ADVERTISEMENT

New Offense

LVRebel2000

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2011
Las Vegas
Any word on how things are going with our new offense for the football team? Someone stated that Weimer is leaving because he got beat out for the starting slot position. Not sure if this is true or not, but it got me thinking about how the offense is progressing in general.

@lobbybuu
@AA Insider

Is Brum the clear cut #1 QB at this point, or TBD?
How about WR's? I'm assuming Ricky White is a lock, but who else are the likely starters?
What sort of lineup are we looking at? In terms of # of RB's, WR's, line, etc? Single TE, dual TE's? No TE's? I really don't know much about this system so appreciate the input.

Thanks in advance.

Any word on how things are going with our new offense for the football team? Someone stated that Weimer is leaving because he got beat out for the starting slot position. Not sure if this is true or not, but it got me thinking about how the offense is progressing in general.

@lobbybuu
@AA Insider

Is Brum the clear cut #1 QB at this point, or TBD?
How about WR's? I'm assuming Ricky White is a lock, but who else are the likely starters?
What sort of lineup are we looking at? In terms of # of RB's, WR's, line, etc? Single TE, dual TE's? No TE's? I really don't know much about this system so appreciate the input.

Thanks in advance.
My only valuable input is that De Jesus is the WR recruit that I wanted the most so it doesn’t surprise me if he starts. I was hopeful that Weimer would become Wolff, Jr, but that never materialized.

Great question, by the way. I’ll love to hear any strategy-based responses.

Haven’t kept up with stuff as much as I’d like, but last I heard is that while Brumfield does hold the number 1 spot currently, that others were pushing. As far as Weimer goes, not really too many reasons to transfer this close to the start of camp so him getting beat out does make sense as one of the reasons one might leave at this point. `

The way I see it is if someone that contributed to the level Weimer did last year gets beat out, that can only be a positive to where things currently sit. The negative, of course, is that it is big blow to our depth. Which is always murky to begin with most years.

Haven’t kept up with stuff as much as I’d like, but last I heard is that while Brumfield does hold the number 1 spot currently, that others were pushing. As far as Weimer goes, not really too many reasons to transfer this close to the start of camp so him getting beat out does make sense as one of the reasons one might leave at this point. `

The way I see it is if someone that contributed to the level Weimer did last year gets beat out, that can only be a positive to where things currently sit. The negative, of course, is that it is big blow to our depth. Which is always murky to begin with most years.
Good take.

Yeah, agreed. I am also curious about what sort of sets we're running. How many WR's on the field typically, vs RB's, TE's, etc. Or do they mix it up a lot with different sets. I know it's supposed to be pretty up tempo, so I'm assuming they mostly stay with a typical set, but I'm just speculating.

Yeah, agreed. I am also curious about what sort of sets we're running. How many WR's on the field typically, vs RB's, TE's, etc. Or do they mix it up a lot with different sets. I know it's supposed to be pretty up tempo, so I'm assuming they mostly stay with a typical set, but I'm just speculating.

Brumfield will start unless something drastic happens.

White, McKie, transfer Dom Gicinto, DeJesus, transfer Landon Rogers, transfer Gavin Thomson will be the main group. Freshman DeAngelo Irvin has impressed in the slot. Griffin and Bradford will see some time.

Nothing against Weimer but I was told that he saw how explosive the WR room got. Made his decision from there. Couldn't get out of his own head.

2 RBs on the field at all times. Vincent Davis will be a starter, Reese is second rn, I expect Lester to be third. All will see lots of time.

Based on that video by @WarthogRebel , it looks like it's the standard may be running 1 TE, 2 WR's, 2 RB's. Just after the 2 minute mark, they showed multiple times where they run a 2 TE set. After the 5 minute mark, they did a direct snap to one of the RB's. Looks like there will be a lot of options from this offense, and it will keep the defense on their heels a bit.

Brumfield will start unless something drastic happens.

White, McKie, transfer Dom Gicinto, DeJesus, transfer Landon Rogers, transfer Gavin Thomson will be the main group. Freshman DeAngelo Irvin has impressed in the slot. Griffin and Bradford will see some time.

Nothing against Weimer but I was told that he saw how explosive the WR room got. Made his decision from there. Couldn't get out of his own head.

2 RBs on the field at all times. Vincent Davis will be a starter, Reese is second rn, I expect Lester to be third. All will see lots of time.
Too bad. Weimer has a good skillset that could be utilized. Run blocking for instance. Using his body for 50/50 balls.
Dude was a juco AA and a captain on the team last year. Not an insignificant loss

Too bad. Weimer has a good skillset that could be utilized. Run blocking for instance. Using his body for 50/50 balls.
Dude was a juco AA and a captain on the team last year. Not an insignificant loss
I agree that its not an insignificant loss; the new staff liked him a lot. but its not much you can do if he was always in his head.

I can tell you that they really really really like Gicinto and Rogers. Both will contribute a lot.

new offense will take some time to get up to speed. We will need to be patient because it is going to take a lot of practice time. When we start flipping plays to the Opposite side of the field it will drive the Defense nuts. I really like the fact that we will be very unpredictable. Once we get enough repetitions we will be able to run our offense against anyone.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
The coaches know what they are doing and the players have had Spring ball and will have Summer camp to get things done. I want to move past the “we need to have patience” mantra around here. We have been nothing but patient, it’s time to move on from having a losing “low bar” mentality. Say it with me 6-6 or better, the offense will “click” by the first game, see that wasn’t so hard. We need to get use to having expectations as Rebel fans and I think Odom is capable of meeting the higher expectations needed around here!

The coaches know what they are doing and the players have had Spring ball and will have Summer camp to get things done. I want to move past the “we need to have patience” mantra around here. We have been nothing but patient, it’s time to move on from having a losing “low bar” mentality. Say it with me 6-6 or better, the offense will “click” by the first game, see that wasn’t so hard. We need to get use to having expectations as Rebel fans and I think Odom is capable of meeting the higher expectations needed around here!
Totally agree. We move from one coach to another with sky high expectations. Then when they don't pan out, we change. I really hope that Odom and staff will show progress right from the very first game through-out the season. Then I will believe that the right changes were made. Really looking forward to what's ahead.

There are reasons to expect a quick turnaround.
Part of that are the schemes. A selling point with this particular offense is that is supposed to be a relatively quick learn. Remember when we got blasted by Howard? That was their first game using that offense that year. Coach Marion has talked about developing that offense at the high school level as a way to maximize talent (often lesser talent) to win immediately.
I've seen less about Odom's/Scherer's approach on defense. but I think I did hear that they like to develop a defense around the players that they have vs having a set scheme and trying to force fit a specific approach on a team regardless of personnel.

And let's be real. Odom's first year IS NOTHING like Arroyo's first year. Sanchez's last year had poor depth, a poor defense with most of their decent contributors graduating or leaving at (least on defense). Arroyo did have to deal with COVID, severely limiting his first recruiting year, practices too. He also definitely had an offensive scheme that was vastly different from Sanchez/Cotton. Arroyo also put up 2 of the top classes in the conference while he was here. Say what you want to say about him, but he could recruit.

So Odom's cupboard is much better filled coming in. Sure some defections, but not bad considering a coaching change. He also plays a style that has at least been advertised as quick to pick up. Simple reads since the odd front forces the defense to show their hand a bit more.

It doesn't mean that we are going to have our best year in decades. But combined with one of our weaker ( at least preseason) schedules in quite some time, I think it could be.

Remember Rome wasn't built in a day. I look at it similar to when Mike Leach took over Texas Tech and Wizzo. Run the plays over and over again until it becomes 2nd Nature. When I talk about being patien I'm only talking about our non-conference schedule. We are playing 2 Big games back to back (Michigan and Vanderbilt) to start the sseason.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT