ADVERTISEMENT

NET

WarthogRebel

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
I get a sense that some board posters don't understand how NET rankings are derived. NET rankings play a major role in a team’s resume with the quadrant system, such as Quadrant 1 and Quadrant 2 wins.

This is where the quality of wins and losses are organized based on game location and the opponent’s NET ranking.

• Quadrant 1: Home 1-30, Neutral 1-50, Away 1-75
  • Quadrant 2: Home 31-75, Neutral 51-100, Away 76-135
  • Quadrant 3: Home 76-160, Neutral 101-200, Away 135-240
  • Quadrant 4: Home 161-353, Neutral 201-353, Away 241-353
For example, if Duke beat North Carolina on the road and North Carolina had a 74 NET ranking, Duke would be credited with a Quadrant 1 win. If Duke lost to Boston College at home and Boston College had a NET ranking of 77, Duke would then have a Quadrant 3 loss.

Quadrant 1 and 2 wins ( especially Quadrant 1) will be very important come selection Sunday while a bunch of Quadrant 3 and 4 losses could be bad news for any teams on the bubble.

I hear the occasional poster say Utah State ( or some other program) hasn't played anyone. But they have a higher percentage of wins against upper tier teams than we do. ( Hence their high NET ranking)

But all isn't lost due to our crappy OOC schedule. Most of our conference is in the top 135 and half the conference is in the top 75. That gives us a chance to rack up NET points with wins against these teams. Especially important are holding serve at home, away wins against the top half of the conference and not losing to our conference bottom feeders. We can stand an away loss to a top 4 conference team but a loss to Air Force at home could be devastating come March.

Overall I think we are in really good shape for a chance at the Dance.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News