ADVERTISEMENT

Swinging for the fences

Reactions: Trax0r
Nice stroke, turnover prone, doesn't seem overly athletic.

Really nice stroke! I remember having a debate on this board about Cody Doolin. My biggest gripe with Doolin coming in after watching his film was the mechanics on his jump shot which were poor. Translation....he couldn't shoot. What else I do like about him is his height at 6'4" and he appears to have good length. No, he not a high flyer. But he appears to athletic and quick enough and has a couple of nice dunks on the film.

Really nice stroke! I remember having a debate on this board about Cody Doolin. My biggest gripe with Doolin coming in after watching his film was the mechanics on his jump shot which were poor. Translation....he couldn't shoot. What else I do like about him is his height at 6'4" and he appears to have good length. No, he not a high flyer. But he appears to athletic and quick enough and has a couple of nice dunks on the film.
My previous comments didn’t mean that I don’t want him. I absolutely do.

I will add after watching this ncaa tournament it is apparent there are a lot of really good players at all levels. But in general it is my impression what differs players from some of the low major programs is they don't have the depth on their rosters. Take SDSU for example. They have two transfers from Seattle U out of the WAC and more specifically Darrion Trammell their starting pg who is really good.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
After digging a little deeper Allen had better offers coming out of juco (Snow College) than Southern Utah. He was named a Juco 2nd team AA. Has two years of eligibility.

drake allen basketball

Hunter Dickinson from Michigan just entered the portal. He would be a great center for us next year.
(Yes I know we don't have a chance in hell at getting him)

• Haha
Hunter Dickinson from Michigan just entered the portal. He would be a great center for us next year.
(Yes I know we don't have a chance in hell at getting him)
Why not add him and the 7'-5" kid and the top PG prospect out there... after all playing time on paper is what we have to offer...

• Haha
Reactions: LVRebel2000
Trey have short arms and legs. This kid can easily dunk. He is faster than Trey, a lot faster. The only problem is his turn overs.
Woodbury. Tough as a nail. Shot just under 40% from three. Sure could have used him this year. IMO, would be a really good get.

Expect more of the Las Vegas media playbook coming up either during or right after this grace period. This time I think the hype will be for a kid who isn’t at the level to help Kevin keep his job. However, he will get hyped as a player who may develop into a top MWC player someday but can contribute right away.

Of course, it’s the same “push an agenda” as we’ve seen for a while from the media.

Trey have short arms and legs. This kid can easily dunk. He is faster than Trey, a lot faster. The only problem is his turn overs.
Obviously you didn’t watch the NIT Woodbury is not a TRex, get outta here with that stuff! Trey played well and as I said before I’d take him back here in a New York minute, don’t matter if you don’t agree!

UNLV needs to get a lot bigger and stronger in the paint. Even a healthy Cottrell won’t feel that role. Slide him to the 4. Bring in an active shot block/rebounder.

My point. CSI has two really good juco s on their roster besides Whaley. I hope KK is taking a serious look at Joel Armotrading out of Europe who is a very active rim protector and defender. Reminds a lot of Joel Anthony coming out of Daytona juco.

My point. CSI has two really good juco s on their roster besides Whaley. I hope KK is taking a serious look at Joel Armotrading out of Europe who is a very active rim protector and defender. Reminds a lot of Joel Anthony coming out of Daytona juco.

KK doesn't have the luxury unfortunately of 2 Juco projects... most Juco kids these days are exactly that. Might have the tools and after 2 or 3 years in D1 would be a great contributing factor, but KK can't spend time to develop players or wait for them to develop naturally...
His stat increase this year is trending in right direction, but I dont trust Juco talent theyre going up against... andJuco shopping would seem like a very bad sign

High light reel shows he can protect the rim. The offense part was either fast breaks or passes or rebounds to him so you really could not tell about skills. He does have better hands than the big men we had this last year.

Reactions: TimothyC3
KK doesn't have the luxury unfortunately of 2 Juco projects... most Juco kids these days are exactly that. Might have the tools and after 2 or 3 years in D1 would be a great contributing factor, but KK can't spend time to develop players or wait for them to develop naturally...
His stat increase this year is trending in right direction, but I dont trust Juco talent theyre going up against... andJuco shopping would seem like a very bad sign
Coach Tang from K-State might disagree. He brought in 2 jucos in his first class and his starting 6’9” starting forward Nae’Qwan Tomlin played for Chipola Junior College

Last edited:
For example, if 6’8” forward Yaxel Lendborg out of Arizona Western who committed to St. John’s (was heavily recruited by Memphis too) and has recently opened it up his recruiting committed to UNLV I would care less that he played juco.

Last edited:
Coach Tang from K-State might disagree. He brought in 2 jucos in his first class and his starting 6’9” starting forward Nae’Qwan Tomlin played for Chipola Junior College
A-hes in a very different position as to what and who he can recruit... and he also has 20 years of experience along side Scott Drew,a premier talent developer in the best conference for basketball... Tomlin was also #7 ranked Juco player(Whaley is 14, not saying there's a difference)
B- no one expected KSU or the roster to mesh the way it did. It's evident that Tang had complete control over players and program. They did what was required of them very well. Sorry, but 2 years in I don't see KK being able to do that.
Again, not saying we can't have 2 Juco kids, just saying it's probably not going to work out as well for KK and he has trouble enough getting D1 talent to compete in MW

Reactions: RRebel
I thought the period up until 4/6 was a dead period? I guess it doesn't stop recruits and/or portal guys from committing?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT