After a tough loss like last night

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
This may sound stupid.

First off, we are better than Fresno. You could see that with ease. We gave them the breaks they needed. Fresno didn't force any of those critical turnovers that turned the game around. They were lifeless until those happened. Those were on UNLV, they weren't great plays by Fresno. So the players have to own it. We won a couple of close ones this season too, this one just didn't go our way.

But under Hauck, under Sanchez, under Arroyo, ten years basically ... whether we won or lost ... even in the wins .... they felt like very incomplete and tattered wins for the most part. Not saying all wins were flukes, but it felt like there was no substance, zero staying power. It was a couple of good key players, like a Lex or Charles .... and you just crossed your fingers that the rest of the team would play "decent" so you'd "have a shot" at "stealing" a win. Even when we did, it's not like it inspired confidence. They were teams with so many holes at so many positions, the teams were really loose with fundamentals and poise. Basically, you crossed your fingers and hoped every game and usually it didn't work out as you wanted.

Alot of these guys aren't Odom's - yet they play smoother, more confidence, more poise, more discipline, better fundamentals. Hell, just look at some of the open field tackling we've seen. The defense isn't always the greatest, there are some holes - but on many plays, we are blistering them without any YAC instead of doing the ole thing that allows 6 or 7 more yards. That's not personnel, that's philosophy, that's a mindset, that's an accountability and expectation - that is COACHING. Listen, Maiava had a couple of mistakes, so did alot of other guys. But on that last drive, again - the team wasn't at all panicked as they moved down the field. There wasn't alot of time left on the clock but enough for us to do what we needed to do. That's one thing I really like about this team - they seem really focused. Game to game. Almost quarter to quarter. Again, that's coaching, that's spring ball and summer prep.

I see so many fans say "the future is bright" for football and basketball when we sign a couple of three star players or win a game we weren't supposed to win. The wishy washy type that just can't see some very obvious truths. They'll throw out the phrase and I tell myself - they must be just spouting off mindlessly because sucking hurts too much and they just don't want to face it. It's largely pure BS by blind or easily satisfied fans. Since the advent of the internet, I don't know how many times I actually felt that - a couple of seasons with basketball ... I don't think I've had that feeling with football outside of JRob 2000 heading into 2001 with JT at QB after his good season - and even though I felt it, it wasn't an overwhelming feeling. But I did feel it. It's happened a couple of times in basketball during those years, but haven't felt that in near a decade. Not that my confidence dictates how they will perform (see 2001 football), but it does make you more vested as a fan. It keeps your interest in the off-season. It builds anticipation.

I know, we lost a tough one last night. No, I'm not looking forward to next season ... but I will as soon as this season ends. I really feel with what Odom has and whatever he ends up bringing in ... we will lose some commits, we will gain some others ... and it matters ... but I think if he can get a group of Arroyo kids buying in, that's a huge part of the battle, he will be able to do that with whatever recruits he brings in.

So as long as we have Odom, yeah, I do think the future is bright. Brighter than any time since JRob and I have even more confidence in Odom than JRob.

I really liked the idea of Odom and then to hire him, now seeing what he brings to the table is pretty interesting. There finally be the aspect of player development in the football program that has at the very least missing or may have never been there but now we may be able to bring in lesser star players an make them better. This seems like a fact of life for us because another thread is talking about losing high ranking commits to other schools. If we can’t keep them playing our best football in years then we will have to find another way to be good and that comes from developing players and if we are able to do that loyalty to the staff that develops them could help overcome recruiting flips from 3 and 4 stars!

Reactions: 220reb
I really liked the idea of Odom and then to hire him, now seeing what he brings to the table is pretty interesting. There finally be the aspect of player development in the football program that has at the very least missing or may have never been there but now we may be able to bring in lesser star players an make them better. This seems like a fact of life for us because another thread is talking about losing high ranking commits to other schools. If we can’t keep them playing our best football in years then we will have to find another way to be good and that comes from developing players and if we are able to do that loyalty to the staff that develops them could help overcome recruiting flips from 3 and 4 stars!
It makes me happy on one hand … I think he’s doing a great job and will continue. It pisses me off on the other hand - shows you how simple minded and incompetent UNLV AD’s have been and how many decades were just wasted.

When people are in a position solely to collect a paycheck … it’s not going to end up good.

This likely buys a little more time with Odom as I think there would have been many more schools knocking on the door if he were to finish 10-2. Regardless of when/if that happens, I do agree that we do seem to have a coach that get us playing consistently well. Consistency will depend on how he navigates the revolving door of players (especially in the transfer era) and coaches. I am especially curious to see what he would do with the OC position if Marion gets a job elsewhere considering the uniqueness of the offense.

Reactions: RebelSoldat
This likely buys a little more time with Odom as I think there would have been many more schools knocking on the door if he were to finish 10-2. Regardless of when/if that happens, I do agree that we do seem to have a coach that get us playing consistently well. Consistency will depend on how he navigates the revolving door of players (especially in the transfer era) and coaches. I am especially curious to see what he would do with the OC position if Marion gets a job elsewhere considering the uniqueness of the offense.
I really hope both stay.

We have plenty of work to do. We play New Mexico next week and I am expecting BIG things on both sides of the ball. Last night we learned some valuable lessons. I am sure we will have very lively practices this week. We'll be looking nice at 7-2 . Maybe we needed a little Adversity.

Reactions: reagan21 and unlove
NIL, the transfer portal and develope those 2and 3 stars it can be a winning mix for UNLV!

It really did suck that UNLV lost. No doubt UNLV was the better team, just had a few too many mistakes in the second half. Just imagine how good the QB will be next year! After watching a game that UNLV should have won, I have no doubt if that was at a neutral site or at home, UNLV would have won easily!

I personally believe UNLV has a good shot at finishing 3-1 based on the fact that only other team left to play is as good or better than FSU and that would be Air Force.

Ultimately I was waiting for the Rebels to get exposed for being a rag tag makeshift D1 football team - sooner or later it happens - don't get your hopes up too much, this is after all Rebel Football. lets be realistic. That's been my mindset so far this year

Now something is building my confidence in this team - I have let my guard down a little - Must be the coaching - I expected us to lose big - but we look like we are for real. Even though we lost I am tuned in to the rest of this season, this is fun.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Michigan manhandled us, as they have everyone. No surprise there.

In the other seven games, I don’t think the Rebels have played a complete game. But they’ve been shorter spurts of ineffectiveness in those games, I wouldn’t say they were “bad” in those stretches, aside from the 3Q vs Fresno. They just were stretches where we weren’t strong, didn’t get a lot done.

Outside of those short stretches of less than great football in those seven games, they’ve clicked - they’ve looked smooth, even in drives that didn’t result in scores. There’s purpose, good focus … in short, they look like a legitimate top 50 type of team. It’s not the Rebel football we’ve become accustomed to … it looks real, feels real, it’s easy to watch.

Previously, almost every drive you had to cross fingers and hope for a broken play fluke to accomplish something positive. That’s just not the case. You feel like you can get 3 or 7 every drive … and you feel like you can slow the other offense down enough …

It’s like a twilight zone.

Funny thing, we were playing conservative against Michigan. Doug had few good connections with Jacob, but the run game wasn't moving great, we were still out 2 starting OL I think at that time. The offense itself was a small glimpse of what we ended up doing. Same thing with the aggressiveness of our defensive calls.

If we played them now, we probably fair better. We wouldn't win of course, but we would definitely do better.

Funny thing, we were playing conservative against Michigan. Doug had few good connections with Jacob, but the run game wasn't moving great, we were still out 2 starting OL I think at that time. The offense itself was a small glimpse of what we ended up doing. Same thing with the aggressiveness of our defensive calls.

If we played them now, we probably fair better. We wouldn't win of course, but we would definitely do better.
I feel good about our team and being competitive in conference. But, I don't see us faring any better against Michigan if we were to play again. It would likely be worse.

They took it very easy on us (pretty vanilla and let off the gas early in the 2nd half). They've also improved as the season went on.

I feel good about our team and being competitive in conference. But, I don't see us faring any better against Michigan if we were to play again. It would likely be worse.

They took it very easy on us (pretty vanilla and let off the gas early in the 2nd half). They've also improved as the season went on.
They were 50/50 run to pass, they were allowing their QBs to go on designed runs. They opened up their play book quite a bit, much more than we did.

I'm sure they have improved too, but I think we have likely improved a bit more in relative terms.

I don't think we do worse if we played again, that's for sure.

FSU is a fringe top 30 team and UNLV outplayed them for 3 quarters. The third quarter letdown was enough for FSU to win at home, but if the game was at a neutral location at a home game for UNLV, I think UNLV would have easily won.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT