ADVERTISEMENT

Who's excited for the Beard?

Who's excited for the Begining of the Beard?

• Yes, I've ditched the razor already

Votes: 54 77.1%
  • No, the plastic man should be our guy

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • There are other candidates we should be pursuing

Votes: 11 15.7%

• Total voters
Not the resume I wanted. Not the guy anybody wanted two weeks ago. Definitely the guy everyone wants out of this apparent "final 2" we've been left with.

Considering the bungling, toxic AD we allowed to run the search we could have done a lot worse. Beard has upside at least.

In 13 months Chris Beard is going to go from a D2 high school gym in West Texas to Jerry Tarkanian's old job. That's probably more impressive than the 30 win Sun Belt season.

Last edited:
From the surface it looks that way but dig a little deeper, we could have struck oil. This guy could be a very, very good hire if his trending continues.
actually if we can nail down beard im stoked. not as stoked as i would be on augmon, but moreso than about every name that has come up that this program hasnt lost already.

I hope Stacey and Miller stay.

No idea if they will. If I had to bet on it my guess would be Miller stays on as AHC and Stacey starts looking for a low level HC job elsewhere.

Wonder if Angelo State is open?

On the serious side, I take back my previous statement- I don't hope Stacey stays. He needs to leave.

I want him to be a head coach somewhere immediately. He's only 47 and the opportunity to come back for this job may present itself. Maybe soon, who knows.

He'd be a spectacular hire for some little program. Go get that experience Stacey.

Reactions: manic water
Im excited... Blind resumes 32-3 wins first trip to NCAAs, 30-5, wins first trip to NCAA... People wouldve been stoked for a,Brad Underwood hire, well, thats what we got, 2 years earlier and a heck of a lot cheaper. Hes a winner, hes animated, and hes byilt for the likely scenario facing UNLV Next season, a rebuild but still be competitive. Some of You all are acting like we hired Hutson.. An outstanding hire, guess its true, a blind squirrel really can find a nut occasionally.

And now this painful search is over I'm officially VERY excited to see what comes next.

Who stays, who goes... takes confidence for a player to stick around with a new coach coming in. This will be revealing for some.

Departures to be expected but I'm hopeful a couple of guys in particular get on board with Coach Beard.

I'm just relieved the roller coaster ride is over. A couple things have to happen to at least save next season from being like Krugers first is I hope he can keep Miller on staff and then re-recruit current players and the verbal recruits. That would make going into the season exciting.

I upgraded my seats after Krugers first season because there were so many open seats so if you ever wanted too this might be the time to get better seats.

Beard hasn't signed anything yet guys. He's been chosen, but until that dotted line is scribbled on, it's still talk.

I watched ALR play in this year's NCAA....That team would have beaten us on a neutral court..meaning he had a better team at ALR than we have here.

I like this hire. Beard will come in and turn heads the same way he has at his previous schools. He's a young, intense coach who gets results. UNLV fans will love this guy.

In true Vegas fashion this is a role of the dice.

The things we gotta love are:
1. Took a team that won 13 games the previous year to a 30 win team including an NCAA tourney win.
2. Beat San Diego St. at Viejas
3. Gained some coaching experience under Bobby Knight
4. Good price?

Question marks include:
1. The longest he has been at a school as a head coach is 2 years.
2. He has only one year of experience as a division I head coach (but it's one more year than our last coach)
3. Can he recruit?
4. Which players are staying?
5. Which coaches (if any) are staying

I like the hire and the "role of the dice". If the game against Duke next season holds up and Beard and the Rebels win that one then he will be solidified instantly.

I watched ALR play in this year's NCAA....That team would have beaten us on a neutral court..meaning he had a better team at ALR than we have here.

A healthy Rebel squad this year was very good as they beat Indiana and Oregon. No way ALR had more talent than the Rebels! With better coaching and some luck with avoiding the injury bug the Rebs could have had a very successful season

Long time lurker...I like what I see in Beard! Tons of upside! Plus, I have another reason to grow the "Beard" out for basketball season! I'm going to be honest, I will support whomever this crazy administration hires because when it all comes down to it, this is my town, this is my team!

It's definitely a crap shoot. He's done well at other schools in the DII level and had a good run at UALR, but the jumping from ship to ship is a little worrisome. The last thing I want is another Hauck, but for basketball. It's a gamble for sure.

Reactions: Mjs_702
So if everbody bolts and we finish between 5th or 7th in the conference, how is that any different than the last two years with them here?

Last edited:
the jumping from ship to ship is a little worrisome.
He changed jobs because he's successful and ambitious. Rice had the latter.
The guy is a disciplinarian and a blue collar, roll up your sleeves and get stuck in,kind of coach. Exactly what's needed around here right now. I'll take worth ethic and accountability over undisciplined potential. I've had enough of dunks in the layup line.

As for pace, what does that matter if they can't put the ball in the basket and get stops at the other end?

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
UALR has announced Beard's departure for UNLV. UNLV and Beard's agent apparently still working out details.

Don't expect any Runnin'. Tempo this past year was near last in the country at 345 per kenpom...

Honestly pace concerns me very little. I'll be happy watching whatever pace wins and gets kids to want to play here.

Keeping Miller (and Fisher) is going to be huge. That's Beard's first key recruiting target right there.

Last edited:
Reactions: RebelRhino
So if everybody bolts and we finish between 5th or 7th in the conference, how is that any different than the last two years with them here?
The difference will (hopefully) be that the program will be spiraling UP instead of down!

Oh, and filling up seats in the T&M again wouldn't hurt.

The difference will (hopefully) be that the program will be spiraling UP instead of down!

Oh, and filling up seats in the T&M again wouldn't hurt.

It was a little bit of sarcasm.

People are worried about a possible rebuild.
All I care about is seeing this team create some type of identity. If it takes 2-3 seasons to get the program back on track so be it.

Totally agree with you.

I wanted to see Augmon get a shot, but knew that it wasn’t going to happen…

I have a pretty good feeling about Beard. He may not be a “run-n-gun” guy, but after the last 4 years, I’m willing to go with a slower brand of ‘ball if it translates into wins and NCAA appearances. I just hope that the life-line that Kruger and Rice established with our history can somehow be maintained under Beard.

So a new era of UNLV basketball has begun. Go Rebels!!!

Reactions: Mjs_702
“The guy can coach and he can recruit, and you’ve got to have both,” Pat said. “He’s hungry. He’ll get it done. It’s a good job. UNLV should be winning.”

Pat Knight talking about Beard. I especially liked the last few sentences.

IMHO he's about as good as we were ever going to get. Only problem is that he WILL take the first P5 job that offers and then we're right back here.

IMHO he's about as good as we were ever going to get. Only problem is that he WILL take the first P5 job that offers and then we're right back here.

that perception and fact will always be the same no matter who we hire unless we get into the that P5 category. if we do, he will stay as would any other coach

I keeping reading all of this P5 stuff about how those schools will come and take him. If he is really a big success here, there is more than enough money to out bid almost any of the P5 schools. Most P5 school do not put a lot of money into basketball and have nowhere near the ticket sales potential we have in LV. My understanding is that they did make an offer for Petino that was in the range of what he makes at Louisville. I believe if he does very well, that same money will show up to keep him.

Very excited. Last thought is that he comes here is successful and jumps. I think UNLV has enough resources to keep a successful MBB coach happy. I am really looking forward to next season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT