ADVERTISEMENT

Now that our team is set....

Respectfully, LuRod will not be playing the 4 this season nor will he back up Cottrell.

Not saying Cottrell won't start because if he's fully healthy, he will get a lot of run, but in no way is LuRod a 4. He will be playing a lot of 2 and 3.
I agree with this!
LuRod is a 2/3 wing type, not a 4 man!

Respectfully, LuRod will not be playing the 4 this season nor will he back up Cottrell.

Not saying Cottrell won't start because if he's fully healthy, he will get a lot of run, but in no way is LuRod a 4. He will be playing a lot of 2 and 3.
Lu Rod will be playing shooting guard along with Nowell. Will need tall guards to pull opponents off of Dedan. Webster will be back up pg. We won't need a stand still offense this year. It will be movement and cutting to take advantage of deep bench. Brooklyn and Whaley will push for playing time too.,

Reactions: LVRebel2000

Cottrell is a big if. I don’t expect more than 15 MPG. I think Diongue will probably pass him by the end of next season.

Reactions: j. spilotro
This team will not resemble last year’s squad. People won’t need to play out of position and we won’t need to cover up a weak front court. The new players from last year, JJ3 and Nowell will be ready to do their jobs. Roster construction was very intensional.

I am just taking the hope that Cottrell is healthy and playing in top form. Really nothing of a surety just hope on my part. I know Rod isn’t a 4 but going off how Kruger ran last year I expect more of 3 guys on the floor that play the 2 and 3, one center and a PG. Especially if Cottrell doesn’t return full health I would expect Thomas, Keylan, Hill, Rod and Kalib with Nowell being the sixth man.

JJ will figure into the rotation next year, he will not be forgotten here?!
If he does that would be good because it would mean he would be a vastly improved player. I don’t see JJ being able to crack time in the SG rotation and a player has to be willing to pass the ball to be considered a PG. I like the kid but if he wants to see any playing time he needs to learn that he has team members on the court with him first.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Everyone has good opinions and very valid. I like this calm and composed dialogue. Thank you for that lol.

Here are some of my opinions;

I hope Cottrell will be good to go. He's a good guy and insane recruiter. His first basket back at T&M will cause an earthquake.

I hope Web doesn't play much PG. need him as a catch and shoot threat.

JJJ looked like he improved a bit in terms of NOT chucking the ball. When he plays within the system, he is good. He can take over but it has to be selective.

We all want Nowell to take that next step and I think he will. He will have to be patient this season AGAIN. Like many ppl said, he has the talent go to the league.

There's a lot of talent on this team and we will need everyone to gel. I expect us to and we will be very dangerous

He will love having the big guys to feed the post. this team will not be short of talented SF, SG's, PF, C. PG is actually a strength.
If you would have seen what we have seen over years, you would not be that impressed with the talents we have. It just take one player, though, to make a team from being good to great. One player that can galvanised everyone and bring their best effort. LJ did that for the 90-91 teams

Reactions: unlove
If you would have seen what we have seen over years, you would not be that impressed with the talents we have. It just take one player, though, to make a team from being good to great. One player that can galvanised everyone and bring their best effort. LJ did that for the 90-91 teams
100%. LJ was uber talented and could have forced himself as the alpha male on that team but instead he came in and played his “role” and put the team above himself (and yet he still dominated). Unselfish and a uniter. While that team was incredibly talented and had a hall of fame coach, it was the team, us against the world mentality that set it apart. We would be extremely fortunate to capture that kind of special sauce again for this team. Here’s to hoping!!!

Pg Thomas/ webster / JJ3
Sg Keylan/ Webster
Sf Jalen / Nowell
Pf Cottrell / Rodriguez
C Kalib / Diongue

I have not seen Hicks or Whaley play so I don't know what to expect out of them. I don't expect to see Jones on the floor.
I think JJ3 transfers

I think JJ3 transfers
I think he'll directly back up Dedan. Webster will be our 3pt assassin and emergency back up at point. If he's smart he'll use this year to learn the finer points of being a floor general and then if necessary transfer out. He can learn with far less pressure than if he were to transfer out and be dumped into a position of starting at point and basically winging it.

I think he'll directly back up Dedan. Webster will be our 3pt assassin and emergency back up at point. If he's smart he'll use this year to learn the finer points of being a floor general and then if necessary transfer out. He can learn with far less pressure than if he were to transfer out and be dumped into a position of starting at point and basically winging it.
I agree with this to the fullest. He will have more opportunity to contribute this season if he stayed instead of transferring. Transfer and he has to learn a whole new system.

Plus, winning cures all. We will win this year and he can stay and improve his stock and then leave if needed. But win and he will get more visibility.

He was brought in to score since we were missing that dearly last year. Not a huge need anymore. I think if he enters the season with thr mindset that he needs to play point and distribute he will embrace that role a bit more

Listening to DJT interview this morning. He seemed very unsure if he would come in the '23 or the '24 year. Said he would decide something this summer and it would depend on if he though his body was ready and if his coursework could be completed.

Listening to DJT interview this morning. He seemed very unsure if he would come in the '23 or the '24 year. Said he would decide something this summer and it would depend on if he though his body was ready and if his coursework could be completed.
Funnily enough, I think the academic part is easier.

We are asking a young kid to skip his senior year and be the floor general. Not saying he can’t do it. But man, that is tough, and the fans that we do have remaining have been whipped into a frenzy over him. He’s walking into a tough spot. I know “he only has to be stable, maintain …” etc, etc, etc … is the mantra. But fans tend to expect something closer to the high extreme than the median when the ball starts bouncing.

We are asking a young kid to skip his senior year and be the floor general. Not saying he can’t do it. But man, that is tough, and the fans that we do have remaining have been whipped into a frenzy over him. He’s walking into a tough spot. I know “he only has to be stable, maintain …” etc, etc, etc … is the mantra. But fans tend to expect something closer to the high extreme than the median when the ball starts bouncing.
I agree. DJ is talented. But he is still a freshmen and not D Rose.

Definitely if he doesn't feel ready or just wants to finish his senior year with all his friends, whatever the reason he should not reclassify. It's his life. I hope he isn't pressured into doing something he doesn't want to do but I'm sure his dad will steer him right.

Definitely if he doesn't feel ready or just wants to finish his senior year with all his friends, whatever the reason he should not reclassify. It's his life. I hope he isn't pressured into doing something he doesn't want to do but I'm sure his dad will steer him right.
He should do what he wants but Kruger should put the full court press on him to come this year. if not it could cost him his job.

He should do what he wants but Kruger should put the full court press on him to come this year. if not it could cost him his job.
I don’t think he has a ton of wiggle room. We finally got some NIL to attract higher talent and size and depth. It is kinda now or never in my mind. Not final four or anything like that, but we SHOULD have enough in place to elevate the program and hopefully it’s an at large. If not, you lose 26 guys, hold onto a couple, go back to the NIL coffers, ask for more even though it didn’t produce as hoped/expected, it may fall on deaf ears.

So yeah, I could see the push to get him this year instead of holding an ace up the sleeve and hoping it’s enough to save your job if you fall short.

When you listen to the interview he seems on the fence. But he clearly says he won't make a decision till summer. That really leaves KK hanging. Who would start the point?

Reactions: Rebelhustle
100%. LJ was uber talented and could have forced himself as the alpha male on that team but instead he came in and played his “role” and put the team above himself (and yet he still dominated). Unselfish and a uniter. While that team was incredibly talented and had a hall of fame coach, it was the team, us against the world mentality that set it apart. We would be extremely fortunate to capture that kind of special sauce again for this team. Here’s to hoping!!!
I saw Lakers Jerry West called Larry Johnson the best basketball player he have seen in college basketball. That was before he stepped on UNLV campus. He stayed for two years. LJ deserves something greater than just a jersey on the rafter.

I saw Lakers Jerry West called Larry Johnson the best basketball player he have seen in college basketball. That was before he stepped on UNLV campus. He stayed for two years. LJ deserves something greater than just a jersey on the rafter.
Imagine this, I was in high school walk into a small gym in UNLV for my work out and the Rebels was there. One of the guard threw ball way behind LJ for an oops, the crazy thing was he was able to grab it behind him and slam it. I knew we have a national team then. When they lose a game here and there in 89-90 season, I was shocked beyond words. I was talking to a few Rebs, they were confident no matter what games to games result were because of the chemistry....didnt understand it time but know it now. The rest are histories...
Coach Tark did not leave UNLV an empty cupboard. JR Rider, Evric Gray, Elmore Spencer., Melvin Love..top 15 team

Imagine this, I was in high school walk into a small gym in UNLV for my work out and the Rebels was there. One of the guard threw ball way behind LJ for an oops, the crazy thing was he was able to grab it behind him and slam it. I knew we have a national team then. When they lose a game here and there in 89-90 season, I was shocked beyond words. I was talking to a few Rebs, they were confident no matter what games to games result were because of the chemistry....didnt understand it time but know it now. The rest are histories...
Coach Tark did not leave UNLV an empty cupboard. JR Rider, Evric Gray, Elmore Spencer., Melvin Love..top 15 team
Tark left them with a top team, for sure. Tark left them with a better team than we’ve seen since any team after Tark.

They weren’t well coached, but they were a top team. And the first top 25 team NOT to make the NCAA’s at the time. I’m actually surprised so many stayed, but transferring back then was more of a pain.

CKK isnt going anywhere, even if DJ doesnt reclassify. There is too much going on in 2024 for that to happen. If somehow that does happen, the decision makers will be out the door too

CKK isnt going anywhere, even if DJ doesnt reclassify. There is too much going on in 2024 for that to happen. If somehow that does happen, the decision makers will be out the door too
The real decision makers are typically the boosters and they aren’t high level, would be small fish in the pond at major schools, but they have had the most pull in the past. And the most influential among them are very petty and knee jerk.

Unless Harp intends on being the final and only word, which would be the first time for an AD at UNLV because of the influence of these boosters, I’d say the situation is never stable.

Actually, I think it would be much easier for him if he did reclassify vs not from a basketball standpoint.

Sure another year of ball could make him better, but next year he would be on a team chalked full of 5+ year seniors that can do a lot of heavy lifting. '24 we will likely have a much younger team with the bigger emphasis on HS players it seems.

I think the extra year of HS ball wouldn't help as much as walking in to a team full of proven, experienced players.

on the radio show he said one main reason he picked unlv is because the other positions are set up to win and they just need a point guard. then he said he hasn't decided yet about reclassifying, which doesn't really make sense. sounds like reclassification is the plan, but they don't want to say it officially until they're 100% sure

on the radio show he said one main reason he picked unlv is because the other positions are set up to win and they just need a point guard. then he said he hasn't decided yet about reclassifying, which doesn't really make sense. sounds like reclassification is the plan, but they don't want to say it officially until they're 100% sure
Could be. I just took it as a very young man totally prepared for basketball and not as well prepared for interviews. Very few young people are ready to ace a radio interview.

Reactions: Rebelhustle
The interview with Dedan Sr. sure sounded like they were reclassifying. Also mentioned the impact of this year's incoming transfer class on his decision.

He also said that reclassifying was going to more of a FAMILY decision, vs picking the school which was solely Jr's decision.

Dedan Sr. said they would think about it, then went to talk about how much better it would be if he reclassified.

I'm guessing if they don't do it would be due to academically qualifying. If he did have to sit a semester that would be rough, especially if we wouldn't be able to practice.

And he does have some pressure coming his way stepping in as a Freshman to start. It will be an adjustment to college ball, but with his talent and 5th year seniors helping him out I'm hoping he gets rolling soon.

He will be reclassifying unless theres a last minute snag. Its been circulating that he was going to reclass for over a year and I'm sure his family has prepared for this.

Their family moves very meticulously and keeps things close to the vest, as they should. It makes even more sense because we are throwing a lot of expectations on this team and DJ and I am one of the people that are doing this as well.

A 17yo going into college is a major step in their life. Then add needing to accelerate the educational aspect to wrap up high school a year early and then take up a full course load in college is a giant responsibility. Now add going into D1 basketball at the same time along with being slated as the starting floor general for a D1 team and being expected to do what hasn’t been done in over a decade isn’t as easy as some would make it seem. This should be about what is best for him. Family decision

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT