ADVERTISEMENT

Rice, Rice, baby

"Dave Rice led UNLV to two NCAA tournament appearances in his first two years as a head coach. "
And no one mention's the fact that those were LON KRUGER'S PLAYERS!!!
As LK's players graduated and moved on you saw the slow demise of Rice's program.

After that you saw the kind of player's Rice recruited....Anthony Bennett.
LAZY, NO HUSTLE, NO DEFENSE = 1st ROUND NBA BUST.

Rice' issue was never recruiting it was always constructing a roster.

You can have one Anthony Bennett, you can't have 3 or 4 of them and hope to win games.

He was able to recruit a lot of talented players. Unfortunately a lot of them had one foot out the door the minute they got on campus (dreams of the NBA).

He recruited a bunch of guys that let's be honest, when the lights were on (Big ESPN game vs Oregon) they showed up. Trip out to Fresno or Wyoming in the middle of the week...Not so much.

He also missed in evaluation a couple times.

The biggest issue is there was so much dysfunction in house.

His intentions were good. He recruited well (minus character evaluations). I think he was naive in the sense that the players he recruited had the same passion to win. When what he got were a lot of malcontents and me guys.

Still think he was treated poorly. But ultimately he was in charge so it falls on him.

Kevin is still a young coach. J think the 10 of 11 down the stretch saved his job.

If we can all agree that players can develop and get better over time, the same could be said of a coach especially as young as Kevin. That's my hope at least. We'll see.

I was 50/50 in bringing him back. I think there's merit to both arguments.

I will say anything short of an invite to the dance next year and that's likely it.

The top 5 recruits I can remember that committed to Unlv were LJ, Sid Green, Lloyd Daniels, Shawn Kemp, and Ed O'Bannon. We know only 2 of those ever played for Unlv. Rashad V and Zimmerman would based on high school rankings just be a notch below that bunch I mentioned. So yes, I was expecting 2Y
You forgot a few: Shawn Marion, Anthony Bennett, Keon Clark, JR Rider

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT