ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead at MWCT

Rosegreen1

All American
Dec 2, 2023
If UNLV is locked into say 2-3 seed before the Nevada-Reno game do we rest guys like DThomas, Whaley?

I am sure other guys are banged up and could be a good idea to rest guys and get fresh legs before the chase begins in the tournament.

On the other hand it is Reno.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I dont see how thats a possibility...
Wed have to win out, including beating a rested SDSU, Hope Boise goes 0-3 (but actually we need them to win a game or 2) and then UNR we still might end up t-3 and that could put us at 4th or 5th... and no, Im not a fan of resting guys, treat every game like its survive and advance at this point.

I dont see how thats a possibility...
Wed have to win out, including beating a rested SDSU, Hope Boise goes 0-3 (but actually we need them to win a game or 2) and then UNR we still might end up t-3 and that could put us at 4th or 5th... and no, Im not a fan of resting guys, treat every game like its survive and advance at this point.
If BSU loses a single game, and UNLV goes 3-0, UNLV would be in front of them due to their loss at home to UNLV.

If you are in an absolute lock position to where the at UNR game result has zero impact on seedings, I think you absolutely buy time for whoever may need it. The goal is to continue on down the season road, you do whatever it takes to get there. If we went 8/9 deep and injuries/tired legs are no issue, go for it, kick their ass. But that’s not us.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
If you are in an absolute lock position to where the at UNR game result has zero impact on seedings, I think you absolutely buy time for whoever may need it. The goal is to continue on down the season road, you do whatever it takes to get there. If we went 8/9 deep and injuries/tired legs are no issue, go for it, kick their ass. But that’s not us.
I think there is still something to play for.

It may be a long shot, but I think you still need to hold out hope for a potential at large, which then converts to a NIT berth. UNR will be another quad 1 opportunity and those mean something.

If we lose against SJSU and SDSU and our seed is locked, then yes, I can see resting some players.

I think all of this is moot. The league race is so close, its hard to fathom a situation where that game would have zero impact in seeding.

If UNLV is locked into say 2-3 seed before the Nevada-Reno game do we rest guys like DThomas, Whaley?

I am sure other guys are banged up and could be a good idea to rest guys and get fresh legs before the chase begins in the tournament.

No - Silly question -

You're thinking too much into it -

If we get up by 20 points - than yes you rest the starters

Reactions: dcut03

At this point, I would be telling the guys to throttle SJSU early and often if they want rest. If they want more rest, finish top 5 to avoid an unnecessary play-in game. It's all psychology. Rest is there, but it must be earned.

Nevada is another opportunity to get a nice quad 1 win and our in-state rival. Plus, Alford is a tool. We can't get swept. Despite what our NET ranking is, don't discount the fact that we will still get a long, hard look from the selection committee if we end up 8-4 or 8-5 against Quad 1 and are 12-3 or 13-3 in our last 15-16 games in a league getting 5 teams in. Recent performance is heavily considered.

Despite what our NET ranking is, don't discount the fact that we will still get a long, hard look from the selection committee if we end up 8-4 or 8-5 against Quad 1 and are 12-3 or 13-3 in our last 15-16 games in a league getting 5 teams in. Recent performance is heavily considered.
This is where the Kruger name definitely doesn’t hurt.

Reminder, MWCT games will be counted as home games for UNLV when considering at large births. So that hurts the Rebs in the magical equation the selection committee uses. This is new this year. I don’t think they have a shot at the tourney unless they win the MWCT.

Reminder, MWCT games will be counted as home games for UNLV when considering at large births. So that hurts the Rebs in the magical equation the selection committee uses. This is new this year. I don’t think they have a shot at the tourney unless they win the MWCT.
Good point. Only top 30 would be quad 1.
Very possible to notch yet another quad 1 win without winning the whole thing. I still think we could have a decent enough resume, but yes it will be tough.
This is why the whole "Lets wait until UNLV is relevant to move the tournament" argument is stupid. Because, Holy shit, it could matter as early as this season.
I'm not sure, but it may count as a home game anywhere in Las Vegas. Our loss to LMU counted as a home game during the rodeo, which made it a Quad 4 loss. Also hurt us.
I do think the MWCT should be in Vegas. If it is a home game regardless, then we are just going to get screwed I guess.
But I do think we might need to fully re-evaluate how we handle the rodeo. Probably should minimize or eliminate the Vegas games away from the T&M. Lower 200 level games on the road are good here, like Pepperdine this season. Becomes a quad 3. Focus on neutral site tournaments that fall in this window (hard to do, I know). Keep the schedule light during this time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT