ADVERTISEMENT

Sanchez appears to be making big moves for asst coaches

Look like very solid additions. It will be interesting to see what capacity they both serve in on Sanchez's staff. Barney Cotton seems pretty established.

Originally posted by 702Rebel Knight:
Does anyone know if any of our current staff is being retained and if so who?
I have continually heard that Cormier (WR) is likely to be retained, though nothing sounds official.

It appears that a lot of the Nebraska fans on twitter are happy to see Cotton go. Doesn't mean much since they went 9-3 and lost every game they played against a ranked team (3). The difference is that they are looking at coaching and winning at the highest level, and UNLV is just trying to get to the highest level in the MWC.

It does appear that Cotton has ties to coach Sanchez in that he was an asst at New Mexico St., and that Nebraska has been recruiting for the offensive line out of Bishop Gorman.

Joe, you don't have to disclose names, but have you heard who the others "might" be? And also, further details on what "could" be part of the big picture plan?

The big picture is basically this - get assistants who know the game well and can recruit well. Coordinators will be the type that would basically be qualified to be HC at UNLV. Know their X's and O's, can develop, have experience and can recruit. There is no doubt in my mind that this will be the best assistant staff UNLV has ever had. No doubt in my mind that it'll be the best overall recruiting UNLV has had.

All this costs money, a lot of it. And UNLV has/will have it. Just because Sanchez wasn't holding a cardboard check for a ton of dollars doesn't mean it isn't there.

Yeah, I know names, not divulging them as they are still working. Overall, people will very pleased in my opinion. Strong staff that'll be expected to carry thier weight.

And you'll end up seeing Las Vegas recruited heavier than ever, too.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

That's awesome news. I hope Sanchez has the staff filled out by the end of the week as he mentioned in the press conference. I'm excited to hear the rest of the names, and see what other moves get underway.

Originally posted by LVRebel2000:
Originally posted by 702Rebel Knight:
Is Ed Orgeron in the plans at all?
that would almost be too unbelievable. But amazing if he is...
Yeah, That would be simply amazing if Sanchez could get him as part of his staff I believe he was USC's top recruiter under Pete Carroll for many years.

Originally posted by Rebel1986:
It appears that a lot of the Nebraska fans on twitter are happy to see Cotton go. Doesn't mean much since they went 9-3 and lost every game they played against a ranked team (3). The difference is that they are looking at coaching and winning at the highest level, and UNLV is just trying to get to the highest level in the MWC.

It does appear that Cotton has ties to coach Sanchez in that he was an asst at New Mexico St., and that Nebraska has been recruiting for the offensive line out of Bishop Gorman.
I wouldn't read too much into the fact that Nebraska fans are happy to see Cotton go. He as a lot of experience and should be a good fit to bring that experience to the new staff.

I would say on the other side of the coin that a fair amount of fans are disappointed to Garrison go. He is a younger energetic coach who is a really good recruited and (was a rivals top 25 recruiter in 2013) will be a great fit here. In the last couple of years he and Cotton did do a nice job with the OL here in Nebraska. I think the Nebraska OL was 1 to 2 years away from being a great OL under Garrison. In the last couple of classes he brought in some pretty nice young talent and it would have been fun to see what he could have done with this group in a couple of years. In 2013 they had a ton of injuries to deal with and were still able to produce a strong running game. I think Garrison is a younger coaching star on the rise and is a home run hire here.

Good luck to them both and UNLV now has a fan here in Nebraska and I will keep an eye on the Rebels to see how these two do.

This post was edited on 12/16 10:46 AM by ridge22

Thanks for the message. I think there is a huge amount of excitement (huge for UNLV football) here with the way that Sanchez has come out the gate with a lot of enthusiasm and the quick choice of the two Nebraska assistant coaches as his first two potential assistant coaches. It will be a lot of fun to see the changes on the offensive line and the improvement to the running game. With a great passing game, the addition of a good running game should open the offense up and drastically improve the amount of scoring. Now they just need to fix the defense against the run.

The last time UNLV had a coach that had a desire to go out into the community and bring any type of excitement to the fans and the program was with Coach John Robinson. I can see that Sanchez will do everything he can to bring new fans out to the game and fill the stadium. I wouldn't be surprised to see a nearly full stadium next season in comparison to a less than half full stadium this season. I will be watching every day over the next couple of month to see who the new coaching staff will be, and who they will go after in recruiting. I expect a big pick up in recruiting, and the end of UNLV being at the bottom of the recruiting wars for the MWC.

Good luck to Nebraska with your new coaching staff. I hope to see UNLV play Nebraska in a few years when the program has been turned around.

Originally posted by ridge22:

I wouldn't read too much into the fact that Nebraska fans are happy to see Cotton go. He as a lot of experience and will be a should be a good fit to bring that experience to the new staff.

I would say on the other side of the coin that a fair amount of fans are disappointed to Garrison go. He is a younger energetic coach who is a really good recruited and (was a rivals top 25 recruiter in 2013) will be a great fit here. In the last couple of years he and Cotton did do a nice job with the OL here in Nebraska. I think the Nebraska OL was 1 to 2 years away from being a great OL under Garrison. In the last couple of classes he brought in some pretty nice young talent and it would have been fun to see what he could have done with this group in a couple of years. In 2013 they had a ton of injuries to deal with and were still able to produce a strong running game. I think Garrison is a younger coaching star on the rise and is a home run hire here.

Good luck to them both and UNLV now has a fan here in Nebraska and I will keep an eye on the Rebels to see how these two do.
Likewise, Tim Miles has brought you some Husker bball fans in Southern Nevada.

Likewise, Tim Miles has brought you some Husker bball fans in Southern Nevada.
Yeah Miles has brought a lot of excitement here. Nebraska basketball has been a gong show for a long time, so if he can get them over the hump of not winning a NCAA tournament game that would be huge. They are scuffling a little bit early in the year, but we will see what happens. The Big Ten is going to be really tough this year and if he can get them over .500 in league that would be a success.

You are getting two good coaches in Cotton and Garrison. There are some pretty critical Husker fans that are down on Cotton, but he's a very good, very experienced coach. And when he's been an OC, he's been solid at getting his teams competitive.

I think both these coaches will do a great job for UNLV.

Sanchez sure seems to putting together a pretty darn good staff!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT