ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV down to 4 candidates

Rebel_Westgate

Walk On
Jan 9, 2016
Been told a few days ago that meetings were being held about candidates for the UNLV job -
Today I would like to share some information regarding the UNLV basketball head coaching job. UNLV has a plan in place to have 4 candidates in line by early March. If other candidates are added to the list it would come after the initial candidates are deemed unlikely or a surprise candidate enters which might be unlikely as UNLV wants to hire a coach quickly.

I can confirm that Archie Miller and Joe Pasternack are (2) front runners.

Stacey Augman is not yet included and also Rick Pittino but I have been told that there has been members of the group doing their part in advancing discussions heavily over the last 7 days in getting Pittino involved.

I can confirm that Todd Simon is 100% out of the running but might be advised by the athletic department to the new coach to keep Simon is he choses to remain in LV as an assistant.

Of course Pasternack is a front runner... What an underwhelming hire that would be. Not to say he couldn't succeed or end up being a good hire. Just not exciting for me.

And no pitino at this time? I find that hard to believe. How can they not have him included?

Reactions: Starky34
How is Pitino not the single front runner? Makes no sense. hearing pasternak is in the running makes me depressed as ****

Been told a few days ago that meetings were being held about candidates for the UNLV job -
Today I would like to share some information regarding the UNLV basketball head coaching job. UNLV has a plan in place to have 4 candidates in line by early March. If other candidates are added to the list it would come after the initial candidates are deemed unlikely or a surprise candidate enters which might be unlikely as UNLV wants to hire a coach quickly.

I can confirm that Archie Miller and Joe Pasternack are (2) front runners.

Stacey Augman is not yet included and also Rick Pittino but I have been told that there has been members of the group doing their part in advancing discussions heavily over the last 7 days in getting Pittino involved.

I can confirm that Todd Simon is 100% out of the running but might be advised by the athletic department to the new coach to keep Simon is he choses to remain in LV as an assistant.
If someone like Pasternack or the like is hired then UNLV basketball is truly dead. This program can't gamble on unproved assistants or those with a mediocre head coaching history. The base has to be energized with this hire or else we are destined to be a mediocre mid-major in a mediocre conference...basically what we are now.

Reactions: 76Rebel Man
Soul Cane and Runrebs are right on the money, Pasternack would not be good! It would show that the administration and boosters at unlv are not serious about turning the rebels in to a top 20 program! The guy had one run at being a head coach at new orleans and he ended up having a losing record and no ncaa trips!!

Soul Cane and Runrebs are right on the money, Pasternack would not be good! It would show that the administration and boosters at unlv are not serious about turning the rebels in to a top 20 program! The guy had one run at being a head coach at new orleans and he ended up having a losing record and no ncaa trips!!
I wouldn't be crazy about Pasternack either. But you're just glancing at his situation. A lot of mitigating circumstances involved at UNO that made it impossible to succeed at even a moderate level if you look into it.

Nothing in the original post feels like 'inside info'

Pasternack's name popped up a few weeks ago. Archie Miller has been on the radar for quite a while. Nobody felt Todd Simon had a legit shot at the job unless he made some type of miracle run. Stacey expressed interest in the job for the first time in an interview, so obviously he hadn't been on the radar. Retaining Simon or Ryan Miller for recruiting purposes is a smart move, but also very typical with programs going with a coaching change. We saw it last year with Sanchez retaining Coach Cormier for football.

Anything involving Pitino may revolve around what else is brought to light during the investigation.

Not that I doubt the list, but everybody reading these boards or the local paper could have come up with it.

Nothing in the original post feels like 'inside info'

Pasternack's name popped up a few weeks ago. Archie Miller has been on the radar for quite a while. Nobody felt Todd Simon had a legit shot at the job unless he made some type of miracle run. Stacey expressed interest in the job for the first time in an interview, so obviously he hadn't been on the radar. Retaining Simon or Ryan Miller for recruiting purposes is a smart move, but also very typical with programs going with a coaching change. We saw it last year with Sanchez retaining Coach Cormier for football.

Anything involving Pitino may revolve around what else is brought to light during the investigation.

Not that I doubt the list, but everybody reading these boards or the local paper could have come up with it.
BINGO

Archie Miller is highly doubtful at this time. I would say his level of interest in taking the UNLV job is about 5%. If Pasterneck is the leader then I would say we have complete Imbeciles in charge. There has to be others out there who have much more experience. Now I know when I mention this name people will trash him but why wouldn't they would look at someone like Seth Greenberg. I know his coaching career records aren't great but there isn't any denying that he can coach. He coached in a tough ACC and was a sticker in the foot of other teams. My point is there has to be other people out there that have experience. If not then go for Augmon.

Reactions: Starky34
Archie Miller is highly doubtful at this time. I would say his level of interest in taking the UNLV job is about 5%. If Pasterneck is the leader then I would say we have complete Imbeciles in charge. There has to be others out there who have much more experience. Now I know when I mention this name people will trash him but why wouldn't they would look at someone like Seth Greenberg. I know his coaching career records aren't great but there isn't any denying that he can coach. He coached in a tough ACC and was a sticker in the foot of other teams. My point is there has to be other people out there that have experience. If not then go for Augmon.
Myself, I like nothing at all about Greenberg. He's not a winner. Can't stand what he did to his kids at LBSU in '91. Long story short, UNLV steamrolled them by 40+ in the two regular season games. They met in the BWC and he went into the slowest possible offense in the shot clock era. Ok, you don't want to get killed again. But with 4 minutes left, down 14 or so, you are STILL going to slow it down while your own players are pleading for a chance to compete and win an auto bid and get an NCAA birth? Seriously? You are demanding they pull it back after a close range offensive rebound? Because you don't want to get humiliated by another 40-50 point thrashing... I think it shows a sissy mindset. I understand the slow down strategy... But his was a strategy of complete submission by castration.

If we hire Greenberg (ain't gonna happen) then let's add Bobby Hurley, Christian Laettner, and Steve Alford to his bench. Maybe throw in Jimmer as the Special Assistant (ala Max Good). Only that way could I hate our coaching staff more than just Greenberg alone!!!

If we hire Greenberg (ain't gonna happen) then let's add Bobby Hurley, Christian Laettner, and Steve Alford to his bench. Maybe throw in Jimmer as the Special Assistant (ala Max Good). Only that way could I hate our coaching staff more than just Greenberg alone!!!
Sarah Cummard could take Kreigh's place and then it would be the perfect hate staff.

For some reason as soon as I heard Pasternak's name he became the front runner in my mind. It just sounds like something we would do.

Man, that would be depressing.

Not the hire to ignite the fanbase to say the least.. He may be able to turn things around, but would have to produce immediately or it could turn ugly quick.

Last edited:
Reactions: toonkee
My point was that if they are going to look at another bench assistant then they should look at other possible candidates that are out there. The Rice hire didn't even look at other coaches. It was him and Theus. They need to open this up. Pasterneck is not the right choice. I will take Augmon over him.

Reactions: RebelScrub
If those are the names we have on the short list we might as well go full r tard and hire Hauck to coach rebounding.

Join the
Of course Pasternack is a front runner... What an underwhelming hire that would be. Not to say he couldn't succeed or end up being a good hire. Just not exciting for me.

And no pitino at this time? I find that hard to believe. How can they not have him included?
Join the confidential board. I'll pay for it with the money I owe OSR. You will get these same guesses and answers but from insiders.

Example:

Hell, I'll give you the answer for free! The next coach is..... sorry I can't give that information out. But know that I know. It is important that you know that I KNOW but can't tell you. But believe that I know.

You're welcome.

Join the

Join the confidential board. I'll pay for it with the money I owe OSR. You will get these same guesses and answers but from insiders.

Example:

Hell, I'll give you the answer for free! The next coach is..... sorry I can't give that information out. But know that I know. It is important that you know that I KNOW but can't tell you. But believe that I know.

You're welcome.
lol. Mods are ghost editing now. Thank you BCV!

And only because it does still bugs me, I did pay OSR. :/

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Join the

Example:

You're welcome.

You have summed up confidential perfectly.

Reactions: ThailandReb
Joe Bruin AKA mee2323 quit beating a dead horse.....Go to the UCLA board and worry about your next coach....Hopefully it's a free site....There is a reason mee2323 is stirring the pot over here....Because #1 he's a Bruin fan who is all butt hurt over Alford and #2 He's a cheap arse that doesn't pay people back....Case closed...

Joe Bruin AKA mee2323 quit beating a dead horse.....Go to the UCLA board and worry about your next coach....Hopefully it's a free site....There is a reason mee2323 is stirring the pot over here....Because #1 he's a Bruin fan who is all butt hurt over Alford and #2 He's a cheap arse that doesn't pay people back....Case closed...
Oh man, OSR bringing the HEAT! Lmao! That's why I love you old man! You're my boy!

I bet you wrote that while having a drink with Uncle Timmy..... Uh oh... Too soon?!?

Reactions: OldSchoolReb
I thought they were going to promote Curtis Terry from a grad assistant to head coach and bring in Derrick Jasper as associate head coach.

this is weird. i thought MEEE23 was the confidential golden boy....whaaa happened?

OSR hammering
BCPT taking a shot
MEE23 swinging back
XFactor trying to keep the peace

should i go pop some corn?

It's always nice to see Matt Alford post on the tark board....Not hammering just a little old school ball busting...

Reactions: bcvegaspt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT