ADVERTISEMENT

Swinging for the fences

This staff is putting up a fight for better players than we’ve been seeing. The fight is legit this time versus our normal pillow fight effort.
This is good to hear, but do they have the NIL backing to be able to pull these players in? They can fight all they want but if they don't have the needed backing it will be like they are fighting Tyson Fury with one arm tied behind their backs.
Sure hope Kevin has what it takes to be able to pull off some top notch players.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Does he actually have any interest in UNLV or just one of those throw it against the wall and see if it sticks type of things?
Probably throw something against the wall and hope it sticks. It doesn’t look like we were even listed as a school who offered him when he was in high school. Those sites could be wrong however. I’d take him 6’6 guard shot 40% from 3.

Does he actually have any interest in UNLV or just one of those throw it against the wall and see if it sticks type of things?
Looks like he went to 3 high schools, and didn't graduate from Gorman, from what I can tell. Maybe played 1 year or something, then finished elsewhere. Not sure the "Gorman star" part is accurate

Probably throw something against the wall and hope it sticks. It doesn’t look like we were even listed as a school who offered him when he was in high school. Those sites could be wrong however. I’d take him 6’6 guard shot 40% from 3.
I know that someone mentioned that Cerio knows stuff, but this is a really big reach and should strip away all credibility that he had/has. Storr never played a game for Gorman because Covid cancelled the season. Saying "Gorman star" and getting the fanbase riled up and excited off of a lie is lame.

NIT/NCAA by yr 3 or hit the road. Thats the UNLV rule.
I find a tremendous difference between the two. Though we were very happy Bayno reached and even advanced - given his absolutely brutal starting position. Young, first time coach, took over after the horrible previous year saw 4 head coaches … year one was bad, though we did beat a ranked Michigan squad, I believe. Quickly built, NIT next season … won a game or two. NCAA’s year three. Not bad for a first time head coach. Yet fans were still not all that happy when we started year 4. He was on the hot seat early in his career as well. Had he not made the NCAA’s, who knows? Fans were grumbling before that WAC run.

I know that someone mentioned that Cerio knows stuff, but this is a really big reach and should strip away all credibility that he had/has. Storr never played a game for Gorman because Covid cancelled the season. Saying "Gorman star" and getting the fanbase riled up and excited off of a lie is lame.
Yea people claim Cerio gets good info but is always cryptic. Anyone can be right if you never give any details.

Be careful buying into whatever the media says about potential players. I'm not saying one way or the other about Mitchell, just that the Graney playbook was to build up UNLV as possibly signing Michael Jordan and hiring Greg Popovich only so that we, as fans, are let down about who we end up with. Others are following this suit and it's why they get poor information and are left to guess. I'd say that they are correct about 10% of the time, especially regarding potential players, so take things with a grain of salt and don't expect everyone that they mention.

I don't know if Graney still does this since I haven't read or heard anything he's put out for years. I just know how he used to work and that it's become more of the norm within the local papers (one reporter still appears to have credibility, but I won't name names, good or bad. I don't like labelling "misinformation" since we are all allowed to be right and wrong and believe whoever and whatever we want).

Be careful buying into whatever the media says about potential players. I'm not saying one way or the other about Mitchell, just that the Graney playbook was to build up UNLV as possibly signing Michael Jordan and hiring Greg Popovich only so that we, as fans, are let down about who we end up with. Others are following this suit and it's why they get poor information and are left to guess. I'd say that they are correct about 10% of the time, especially regarding potential players, so take things with a grain of salt and don't expect everyone that they mention.

I don't know if Graney still does this since I haven't read or heard anything he's put out for years. I just know how he used to work and that it's become more of the norm within the local papers (one reporter still appears to have credibility, but I won't name names, good or bad. I don't like labelling "misinformation" since we are all allowed to be right and wrong and believe whoever and whatever we want).
I totally agree on the what you've said about the media. But, for me it's not so much about believing in what is right and wrong it's more about what is true and what is false. But, even then you have to do a lot of digging to find out what is true and what is false. As far as what they report as potential players I don't believe any of it until the player puts his/her name on the dotted line. Like the kid from Pepperdine that was written about recently. All I could do was take it with a grain of salt and ignore it.

Mitchell has great stats and makes us dream.

Then we come back to reality and are disappointed.

Playbook continued.
Same old same old. We were never even in contention so the article about UNLV's interest was dumb. Many schools are interested; doesn't mean that an article that hypes our chances up for no reason needs to be written.

Same old same old. We were never even in contention so the article about UNLV's interest was dumb. Many schools are interested; doesn't mean that an article that hypes our chances up for no reason needs to be written.
Do we know we were never in contention? What is your source on that? Surprised a person playing in So Cal wants to come to Minnesota where there is still over a foot of snow on the ground and it is almost April.

Do we know we were never in contention? What is your source on that? Surprised a person playing in So Cal wants to come to Minnesota where there is still over a foot of snow on the ground and it is almost April.
I was thinking the same thing. But maybe they put up some good NIL to make it worth his time.

I'm in the program and can confirm we never offered.

I'm just as surprised as you that he chose Minnesota. Also he's from the Bay Area.

I find a tremendous difference between the two. Though we were very happy Bayno reached and even advanced - given his absolutely brutal starting position. Young, first time coach, took over after the horrible previous year saw 4 head coaches … year one was bad, though we did beat a ranked Michigan squad, I believe. Quickly built, NIT next season … won a game or two. NCAA’s year three. Not bad for a first time head coach. Yet fans were still not all that happy when we started year 4. He was on the hot seat early in his career as well. Had he not made the NCAA’s, who knows? Fans were grumbling before that WAC run.
From what I'm seeing now I'd love to see another Tyrone nesby back in here for a mwc championship game.. even if winds up a one and done in the big dance...

Exactly! The article on Mitchell was nothing more than click bait. There is no source. No quotes. Additionally, it said "potential target". It was BS.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT