ADVERTISEMENT

WTF! We are 2-7 in the last 9 games! After a 10-0 Start, SMFH!!

Do we Finish above .500 for the Season ?

• Total voters
Not sure where we will finish. Not sure that this season is salvageable either.

All I can hope is that if CKK gets Year 3, that he learns from this season in a big way because of the games we very nearly won and lost, we lost because of his inexperience. I'm rooting for him.

Go Rebels!

Reactions: AnthemRebel
That Kevin fell in love with the trapping and switching d is the main problem. Any team that will pass from side to side kills it. Even Tark with his beat teams had more than one defense.

All I can hope is that if CKK gets Year 3, that he learns from this season in a big way because of the games we very nearly won and lost, we lost because of his inexperience. I'm rooting for him.

Go Rebels

Go Rebels!
This offseason is going to be HUGE. Talent has to be improved. LIKE ALOT!

That Kevin fell in love with the trapping and switching d is the main problem. Any team that will pass from side to side kills it. Even Tark with his beat teams had more than one defense.
I don’t want to say Tark was lucky, but he had great to solid defenders during the heyday and they could just go straight up and diffuse offenses. The length and quickness and IQ was off the charts. It was difficult to get past Greg, Anderson and Stacy with the ball.

Obviously, he completely stymied Duke with the matchup/Amoeba.

And he did go with nearly an entire season zone when we went 26-2. First few games were M2M, I think we started 3-2 at the start and he scrapped it for zone, strong anchors in that zone with Elmore Spencer. And at LBSU and probably earlier, he employed zone. The guy was a hoops guru. He could beat you with his guys and he could probably beat you with your guys.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
I think we go 15-16. Three more wins and out in the 1st round of the MWCT. Hopefully, Erick Harper ends the Kevin Kruger experiment after that. At a minimum, Kevin Kruger will have A LOT of explaining to do with him in their end of year meeting.

Reactions: rebel5280
I think we go 15-16. Three more wins and out in the 1st round of the MWCT. Hopefully, Erick Harper ends the Kevin Kruger experiment after that. At a minimum, Kevin Kruger will have A LOT of explaining to do with him in their end of year meeting.
15-16 seems very realistic now and if that really is our record at the end of the year, Kruger doesnt even need to explain. He has to go lol

15-16 seems very realistic now and if that really is our record at the end of the year, Kruger doesnt even need to explain. He has to go lol
There lies the problem. Hiring CKK put UNLV in a bad spot. How many DIV 1 schools would of done what we did in hiring a rookie coach regardless to ties?? It might work out still. Learning as you go is usually not the formula to success. Now trying to be loyal and give CKK enough time to build HIS team will be either our windfall or failure. Recruits see the struggle and his inexperience (if not other coaches tell them) and may be not wanting to pull the trigger and sign with us. I hope his staff our great salesman!

Reactions: Trax0r and lobbybuu
There lies the problem. Hiring CKK put UNLV in a bad spot. How many DIV 1 schools would of done what we did in hiring a rookie coach regardless to ties?? It might work out still. Learning as you go is usually not the formula to success. Now trying to be loyal and give CKK enough time to build HIS team will be either our windfall or failure. Recruits see the struggle and his inexperience (if not other coaches tell them) and may be not wanting to pull the trigger and sign with us. I hope his staff are great salesman!

There lies the problem. Hiring CKK put UNLV in a bad spot. How many DIV 1 schools would of done what we did in hiring a rookie coach regardless to ties?? It might work out still. Learning as you go is usually not the formula to success. Now trying to be loyal and give CKK enough time to build HIS team will be either our windfall or failure. Recruits see the struggle and his inexperience (if not other coaches tell them) and may be not wanting to pull the trigger and sign with us. I hope his staff our great salesman!
Kevin Kruger is a LOUSY recruiter!

I think we give it another two to three years. Of course, the Pac12 and ESPN and CBS will decide before 2024 season planning starts what happens to FSU, SDSU, BSU and UNLV. I think were in with Odom. Basketball powers would rather keep Kruger than have a SEC assistant coach take over. Kruger will be all right. Reason, he had a bunch of short guys who he had to gimmick into a defense. His assistants left him high and dry with their top targets. This set the program back as opposing coaches are easily able to overcome UNLV offers at that point. A Power 5 conference will change all of that.

Reactions: Trax0r
I think we give it another two to three years. Of course, the Pac12 and ESPN and CBS will decide before 2024 season planning starts what happens to FSU, SDSU, BSU and UNLV. I think were in with Odom. Basketball powers would rather keep Kruger than have a SEC assistant coach take over. Kruger will be all right. Reason, he had a bunch of short guys who he had to gimmick into a defense. His assistants left him high and dry with their top targets. This set the program back as opposing coaches are easily able to overcome UNLV offers at that point. A Power 5 conference will change all of that.
He recruited short, strong defenders by design, yet they have completely regressed. I don’t think all of that is the increase in competition.

He whiffed on basically every 2022 priority recruit when he had Buckley, Chappell, and Hartman.

I would accept all three assistants leaving as an excuse if he was getting the most out of what he had. But it’s clear that he is not.

Reactions: rebel5280
He recruited short, strong defenders by design, yet they have completely regressed. I don’t think all of that is the increase in competition.

He whiffed on basically every 2022 priority recruit when he had Buckley, Chappell, and Hartman.

I would accept all three assistants leaving as an excuse if he was getting the most out of what he had. But it’s clear that he is not.
I don’t buy that it’s a gimmick defense. The switching man was what his dad ran. His dad had better defenders though and even then, it still has some limitations.

No way he gets 2-3 more years here! If he gets anything, it should be based on who he recruits this year and how they play next year. If he collapses at any point next season, out of confer or during MWC play, he should be gone by next season’s end! And I wouldn’t be opposed if AD Harper put an e d to Kevin at the end of this season. They pulled the trigger on Arroyo earlier than most here thought they would and that move was a good one. We will see about Kevin staying here another year soon!

No way he gets 2-3 more years here! If he gets anything, it should be based on who he recruits this year and how they play next year. If he collapses at any point next season, out of confer or during MWC play, he should be gone by next season’s end! And I wouldn’t be opposed if AD Harper put an e d to Kevin at the end of this season. They pulled the trigger on Arroyo earlier than most here thought they would and that move was a good one. We will see about Kevin staying here another year soon!
Do you realize if they ran KK out of here quick that every established coach would talk to Lon K and he would tell them not to trust Unlv. You think a move can be made in a vacuum, it cannot as there are many things to consider.

If he isn't better than Menzies (as measured by conference wins) then he shouldn't get more time than Menzies.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
Do you realize if they ran KK out of here quick that every established coach would talk to Lon K and he would tell them not to trust Unlv. You think a move can be made in a vacuum, it cannot as there are many things to consider.
There are no absolutes in anything and a lot of people here said the same thing about firing Arroyo after the season… other established coaches would avoid us, yeah right! Can you say Barry Odom! We disagree on this, it’s all good.

Reactions: mwsn7022012
I don’t think we have the money to fire CKK at the end of the year regardless of the results. From a financial perspective, we went all in on football (finally). I do think that if the money is somehow there and we don’t win another game (highly unlikely), Harper will pull the trigger. I was impressed with how he handled the football search and I feel he delivered about as good as we could all have hoped for given that it’s UNLV and all. He’s motivated and doesn’t appear to be afraid to make moves…it’s about time we have someone with some balls running the department. No knock on TKM or DRF, I’m sure they had a decent set of balls too.

There are no absolutes in anything and a lot of people here said the same thing about firing Arroyo after the season… other established coaches would avoid us, yeah right! Can you say Barry Odom! We disagree on this, it’s all good.

Also Erick Harper..

Exactly...Arroyo wasn't a coach's son that was probably doing UNLV a ton of favors behind the scenes....there's no issue firing KK at some point if he doesn't deliver but now isn't the time

Reactions: LocoRebel
I don’t think we have the money to fire CKK at the end of the year regardless of the results. From a financial perspective, we went all in on football (finally). I do think that if the money is somehow there and we don’t win another game (highly unlikely), Harper will pull the trigger. I was impressed with how he handled the football search and I feel he delivered about as good as we could all have hoped for given that it’s UNLV and all. He’s motivated and doesn’t appear to be afraid to make moves…it’s about time we have someone with some balls running the department. No knock on TKM or DRF, I’m sure they had a decent set of balls too.
I can’t believe we went from him being poached to firing him in just one month.

Losing sucks, it always sucks, losing to bad teams sucks worse, and losing streaks with bad teams in there sucks the most. I agree, it sucks.

But firing? Are we going to go year to year with coaches? Two years? I was a proponent of canning Marv the Moron in year three, I’ll fully admit … but Christ … come on now. Whether he ultimately makes it or falls on his face, two years is just unfair …

Losing sucks, it always sucks, losing to bad teams sucks worse, and losing streaks with bad teams in there sucks the most. I agree, it sucks.

But firing? Are we going to go year to year with coaches? Two years? I was a proponent of canning Marv the Moron in year three, I’ll fully admit … but Christ … come on now. Whether he ultimately makes it or falls on his face, two years is just unfair …
I’ll be on the “fire Odom” bandwagon after his first loss so he better handle Michigan or else!

I agree with you and believe it would be unfair and I wouldn’t agree with the decision if it came down…even under the far fetched circumstance that I described. It would be extraordinary to can a coach after two years, especially one that seems to have support from the administration, with such a small sample size. I just wouldn’t be surprised, hardly anything will after the meltdown that has unfolded. Gotta give the guy a chance and I am actually interested to see how he responds in the off-season if the slide continues (really hoping it doesn’t). I feel that will tell us a great deal about his ability, perseverance and leadership. If we move on after one bad stretch (even though it’s been abysmal), it says more about the administration than it does CKK.

Reactions: Trax0r
Looked up a few team stats. As expected 3pt field goal percentage defense is 272nd in the nation. 286th in rebound margin. 2nd in turnover margin. 152nd in overall fg percentage defense.

The great turnover margin is more than cancelled out by the bad rebound margin and bad 3pt fg percentage defense.

And all that together spells we are an average defense

Looked up a few team stats. As expected 3pt field goal percentage defense is 272nd in the nation. 286th in rebound margin. 2nd in turnover margin. 152nd in overall fg percentage defense.

The great turnover margin is more than cancelled out by the bad rebound margin and bad 3pt fg percentage defense.

And all that together spells we are an average defense
Agreed. Too few peaks and too many valleys within just our defense. Many became mesmerized by the high volume of turnovers forced. But look at some of those huge numbers and who they were against. I won’t call it smoke and mirrors because I DO think they are pretty active and good with forcing turnovers …

Agreed. Too few peaks and too many valleys within just our defense. Many became mesmerized by the high volume of turnovers forced. But look at some of those huge numbers and who they were against. I won’t call it smoke and mirrors because I DO think they are pretty active and good with forcing turnovers …
+ the turnovers are only good if you can get points off them. In conference play that has been reduced significantly from OOC.

+ the turnovers are only good if you can get points off them. In conference play that has been reduced significantly from OOC.
Every year our success in conference is very low! Is that coaching or players, who knows? But I do know SDSU is getting courted by the Pac 12 and we are not. If we continue to waste time with teams that can’t consistently shoot, rebound, defend and cannot think their way out simple problems during a game (IQ) then we can watch expansion take place without us. So long Bid12 or Pac13 hello MWC/Big Sky conference!

Every year our success in conference is very low! Is that coaching or players, who knows? But I do know SDSU is getting courted by the Pac 12 and we are not. If we continue to waste time with teams that can’t consistently shoot, rebound, defend and cannot think their way out simple problems during a game (IQ) then we can watch expansion take place without us. So long Bid12 or Pac13 hello MWC/Big Sky conference!
"Is that coaching or players, who knows? "

The coach gets the players and the coach coaches the players. It's the coach.

"Is that coaching or players, who knows? "

The coach gets the players and the coach coaches the players. It's the coach.
Then my question is, do the AD and President seethe urgency and pull an Arroyo on Kevin, regardless of feelings of a few and move on from Kevin at season’s end?

I was really shocked to see to see the last 9 games. The start was so strong. Kevin is a first time hc at this level. There is always a learning curve. But is his potential there?
It seems like he has lost the team

I was really shocked to see to see the last 9 games. The start was so strong. Kevin is a first time hc at this level. There is always a learning curve. But is his potential there?
We agree on this! I was so high on the turnover margin numbers translating to road wins in the MWC that I forgot about the fact that we can’t shoot the rock with any consistency. I knew our bigs were a huge weakness and teams have exploited this but the not being able to take advantage of the turnovers created with buckets never crossed my mind!

He has definitely not lost the team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT