ADVERTISEMENT

Lobby’s top 5

I remember that and thought Kelvin was a great option - 20/20 in hindsight ?

Now....???

I know a lot about basketball - i know a lot of good coaches -

i cant for the life of me ,
tell ya who is going to be the next successful UNLV basketball coach.

Its about $$$ - Agenda - passion - its about the right fit - Kelvin is a great coach, but he may have not been the right fit here in Las Vegas. just because he has succeeded in Houston, doesn't mean he would've succeeded here. totally different dynamics

Just like Pitino - Not a good Fit - (his wife knew) HIs weakness is hookers - Vegas would've ruined his career for good. It would've been worse than Lamar Odom in Pahrump.

I do know this - the odds are stacked against whoever the next coach is - Its not a college town at all anymore and now UNLV marketing has to compete with all the other sports teams and entertainment options.

Where is the drive for UNLV basketball ?
besides us die-hards the demand does not exist from any position of power and influence

It would have to come from the top -

If UNLV was really committed to winning their marketing department would reflect some semblance of wanting to improve and draw fans

- I don't see that at all. Good luck to whoever the new coach is -
You know, it's funny. I was thinking about going over to UNLV and talking about the Marketing. I am not a "major Player " or anything but I do know that the games are not fun anymore. Of course, a lot has to do with the wins and losses , but the in game entertainment is so lackluster. What is the carrot to get the students ,fans, and kids excited. Hell where is the great halftime entertainment to get the girl friends and wives excited. It's like we are going through the motions. Let's tailgate, let's get Boonezilla's and DJ faces and a Whaley dunk off at half time. Keep up Livin' on a prayer and Queen, we are the champions. How about a shark jump ball in the beginning that co ordinated with the actual tip and add Tark to the darn shark body. Get a great mascot for the kid's to enjoy going through the stands. Have some damn fun !!!! The dress up the little kids is great but add more ! Anyway, GO REBELS !
And while you are at it check out on you tube a Grand Canyon University game and see what they do , it is unbelievable !

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Underachieving in those tournaments except one.
He’s got elite 8, sweet 16, round of 32 experience.

He’s also connected to LeBron James and his kids. It’s known that LeBron wants to retire in Las Vegas and own an NBA team/other business ventures. The idea is that Bronny and the brother could play together on unlv.

No inside info, just connecting the dots.

It’s really stupid to judge high major head coaches by NCAA Tournament appearances. They have a 45% chance of making it.

Reactions: TimothyC3
Wa
It’s really stupid to judge high major head coaches by NCAA Tournament appearances. They have a 45% chance of making it.
I agree and there is merit to this. You can go .500 in a high major conference and receive a ncaa invite. What I find very impressive about Marshall is the fact and number of times he made the tourney from the Big South (low major) and the Missouri Valley (mid-major) conferences with a Final 4 and two sweet sixteens. The last three years at WSU with Marshall as head coach he was in the AAC. (another mid-major conference).

I agree that our school is too lame and "woke" to hire the Wades and Marshalls. It doesnt help that Odom has a pretty clean record.

The whole Russell Turner "queen" incident was a big thing in the media, but UCI did not really care themselves tbh. Not as much as the rest of the world did. My "top 5" was just in response to the question of who I would contact; not who I realistically think we could get.

Harper is a great AD; I dont want to give him too much credit because our football team and Odom seemed like a perfect match. You add in an upstart and hungry Marion and a skilled player like Ricky and old connections w/ Woodard, Davis, Lester, etc and everything worked out well.

Who Harper hires as the hoops coach will be the deciding factor for me in terms of how good of an AD he is. Hes a good one rn; make a splash hire and he will be great in my eyes.

I agree that our school is too lame and "woke" to hire the Wades and Marshalls. It doesnt help that Odom has a pretty clean record.

The whole Russell Turner "queen" incident was a big thing in the media, but UCI did not really care themselves tbh. Not as much as the rest of the world did. My "top 5" was just in response to the question of who I would contact; not who I realistically think we could get.

Harper is a great AD; I dont want to give him too much credit because our football team and Odom seemed like a perfect match. You add in an upstart and hungry Marion and a skilled player like Ricky and old connections w/ Woodard, Davis, Lester, etc and everything worked out well.

Who Harper hires as the hoops coach will be the deciding factor for me in terms of how good of an AD he is. Hes a good one rn; make a splash hire and he will be great in my eyes.
It took awhile after the firing for Odom to be hired. That seems to mean Harper was going after other fish before Odom. So Harper was likely fortunate to land such a great coach. So we will see how hoops work out, but the days of having big name coaches interested in us has passed, unless we go with some old time "damaged goods" coaches that will work for cheap as they want to resurrect their careers.

The good news is talent is more evenly spread than back in the day, so a good coach can have you flying fairly quickly. Look at Utah St replacing the whole team with an unknown coach and they are pretty good.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

I can't say I'm pleased with what his Volleyball hire did to our Volleyball team this past season. Gut feeling tells me this hire isn't going to work out long term. And believe me I'm holding back a lot of other choice words I would like to use. But, in the big picture most Rebel fans can't see past football and basketball to care.

I can't say I'm pleased with what his Volleyball hire did to our Volleyball team this past season. Gut feeling tells me this hire isn't going to work out long term. And believe me I'm holding back a lot of other choice words I would like to use. But, in the big picture most Rebel fans can't see past football and basketball to care.
Luckily for Harper, ADs aren’t heavily judged off Volleyball hires

It was her first year.

Russell Turner is top five in both IMO.

I still think regardless of what his recent press relations said, you make a pass at Wright and then figure out how to pay him. Of course he's going to say he's got no interest in coaching again, he doesn't want every offer to come his way. This could be entirely different... is it a pipe dream... absolutely but so was "UNLV getting an at large" talks a few weeks ago and I'd rather dream about the perfect coaching hire than "We just need a good run in March"...

Reactions: unlove
Seems like there gonna be a huge shake-up this off-season with some major programs probably beating out for the best coaches available.

Am I crazy for thinking PC UNLV would hire Will Wade way before they’d hire Marshall.

Will Wade got in trouble for paying players, everyone does/did it but he was just dumb enough to get caught.

Marshall has allegations that would offend the UNLV woke crowd way more.

Reactions: Rebel_Luv
Am I crazy for thinking PC UNLV would hire Will Wade way before they’d hire Marshall.

Will Wade got in trouble for paying players, everyone does/did it but he was just dumb enough to get caught.

Marshall has allegations that would offend the UNLV woke crowd way more.
Hopefully your crazy like a fox.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT