ADVERTISEMENT

Who was the best pure shooter to play at UNLV.

Surprised nobody threw Hunt in here. I was too young for anybody earlier than that.

Freddie Banks has to be one of the most under rated players in UNLV history. Man, was he fun to watch. He could pull up from full speed and shoot daggers from 3.

Freddie Banks has to be one of the most under rated players in UNLV history. Man, was he fun to watch. He could pull up from full speed and shoot daggers from 3.
I don't think Freddie Banks was ever underrated unless it is by those who did not see him play.

Reactions: tarkaniancourt...nm
I admit Freddie Banks was a great shooter.

Loved Mr Clutch Freddie Banks, and of course, Sudden Sam. A couple other names:

Bobby Florence, 11th all time in points, 3rd highest ppg, and a .564 shooting percentage. What a soft shot he had.

Eddie Owens, all time scoring leader, great midrange shooter before the 3 point line.

Elburt Miller - Ranks No. 1 in UNLV history in season scoring average (31.9, 1966-67) and career average (29.3). Scored 30 or more 27 times.

Isaiah Rider - I know things ended weird for him, but man, that last year here, he was on fire.

Loved Mr Clutch Freddie Banks, and of course, Sudden Sam. A couple other names:

Bobby Florence, 11th all time in points, 3rd highest ppg, and a .564 shooting percentage. What a soft shot he had.

Eddie Owens, all time scoring leader, great midrange shooter before the 3 point line.

Elburt Miller - Ranks No. 1 in UNLV history in season scoring average (31.9, 1966-67) and career average (29.3). Scored 30 or more 27 times.

Isaiah Rider - I know things ended weird for him, but man, that last year here, he was on fire.
I can't go back that far, but if we are talking pure shooting ability - man, there are a lot.... If we aren't talking create your own shot... Along with Hunt and Banks, you'd still have to toss in Bice, Gibson, Damian Smith, hell... Joe Darger could shoot the hell out of it, so could Dantley.... Even Booker (Vince) was a hot shot from outside. These are guys that are all going to drain greater than 50 percent with their feet set and an open look. And there are many others, too.

I can't go back that far, but if we are talking pure shooting ability - man, there are a lot.... If we aren't talking create your own shot... Along with Hunt and Banks, you'd still have to toss in Bice, Gibson, Damian Smith, hell... Joe Darger could shoot the hell out of it, so could Dantley.... Even Booker (Vince) was a hot shot from outside. These are guys that are all going to drain greater than 50 percent with their feet set and an open look. And there are many others, too.

We would all wait around at the end of the games at the Convention Center to hear the point totals for Miller and Trapp. Everyone would cheer if we heard that Miller broke 30, then we'd go home.

Freddie was a great streak shooter.. not a pure shooter. He would get on a streak but, had big droughts as well. Freddie drive me crazy at times. He was a look to shot first pass as last resort player. Played HS ball against him and he did dominate at Valley, but I put up a couple points against him. Literally a couple.

Bice, Sudden Sam, Wink, and Dantly pure shooters.

In order to be considered the best of all times you must be a starter and impact player who performs under pressure IMO and Freddie Banks wins hands down. Not even close IMO. In fact, Fearless Freddie Banks still hold the ncaa Final 4 single game record when he hit 10 3 pt. shots against Indiana in the 1987 Final 4. On a side note, Mark Wade holds the ncaa Final 4 single game record with 18 assist in the same game.

Reactions: GoRebs!
I used to love watching Tommy Watkins and Curtis Watson light it up. Close range shooters like Sid Green and Armon Gilliam were great shooters, and very consistent.

But when Sid went outside, we groaned!

Pure shooter? Sam, though a contest with Freddie would have been great.

In order to be considered the best of all times you must be a starter and impact player who performs under pressure IMO and Freddie Banks wins hands down. Not even close IMO. In fact, Fearless Freddie Banks still hold the ncaa Final 4 single game record when he hit 10 3 pt. shots against Indiana in the 1987 Final 4. On a side note, Mark Wade holds the ncaa Final 4 single game record with 18 assist in the same game.

That game in final 4 against Indian was the best I ever saw freddie shot. He was on one of his streaks for sure. BUT most those 3's came late in the game when Indian had a large 15 plus point lead. Freddie just started putting his head down, not looking to pass, and launched from anywhere and they happened to be dropping. He made the game closer for sure and gave us some hope toward the end. But it was freddie or nothing, even after he help shrink the lead to within 5. He continued to launch. Which I didn't blame him because rest of team did nothing that game. Yes freddie a great streak shooter but, not a great team player. Was the same way in HS. Played against him and had friends that played with him. They hated playing with him. Lol

Gerald Paddio? Ranks #5 all time for UNLV in 3 point FGs made. Ranks #2 3PT FGs made in a single season with 118. Maybe not as good as Banks but dude could shoot.

Gerald Paddio? Ranks #5 all time for UNLV in 3 point FGs made. Ranks #2 3PT FGs made in a single season with 118. Maybe not as good as Banks but dude could shoot.
Also gotta remember. He did it in two years. But Gerald was soooooo streaky. Was ice cold vs Iowa in the Elite Eight first half, UNLV down 16 at break, I think 19 in second half. He and Freddie catch first right around the 17 minute mark, UNLV comes back and wins it to go to the FF. But that was kinda Paddio in a nutshell.

Also gotta remember. He did it in two years. But Gerald was soooooo streaky. Was ice cold vs Iowa in the Elite Eight first half, UNLV down 16 at break, I think 19 in second half. He and Freddie catch first right around the 17 minute mark, UNLV comes back and wins it to go to the FF. But that was kinda Paddio in a nutshell.

You are probably right. When talking about 'pure' shooters Paddio probably doesn't fit that description. He was a bit to streaky for that label. But his numbers are pretty impressive.

Wow
I used to love watching Tommy Watkins and Curtis Watson light it up. Close range shooters like Sid Green and Armon Gilliam were great shooters, and very consistent.

Wow, the TOMMY WATKINS card has been played. I d

Wow, the TOMMY WATKINS card has been played...I did not see him play for the Rebels, but I saw him in JUCO (Riverside) and then in pre-season hoops with the Lakers. He has the last cut of the Lakers when he left UNLV; this was when there was about 16-teams in the NBA. I don't think he ever took a shot that wasn't a three-pointer and there was not a three-point line. Tommy Watkins was a truly great shooter...Thanks for bringing his name up.

Forced to a wager, I would bet on Sudden Sam over Fearless Freddie, but Tommy Watkins might just beat both of them.

Never saw Booker play; can't speak to it. Coach Rolland Todd was always an offensive coach and it sounds like he had some fellas that could throw the ball in the hole at the Convention Center.

Shawn? Great player, but he accomplished little at UNLV. One season, no NCAA. Not number retirement, no way.

Yes, he played just one season at UNLV at UNLV and they did not make the tournament...That said his four appearances in the NBA All-Star Game and his NBA Championship (with Coach Grg) give him more All-Star-Games and rings than those Rebels-In-The-Rafters combined...I cannot put him in the "no way" category.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT