ADVERTISEMENT

It's happening...

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
The Grinch GIF

The Grinch is taking a visit to UNLV.

Heard Coach Kruger extended an invitation to him when he heard Grinch was thinking of entering the transfer portal. Grinch has good size, strong, and plays with a heart three sizes larger than normal.

I've never heard of anyone with that name🤷‍♂️

I don't believe I know what a 5 man is. Apologies!
Yeah you know what a 5 is….I hust hope it ain’t Boone this year! This could be a real good team with Boone at 4 and someone else longer next to him.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Yeah you know what a 5 is….I hust hope it ain’t Boone this year! This could be a real good team with Boone at 4 and someone else longer next to him.
Just out of curiosity... Why do you think Boone isnt a 5? He played as the 5 at OSU in his best years statistically outside of scoring in the Big 12 vs some good 5s. Hes large and rebounds well, plus scores most of his points around the basket. There are a lot of teams in the conference that cant match up with him and I dont think physically Hes like our other former "big" men that were lanky.

My question is why are we either too short or too light at C? We all watch the games and see other teams with guys who play in the middle that are 30-40 pounds heavier and can play well. Look at the NDSU C and his measurements how much more excited would we all be if Boone was at 4 and Kevin landed a 5 who was 6’11” 245lbs with a decent set of hands and could make FT’s at a 75% clip? I think everyone of us would be excited about next year’s team if this happened. Oh and we bring in a good PG last name Thomas, not named Smith, no offense!

Boone has played the 5 most of his career and there appears to be a lot of misinformation about his weight. He has participated in the OSU weight training program and started his sophomore year at 210 lbs and lead the Big 12 in shot blocking. Last year he started the season at 215 lbs and was no. 2 in the Big 12 in shot blocking.. I wouldn’t be surprised if the trend continues he starts next year at 220lbs plus.

Last edited:
Boone has played the 5 most of his career and there appears to be a lot of misinformation about his weight. He has participated in the OSU weight training program and started his sophomore year at 210 lbs and lead the Big 12 in shot blocking. Last year he started the season at 215 lbs and was no. 2 in the Big 12 in shot blocking.. I wouldn’t be surprised if the trend continues he starts next year at 220lbs plus.

Yeah, that goes to what I was suggesting. He moved out of being the true 5 with Cisse coming in at OSU but hes still a 5 by nature and size. Hes also probably going to be one of the best all-around 5's we've had in a long time between scoring, shot blocking and rebounding.

Yeah, that goes to what I was suggesting. He moved out of being the true 5 with Cisse coming in at OSU but hes still a 5 by nature and size. Hes also probably going to be one of the best all-around 5's we've had in a long time between scoring, shot blocking and rebounding.
Exactly. In fact I wonder where all this can’t play the 5 stuff comes from? The kid started at OSU as a sophomore at the 5, was no. 2 in the Big 12 in blocked shots, played on a ncaa tourney team that won a game in March and that OSU team was ranked as high as 11th in the AP poll that year. But he is some how deficient and/or not capable to play the 5 in the MWC and at UNLV?

Exactly. In fact I wonder where all this can’t play the 5 stuff comes from? The kid started at OSU as a sophomore at the 5, was no. 2 in the Big 12 in blocked shots, played on a ncaa tourney team that won a game in March and that OSU team was ranked as high as 11th in the AP poll that year. But he is some how deficient and/or not capable to play the 5 in the MWC and at UNLV?
I think its less "he cant play the 5" and more that he on paper looks like a stretch 4 we are used to seeing in the modern basketball game. I think some including myself would love to see a strong 245lb 7'-0" or taller center that can clog up the paint, and make easy baskets at the rim, and dish the ball back out to sharp shooting guards, but after watching some tape and looking at his stats, he will probably have a huge impact in this conference especially if we have a guy that can distribute the ball to him in good spots down low... cough cough, Dedan, cough cough

I think its less "he cant play the 5" and more that he on paper looks like a stretch 4 we are used to seeing in the modern basketball game. I think some including myself would love to see a strong 245lb 7'-0" or taller center that can clog up the paint, and make easy baskets at the rim, and dish the ball back out to sharp shooting guards, but after watching some tape and looking at his stats, he will probably have a huge impact in this conference especially if we have a guy that can distribute the ball to him in good spots down low... cough cough, Dedan, cough cough
There are about 2-3 of those centers in all of college basketball each year. None of them are coming here

There are about 2-3 of those centers in all of college basketball each year. None of them are coming here
You mean we don't have the NIL bag that Kansas did to get Dickinson? I thought we out bid them but he was afraid he couldn't handle Vegas for more than a weekend...

• Haha
Ejiofor at least has the weight behind him! He could do! Diallo is 7’0” and would definitely fit the rim protector!

Nice article. I think Boone is versatile and will play both forward and Center imo if we get Diallo the team can play big with him at center and if we want to play fast with different match ups Boone at center

Plus even if he isn't big enough as a traditional center we are tall at the other spots which should help with the rebounding as a team. So rim protection is the key need (which is less considering how many teams launch 3's much of the game) and it appears he is a good shot blocker. So I don't think not having a 6'11" big man will hurt us.

Reactions: Rebelhustle
Plus even if he isn't big enough as a traditional center we are tall at the other spots which should help with the rebounding as a team. So rim protection is the key need (which is less considering how many teams launch 3's much of the game) and it appears he is a good shot blocker. So I don't think not having a 6'11" big man will hurt us.
From what @lobbybuu posted we are try to get transfer Diallo and he is 7 footer or 6'11" so we will see what happens there

What do you mean? That was a Lon Kruger specialty right there.
Joel Anthony 6'9", Louis Amundson 6'9" were small centers more like forwards coached by Lon Kruger here at UNLV. Odartey Blankson was a small forward but he could rebound. He had heart! Those players were Lons best center/forwards early in his UNLV history, and he definitely was better at recruiting guards. Also Tark usually played power forward types at center.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT