ADVERTISEMENT

Who was the best pure shooter to play at UNLV.

Yes, he played just one season at UNLV at UNLV and they did not make the tournament...That said his four appearances in the NBA All-Star Game and his NBA Championship (with Coach Grg) give him more All-Star-Games and rings than those Rebels-In-The-Rafters combined...I cannot put him in the "no way" category.
I just don't think after college accolades should count towards college credit for number retirement. Otherwise we might have to have Lou and Joel be considered, JR Rider too (who, in my opinion, is far, far more deserving than Shawn). I think Wink Adams is above Shawn if we are talking number retirement at UNLV. Does Bennett get retired? Great numbers as a frosh, has done nothing in the NBA, but was UNLV's second #1 in the draft... No chance.

I'm not trying to downplay Shawn's NBA career - it was fabulous. But at UNLV, he was a great player with great numbers on a mediocre team and he only played one season. And he didn't have a huge impact on overall team success, IMO. And to be quite honest, it was hard to watch him be personally punked by Jerryl Sasser in three games against a garbage SMU squad who upset UNLV in all three of those games.

Sudden Sam was good.... but him nor any of these other guys even sniff Bank's jock strap...

To write that you obviously never saw Sam Smith actually play. Sam shot 52 and 51% respectively the two seasons he played at UNLV. And a large number of those shots came from 22-25 feet from the basket.

The way the offense was designed for those two seasons it was for people like Robert Smith and Reggie Theus (Owens to a little lesser extent) to break down the defense and if the defense tried to stop dribble penetration kick it out to people like the Sam and Tony Smith, Gondrezick and Owens for perimeter jumpers (it was dribble drive offense before the term really existed). Because of his unlimited range Sam was vital to its success. Its crazy to think how many more points Sam would have amassed had the three point line been in effect when he played.

In comparison, Freddie's best season he shot 46% and the one season (86-87) the three point line was in effect as far as the NCAA (the PCAA had a shorter three point line before) he shot 43%. Certainly very respectable but guys like Travis Bice, Ken Gibson and Joe Darger shot as good if not a better percentage on a decent number of attempts. Freddie could do more off the dribble then Sam and was a better pure scorer, but in terms of actual range and accuracy Sam was better and by a decent margin.

Just one memory that immediately comes to mind about Sam's accuracy and range was the game at Hawaii during the 75-76 season. Sam finished with around 32-33 points and shot around 15 for 20 in the game. Just about every shot he took was at least 23-24 feet from the hoop and he had two or three makes from literally a couple of steps inside the half court line. As the game went on even the Hawaii fans were oohing and awing at Sam's range and accuracy.

One name I haven't seen mentioned that at least deserves some is Larry Anderson. Larry likewise didn't have the benefit of playing with the three point line but he was the designated bomber, floor stretcher, in the early 80's and other than a bit of a slump during the 82-83 season always shot in the high 40% range. He was a very respectable shooter.

I just don't think after college accolades should count towards college credit for number retirement. Otherwise we might have to have Lou and Joel be considered, JR Rider too (who, in my opinion, is far, far more deserving than Shawn). I think Wink Adams is above Shawn if we are talking number retirement at UNLV. Does Bennett get retired? Great numbers as a frosh, has done nothing in the NBA, but was UNLV's second #1 in the draft... No chance.

I'm not trying to downplay Shawn's NBA career - it was fabulous. But at UNLV, he was a great player with great numbers on a mediocre team and he only played one season. And he didn't have a huge impact on overall team success, IMO. And to be quite honest, it was hard to watch him be personally punked by Jerryl Sasser in three games against a garbage SMU squad who upset UNLV in all three of those games.

Eh, we will choose to disagree. Comparing Bennett-Lou-Joel-JR to a player with four all-star rings (Shawn) is substantially apples and oranges. I would support either's induction.

Before Shawn Marion? Thoughts?
yes, in my opinion, in order to hang in the UNLV rafters, you have to do something special for/at UNLV. Marion didn't. it really doesn't matter to me if he wins a championship with 4 different teams in the NBA. if you want to hang his jersey in Phoenix or Dallas, i'm good with that.

another thing for me is the time spent at UNLV. 4 years will always be better than 1 (S Augmon, W Adams, F Banks vs. S. Marion, A Bennett).

yes, in my opinion, in order to hang in the UNLV rafters, you have to do something special for/at UNLV. Marion didn't. it really doesn't matter to me if he wins a championship with 4 different teams in the NBA. if you want to hang his jersey in Phoenix or Dallas, i'm good with that.

another thing for me is the time spent at UNLV. 4 years will always be better than 1 (S Augmon, W Adams, F Banks vs. S. Marion, A Bennett).
I'm in complete agreement. I do believe that honoring the school with the commitment comes into play. I don't blame Shawn, he was lotto. Likewise for AB. LJ was only two years, but he showed loyalty and won big and was the best in the country (we all know he was a no brainer).

I think the more you slap around the retired numbers, the cheaper the honor is. There should be a hard cutoff and I don't think Shawn approaches it in any way, shape or form.

Ernie, remember how, after the Rebels had run, and run, for the first 4 or so minutes, the other team would be wearing diwn, and Sam would come in to the game, and hit a 25+ foot shot?

The opponents would just melt. Man, that was great. Incidentally, he can still shoot. Slower, but still good.

I'm in complete agreement. I do believe that honoring the school with the commitment comes into play. I don't blame Shawn, he was lotto. Likewise for AB. LJ was only two years, but he showed loyalty and won big and was the best in the country (we all know he was a no brainer).

I think the more you slap around the retired numbers, the cheaper the honor is. There should be a hard cutoff and I don't think Shawn approaches it in any way, shape or form.

Definitely on board here. It is very important not to trivialize it, it should be the highest honor. I also agree about time served. With LJ we are talking about being the key player on 2 of the best teams of all time.

If you have 2 or less years in you better have done something very special.

A number retired at UNLV is based on what you do at UNLV.

Reactions: the Florian Trout
Tark always said sudden sam was the best shooter he ever coached. Banks was a better player, though, and probably was better at putting himself in position to shoot.

If we are talking just shooters--nobody has mentioned Chace Stanback. His senior year he shot 45% from 3 on over 5 attempts per game. He had an 8 for 9 game and a 9 out of 11 game that were pure shooting clinics. From the past Travis Bice was an amazing shooter when open and Ken Gibson could make it rain as well. All of these players have flaws but in terms of just shooting were great.

None of these players were Freddie Banks or Anderson Hunt in terms how good of a basketball player they were....but this thread isn't about that.

As for the guys in the early 80s and 70s I wasn't around to see them. The first team I really remember was the 85-86 squad.

Rashad Vaughn..

He was actually drafted in the 1st round

I have been away for a few days, just want to sprinkle a few facts amongst the various opinions.

Yes, Sidney Green was at UNLV for four years. His teams NEVER won a game in the NCAA Tourney; lost in the NIT semi-finals as a frosh, lost in the second round of the NIT to Murray State (at the Convention Center) as a sophomore, did not qualify for any post-season-play as a junior, lost their first game in the NCAA Tourney to a lesser-seeded team as a senior. His name should be displayed in the rafters in front of recruits over Shawn because he was here for four years? Don't agree.

Carolina has nearly 50 players honored in the Dean Dome with banners representing their numbers hung from the rafters. Putting a multiple-time NBA All-Star's banner on display for recruits to view would cheapen the honor at UNLV? Don't agree.

If you make "NBA-All-Star" as a benchmark to be in the rafters, I doubt if the Rebels will run out of space. If they do, well, happy-days-are-here-again! Let me suggest that "NBA All-Star" is a hard enough cutoff.

I have been away for a few days, just want to sprinkle a few facts amongst the various opinions.

Yes, Sidney Green was at UNLV for four years. His teams NEVER won a game in the NCAA Tourney; lost in the NIT semi-finals as a frosh, lost in the second round of the NIT to Murray State (at the Convention Center) as a sophomore, did not qualify for any post-season-play as a junior, lost their first game in the NCAA Tourney to a lesser-seeded team as a senior. His name should be displayed in the rafters in front of recruits over Shawn because he was here for four years? Don't agree.

Carolina has nearly 50 players honored in the Dean Dome with banners representing their numbers hung from the rafters. Putting a multiple-time NBA All-Star's banner on display for recruits to view would cheapen the honor at UNLV? Don't agree.

If you make "NBA-All-Star" as a benchmark to be in the rafters, I doubt if the Rebels will run out of space. If they do, well, happy-days-are-here-again! Let me suggest that "NBA All-Star" is a hard enough cutoff.
Absolutely, positively Sid should be held in much, much higher regard than Shawn. Maybe he never won an NCAAT game, but at least he had some post season (maybe Shawn did too, maybe an NIT loss at Nebraska? Can't recall for sure). But Sid did at least lead the team to the tournament. Wasn't he part of UNLV's first ever #1 team? And Sid tatters the UNLV record book.

The NBA doesn't matter a bit with a UNLV retirement as far as I'm concerned. If NBA success was important, I guess Shawn's number should be lifted before LJ, Stacey, Greg, Theus, Sobers, etc. Because Shawn had a better NBA career than all of them.

Reactions: the Florian Trout

it's a UNLV retirement, not basketball career retirement.

should Dantley Walker have his jersey retired? he also had 1 year at UNLV and his high school numbers crush all. i'm kidding, i know High School isn't the NBA, but it seems like you are forgetting that the NBA is NOT UNLV.

we don't have a lot up there, but that makes it more special. by the time a player leaves UNLV you without a shadow of doubt should know if he deserves to have his jersey up there. it shouldn't come down to how he does AFTER he leaves.

If we are talking just shooters--nobody has mentioned Chace Stanback. His senior year he shot 45% from 3 on over 5 attempts per game. He had an 8 for 9 game and a 9 out of 11 game that were pure shooting clinics.

Pretty good call right here. Chace was a little streaky, but many shooters are. When he was on, he was on.

Best single shooting game by a Rebel since 2000 might have been the Wink Adams' game against BYU at the T&M. It was an absolute clinic.

Reactions: Dloch002
Absolutely, positively Sid should be held in much, much higher regard than Shawn. Maybe he never won an NCAAT game, but at least he had some post season (maybe Shawn did too, maybe an NIT loss at Nebraska? Can't recall for sure). But Sid did at least lead the team to the tournament. Wasn't he part of UNLV's first ever #1 team? And Sid tatters the UNLV record book.

The NBA doesn't matter a bit with a UNLV retirement as far as I'm concerned. If NBA success was important, I guess Shawn's number should be lifted before LJ, Stacey, Greg, Theus, Sobers, etc. Because Shawn had a better NBA career than all of them.

We just disagree...My view is colored with UNLV's recruiting & UNLV's branding. Cannot imagine why one would not want to make a NBA All-Star part of it's brand with kids & parents that watched him win a NBA championship. Shawn and Steve Francis were both JUCO kids that entered the NBA Draft the same year after playing just one season of major-college hoops; both made All-Star Games in the NBA. Francis has a banner hanging in the Comcast Center, while Shawn doesn't at the TMC...I agree with Maryland's thinking in marketing/branding their association with their NBA All-Star.

it's a UNLV retirement, not basketball career retirement.

should Dantley Walker have his jersey retired? he also had 1 year at UNLV and his high school numbers crush all. i'm kidding, i know High School isn't the NBA, but it seems like you are forgetting that the NBA is NOT UNLV.

we don't have a lot up there, but that makes it more special. by the time a player leaves UNLV you without a shadow of doubt should know if he deserves to have his jersey up there. it shouldn't come down to how he does AFTER he leaves.

Nah, you didn't play the DANTLEY WALKER card, did you? Wow.

More seriously, with HS kids now, it is 99.9% about the NBA...Branding/marketing your association with a multiple NBA All-Star Game participant is good business; especially in the recruiting game. Steve Francis played one year at Maryland after playing in JUCO; then appeared in NBA All-Star Games. His banner hangs at the Terapin's Comcast Center. Bob McAdoo played one year at Carolina after Vincennes JUCO (same school as Shawn) and he has a banner at the Dean Dome after playing in NBA All-Star Games...Oh hell, what do Maryland and Carolina know about hoops?

My bad.

Kenny Gibson was very proficient. Sure he was slow and the team sucked but I remember him making a lot of open 3's.

I knew the real Ralph Readout, Ralph wouldn’t have trivialized Sid’s impact at UNLV the way you did. In terms of productivity he put up just as good if not better numbers than Marion, and did it over four seasons, not one.

As important, if not more, you cannot underestimate the off the court impact Sid Green had on the program. Sid was one of the very top prospects of the class of 1979 which a good number of analysts believe is among the best classes, if not the best, in prep basketball history (Ralph Sampson, Sam Bowie, Isiah Thomas, Dominique Wilkins, James Worthy, Byron Scott and Jim Paxson among others).

He could have gone anywhere in the country he wanted to. When Larry Brown got the UCLA job he did everything he could to land Sid (and with Larry that is a lot). Even with all the offers Sid chose UNLV.

He chose UNLV at a time when the program was just coming off probation, which unlike today really was practically a death sentence, virtually no coach survived probation back then. After missing out on prep standouts like David Greenwood, Gig Sims and Albert King, the program had to rely primarily on JC players and transfers, along with some good but less than heralded prep players for a couple of years during probation.

For a player of Sid’s status to sign with UNLV signaled the program was back on the recruiting map. Two classes later the staff landed McDonald’s All-American’s Dwayne Poole and Eldridge Hudson the year following, recruiting continued to improve from there. Without Sid coming who knows what course recruiting would have went had he not come.

The other major impact he had on the program was the 1982-83 season. Yes the season ended on a sour note, but it was a great season overall, and was the first time in program history the program was ranked number one in the country. In other words, a major benchmark achievement for the program.

And Sid Green with his 21 points/12 rebounds a game had an awful lot to do with the success of that season. Following a string of decent to subpar seasons after probation a lot of people questioned whether or not the program would ever get back to where it was in the mid 70’s. The overall success of that season restored quite a bit of optimism for the future that the program could be nationally relevant again.

Shawn Marion put up some strong individual numbers during the one season but it was part of one of, if not the most, underachieving teams in the history of the program. Obviously not all his fault as there were quite a few problems with that team and coaching staff, but it definitely diminishes his numbers/impact.

His NBA career is certainly worthy of getting him in the mix for the Basketball Hall of Fame. Likewise, what does that really have to do with his impact at UNLV? His brief time certainly didn’t lead to any renaissance for the program following his departure.

Sure there are a good number of the guys hanging in Carolina’s rafters who had good to great NBA careers, but I am willing to bet the overwhelming number of them also made a positive impact on UNC during their time there. You mention Steve Francis at Maryland. Yes, he only played there a season but as I remember Maryland had a great season and I believe made it to the sweet 16.

At the very least no way in hell should Marion go up before people like Eddie Owens, Freddie Banks and Anderson Hunt. Wink Adams is a more deserving candidate.

Reactions: MauiRebel
I knew the real Ralph Readout, Ralph wouldn’t have trivialized Sid’s impact at UNLV the way you did. In terms of productivity he put up just as good if not better numbers than Marion, and did it over four seasons, not one.

As important, if not more, you cannot underestimate the off the court impact Sid Green had on the program. Sid was one of the very top prospects of the class of 1979 which a good number of analysts believe is among the best classes, if not the best, in prep basketball history (Ralph Sampson, Sam Bowie, Isiah Thomas, Dominique Wilkins, James Worthy, Byron Scott and Jim Paxson among others).

He could have gone anywhere in the country he wanted to. When Larry Brown got the UCLA job he did everything he could to land Sid (and with Larry that is a lot). Even with all the offers Sid chose UNLV.

He chose UNLV at a time when the program was just coming off probation, which unlike today really was practically a death sentence, virtually no coach survived probation back then. After missing out on prep standouts like David Greenwood, Gig Sims and Albert King, the program had to rely primarily on JC players and transfers, along with some good but less than heralded prep players for a couple of years during probation.

For a player of Sid’s status to sign with UNLV signaled the program was back on the recruiting map. Two classes later the staff landed McDonald’s All-American’s Dwayne Poole and Eldridge Hudson the year following, recruiting continued to improve from there. Without Sid coming who knows what course recruiting would have went had he not come.

The other major impact he had on the program was the 1982-83 season. Yes the season ended on a sour note, but it was a great season overall, and was the first time in program history the program was ranked number one in the country. In other words, a major benchmark achievement for the program.

And Sid Green with his 21 points/12 rebounds a game had an awful lot to do with the success of that season. Following a string of decent to subpar seasons after probation a lot of people questioned whether or not the program would ever get back to where it was in the mid 70’s. The overall success of that season restored quite a bit of optimism for the future that the program could be nationally relevant again.

Shawn Marion put up some strong individual numbers during the one season but it was part of one of, if not the most, underachieving teams in the history of the program. Obviously not all his fault as there were quite a few problems with that team and coaching staff, but it definitely diminishes his numbers/impact.

His NBA career is certainly worthy of getting him in the mix for the Basketball Hall of Fame. Likewise, what does that really have to do with his impact at UNLV? His brief time certainly didn’t lead to any renaissance for the program following his departure.

Sure there are a good number of the guys hanging in Carolina’s rafters who had good to great NBA careers, but I am willing to bet the overwhelming number of them also made a positive impact on UNC during their time there. You mention Steve Francis at Maryland. Yes, he only played there a season but as I remember Maryland had a great season and I believe made it to the sweet 16.

At the very least no way in hell should Marion go up before people like Eddie Owens, Freddie Banks and Anderson Hunt. Wink Adams is a more deserving candidate.

Best pure shooter at unlv was Katin Reinhart. Sorry ....

Marion had little support at UNLV. He did his part (more than people expect) while playing and then some. Probably not number retirement enough though. Wish these former players would come back and support the program more though.

The only former players I know who have offered any significant financial support to the program are Cliff Findlay and Joel Anthony. Please feel free to add to the list if I'm missing any.

The only former players I know who have offered any significant financial support to the program are Cliff Findlay and Joel Anthony. Please feel free to add to the list if I'm missing any.

That's all I've heard of as well. Joel donated and didn't even have a huge contract. Think of guys like LJ, Theus, JR Rider, Greg Anthony and Marion. You know the millionaires. Or even just coming to a few games and helping to support and promote the program. I know LJ showed up to a couple games and sat by tark. That was very cool and got the fans excited. Wish we saw more of that. A few players pretty good about coming to events and games, like Hunt and El Hud. I see john flowers and semanski at games as well.
But the one former player that bugs me the most for not coming to a game is Danny Tarkianian. He came to the game his father was honored at but, that's it. His father being I'll still came to games yet no danny sitting by him. Why I could never vote for him. Holds a grudge and not thankful for the support the university and community did give him and his family.

Sam Smith and not even close. Loved Freddie but Sudden Sam was lights out from the moment he crossed half court. Question wasn't who the best player was but who was the best shooter. Tony Smith from Saginaw Michigan wasn't too bad either. Imagine those teams with a 3 point line. Scary

[QUOTE="... Sudden Sam was lights out from the moment he crossed half court.[/QUOTE]

Curtis Terry, lol? I still remember us being down by what seemed like 45 and he stepped across the line and nailed a 3, sparking a comeback. He did that a few times. I wouldn't say he was "pure", but he sure was "undaunted".

I really think Lou and a Wink deserve consideration for rafters. I think you have to consider the time (years) a player plays and what that player meant to the program. I'm not sure the committee is looking at any players right now which seems to be a shame.

Even Booker (Vince) was a hot shot from outside.

This makes me laugh. I played with Vince at Cheyenne and he couldn't hit a damn thing to save his life back then. I was proud of what he became through hard work. If there was 1 person on our teams, besides myself, who we thought would never play D-1 basketball it was Book...yet he was the only one who made it to D-1. Aaron Henderson would have played at Utah had he not decided to come home after Dixie (pregnant girlfriend). It's sad that Aaron, 17 years later still regrets that move and is still talking about would "coulda been." He's still successful in life but its painful to hear him talk about it.

BTW, I vote for Banks as a "pure" shooter but Gibson was pretty deadly. He couldn't create his own show, but him stepping into a kickback 3 was always going in...unless it didn't.

Agree that Wink's number should be considered. He lead UNLV to their last Conf championship. WOW how long ago was that. Have played pick up ball with Wink a few times and he doesnt miss. Just toys around with everyone. Hits NBA 3's at will in pick up games.

That's all I've heard of as well. Joel donated and didn't even have a huge contract. Think of guys like LJ, Theus, JR Rider, Greg Anthony and Marion. You know the millionaires. Or even just coming to a few games and helping to support and promote the program. I know LJ showed up to a couple games and sat by tark. That was very cool and got the fans excited. Wish we saw more of that. A few players pretty good about coming to events and games, like Hunt and El Hud. I see john flowers and semanski at games as well.
But the one former player that bugs me the most for not coming to a game is Danny Tarkianian. He came to the game his father was honored at but, that's it. His father being I'll still came to games yet no danny sitting by him. Why I could never vote for him. Holds a grudge and not thankful for the support the university and community did give him and his family.

Given a choice, I would prefer a former-Rebel in Congress over a non-Rebel. No-brainer.

Fearless Freddy needs his Jersey retired period!

I really think Lou and a Wink deserve consideration for rafters. I think you have to consider the time (years) a player plays and what that player meant to the program. I'm not sure the committee is looking at any players right now which seems to be a shame.

Freddy yes - he's right up there with the retired number crew and deserves to be next. The RJ panel of 25 voters with long-term ties to the program ranked the top RunninRebs, and below is their breakdown from http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/basketball/ranking-rebels-top-100

Lou and Wink?... you must be too young to remember the glory years to think that Lou should even be mentioned alongside those guys in the rafters. As for Wink... if only his senior year had gone differently he would have been top 10.

1. Larry Johnson (21) 2,295
2. Stacey Augmon (2) 2,253
3. Sidney Green 2,213
4. Armon "The Hammer" Gilliam 2,198
5. Eddie Owens 2,171
6. Reggie Theus (1) 2,159
7. Greg Anthony 2,158
8. Freddie Banks 2,121
9. J.R. Rider (1) 2,099
10. Elburt Miller 2,041
11. Anderson Hunt 2,036
12. Ricky Sobers 2,029
13. Glen Gondrezick 1,999
14. Robert Smith 1,990
15. Silas Stepp 1,911
16. Larry Anderson 1,840
17. Bob Florence 1,825
18. Wink Adams 1,789
19. Gerald Paddio 1,771
20. Lewis Brown 1,767
21. Richie Adams 1,766
22. Marcus Banks 1,750
23. "Sudden" Sam Smith 1,743
24. Jackie Robinson 1,716
25. Shawn Marion 1,707
26. Kaspars Kambala 1,703
27. Dalron Johnson 1,684
28. David Butler 1,677
29. Mark Wade 1,633
30. George Ackles 1,614
31. Anthony Jones 1,579
32. Tony Smith 1,544
33. Danny Tarkanian 1,489
34. Booker Washington 1,469
35. Tyrone Nesby 1,406
36. Jarvis Basnight 1,372
37. Jimmie Baker 1,362
38. Evric Gray 1,329
39. Mark Dickel 1,307
40. Reggie Manuel 1,304
41. Michael "Spiderman" Burns 1,297
42. Bernie Fumagalli 1,290
43. Odis Allison 1,286
44. Odartey Blankson 1,263
45. Louis Amundson 1,222
46. Kebu Stewart 1,209
47. Elmore Spencer 1,206
48. Keon Clark 1,199
49. Kevin Kruger 1,159
50. John Q. Trapp 1,151
51. Earl Evans 1,116
52. Jermaine "Sunshine" Smith 1,108
53. Larry Moffett 1,089
54. Bruce Chapman 1,057
55. Wendell White 1,028
56. Moses Scurry 964
57. Tre'Von Willis 957
58. Curtis Watson 868
59. Joel Anthony 859
60. Lou Kelly 843
61. Dexter Boney 799
62. Eldridge Hudson 790
63. Dedan Thomas 787
64. Curtis Terry 756
65. Cliff Findlay 745
66. Jerry Chandler 738
67. Warren Rosegreen 728
68. Ed Catchings 712
69. Michael Johnson 683
70. Frank "Spoon" James 642
71. Trevor Diggs 631
72. Don Lyons 620
73. Rene Rougeau 596
74. Jeff Collins 584
75. Clayton Johnson 580
76. Michael Umeh 573
77. Boyd Batts 552
78. Tom Watkins 550
79. Romel Beck 546
80. Flintie Ray Williams 527
81. Patrick Savoy 473
82. Gary Tapper 470
83. Tim Leonard 436
84. Eric Booker 412
85. Kevin Simmons 383
86. Jerel Blassingame 381
87. John Flowers 379
88. Gary Graham 376
89. Karl "Boobie" James 375
90. Jerry Baskerville 338
91. Joe Darger 336
92. Gaston Essengue 324
93. Travis Bice 318
94. Richard Box 308
95. Edwin "Greedy" Daniels 263
96. J.K. Edwards 250
97. Michael Loyd 227
98. Oscar Bellfield 199
99. Bob Moon 192
100. Jim Jansen 180

Freddy yes - he's right up there with the retired number crew and deserves to be next. The RJ panel of 25 voters with long-term ties to the program ranked the top RunninRebs, and below is their breakdown from http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/basketball/ranking-rebels-top-100

Lou and Wink?... you must be too young to remember the glory years to think that Lou should even be mentioned alongside those guys in the rafters. As for Wink... if only his senior year had gone differently he would have been top 10.

1. Larry Johnson (21) 2,295
2. Stacey Augmon (2) 2,253
3. Sidney Green 2,213
4. Armon "The Hammer" Gilliam 2,198
5. Eddie Owens 2,171
6. Reggie Theus (1) 2,159
7. Greg Anthony 2,158
8. Freddie Banks 2,121
9. J.R. Rider (1) 2,099
10. Elburt Miller 2,041
11. Anderson Hunt 2,036
12. Ricky Sobers 2,029
13. Glen Gondrezick 1,999
14. Robert Smith 1,990
15. Silas Stepp 1,911
16. Larry Anderson 1,840
17. Bob Florence 1,825
18. Wink Adams 1,789
19. Gerald Paddio 1,771
20. Lewis Brown 1,767
21. Richie Adams 1,766
22. Marcus Banks 1,750
23. "Sudden" Sam Smith 1,743
24. Jackie Robinson 1,716
25. Shawn Marion 1,707
26. Kaspars Kambala 1,703
27. Dalron Johnson 1,684
28. David Butler 1,677
29. Mark Wade 1,633
30. George Ackles 1,614
31. Anthony Jones 1,579
32. Tony Smith 1,544
33. Danny Tarkanian 1,489
34. Booker Washington 1,469
35. Tyrone Nesby 1,406
36. Jarvis Basnight 1,372
37. Jimmie Baker 1,362
38. Evric Gray 1,329
39. Mark Dickel 1,307
40. Reggie Manuel 1,304
41. Michael "Spiderman" Burns 1,297
42. Bernie Fumagalli 1,290
43. Odis Allison 1,286
44. Odartey Blankson 1,263
45. Louis Amundson 1,222
46. Kebu Stewart 1,209
47. Elmore Spencer 1,206
48. Keon Clark 1,199
49. Kevin Kruger 1,159
50. John Q. Trapp 1,151
51. Earl Evans 1,116
52. Jermaine "Sunshine" Smith 1,108
53. Larry Moffett 1,089
54. Bruce Chapman 1,057
55. Wendell White 1,028
56. Moses Scurry 964
57. Tre'Von Willis 957
58. Curtis Watson 868
59. Joel Anthony 859
60. Lou Kelly 843
61. Dexter Boney 799
62. Eldridge Hudson 790
63. Dedan Thomas 787
64. Curtis Terry 756
65. Cliff Findlay 745
66. Jerry Chandler 738
67. Warren Rosegreen 728
68. Ed Catchings 712
69. Michael Johnson 683
70. Frank "Spoon" James 642
71. Trevor Diggs 631
72. Don Lyons 620
73. Rene Rougeau 596
74. Jeff Collins 584
75. Clayton Johnson 580
76. Michael Umeh 573
77. Boyd Batts 552
78. Tom Watkins 550
79. Romel Beck 546
80. Flintie Ray Williams 527
81. Patrick Savoy 473
82. Gary Tapper 470
83. Tim Leonard 436
84. Eric Booker 412
85. Kevin Simmons 383
86. Jerel Blassingame 381
87. John Flowers 379
88. Gary Graham 376
89. Karl "Boobie" James 375
90. Jerry Baskerville 338
91. Joe Darger 336
92. Gaston Essengue 324
93. Travis Bice 318
94. Richard Box 308
95. Edwin "Greedy" Daniels 263
96. J.K. Edwards 250
97. Michael Loyd 227
98. Oscar Bellfield 199
99. Bob Moon 192
100. Jim Jansen 180

Agree with you on Wink. A good senior year and his number is retired, IMO. I think he will probably always be on the fringe, on the outside looking in. But he was an incredibly important player for UNLV. Wink was a key to UNLV making a resurgence. The program had grown incredibly stagnant until he arrived.

Also, if I remember correctly he was a 5 star player, the only 5 star player we had gotten in a long time.

To write that you obviously never saw Sam Smith actually play. .

Exactly! If you're old enough to have witnessed Sam Smith's uncanny ability to make shot-after-shot from waaay beyond what would later become the three-point line, you would have to know that there can be only one true answer to this question.

Loved Freddy but Sudden Sam was in a class by himself...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT