracle. Twisting in the wind a few more weeks makes even fielding a team this fall questionable.

Also then you are playing with Marvin's life saying the job is his and then yanking it from him.

Karl would have been great long term but going from nba to college in a few days with no great college recruiter with him would have made it real tough to get a team together for this fall.

Reactions: ThailandReb
Karl is 64. That's not so bad. Phil Jackson won a championship at 64. Guys have coached at an older age than that.

Reactions: Mjs_702
I don't really care that much about the fact that he never coached college. He would coach less than half the number of games he is used to coaching in the NBA. And some of those games will be against cupcakes so college should actually be easier and less stressful for him in a lot of ways. Opposing coaches won't be as good as the coaches in the NBA.

And college players would respect him more easily than spoiled NBA players making millions of dollars. Especially when the college players are the guys he recruits.

Menzies never coached and succeeded at the highest level. He succeeded in the WAC.

Getting the right coach is more important than the roster for next season. I was excited about literally every roster Dave Rice put together and we all saw how that went. The last couple of years people didn't want him fired because they thought it could ruin the roster.

I absolutely would turn down a hall of fame NBA coach to take one of the best recruiters in the country who has strong national and international connections and was mentored by Pitino, Kruger and Fisher and could start today, sometimes when the Sheeple follow each other over the cliff it isn't for substance its for the emotion, this is a very good hire by UNLV, give him UNLV resources and potential and Menzies will win big.

I guess I admire your positive attitude, much better to be optimistic than wallow in misery like most UNLV fans have been the past few days. But it is a HUGE, huge reach to talk Menzies up like that, calling him "one of the best recruiters in the country" (okay...), etc. I guess if you can convince yourself that he'll magically become all-world here after a very mediocre career to this point, that is great. Again, I wish most of us could have that attitude.

The second part of your post cracks me up because I believe you were one of the sheeple following the common Rebel Net thought that Rice was without-a-doubt going to be an absolutely phenomenal coach, years after it was crystal-clear how incompetent he actually was. And then you go about talking about Menzies much in the same way those of you convinced yourself about Rice (UNLV resources, potential, etc will make him grrrrrreat!!!).

People, there is a reason why Menzies is at New Mexico State. And its NOT because he's an amazing coach. Its NEW MEXICO STATE for heavens sakes! Wow

You do realize that coaches have to test and certify to recruit in the NCAA right, nobody said these guys weren't qualified however as you may or may not understand UNLV's roster contains 2 players and zero recruits, the spring signing period started Friday, so if we had to wait to get a deal done with Karl after he wanted to wait, get his assistants approved and the board of regents that would severely hamper the ,mere thought of saving the roster at all.
It has little to do with next years roster if the new coach can't recruit or save some of the roster the school will be banned form any future postseason short term due to academic progress, hopefully you geniuses understand there is more to hiring a coach then just coaching. Timing is very important of you don't want this program go into a 5-7 year tailspin.
FYI Menzies never failed at the highest level either he's won at the level he's coached at, so that argument is just as valid as saying Karl could win in the college game.
I'm not saying Karl is a bad fit just not the right fit right now there is some urgency that just didn't work and for 2 million pass especially when you saw the circa the regents put on for Beard

I guess I admire your positive attitude, much better to be optimistic than wallow in misery like most UNLV fans have been the past few days. But it is a HUGE, huge reach to talk Menzies up like that, calling him "one of the best recruiters in the country" (okay...), etc. I guess if you can convince yourself that he'll magically become all-world here after a very mediocre career to this point, that is great. Again, I wish most of us could have that attitude.

The second part of your post cracks me up because I believe you were one of the sheeple following the common Rebel Net thought that Rice was without-a-doubt going to be an absolutely phenomenal coach, years after it was crystal-clear how incompetent he actually was. And then you go about talking about Menzies much in the same way those of you convinced yourself about Rice (UNLV resources, potential, etc will make him grrrrrreat!!!).
I liked Rice, I also Liked Kruger, did you see Steve Fishers quote_ comment nobody has a bigger recruiting base then Marvin Menzies.

I'm not sure where everyone has this belief that George Karl would be a slam dunk hire lots of speculation and first off Welch is on pace fort an NBA job he's not sitting on UNLV's bench as an a assistant, thats why this stuff is garbage most of it is extremely inaccurate trust me..

Reactions: ThailandReb
FYI Menzies never failed at the highest level either he's won at the level he's coached at, so that argument is just as valid as saying Karl could win in the college game.

Hey man, again I respect your optimism but this is Mediocre Marvin Menzies' record "at the highest level" (in the NCAA)......

0-5 in the NCAA, 0-6 total in the postseason

0-16 vs. P5 schools and 0-14 vs. top 25 schools

Some would call that failing at the highest level (in the NCAA).

a dreadful 1-11 in his past 12 games vs. MWC, terrible records vs. the MWC teams overall.

Some would call that failing at the mediocre MWC level.

You make very little sense Rebelx. I disagree with most of what you just said. Some of it I find completely bizarre.

Different strokes I suppose. I think you're wrong, but I won't call you names. We can disagree In a civil manner.

I liked Rice, I also Liked Kruger, did you see Steve Fishers quote_ comment nobody has a bigger recruiting base then Marvin Menzies.

I'm not sure where everyone has this belief that George Karl would be a slam dunk hire lots of speculation and first off Welch is on pace fort an NBA job he's not sitting on UNLV's bench as an a assistant, thats why this stuff is garbage most of it is extremely inaccurate trust me..

I completely agree with you about Karl, I said as much the other day regarding him. I'm skeptical about his commitment and abilities at this point in his carer. Not nearly as high on him as some others on this thread.

That said I just don't see any upside with Mediocre Menzies. Who knows, stranger things have definitely happened, maybe he will take a huge step up at UNLV. I just don't see it though. Karl would at least have a sky-high ceiling and allow us to still have hope of future greatness. With Menzies, I see a lot of future mediocrity.

Well we shall see Mjs? Well I find it very bizarre your so sold on Karl. Please explain why this is a slam dunk and no not just what you read on the internet.
Honestly don't get the Karl infatuation especially with a lot of the inaccurate info about Karl and assistants on Twitter.

Reactions: Danny The Donger
Karl would sell out the Mack, Menzies? The joint will be empty. It's a no-brainer. It's a moronic hire at best.

And I'm not convinced Menzies is even the coach yet (until that contract is approved), big boosters are pissed that Karl was passed up and especially for less.

That would phenomenal then we could be 3 weeks into the signing period before we could recruit, get over it, Menzies is the coach now either support it or leave.

Marvin Menzies is hell of a coach and he can recruit nationally and internationally this will end up being a good hire, equal or better then Cronin or Beard, and an upgrade over Rice, now as to how we got here well thats a different story there is where we need changes but don't fool yourself this is a good hire.

This is completely false.

Reactions: manic water
Not picking Karl is dumb if true. But now that decision is made you cannot have another soap opera that would take a few weeks to sort out. At this late date even getting a mediocre roster together would be a miracle. Twisting in the wind a few more weeks makes even fielding a team this fall questionable.

Also then you are playing with Marvin's life saying the job is his and then yanking it from him.

Karl would have been great long term but going from nba to college in a few days with no great college recruiter with him would have made it real tough to get a team together for this fall.

Menzies would just go back to NMSU.

Also a reason Georg Karl was just fired so.... and his alma mater UNC has never hired him either
There is also a reason Menzies has never been offered another job while at NMSU. I challenge you to give me the name of a successful coach that has never been fired.

There is also a reason Menzies has never been offered another job while at NMSU. I challenge you to give me the name of a successful coach that has never been fired.

Coach K. Bill Self. Mark Few. Tom Izzo. I'm sure the list is very long in college. In NBA, getting fired is a badge of honor, though.

Reactions: Mjs_702
Hall of fame coach that has never coached college BB and wanted 2 million a year and would need to hire a full staff all of which except supposedly 1 would need to be certified to coach in the NCAA before they could recruit and this only started after the week waiting on the board of regents so yes 3 weeks later into the spring signing period with a roster in flux and ravished with APR looming. I absolutely would turn down a hall of fame NBA coach to take one of the best recruiters in the country who has strong national and international connections and was mentored by Pitino, Kruger and Fisher and could start today, sometimes when the Sheeple follow each other over the cliff it isn't for substance its for the emotion, this is a very good hire by UNLV, give him UNLV resources and potential and Menzies will win big.
Huh? Ladies and gentlemen Ed Graney has graced the board with his presence. I never knew you went by Rebelx until now. Wow what a load of crap you're spewing.

Menzies would just go back to NMSU.

Not after BOR meeting as by then schools like NMST that do not have to wait for such things would be done hiring their new coach and Marvin would be without a job and it would be unlv and boosters and BOR fault. See how that would play on the national stage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT