ADVERTISEMENT

USU

The scoring average was always going to drop in conference play. We boosted the scoring average with a weak nonconference schedule. So I’m okay with the average going down because it was always going to go down. The same thing happens to the elite teams when they play conference opponents.

The 78 points the team scored tonight was still more than the teams in the past would score.

But we’re losing so who cares.

The fact we’re losing shows our opponents are scoring way too much. We’re giving up over 81 ppg in conference play so far. Given up 83, 76 (in OT) and 85 points in 3 games.

My lack of posting isn't due to apathy - its because I don't have anything new to say that isn't positive. Last time I posted I said this team is soft, doesnt play defense and cant shoot the 3 reliably. All those are still true. Also, I said that we were mediocre and would never be better than that. I was probably wrong on that - we arent even mediocre. We're just flat out bad.

Just look how dead this board has become. It's the definition of apathy. I remember when this board had in-game threads for each game that went on for PAGES. We've completely lost the fan base. COMPLETELY LOST THEM.

Threads still getting looked at. But if you view the Confidential Board, you will notice many of the big posters (those who post a lot), have moved there and no longer post herehere. But yes, it's been rather dead on the board.

Threads still getting looked at. But if you view the Confidential Board, you will notice many of the big posters (those who post a lot), have moved there and no longer post herehere. But yes, it's been rather dead on the board.
For quite some time, I’ve felt like I was the only one posting on this board. As I look back over recent messages, and beyond, I see my screen name, over and over. So it wasn't just my imagination.

It’s regrettable, yet understandable, that no one wants to engage in any spirited discussions about Rebel hoops. There was certainly a time when the entire city was engaged in what was the latest news concerning the team. I'm aware that I'm trying to cling to something that just isn't there anymore. But that was a very different time, a very different team, in a very different Las Vegas.

This latest loss, to a mediocre Utah State team, at our house, has taken the wind from my sails. I’ve stayed away from Rebel-Net, since Saturday night, because I’ve lost my enthusiasm. I am crushed by my own naivete. I had convinced myself that this team, and this coach, were as good as their soft-ball schedule made them appear. Sure, they dominated the Mississippi Valley’s and the Prairie View’s, as expected, but what about the annihilation of Utah? And playing Arizona to a dead heat in regulation, a game they lead throughout? Where has that team gone?

Conference season has arrived, and the Rebels are once again, a middle-to-lower-end-of-the-pack participant. It makes me feel like a fool falling for the hype, year after year.

When Kruger was here we were doing enough to get to the Dance, yet never winning the conference. The general sentiment was that, sure he was a pretty good coach, but he never got that 5-star player that might elevate us to the next level. He had reached his “ceiling”, and many, if not most fans weren’t all that sorry to see him go. Since Lon has succeeded at Oklahoma, in ways he never did here, there are some who want to engage in a bit of revisionist history. They claim they wanted him to stay. If that's true, they were awfully quiet about it at the time.

The hiring of Dave Rice was met with great optimism. Sure, there was the Reggie Theus faction, but most saw Rice as a great hire The Rice vs Theus argument had more to do with personality than qualifications. Did we want the GQ-flashy Theus or the nerdy Rice?. A true Rebel, A player on the '90 National Championship team, Rice had been quite successful as an assistant at BYU. And he'd been the de-facto head coach, while Dave Rose battled cancer. What could possibly go wrong?

And out of the gate, they pulled off the biggest upset of the year, when they surprised North Carolina. But the team tailed off in conference play.They were eliminated in round one of the NCAA’s. by Colorado. And it was a team dominated by Chace Stanback Mike Moser, Oscar Bellfield and Anthony Marshall. All Kruger disciples.

Then came year two of Rice’s tenure. And Rice landed Anthony Bennett. Exactly the type of prize recruit, that Kruger wasn’t getting. And we still went to the tournament. Albeit still with mostly Kruger’s players, plus a somewhat sluggish Bennett, only to be eliminated in the first round by a Cal team we’d beaten earlier.

No one needs this recounting of UNLV’s fall from grace after that. My point is, year after year, we were drawn into the narrative that this year was going to be different. We’d get better. We’d win the conference and succeed in March. After all, we landed Steven Zimmermann, right? Or, we got Rashad Vaughn. No matter how many stars they might have had next to their name, the result was always the same..

And this year, I fell for it, once again. This team, with a new coach, and a seven-foot, five-star prize, was the real McCoy, if you’ll forgive the pun. And once again it’s conference time and to put it bluntly, we suck.

So I’ll take some time off from this board. Ill still watch the games. I’m still a fan. But I can’t be positive after our history. And coming here to complain and be negative, doesn’t appeal to me. Should our fortunes brighten, in the words of the ex-Governor of California,.. I'll be back... Until then, hasta la vista, baby...
arnold-schwarzenegger-cartoon.gif

Go Rebels!

Last edited:
This latest loss, to a mediocre Utah State team, at our house, has taken the wind from my sails. I’ve stayed away from Rebel-Net, since Saturday night, because I’ve lost my enthusiasm. I am crushed by my own naivete. I had convinced myself that this team, and this coach, were as good as their soft-ball schedule made them appear.

Exactly. After the end of Kruger, and Rice at the helm, year after year of high hopes only for..... crap?..... let down probably better way to put it.

I didn't go into the season with the same high hopes. Stopped that after the 3rd year of Rice when realized the guy couldn't coach. I do think MM is different. Like what he has done, and his personality, from what I've seen/heard. I still think there is something to be said about a team that has run together for consecutive years. Can we get there under MM? Stop the revolving door? The admin destroyed the program letting Rice go as they did. MM has done what he can given what he was handed. We are better than last season (could it get worse?, guess we did win 11 games, so yes). Do see improvement. But fans are fanatical with little patience. Unfortunately, we still need more time. Need to be in the middle of the conference at the end of the season. Early in conference play, a win at Air Force will help.

Reactions: JTthe2nd
For quite some time, I’ve felt like I was the only one posting on this board. As I look back over recent messages, and beyond, I see my screen name, over and over. So it wasn't just my imagination.

It’s regrettable, yet understandable, that no one wants to engage in any spirited discussions about Rebel hoops. There was certainly a time when the entire city was engaged in what was the latest news concerning the team. I'm aware that I'm trying to cling to something that just isn't there anymore. But that was a very different time, a very different team, in a very different Las Vegas.

This latest loss, to a mediocre Utah State team, at our house, has taken the wind from my sails. I’ve stayed away from Rebel-Net, since Saturday night, because I’ve lost my enthusiasm. I am crushed by my own naivete. I had convinced myself that this team, and this coach, were as good as their soft-ball schedule made them appear. Sure, they dominated the Mississippi Valley’s and the Prairie View’s, as expected, but what about the annihilation of Utah? And playing Arizona to a dead heat in regulation, a game they lead throughout? Where has that team gone?

Conference season has arrived, and the Rebels are once again, a middle-to-lower-end-of-the-pack participant. It makes me feel like a fool falling for the hype, year after year.

When Kruger was here we were doing enough to get to the Dance, yet never winning the conference. The general sentiment was that, sure he was a pretty good coach, but he never got that 5-star player that might elevate us to the next level. He had reached his “ceiling”, and many, if not most fans weren’t all that sorry to see him go. Since Lon has succeeded at Oklahoma, in ways he never did here, there are some who want to engage in a bit of revisionist history. They claim they wanted him to stay. If that's true, they were awfully quiet about it at the time.

The hiring of Dave Rice was met with great optimism. Sure, there was the Reggie Theus faction, but most saw Rice as a great hire The Rice vs Theus argument had more to do with personality than qualifications. Did we want the GQ-flashy Theus or the nerdy Rice?. A true Rebel, A player on the '90 National Championship team, Rice had been quite successful as an assistant at BYU. And he'd been the de-facto head coach, while Dave Rose battled cancer. What could possibly go wrong?

And out of the gate, they pulled off the biggest upset of the year, when they surprised North Carolina. But the team tailed off in conference play.They were eliminated in round one of the NCAA’s. by Colorado. And it was a team dominated by Chace Stanback Mike Moser, Oscar Bellfield and Anthony Marshall. All Kruger disciples.

Then came year two of Rice’s tenure. And Rice landed Anthony Bennett. Exactly the type of prize recruit, that Kruger wasn’t getting. And we still went to the tournament. Albeit still with mostly Kruger’s players, plus a somewhat sluggish Bennett, only to be eliminated in the first round by a Cal team we’d beaten earlier.

No one needs this recounting of UNLV’s fall from grace after that. My point is, year after year, we were drawn into the narrative that this year was going to be different. We’d get better. We’d win the conference and succeed in March. After all, we landed Steven Zimmermann, right? Or, we got Rashad Vaughn. No matter how many stars they might have had next to their name, the result was always the same..

And this year, I fell for it, once again. This team, with a new coach, and a seven-foot, five-star prize, was the real McCoy, if you’ll forgive the pun. And once again it’s conference time and to put it bluntly, we suck.

So I’ll take some time off from this board. Ill still watch the games. I’m still a fan. But I can’t be positive after our history. And coming here to complain and be negative, doesn’t appeal to me. Should our fortunes brighten, in the words of the ex-Governor of California,.. I'll be back... Until then, hasta la vista, baby...
arnold-schwarzenegger-cartoon.gif

Go Rebels!
Ugh, of all people, you’re one of the last I’d expect to see like this. Don’t like it. Not saying I don’t understand or don’t blame you. But don’t like seeing people being broken like this.

It is hard to be a fan of any team without being overly optimistic at the start of each season. That is the nature of fandom, over estimate your team and underestimate the opposition. The consequences are almost unfailingly disappointment. But every now and then, an unexpected victory renews the mostly false hopes.

This year started with the positive surprise of an outstanding recruiting class. That allowed us all to raise our expectations for the 2017-2018 season. Then the team started out well, playing good basketball in the "running rebel" style.

Then for reasons that I don't understand, the team went south. It seems that we cannot play defense. Good guards exposed our guards as subpar. The positive aura from November has turned into another disappointing January with diminishing hopes for a rebound, pun intended.

So I will keep watching and hoping that things improve, but I certainly can sympathize with fans that are ready to wait until the 2018-2019 season.

Go Rebels.

How weak does the conference have to be before we can win it? Looks like if the strongest team in the conference is Utah State or even San Jose State we still would struggle to finish in first.

At least when Rice started coaching the conference was tougher. But our opposition has gotten much weaker and we’re no closer to winning it. This is extremely frustrating, especially after we look like we would be really competitive if we played in the PAC-12.

Ugh, of all people, you’re one of the last I’d expect to see like this. Don’t like it. Not saying I don’t understand or don’t blame you. But don’t like seeing people being broken like this.
Wait, Joe. I don’t like being classified as “broken”. As I stated at the end of my post, I’m still a fan. I will always be a fan. I’ve remained through thick and thin. No bandwagon jumper here.

You mentioned in a recent post, that you were a pessimist, by nature. Well, I’m a bit of a Pollyanna. I want things to go well for the team, as I’m sure most people do, but it eats at me when they don’t. It’s apparent to me, that some people take, I’m not sure what the right word is here… solace?... in expressing their displeasure or anger over the failures of the team or the coach. And I’m not saying that you’re one of those people. I don’t think you are, at all. I deduce, from your posts, that you’re actually much more of an optimist than you may care to admit.

But for many fans, it seems that coming to a site like Rebel-Net to release their anger, or frustration, over the team’s latest failures, is therapeutic. And there’s nothing wrong with that. It just doesn’t work for me. I prefer to suffer silently, and wait for our fortunes to improve, convinced, in my heart, that they will.

So please don’t think that the latest failures, and my temporary withdrawal from contributing means that I’m "broken". I’ll be around. Just waiting until I have something positive to contribute. I’m hoping…make that I’m convinced… that day is close on the horizon.
CAL%20CRY.jpg

Go Rebels!

Wait, Joe. I don’t like being classified as “broken”. As I stated at the end of my post, I’m still a fan. I will always be a fan. I’ve remained through thick and thin. No bandwagon jumper here.

You mentioned in a recent post, that you were a pessimist, by nature. Well, I’m a bit of a Pollyanna. I want things to go well for the team, as I’m sure most people do, but it eats at me when they don’t. It’s apparent to me, that some people take, I’m not sure what the right word is here… solace?... in expressing their displeasure or anger over the failures of the team or the coach. And I’m not saying that you’re one of those people. I don’t think you are, at all. I deduce, from your posts, that you’re actually much more of an optimist than you may care to admit.

But for many fans, it seems that coming to a site like Rebel-Net to release their anger, or frustration, over the team’s latest failures, is therapeutic. And there’s nothing wrong with that. It just doesn’t work for me. I prefer to suffer silently, and wait for our fortunes to improve, convinced, in my heart, that they will.

So please don’t think that the latest failures, and my temporary withdrawal from contributing means that I’m "broken". I’ll be around. Just waiting until I have something positive to contribute. I’m hoping…make that I’m convinced… that day is close on the horizon.
CAL%20CRY.jpg

Go Rebels!
Broken may be too harsh, sorry about that. What I mean is I don’t like seeing somebody that is rational with a positive outlook take a break because, well, things haven’t felt great in awhile. I understand it and I know it doesn’t mean you’re taking a break from being an actual fan, I didn’t mean to imply that.

We’ve had a handful of long time frequent posters - they post multiple times per day - that flat out disappear when things get tough. Just like when things are tough, some come out from hiding to post “I told you so”’s, which I personally can’t stand. But we need all types to strike balance here and try to make sense of things. Multiple viewpoints are a good thing when trying to figure out a situation. You add to that.

Take the time you need, hopefully the Rebels can stop this skid and turn it around, at least to a degree.

The thing that sucks are the only harmonious boards for sports are those that win a championship. That’s 1 of 351 or 1 of 125 or whatever the numbers are for basketball and football.

Broken may be too harsh, sorry about that.
No need to apologize. Your points are well-taken.

If i fall into the “only if we win it all” category, that’s not my intention, or desire. It’s just,I as said, negative posts are not my thing. I love the Rebels,as I assume, most who come here do and griping about their play, or the coach, is just unsatisfying to me. And beyond that, reading about other people’s anger or frustration, actually upsets me. It’s a bit stupid, I know, but it is what it is.

Recently, I made a somewhat snarky comment to a frequent and long-time poster, about his negative take on Coach Menzies. It was wrong of me, and we worked it out, but it made me believe that I needed to pull back. Internet altercations, trading insults back-and-forth, are extremely unappealing to me, and taking part in one is not something that I wish to do .

Beyond that, and I’m absolutely not looking for sympathy here, just explaining where I’m coming from, I’m dealing with some health-related issues which have got me somewhat down. Getting old is not something I recommend. In my case, it kind of sucks. My advice to the younger participants on Rebel-Net, is to take care of your body. I really didn’t, and the bill has come due.

Anyway, more than enough about me. I shouldn’t have even gone there The Rebels will figure this out. I’m sure of that. So, I don’t expect my hiatus to last very long. Hell, here I am, expounding on their fate as we speak, so I’m probably just full of s*/t anyway. After all, they’re my favorite subject at this time of year. What else can I talk about? Baseball season won’t start for a couple of months (Let’s Go Mets!). and politics are better left for a very different forum.

I’ll work this out. If not contributing, I’ll be lurking. I need to hear your opinions, as well as others, and before long, I’ll have some of my own to share. Just not today. And the worst thing is that this conversation has turned away from our favorite team. it’s become about me. That should never happen. So let’s agree to end it here. Your thoughts and knowledge about the Rebels are most welcome. Keep ‘em coming.
unwind.jpg

Go Rebels!

Actually, Broken might be an apropos word. I can't even look at the football board since the loss to Howard. It's like being disappointed by your brother- Yeah, you love him, but when he gets a DUI and tells the police he is you, it makes you want to change families, but you can't do that. Years pass and all is laughed about. That what hurts these boards is that we don't want constant reminders of our disappointments. So we break off contact for a while. I know these players care, and they play hard, but dammit, can't they just throw us a bone once in a while?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT