ADVERTISEMENT

utah thoughts

Dec 10, 2012
i missed the first half because i was watching the chargers come back against the 49ers. the free throw shooting was horrible but i think i am more upset with last game then this game. we are not a top 25 team right now so i was not expecting a win but i was expecting us to beat portland by 10+. is a at large bid out of the question? looks like we will have to win the conf or conf tourney but at least sdsu cant score points just like us so we have a chance.

The good: I really liked the effort on the glass tonight. We won the rebounding battle and limited second chance opportunities.

The bad: Turnovers. Free throws. Offense in general.

Conference tournament is the only realistic shot IF the team is healthy enough and if the young guys improve enough (they still have more than 2 months to get ready for that). Unless they show me something soon I doubt this team will be ready for conference play.

Sadly I'm already thinking ahead to next year and hoping a second season and another good recruiting class will give this team a big boost.

Originally posted by Vegas007:
Conference tournament is the only realistic shot IF the team is healthy enough and if the young guys improve enough (they still have more than 2 months to get ready for that). Unless they show me something soon I doubt this team will be ready for conference play.

Sadly I'm already thinking ahead to next year and hoping a second season and another good recruiting class will give this team a big boost.
Ain't going to happen unless Rice can coach up (develop) the existing talent with the an in incoming recruiting class and create a synergy.

And adapt to in game situations and make adjustments which he has shown he cannot and all the guys in the suits are clueless. It really is bad and sad.

I would score this game as improvement. What's frustrating is that you can just see the Rebels are oozing with talent. I think GO, CW, and DM did, for the most part, a very nice job of altering/dissuading shots at the rim. I thought the team in general rebounded well. I thought the Rebels kept their composure. I REALLY liked the full court pressure early in the game and then presto its basically gone. I do not remember giving up any easy baskets out of that pressure and I thought it really challenged Utah - jump in and out of that pressure off and on the whole game - if the Rebels played that pressure more often, they are SO athletic it would definitely lead to some TOs and transition baskets; we need as many easy baskets as possible. Our offense stinks. I love Doolin but for the most part he does not trigger much stimulation in the Rebels half court sets. I love Pat and he does trigger more stimulation in the half court sets, but the Rebels look like they have no schemes. Their offense is very random and does very little to set up open shots. Outside of RV getting hot at points in the game the Rebels have very little fire power on offense. The Rebels continue to STINK at the FT line. I mentioned this in the other thread but when the flagrant was called on CW's elbow - I think you really have to "lose it a little bit" there as the coach. Besides all of that and the lose - it was pretty exciting to watch the Rebels compete, most of the game, with a top-15 school and not get blown out.

See, I usually don't agree much with Tom and we bicker a lot. He actually does bring up good basketball points though.

I don't care much for the full court pressure with this team. They are athletic but they are a long athletic and not very quick footed.

Pat does look.good running the point, especially in the flash department. Cody is used to running a half court team based on less talent and people being where they are supposed to. It makes him look less effective but I expect that to improve.

Chris Wood drives me nuts. All of the talent in the world and only plays in spurts.

For the complaints about not running.... Those annoy me. The team takes off almost every rebound but defenses today get back so much better than the old days.

If we make the shots we normally would and hit 70% from the line we win this game.

Utah isn't very good, certainly not top 15 good.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by rebelluver:
See, I usually don't agree much with Tom and we bicker a lot. He actually does bring up good basketball points though.

I don't care much for the full court pressure with this team. They are athletic but they are a long athletic and not very quick footed.

Pat does look.good running the point, especially in the flash department. Cody is used to running a half court team based on less talent and people being where they are supposed to. It makes him look less effective but I expect that to improve.

Chris Wood drives me nuts. All of the talent in the world and only plays in spurts.

For the complaints about not running.... Those annoy me. The team takes off almost every rebound but defenses today get back so much better than the old days.

If we make the shots we normally would and hit 70% from the line we win this game.

Utah isn't very good, certainly not top 15 good.
Now there is some insight. Some good points. But saying Utah is not good you are way off base. They are actually a really good team and disciplined. Good skilled players, big guys with skills, good shooters etc. They just had a bad game against us and still won by 13. They beat witchita, should've beat sdsu and Kansas and beat byu at byu. They are good.

Seemed a tail of 2 halves. I thought the 1st half team played very good. The graph with UNLV vs Utah points in the paint was very telling. Should have went into the locker room with the lead.

Half time adjustments. UNLV scored perhaps 10 points the first 10 minutes in the 2nd half? Points in the paint seemed just about reversed 2nd half between UNLV and Utah. Lots of Utah getting to the rim. Not sure what is happening on the D side, a lot of guys just getting blown by and then not a lot of help.

Last 2 minutes the motors looked like they burned out. They showed Rice at one point after a foul he looked liked he was telling them to huddle up on the floor or something, but they didn't seem to be listening? Was hard to tell not being there so just an assumption on my part, but didn't look good.

And yes, that phantom technical was atrocious. Even the commentators were shocked at that call after we saw it replayed over and over.

More atrocious: 43% free throws

Really liking McCaw. He can really develop into a good player over time if he keeps hustling. Wish we could see more of Walker when need more outside shooting. 5 or so minutes at least?

Agree with not being to bummed about this game given Utah is ranked. But it was there for the taking. Happy we didn't get blown out.

My thoughts:
Wood half asses more times than not.

Free Throws- WTH - we could have kept a lot of pressure on them if we make those. Chance to win without a doubt.

Turnover - Young team inexperienced with playing against people as talented so they play too loose with the ball. Sloppy ball handling. That's the coaches fault!

Coaches cant make the shots fall and they did have some good looks.

I think the problem with the defense is the reliance on a shot block. They have gotten to used to that fallback. And that is also the reason I don't favor the full court press. They just don't move their feet well enough.

You can say it is coaching but they have Stacey friggin Augmon on the staff. I think he knows how to coach defense.

People sometimes think all you have to do is tell them what to do and they will do it. Well it isn't that simple.

Originally posted by rebelluver:
I think the problem with the defense is the reliance on a shot block. They have gotten to used to that fallback. And that is also the reason I don't favor the full court press. They just don't move their feet well enough.

You can say it is coaching but they have Stacey friggin Augmon on the staff. I think he knows how to coach defense.

People sometimes think all you have to do is tell them what to do and they will do it. Well it isn't that simple.
Good point.

Yea, that is what practice is for. Drill it in over and over so it's second nature. Sure there is something constructive happening in practice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT