ADVERTISEMENT

Now that our team is set....

A 17yo going into college is a major step in their life. Then add needing to accelerate the educational aspect to wrap up high school a year early and then take up a full course load in college is a giant responsibility. Now add going into D1 basketball at the same time along with being slated as the starting floor general for a D1 team and being expected to do what hasn’t been done in over a decade isn’t as easy as some would make it seem. This should be about what is best for him. Family decision
We’ve had “better” PG’s that struggled with a normal timeline as a freshman. It’s a huge responsibility and adjustment. Not saying he cannot do it, but high expectations are a bit unfair, imo.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
A 17yo going into college is a major step in their life. Then add needing to accelerate the educational aspect to wrap up high school a year early and then take up a full course load in college is a giant responsibility. Now add going into D1 basketball at the same time along with being slated as the starting floor general for a D1 team and being expected to do what hasn’t been done in over a decade isn’t as easy as some would make it seem. This should be about what is best for him. Family decision
I bet if he doesnt reclassify, there will be lots of fans that are up in arms and theyll turn on DJ and his family.

Selfish selfish people and not true fans

He will be reclassifying unless theres a last minute snag. Its been circulating that he was going to reclass for over a year and I'm sure his family has prepared for this.

Their family moves very meticulously and keeps things close to the vest, as they should. It makes even more sense because we are throwing a lot of expectations on this team and DJ and I am one of the people that are doing this as well.
It is smart of him to join in on a team that are mostly 5th year seniors and good talented players!

I bet if he doesnt reclassify, there will be lots of fans that are up in arms and theyll turn on DJ and his family.

Selfish selfish people and not true fans
I hope he gets in this year, but if he does not I'm just glad he his a Rebel!

Reactions: unlove
In the interview Dedan SR said that jr has always played against players a grade or two above him so that may help with the physicality and this would be the first year he would have to play against kids his own age. So I think the family might think it would be to his detriment to stay in HS another year. I know the upper class men aren't the same as college players but he would be able to hold his own against bigger stronger players. Why take the chance of an injury playing against his peers when there is no advantage.

In the interview Dedan SR said that jr has always played against players a grade or two above him so that may help with the physicality and this would be the first year he would have to play against kids his own age. So I think the family might think it would be to his detriment to stay in HS another year. I know the upper class men aren't the same as college players but he would be able to hold his own against bigger stronger players. Why take the chance of an injury playing against his peers when there is no advantage.
He has to be reclassifying. I still would like to see a solid backup PG added.

I feel like its very hard to recruit someone in the portal to be a backup. Im sure whoever hears from us knows that they wont be starting. why would anyone come to a new school to be a backup
Makes sense. Especially with Kalib ranked the No. 10 center in the portal.

10. KALIB BOONE, SR: COMMITTED TO UNLV FROM OKLAHOMA STATE​

11617831.jpg
(Photo: Alonzo Adams, USA TODAY Sports)
Overall Rank: No. 64
Kalib Boone rounds out the list as the No. 10 center transfer this cycle. Boone is an undersized big who can provide an offensive spark for UNLV. This season, Boone scored at least 15 points on 13 different occasions for Oklahoma State and played in all 36 games. We should also note that Boone will join his brother Keylan Boone for his fifth season of college basketball.

I feel like its very hard to recruit someone in the portal to be a backup. Im sure whoever hears from us knows that they wont be starting. why would anyone come to a new school to be a backup
Why would someone come to be a backup? (1) Their only offers are for backup positions at other programs (2) They are confident enough in their skills that they think they can get the starting position. (3) Only getting offers from lower-level mid - major schools (4) They are currently a backup but want to leave because of the coach, school, move closer to home, new girlfriend, etc. etc.

It's extremely hard, if not impossible, to tell what is going through a young person's mind

I
Why would someone come to be a backup? (1) Their only offers are for backup positions at other programs (2) They are confident enough in their skills that they think they can get the starting position. (3) Only getting offers from lower-level mid - major schools (4) They are currently a backup but want to leave because of the coach, school, move closer to home, new girlfriend, etc. etc.

It's extremely hard, if not impossible, to tell what is going through a young person's mind
While I agree with all of your points, if we get a backup PG who is confident enough that they think they can start over DJ, then I don't want him. That's just delusion. Same thing with a backup C thinking he can come in and start over Kalib.

Overall, my main point was that no one wants to be a backup. Most players in the portal are looking to actually get a bigger opportunity and that usually means starting and if it's not starting, playing a lot of minutes. It's very rare for a backup to transfer to a school just to be another backup, although everything you mentioned is very valid.

How do I know what's going through players minds? Because I talk to them.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
How about getting a C who can play next to Boone against better teams so we are not undersized at C? I know most here think Boone is good enough but he is technically undersized, at 6’9” 210, that’s a solid PF. There was a reason Kevin is trying to bring in Diongue? We need a rim protecting rebounder next to Boone to maximize this team next year!

Reactions: Rebelhustle
He's played top flight AAU ball for some time... he's played against some of the better D-1 prospect kids out there I'm sure during that time... it's how the sport works these days. And as a PG, he doesn't necessarily need to be physically large...

He's played top flight AAU ball for some time... he's played against some of the better D-1 prospect kids out there I'm sure during that time... it's how the sport works these days. And as a PG, he doesn't necessarily need to be physically large...
I agree!

I kind of wish he played in the Nike EYBL instead of Adidas 3SSB because although the adidas circuit is tough, almost all the top players are in the Nike EYBL. Regardless, I think DJ is a great player and basketball wise he's ready for college

How about getting a C who can play next to Boone against better teams so we are not undersized at C? I know most here think Boone is good enough but he is technically undersized, at 6’9” 210, that’s a solid PF. There was a reason Kevin is trying to bring in Diongue? We need a rim protecting rebounder next to Boone to maximize this team next year!
Basically Boone is the same size as Khem Birch who did fine at the 5. I also would like another 5 but only as a backup.

Basically Boone is the same size as Khem Birch who did fine at the 5. I also would like another 5 but only as a backup.
Very true. Also, Boone is actually a little longer and slightly more athletic than Khem. Both are 6’9”. But Birch has a wingspan at 7’1” and Boone is 7’3”. Also, Birch had an impressive 35” vertical and Boone an even more impressive 39” vertical. Also, 247 ranked Boone the No. 10 center in the portal.

Source on Birch: https://www.nbadraft.net/players/khem-birch/
Source on Boone: https://pokesreport.com/s/1133/standouts-from-oklahoma-state-basketballs-combine-day

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT