ADVERTISEMENT

Lobby’s top 5

Interesting, Willy the Kid, would be "Rebel" material but good ole UNLV admin would rather eat rat poison that hire a tainted coach who "wins".

Interesting, Willy the Kid, would be "Rebel" material but good ole UNLV admin would rather eat rat poison that hire a tainted coach who "wins".
I’d love to have a polarizing coach that wins. I’d rather be despised as a school.

But I’m ok with a non-polarizing coach that wins.

Let‘s just find a coach that wins. Short of a Dave Bliss-like type, I don’t care all that much about their reputation.

Reactions: rebelzzz and Trax0r
I’d love to have a polarizing coach that wins. I’d rather be despised as a school.

Let‘s just find a coach that wins. Short of a Dave Bliss-like type, I don’t care all that much about their reputation.
Kelvin Sampson was that guy when TKM/Jessup were making the call and he was passed over. Houston took the gamble and look where they are now.

If I was a betting man, I thing the President/AD will hire a coach with actual head coaching experience at the D1 level. No more assistants getting their first shot on UNLV's dime!

Last edited:
Reactions: TimothyC3
If I was a betting man, I thing the President/AD will higher a coach with actual head coaching experience at the D1 level. No more assistants getting their first shot on UNLV's dime!
Or should you say “No more first time assistants.

Agree. Theres no way he goes out and hires an assistant coach for the position. I also dont think they look at a HC from a lower league like we did with Otz, unless they've been established there for a while and arent looking at climbing. I think we will be in the "take a chance" mode on former HCs with great resumes that need a job to get back into the game, that may be able to turn programs around but had a bad taste left in the mouth by their last stop. Its worked for some many other schools. Then in a few years when they've turned the program around and leave, we can hire another solid candidate but with a cleaner resume...

Agree. Theres no way he goes out and hires an assistant coach for the position. I also dont think they look at a HC from a lower league like we did with Otz, unless they've been established there for a while and arent looking at climbing. I think we will be in the "take a chance" mode on former HCs with great resumes that need a job to get back into the game, that may be able to turn programs around but had a bad taste left in the mouth by their last stop. Its worked for some many other schools. Then in a few years when they've turned the program around and leave, we can hire another solid candidate but with a cleaner resume...
My guess is Russell Turner.

Kelvin Sampson was that guy when TKM/Jessup were making the call and he was passed over. Houston took the gamble and look where they are now.
I remember that and thought Kelvin was a great option - 20/20 in hindsight ?

Now....???

I know a lot about basketball - i know a lot of good coaches -

i cant for the life of me ,
tell ya who is going to be the next successful UNLV basketball coach.

Its about $$$ - Agenda - passion - its about the right fit - Kelvin is a great coach, but he may have not been the right fit here in Las Vegas. just because he has succeeded in Houston, doesn't mean he would've succeeded here. totally different dynamics

Just like Pitino - Not a good Fit - (his wife knew) HIs weakness is hookers - Vegas would've ruined his career for good. It would've been worse than Lamar Odom in Pahrump.

I do know this - the odds are stacked against whoever the next coach is - Its not a college town at all anymore and now UNLV marketing has to compete with all the other sports teams and entertainment options.

Where is the drive for UNLV basketball ?
besides us die-hards the demand does not exist from any position of power and influence

It would have to come from the top -

If UNLV was really committed to winning their marketing department would reflect some semblance of wanting to improve and draw fans

- I don't see that at all. Good luck to whoever the new coach is -

Last edited:
Reactions: LVRebel2000
If UNLV wants to get serious about making a commitment to winning again in basketball, they have to make a serious run at Marshall:

"Gregg Marshall was as good as any college basketball coach this century at getting teams into the NCAA Tournament, and at pushing every March Madness button.

“Hey,” he shouted to a game official during a critical stretch of No. 15 Winthrop’s 2006 first-round NCAA Tournament game against No. 2 Tennessee in Greensboro. “People think we can win this game!”

The underdog Eagles almost pulled the upset, losing 63-61.

Marshall, a former College of Charleston assistant coach born in Greenwood, incredibly led Winthrop to seven NCAA Tournament appearances — including a 2007 upset of Notre Dame.

He did better at Wichita State: A 2011 NIT championship, seven more NCAA Tournament bids, two Sweet 16s, the 2013 Final Four."

Source:

Some interesting names to throw out.

Derek Fisher - coaching HS in LA, knows all the top recruits in the area. Lots of connections with his nba career.

Luke Walton - currently assistant coach at Cleveland Cavaliers. Like Fisher, lots of coaching connections.

Tom Crean- P5 experience, been a HC for 23 years, final four appearance, BigTen COY.

Greg Marshall - like Crean, many postseason appearances and a final four appearance.

Adrian Griffin - 30-13 in NBA, just canned.

Andy Newman - 13-6 at CSUN, beat UCLA in year one. Interesting style of basketball. Has been to multiple final fours in division II.

Andy Enfield - might get canned from USC, if so we should call.

If I was a betting man, I thing the President/AD will higher a coach with actual head coaching experience at the D1 level. No more assistants getting their first shot on UNLV's dime!

I remember that and thought Kalvin was a great option - 20/20 in hindsight ?

Now....???

I know a lot about basketball - i know a lot of good coaches -

i cant for the life of me ,
tell ya who is going to be the next successful UNLV basketball coach.

Its about $$$ - Agenda - passion - its about the right fit - Kalvin is a great coach, but he may have not been the right fit here in Las Vegas. just because he has succeeded in Houston, doesn't mean he would've succeeded here. totally different dynamics

Just like Pitino - Not a good Fit - (his wife knew) HIs weakness is hookers - Vegas would've ruined his career for good. It would've been worse than Lamar Odom in Pahrump

I do know this - the odds are stacked against whoever the next coach is - Its not a college town at all anymore and now UNLV marketing has to compete with all the other sports teams and entertainment options.

If UNLV was really committed to winning their marketing department would reflect some semblance of wanting to improve and draw fans

- I don't see that at all. Good luck to whoever the new coach is -
He got fired from Indiana for text messages not during recruitment time.

Dumb ass NCAA laws

If UNLV wants to get serious about making a commitment to winning again in basketball, they have to make a serious run at Marshall:

"Gregg Marshall was as good as any college basketball coach this century at getting teams into the NCAA Tournament, and at pushing every March Madness button.

“Hey,” he shouted to a game official during a critical stretch of No. 15 Winthrop’s 2006 first-round NCAA Tournament game against No. 2 Tennessee in Greensboro. “People think we can win this game!”

The underdog Eagles almost pulled the upset, losing 63-61.

Marshall, a former College of Charleston assistant coach born in Greenwood, incredibly led Winthrop to seven NCAA Tournament appearances — including a 2007 upset of Notre Dame.

He did better at Wichita State: A 2011 NIT championship, seven more NCAA Tournament bids, two Sweet 16s, the 2013 Final Four."

Source:

Yeah, I can see PCU taking a shot at him. Most definitely.

I don’t disagree with you at all Tim, I just think UNLV is too sissified to go that route. Had they done it 20 years ago, we’d have been great or the program would be completely dead, both of which are better than the current purgatory that some seem to enjoy.

I don’t disagree with you at all Tim, I just think UNLV is too sissified to go that route. Had they done it 20 years ago, we’d have been great or the program would be completely dead, both of which are better than the current purgatory that some seem to enjoy.
I agree with your take Joe. But I do feel Harper has a lot of goodwill right now after the hiring of Odom. A lot! Plus, Harper was hired by the current UNLV President Whitfield. Harper is his GUY and so far the decision to hire of Harper as AD has worked out very well. Harper would survive any initial reservations and would look like a genius two years later at a T&M with 16,000 plus fans in the seats. Marshall is very tough on his players in the mold of Bobby Knight. However, if he can replicate his successes at Winthrop and WSU at UNLV (I actually feel UNLV has a higher ceiling than WSU) it would be a grand slam hire. Just my opinion.

Marshall admitted he yelled at players and told a Native American player to "get his horse and ride out". He never admitted he hit anyone. For us, the only way Greg Marshal would be acceptable is if, after the accusations, he went on a tear filled, televised, struggle session led by a purple haired televangelist. He'd ask for forgiveness while butting his head on a brick wall till he was bleeding profusely. But Marshal was too much of a man for that and gave them all a big F.U.

Derek Fisher - coaching HS in LA, knows all the top recruits in the area. Lots of connections with his nba career.

Luke Walton - currently assistant coach at Cleveland Cavaliers. Like Fisher, lots of coaching connections.

Tom Crean- P5 experience, been a HC for 23 years, final four appearance, BigTen COY.

Greg Marshall - like Crean, many postseason appearances and a final four appearance.

Andy Newman - 13-6 at CSUN, beat UCLA in year one. Interesting style of basketball. Has been to multiple final fours in division II.

Fisher yea, Walton NOPE, CREAN HELL NO, Marshall i can get on board, Griffin nah, Newman maybe? Enfield i cant get on board either, Cant win at USC. Then he cant win here.

1. Jay Wright - Pipe dream unless he actually wants to coach UNLV and we can pay his asking price.
2. Greg Marshall - If he wants to get back into coaching UNLV could be a great place to do it. He could definitely win here and win big. Would UNLV hire him (assuming it had the money)? I wouldn’t call it probable but I do think there’s a great possibility than some on this board have suggested.
3. Significant drop off to a list of coaches who could do a good job but the risk of of success increases significantly.

1. Jay Wright - Pipe dream unless he actually wants to coach UNLV and we can pay his asking price.
2. Greg Marshall - If he wants to get back into coaching UNLV could be a great place to do it. He could definitely win here and win big. Would UNLV hire him (assuming it had the money)? I wouldn’t call it probable but I do think there’s a great possibility than some on this board have suggested.
3. Significant drop off to a list of coaches who could do a good job but the risk of of success increases significantly.
Marshall MIGHT be able to pull it off . I said might! We live in a woke world right now and every accusation against him would be used in recruiting and the media. What happends if more recruits come out and say more stuff. WE WOULD BE ROYALY F@@@ED. Might be too much to overcome.

Just one other comment on Marshall. He even meets the Vegas profile with a little flash and flair. From the same article:

"It was a Hall of Fame path complete with flair, style, slick suits, cockiness, consistency."

“Great coach,” current ESPN analyst Seth Greenberg once told a reporter. “Big ego.”

Marshall MIGHT be able to pull it off . I said might! We live in a woke world right now and every accusation against him would be used in recruiting and the media. What happends if more recruits come out and say more stuff. WE WOULD BE ROYALY F@@@ED. Might be too much to overcome.
As long as he stays on the good sides of Grimala, Graney, and Bischoff, he's ok in this market. Those three set the tone for the rest of the media!

Reactions: WarthogRebel
As long as he stays on the good sides of Grimala, Graney, and Bischoff, he's ok in this market. Those three set the tone for the rest of the media!
Not Grimaldi, but if Eddie sees some volatile, he will go after them just to make sparks fly and be seemingly relevant again. Don’t know who the other guy is.

Not Grimaldi, but if Eddie sees some volatile, he will go after them just to make sparks fly and be seemingly relevant again. Don’t know who the other guy is.
He is/was a media person here. He called UNLV Women's Soccer games (4-5 years ago??) until they fired him for everything negative that he says about UNLV.

Those three are the trifecta to me of who not to let in your inner circle if you are anywhere near UNLV's campus, let alone work/study there.

NIce throws - a couple curve balls - a couple change ups - maybe a couple fastballs right down the middle

definitely an interesting array & variety of pitches

Reactions: Rosegreen1

Technically it could happen to any coach. Look at Chris Beard, 16-3 at Ole Miss and their arena is now packed.

It’s definitely a high risk/reward pursuit. Probably why we could afford him in the first place. We’d be getting a 3-4 million dollar coach at a discount and we won’t be watching our Rebels pee down their legs in the final minutes anymore.

Technically it could happen to any coach. Look at Chris Beard, 16-3 at Ole Miss and their arena is now packed.

It’s definitely a high risk/reward pursuit. Probably why we could afford him in the first place. We’d be getting a 3-4 million dollar coach at a discount and we won’t be watching our Rebels pee down their legs in the final minutes anymore.
The only way we can really afford a high level coach is if he is tarnished in some way. That’s why I had no problem with a Pitino, Huggins, etc. Hey, Tark made this a program in part by giving people a second chance, a chance at redemption. It worked for us, it had some bumps along the way, but giving those second chances …. It helped forge our identity.

Grimala refuses to use the name “Rebels” in any of his articles, seriously it’s only UNLV or Scarlet and Gray. He will 100% try to stir the pot if we hire any coach who isn’t 100% clean.

Fisher yea, Walton NOPE, CREAN HELL NO, Marshall i can get on board, Griffin nah, Newman maybe? Enfield i cant get on board either, Cant win at USC. Then he cant win here.
Enfield can't win at USC? He has had them in all kinds of ncaa tourneys over the years while we have not been close to any over the same time.

Grimala refuses to use the name “Rebels” in any of his articles, seriously it’s only UNLV or Scarlet and Gray. He will 100% try to stir the pot if we hire any coach who isn’t 100% clean.
That dude is a non factor in his profession. What is he going to win a Pulitzer Prize for a slam piece on Will Wade? Like anyone would even care.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT