ADVERTISEMENT

What will it take to increase FB Attendance?

Rashanir

Lottery Pick
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Las Vegas
Sep 2 (Sat) 1 PM Bryant 20,347
Sep 16 (Sat) 4 PM Vanderbilt 22,582
Sep 30 (Sat) 1 PM Hawaii 25,328
Oct 21 (Sat) 4 PM Colorado State 22,585
Nov 10 (Fri) 7:45 PM Wyoming 25,568

I have been wondering what is keeping people from coming out other than complete disbelief... tickets are very cheap for UNLV FB.

Nothing, people are brain dead in this city. I am bringing a friend and her husband to the game. They are Raider fans but they are also UNM fans and socal fans too. Inviting my family to the game on the 25th vs SJSU

Reactions: reagan21
Sep 2 (Sat) 1 PM Bryant 20,347
Sep 16 (Sat) 4 PM Vanderbilt 22,582
Sep 30 (Sat) 1 PM Hawaii 25,328
Oct 21 (Sat) 4 PM Colorado State 22,585
Nov 10 (Fri) 7:45 PM Wyoming 25,568

I have been wondering what is keeping people from coming out other than complete disbelief... tickets are very cheap for UNLV FB.

Dude I've been saying this for years. Even when Rebs were awful (ok the last 20 years) tickets could be had for $20.

Our season ticket prices are damn near single game ticket prices at some schools but I digress.

There's a lot worse ways to spend a Saturday.

The excuses were Sam Boyd was too far.

Whelp...That's covered.

Sam Boyd was a dump..

Again Whelp..

They stink, I'll go when they start winning.

Whelp x3..

The level of apathy which I admit is understandable is pretty deep.

People just don't care enough and it's going to take more than one season to fix that.

If Rebs were able to win out and host a conference title it would go along way.

Win that and a bowl game and I think we could see crowds creep over 30k next year..

Dude I've been saying this for years. Even when Rebs were awful (ok the last 20 years) tickets could be had for $20.

Our season ticket prices are damn near single game ticket prices at some schools but I digress.

There's a lot worse ways to spend a Saturday.

The excuses were Sam Boyd was too far.

Whelp...That's covered.

Sam Boyd was a dump..

Again Whelp..

They stink, I'll go when they start winning.

Whelp x3..

The level of apathy which I admit is understandable is pretty deep.

People just don't care enough and it's going to take more than one season to fix that.

If Rebs were able to win out and host a conference title it would go along way.

Win that and a bowl game and I think we could see crowds creep over 30k next year..
Some effective marketing could help. But I don't think hugely. The press, even though there's not a ton of it (dilution by other sports) has been very positive I suspect (if it ain't, they're haters).

I really do think the ball is in UNLV's court, so to speak, for football and basketball. I do think it's difficult to overcome several decades of ineptitude, that is footballs battle. And basketball is fighting a decade of it as well, and I think people feel burned by that since hoops is what we are known for. Losing home games to Southern hurt badly, IMO. But even the 11-1 last season to start (yes, it was against a BS schedule) didn't make a huge dent in the return of fans.

I'm probably dreaming, but I'd love to think if we beat AFA on Saturday, that we'd crack 30K for San Jose. I do think that our biggest crowd happened with a 7:45 pm kick (far from ideal) is showing something in the positive direction, especially when Hawaii packed in a lot of fans for that 25K.

The football program certainly took giant leaps, but the fanbase is going to take baby steps.

Some effective marketing could help. But I don't think hugely. The press, even though there's not a ton of it (dilution by other sports) has been very positive I suspect (if it ain't, they're haters).

I really do think the ball is in UNLV's court, so to speak, for football and basketball. I do think it's difficult to overcome several decades of ineptitude, that is footballs battle. And basketball is fighting a decade of it as well, and I think people feel burned by that since hoops is what we are known for. Losing home games to Southern hurt badly, IMO. But even the 11-1 last season to start (yes, it was against a BS schedule) didn't make a huge dent in the return of fans.

I'm probably dreaming, but I'd love to think if we beat AFA on Saturday, that we'd crack 30K for San Jose. I do think that our biggest crowd happened with a 7:45 pm kick (far from ideal) is showing something in the positive direction, especially when Hawaii packed in a lot of fans for that 25K.

The football program certainly took giant leaps, but the fanbase is going to take baby steps.

Agree across the board.

One issue and it's a matter of optics is the size of Allegiant Stadium.

Even 30k it's half empty and that would have been damn near a sellout at Sam Boyd.

It's funny, and this could be me, but the atmosphere at Sam Boyd always seemed a little more intense than it has at Allegiant. Not sure if it's nostalgia, talking here (yes I actually miss Sam Boyd lots of great times with friends and family out there).

Anyway, beat Air Force, I would hope 30k was possible..

Not sure (can't remember) how well San Jose State travels.

Parking and ease of access is actually a major problem for Allegiant. A lot of older fans will find it difficult to walk to the stadium from parking off the stadium grounds with the other option being to pay $100 to park at the stadium. UNLV needs to work on ways to get people easier off stadium parking, and believe me parking at UNLV and going by bus isn't currently working. When we went to the game against Wyoming it took 57 minutes for the bus to drop us off which included going in circles for a good 25-30 minutes after they passed the stadium on Russell. There is no doubt that they could make things far easier to ride the bus, or UNLV needs to find parking spaces near the stadium and provide shuttle bus rides over to the games.

Agree across the board.

One issue and it's a matter of optics is the size of Allegiant Stadium.

Even 30k it's half empty and that would have been damn near a sellout at Sam Boyd.

It's funny, and this could be me, but the atmosphere at Sam Boyd always seemed a little more intense than it has at Allegiant. Not sure if it's nostalgia, talking here (yes I actually miss Sam Boyd lots of great times with friends and family out there).

Anyway, beat Air Force, I would hope 30k was possible..

Not sure (can't remember) how well San Jose State travels.
I don't expect SJSU travels well since they only had 20,337 at the Oregon State game, the next best was FSU with 18,886 and the rest of the games were under 16.3K.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Parking and ease of access is actually a major problem for Allegiant. A lot of older fans will find it difficult to walk to the stadium from parking off the stadium grounds with the other option being to pay $100 to park at the stadium. UNLV needs to work on ways to get people easier off stadium parking, and believe me parking at UNLV and going by bus isn't currently working. When we went to the game against Wyoming it took 57 minutes for the bus to drop us off which included going in circles for a good 25-30 minutes after they passed the stadium on Russell. There is no doubt that they could make things far easier to ride the bus, or UNLV needs to find parking spaces near the stadium and provide shuttle bus rides over to the games.

The Tailgater Tavern is your friend.

It's just over a 1/4 mile walk from stadium on Russell.

Drive there, park grab a beer, go to the game. Owner said he was cool with us parking there as long as we patronized his establishment for a drink or two..

I keep seeing the goal of 30k for an attendance number. I forget what the exact number for the capacity of the lower bowl is, but it was below 30k. Something like 27.5k maybe.

I recognize that opening the next tier would mean more bodies and more therefore more ticket and concession revenue. But just to play devils advocate, they would also be paying for additional staff (security, concessions, cleaning).

Should be that the possible increase in attendance would well offset that number. But what if the lower bowl is 95% sold out and there's so 200 people in the next level up? It may be that it's diminishing returns and without advance ticket sales, UNLV could lose money by having just a few more people in there.

Just a thought. I'd like 30k+ as well. Take our the Hawaii game for attendance and it has been steadily rising. 27-28k would seem doable with a win over AFA.

Other than the ones originating at UNLV's campus, there is no regional bus, is there? Like going to Knights or Raiders games, park and ride from Stations properties or whatever. I do think that would help... maybe not bringing like an extra 6k, but it should be positive.

My multi-tier ticket marketing proposal... UNLV, feel free to send me some gear and you can borrow it...
1. Corporate sponsorships provide free tickets for use of services---> Buy 50$ in groceries or gas, get 4 pack free... go to an Intermountain clinic, get a free 4 pack..
2. Local High School offices- place multiple ticket packages in front offices of every HS in the City. Students can sign up or "check out" packages for games for families.
3. Libraries- create passes for local libraries that families can check out and take to ticket office for 4 pack of tickets. 2 strike policy for not using
4. Specific Student shuttles that bring students directly to tailgate- doesn't matter how many use it, continue to provide till its always full...
5. Work with Transportation system to provide more frequent shuttles from various campus lots. Free with ticket, keep providing even if not full.
You do this for multiple seasons. It's not a short term solution because "Oh team is good this year". You do it till you've established a regular consistent fan base of 30k and filling stadium regardless of performance because you've built a fan base..

My multi-tier ticket marketing proposal... UNLV, feel free to send me some gear and you can borrow it...
1. Corporate sponsorships provide free tickets for use of services---> Buy 50$ in groceries or gas, get 4 pack free... go to an Intermountain clinic, get a free 4 pack..
2. Local High School offices- place multiple ticket packages in front offices of every HS in the City. Students can sign up or "check out" packages for games for families.
3. Libraries- create passes for local libraries that families can check out and take to ticket office for 4 pack of tickets. 2 strike policy for not using
4. Specific Student shuttles that bring students directly to tailgate- doesn't matter how many use it, continue to provide till its always full...
5. Work with Transportation system to provide more frequent shuttles from various campus lots. Free with ticket, keep providing even if not full.
You do this for multiple seasons. It's not a short term solution because "Oh team is good this year". You do it till you've established a regular consistent fan base of 30k and filling stadium regardless of performance because you've built a fan base..
It would be helpful if the RTC buses had the same routes for Rebel football games as they do for the Raiders football games. Prices are cheap $2.00 each way.

The Wyoming game was mostly UNLV fans. My guess like 80 percent. Hawaii game was closer to 65 percent Rebel Fans. I think there is a noticeable gain in local interest which will grow with a respectable team.
We should see a jump in new season tickets for next year and just as importantly a very good retention rate.

The attendance should be better than it is. The excuses are just that, excuses. Parking sucks at almost all stadiums. People go to games anyway.
I do worry some that our lack of support irks Coach Odom. He is very careful with his words. He basically pleads for support on his shows, he is still appreciative of those who show up. You can tell that it bothers him some. The lack of support may be a detracting factor for his plans on sticking around.
He takes ownership, constantly says that it is his job to get the people to come out with the product on the field.
But he has done that, and people still aren't showing up as they should.
I do think a number by UNLV (ranking) will help some, it will get some more attention. I really wonder what a championship game crowd would look like if we are lucky enough to host it. I am sure that the other team would bring a bunch.

Last edited:
The problem has been generational suckiness. Is there a team that has sucked for decades and sells out? I can't find it.

Vanderbilt is a good example. The program absolutely sucks. Everything going for it. SEC. Established school. Large population withing two hour drive. In football country.

Home attendance @ 26,000 - 28,000.

You need to establish a tradition of winning for a number of years. You need continued excitement until 40,000 people identify as Rebel Football fans rather than fans of the city they left to come here.

Small issue (for this season at least) is how much kickoff times bounce around. I understand we do it (or it is dictated for us) for TV, but I am always having to double check the start time. Not a huge deal in reality, but makes it more difficult to plan.

I really wonder what a championship game crowd would look like if we are lucky enough to host it. I am sure that the other team would bring a bunch.
It would be well over 30k because the visiting crowd would bring 6-8k fans (unless it’s AF). We’d also see a bump. They’d bring in those south end zone seats that are only used at Raiders games. I bet we’d get close to 40k for a MWC championship game.

The problem has been generational suckiness. Is there a team that has sucked for decades and sells out? I can't find it.

Vanderbilt is a good example. The program absolutely sucks. Everything going for it. SEC. Established school. Large population withing two hour drive. In football country.

Home attendance @ 26,000 - 28,000.

You need to establish a tradition of winning for a number of years. You need continued excitement until 40,000 people identify as Rebel Football fans rather than fans of the city they left to come here.
Decent example, especially in terms of a losing program.

But it is a private school, which usually excludes many of the locals. Big state schools tend to get more local fan penetration. I would guess there are a higher percentage of UNLV alums in Vegas, than there are Vandy alums in Nashville.

Also I'm sure if Vandy happened to by 8-2 right now, they'd get more fans to show up.

Last edited:
It would be well over 30k because the visiting crowd would bring 6-8k fans (unless it’s AF). We’d also see a bump. They’d bring in those south end zone seats that are only used at Raiders games. I bet we’d get close to 40k for a MWC championship game.

Im not sure about that. CG games with a week or two turn around are tough.

I do worry some that our lack of support irks Coach Odom. He is very careful with his words. He basically pleads for support on his shows, he is still appreciative of those who show up. You can tell that it bothers him some. The lack of support may be a detracting factor for his plans on sticking around.
He takes ownership, constantly says that it is his job to get the people to come out with the product on the field.

I notice that too. He is appreciative of people who show up, but absolutely pleads for support when he's speaking publicly. And it's understandable. But... If you're 8-2 at Missouri, you're a top 20 team and about to play Arkansas or whatever. It's totally different than being 8-2 and about to host Wyoming.

Generations of limited or no interest, and not being a football history, playing teams that make no difference in the national landscape. That's what UNLV fights.

I got season tickets the first season I left UNLV and will probably hold them as long as I live here. But I can see why there are attendance issues. A couple seasons of sustained success will help, but could possibly will be too late. To make that difference.

The attendance should be better than it is. The excuses are just that, excuses. Parking sucks at almost all stadiums. People go to games anyway.
But he has done that, and people still aren't showing up as they should.
I do think a number by UNLV (ranking) will help some, it will get some more attention. I really wonder what a championship game crowd would look like if we are lucky enough to host it. I am sure that the other team would bring a bunch.
I guarantee he can't understand it. He grew up and played H.S. ball in Oklahoma. A state that is football crazy. He's coached in the mid-south. Also football crazy. Him trying to understand this fanbase is like a monkey trying to understand a Rubik's cube. It just doesn't compute.

Him trying to understand this fanbase is like a monkey trying to understand a Rubik's cube. It just doesn't compute.
And that's not a slight on him. College football is a top 3 or 4 sport in this country and we happen to be in the little pocket that mostly doesn't care about it. Or at least not the local team.

It would be so great to have Odom around for 5+ years to build interest around the program and incoming students. Would also leave time maybe for staffers to want to stay here if Odom left. Shrug...

The Tailgater Tavern is your friend.

It's just over a 1/4 mile walk from stadium on Russell.

Drive there, park grab a beer, go to the game. Owner said he was cool with us parking there as long as we patronized his establishment for a drink or two..
There are plenty of good place to park close to the stadium for as low as $10 or free like you said, the problem is UNLV should be providing the locations to help make it easier and cheaper for people going to the game and worry less about filling the Allegiant parking lots. I found the locations by looking around on the internet not due to anything UNLV has done. The bottom line is to get people into the seats.

People just need to reread this and let this sink in and then how to address it. Even if there are easier options for access it's still perceived as difficult/NOT easy to access or worth the time/effort.

Winning is marketing in of itself, but maybe the real marketing should be on how to best get to the stadium and/or what solutions have been implemented and available and what exactly getting to the stadium entails.

Last edited:
I haven’t been able to go to a full game this year. I caught half of Hawaii; but I am hopeful to make the last game.

For the Wyoming game, at least, there was also 18,000 people down the street at the Knights game that was at the same time. I don't know how many of them would have gone to the UNLV game if there were not a conflict, but surely there were some.

Also, for the Bryant game, there is no way there was anywhere close to 20K at that game. My recollection is that 15K would have been a generous estimate. So, maybe there's more growth happening in attendance than is obvious if you're just going by the official numbers.

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
For the Wyoming game, at least, there was also 18,000 people down the street at the Knights game that was at the same time. I don't know how many of them would have gone to the UNLV game if there were not a conflict, but surely there were some.

Also, for the Bryant game, there is no way there was anywhere close to 20K at that game. My recollection is that 15K would have been a generous estimate. So, maybe there's more growth happening in attendance than is obvious if you're just going by the official numbers.
I think that had more to do with the fact that a lot of season ticket holders didn't go to that game!

I have noticed a lot more people are using the owners' club suites than in the first few games of the season. Getting the people that buy these suites to show up is a big step towards getting those who have the money to invest involved with the football team.

Reactions: RRebel
Take the bus in..they accommodate people with scooters

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
Decent example, especially in terms of a losing program.

But it is a private school, which usually excludes many of the locals. Big state schools tend to get more local fan penetration. I would guess there are a higher percentage of UNLV alums in Vegas, than there are Vandy alums in Nashville.

Also I'm sure if Vandy happened to by 8-2 right now, they'd get more fans to show up.
Another couple of example of traditionally pathetic programs that can't draw. New Mexico ( average 12,000 for the last two home games) and UTEP ( average 11,000 for the last two home games). It just makes sense. People don't want to watch a perpetual loser. It's a downer. Just look at out basketball program. If we competed like SDSU for the past 15 years we'd have 15,000 per game and it would be a good experience.

Another couple of example of traditionally pathetic programs that can't draw. New Mexico ( average 12,000 for the last two home games) and UTEP ( average 11,000 for the last two home games). It just makes sense. People don't want to watch a perpetual loser. It's a downer. Just look at out basketball program. If we competed like SDSU for the past 15 years we'd have 15,000 per game and it would be a good experience.
UTEP was able to get an announced crowd of 28k for our game. It would have been nice if we started the season with those types of numbers.

Too many factors to count:
1. Winning
2. Appearance of sustainability of winning
3. The culture of winning: Coaching staff, Admin, donors
4. Improvements throughout the years and within the year
Just these 4 factors will bring a lot of fans. Vegas love winning and the culture of winning. Dont beg, just win.

Further development at Vegas rate:
5. Something to cause an "ooooo and Ahhhh" during the game. Use your imagination.
6. Connect with the community here. Help local business get exposure somehow

Just a few ideas

UTEP was able to get an announced crowd of 28k for our game. It would have been nice if we started the season with those types of numbers.
Announced. If I recall, on TV it looked like the Sun Bowl was maybe 30% full?

(Per Wikipedia, UTEP lists the stadium at 46,670 capacity. 30% is 14k, 50% is 23k)

Announced. If I recall, on TV it looked like the Sun Bowl was maybe 30% full?

(Per Wikipedia, UTEP lists the stadium at 46,670 capacity. 30% is 14k, 50% is 23k)
Paid attendance is paid attendance.

It look pretty empyy at the beginning of the game, but it did fill up a bit more as the game went on.

Still don't think that they had anywhere near 28k actual fans there, but it could have been 20.

Take the bus from where? From UNLV it takes almost an hour!
Take the 613 bus from UNLV behind In N out like the rest of us fans. Park in, scooter out..

2 dollars each way. Save you the problem of finding a parking spot. Bring cash..

Bring Grandpa and his 02 tank. He’s got nothing better to do.

It’s an amazing experience.

UNLV men’s basketball is straight up depressing these days.

Take the 613 bus from UNLV behind In N out like the rest of us fans. Park in, scooter out..

2 dollars each way. Save you the problem of finding a parking spot. Bring cash..

Bring Grandpa and his 02 tank. He’s got nothing better to do.

It’s an amazing experience.
That is the bus I am talking about. It took 57 minutes last time!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT