ADVERTISEMENT

SDSU VS UNLV (pucker up edition)

CKK waits for media timeout while UNLV getting schooled, turning it over and fouling. Game already over.

Chucking 3s. CKK has no control these guys. Rodriquez, JJ & Webster throwing up 3s while Kalib’s name is rarely heard.

Chucking 3s. CKK has no control these guys. Rodriquez, JJ & Webster throwing up 3s while Kalib’s name is rarely heard.
Kalib is a head case!
All that talent and he barely shows up, what else could it be? Well maybe Kevin is rubbing him the wrong way, you never know!

So much for having lots of experienced former P5 players. Our offense looks like pick up ball and we mostly suck from 3pt range.

How in the world did Keylan Boone shoot 40% from 3 last year? He looks super shaky with his shot.

And Webster looks no better. So our 3 pt shooters are Webster, Keylan, Luis, and JJ. Only 1 of those 4 is shooting ok.

Lost the game in the first 5 min when they were out of sorts and CKK wouldn’t call a TO and the team was quickly down double digits. After that they played SDSU even.

Lost the game in the first 5 min when they were out of sorts and CKK wouldn’t call a TO and the team was quickly down double digits. After that they played SDSU even.
SDSU was coasting. It was obvious.

What is this 25 out of the last 26 for SDSU vs UNLV. In went to the beach this morning/ early afternoon going to this game never even crossed my mind. Sad.

What is this 25 out of the last 26 for SDSU vs UNLV. In went to the beach this morning/ early afternoon going to this game never even crossed my mind. Sad.
I remember an upset win when they were undefeated in a wonky Covid impacted year. Lon struggled heavily with them, we had that amazing comeback down 10 with 20 seconds left (Curtis three at the buzzer) … Rice had a sweep with Khem … those are most of the wins since LK’s time. Spoon won a couple, lost in the MWC finals, but that was when the program was starting to sprout.

Reactions: butta1231
We have worst offense ever. High pick and rolls from around 35 feet out. No one ever cuts, just high pick and roll, throw it around the horn, once in awhile dump it in low. K Boone moves so glacial that if guards come to help he is a turnover machine.

Reactions: billd99s
We have worst offense ever. High pick and rolls from around 35 feet out. No one ever cuts, just high pick and roll, throw it around the horn, once in awhile dump it in low. K Boone moves so glacial that if guards come to help he is a turnover machine.
Agreed!
My question is, if this is what you want to run, shouldn’t you recruit the types of wings who can shoot the 3, have a midrange shot or have guys who can finish at the rim? Surely Kevin should be able to understand this? But he continues to pick guys who are at best “bad” shooters and have no rim protector in the paint at all!

Agreed!
My question is, if this is what you want to run, shouldn’t you recruit the types of wings who can shoot the 3, have a midrange shot or have guys who can finish at the rim? Surely Kevin should be able to understand this? But he continues to pick guys who are at best “bad” shooters and have no rim protector in the paint at all!
UNLV went on a Run with Jackie in the game playing great Defense they take him out and San Diego State goes on a Run WTF

I wonder what the Arkansas boards sound like after getting beat at home by Auburn by 32. Muss was hilarious in his presser.

This team suffers from a lack of discipline culture. They just play free flowing whatever I want to do basketball and against good teams it pops up when we get close. There's enough individual talents to keep games competitive till 1 player decides its their time to be lazy or to take a bad shot. You often hear the announcer say "that's a good look" as our 3 point attempts clang off the rim, and I shake my head and say no, that's good defense, because we aren't disciplined enough to not take the shot teams know we aren't going to hit. On the off chance we do get hot, they'll take a loss, but 80% of the time, you allow JJ, Webster, and Lou Rod to take a 3 because they can't punish you consistently. Then you add the 2 Boone Brothers taking plays off or series off on both ends of the court or being unaware as Super Seniors that aggressive defenders are hustling after them and you get today's results time and time again. No discipline to do what the game needs to get into it or control it. No discipline to stop a run of bad offense by actually running something. And it goes to coaching and not respecting it

Reactions: billd99s
A mark of a good offense is at least 4-5 passes and the ball changing sides twice on a possession. We’re not anywhere close to that.

Reactions: rebel5280
I went for a walk at a park this morning. Got home with a few minutes left in the first half. Didn’t rush today since I’ve prioritized the Rebels for years and they haven’t returned the favor.

Also, the refs absolutely destroyed any flow/fun in the game. Bill Clinton can single-handedly make watching college hoops an unpleasant experience.

I just watched the game -

Its painful.

It hurts to see the disorganized offense try to operate

Granted its SDSU defense - You know what they are going to do - and they still make you look bad

But c'mon _ we have a decent amount of talent - they just don't seem to work together as a unit at all.

I get the feeling over and over again that we just don't get as much practice time as the other teams.

Was Kevin's recruiting pitch - "Come to UNLV - You dont have to practice that much" ???

by the time they are 5th year seniors they DRED practice - Kevin whispers in their ear during their visit

"SHHHHH - dont tell the press - but we hardly practice - Do what you want with your own time - just come to play"

Interesting loss, didn't SDSU go to the NCAA Championship game last year? SDSU went into Gonzaga and beat them by 10? I'll hold judgment until the second time through see what kind of improvement there is. These guys just seem a bit disjointed led by a freshly turned 18 year old not good coming out of the gates. We'll see,

If the season continues along the same line, and they bring back Kruger, they will have crowds that couldn't fill a high school gym next year!

Interesting loss, didn't SDSU go to the NCAA Championship game last year? SDSU went into Gonzaga and beat them by 10? I'll hold judgment until the second time through see what kind of improvement there is. These guys just seem a bit disjointed led by a freshly turned 18 year old not good coming out of the gates. We'll see,
Appreciate your positivity and you make fair points. Perhaps I’ve just become so jaded over the last 3 coaching selections showing how little UNLV has valued its premier program and it’s reflected in my attitude towards the coach and the program. Hoping you’re right and these guys need more time to gel and (hopefully) get fully healthy. So much points to the coach that it’s hard for me to believe it’s a simple matter of time.

Reactions: rebel5280
Appreciate your positivity and you make fair points. Perhaps I’ve just become so jaded over the last 3 coaching selections showing how little UNLV has valued its premier program and it’s reflected in my attitude towards the coach and the program. Hoping you’re right and these guys need more time to gel and (hopefully) get fully healthy. So much points to the coach that it’s hard for me to believe it’s a simple matter of time.
I still have this small hope that Kruger will turn things around, but from what I have seen up to this point, I find it unlikely UNLV will do much better than struggle to have a winning record.

I still have this small hope that Kruger will turn things around, but from what I have seen up to this point, I find it unlikely UNLV will do much better than struggle to have a winning record.
I think a winning record will depend on weather we count Carrol and Bethesda.

Reactions: j. spilotro
I think a winning record will depend on weather we count Carrol and Bethesda.
I believe you might be right.

If they plan on getting rid of him, they’ll drop them.

If there’s a fight to keep him, they’ll count them.

Otherwise, may as well schedule 13 Bethesdas for 13 easy wins, hope to win 11 in conference with the conference being “better” than expected so that first set of non-metrics are a complete nothing, won’t hurt you or help you, but you got those 13 … and if the conference is better than expected, grab 10 or 11 … your records against the quads might be good as well as overall metrics.

Smart fans know they were horseshit games and one was completely unnecessary, like stopping off at McDonalds after spending an hour and a half scarfing at the Wynn buffet. They did it for one reason and one reason only, regardless of what was fed to the media. It wasn’t for confidence, sharpness …. It was to tack on the easiest of wins in a season where there’s a struggle for wins. The Carroll game, doesn’t bug me so much; it was a bit out of place, usually those are early non-con games but everyone plays one.

Searching high and low for any takers of a last second game that you’re not obligated to play at all? That’s just trying to stack the record, it’s downright embarrassing. 400 fans had to watch that crap. Self esteem has to be extremely low to get into the ring with Ray Charles.

I believe you might be right.

If they plan on getting rid of him, they’ll drop them.

If there’s a fight to keep him, they’ll count them.

Otherwise, may as well schedule 13 Bethesdas for 13 easy wins, hope to win 11 in conference with the conference being “better” than expected so that first set of non-metrics are a complete nothing, won’t hurt you or help you, but you got those 13 … and if the conference is better than expected, grab 10 or 11 … your records against the quads might be good as well as overall metrics.

Smart fans know they were horseshit games and one was completely unnecessary, like stopping off at McDonalds after spending an hour and a half scarfing at the Wynn buffet. They did it for one reason and one reason only, regardless of what was fed to the media. It wasn’t for confidence, sharpness …. It was to tack on the easiest of wins in a season where there’s a struggle for wins. The Carroll game, doesn’t bug me so much; it was a bit out of place, usually those are early non-con games but everyone plays one.

Searching high and low for any takers of a last second game that you’re not obligated to play at all? That’s just trying to stack the record, it’s downright embarrassing. 400 fans had to watch that crap. Self esteem has to be extremely low to get into the ring with Ray Charles.
Hey Pal, I saw Ray Charles perform at the Texas Station before he died.

I’m insulted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT