ADVERTISEMENT

It's a done deal

Many felt Anthony Marshall wasn’t capable of running the pg. But he was and he played very well and was the most effective pg since Oscar Bellfield. So far JJ3 hasn’t been asked to run pg. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t capable. He is clearly quick and strong enough. He has the handle. Additionally, he has played pg most of his career. So I see no reason why he can’t step and give meaningful minutes at the pg spot.

Last edited:
Jackie did show improvement from the beginning of the year. He did not play much in the last game against Boise State, but a few games before that game I thought he showed some skills specially against Nevada. He had a couple of nice scoring drives when we needed somebody to score and believe or not he had a great assist to Mouka for a slam in that Nevada game. He was definetly a better defender by the end of the season. Yes it would be nice to see us get a good PG, but there is not many out there that would transfer here knowing the possibility of being a back up to Dedan. I know JJ is small but I believe he is the most capable PG on the team. That being said we definitely need Dedan to play this year. Disappointing that there is possibility he might not play. Still happy he is a Rebel wether its this year or next!

I'm late to this party but I watched some video on Diongue. It will sound like sour grapes, but I assure it is not: he didn't look all that good to be honest.

I'm okay that we didn't land him. You can't teach height, yeah, but we've had our fair share of tall guys that had no hands, no heart, no skill and were complete projects that just never materialized.

I'm late to this party but I watched some video on Diongue. It will sound like sour grapes, but I assure it is not: he didn't look all that good to be honest.

I'm okay that we didn't land him. You can't teach height, yeah, but we've had our fair share of tall guys that had no hands, no heart, no skill and were complete projects that just never materialized.
This is a fair assessment; not sour grapes at all. What I'm disappointed about is time after time, this happens to us. It's annoying lol.

I also know that no one thinks this but it just makes me look bad when I report something and it doesn't materialize, especially after it was really locked in.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
This is a fair assessment; not sour grapes at all. What I'm disappointed about is time after time, this happens to us. It's annoying lol.

I also know that no one thinks this but it just makes me look bad when I report something and it doesn't materialize, especially after it was really locked in.
Nothing bad about your info. Not your fault dionuge pulled
The plug. Thank you for following all the happenings and letting us know even if things turn its nice you give us the info👍🙏

There is a joke about Diongue pulling out there, I'll let you all come up with the set up. Lol.

Jackie did show improvement from the beginning of the year. He did not play much in the last game against Boise State, but a few games before that game I thought he showed some skills specially against Nevada. He had a couple of nice scoring drives when we needed somebody to score and believe or not he had a great assist to Mouka for a slam in that Nevada game. He was definetly a better defender by the end of the season. Yes it would be nice to see us get a good PG, but there is not many out there that would transfer here knowing the possibility of being a back up to Dedan. I know JJ is small but I believe he is the most capable PG on the team. That being said we definitely need Dedan to play this year. Disappointing that there is possibility he might not play. Still happy he is a Rebel wether its this year or next!
I think you are confused with which game he showed skills in. It was against UNR he did that.

Many felt Anthony Marshall wasn’t capable of running the pg. But he was and he played very well and was the most effective pg since Oscar Bellfield. So far JJ3 hasn’t been asked to run pg. But that doesn’t mean he isn’t capable. He is clearly quick and strong enough. He has the handle. Additionally, he has played pg most of his career. So I see no reason why he can’t step and give meaningful minutes at the pg spot.
I love Anthony Marshall but he was not great as a PG. While he mightve been an adequate replacement to Oscar after shadowing him the previous seasons, he was a SG at heart and his scoring was affected by the need for him to run the offense. That's not a dig on him- he was good in his own right... that's me saying forcing guys out of their natural positions into a role that contradicts it by nature because the roster is incomplete takes away from what makes them good... we need a primary distributor first type that can spell Dedan or split time as needed. All the other guards can help distribute in a secondary function without losing the create your own that we need from them...

Reactions: Rebelhustle
I love Anthony Marshall but he was not great as a PG. While he mightve been an adequate replacement to Oscar after shadowing him the previous seasons, he was a SG at heart and his scoring was affected by the need for him to run the offense. That's not a dig on him- he was good in his own right... that's me saying forcing guys out of their natural positions into a role that contradicts it by nature because the roster is incomplete takes away from what makes them good... we need a primary distributor first type that can spell Dedan or split time as needed. All the other guards can help distribute in a secondary function without losing the create your own that we need from them...
No body said Anthony Marshall was a GREAT point guard. Other than
Robert Smith, Mark Wade and Greg Anthony I don’t know of any UNLV point guard that would meet that standard. But he was more than capable (very good by the way) by averaging 10.4 ppg, 5.8 apg and only 2.7 to’s per game with more than 2 to 1 assists to turnover ratio on a NCAA Tournament team. AM was very effective at the pg. Further, other than the three mentioned above or maybe Dedan, KK or OB who has had a better season at the pg than AM?

Last edited:
Well Talking about JJ3, I don't think he will mind too much considering he will have a hard time seeing the floor as a wing, Not with who we brought in. His size makes him a liability, but putting him on the PG negates that some, because other than Maldanado and Sam Cassell (Sr.) you don't see PG's trying to back people down in the post.

JJ can attack off the dribble, he finally started to pass off of penetration by the end of last year. He curtailed some of his reckless score first tendencies.

There is potential there, that is all anyone is saying. He would have to work on it, and change how he plays the game. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Even as a PG, he will have opportunities to score. Hell the past 2 seasons, our primary scorers ended up being our de facto point guards considering how much they handled the ball

Just one other fact. Anthony Marshall 5.8 apg his senior year while running pg was 25th in the nation! He was more than capable.
He’s not an ideal point but he did his job well. Ant was kind of position-less. He really was a short (traditional) small forward. Shooting was mediocre, could be aggressive on the dribble and finish. But he was a really good defender. He was a great teammate. He WAS mentally tough (you know how I feel about that part of a players game).

Does make me wonder if Lon was here how Ant’s senior year would have gone? Start Goss at point as a freshman, Ant at the 2? He really wasn’t a strong 2 … Because Goss was coming here for 30+ minutes as a freshman and he really wasn’t a two …

Well Talking about JJ3, I don't think he will mind too much considering he will have a hard time seeing the floor as a wing, Not with who we brought in. His size makes him a liability, but putting him on the PG negates that some, because other than Maldanado and Sam Cassell (Sr.) you don't see PG's trying to back people down in the post.

JJ can attack off the dribble, he finally started to pass off of penetration by the end of last year. He curtailed some of his reckless score first tendencies.

There is potential there, that is all anyone is saying. He would have to work on it, and change how he plays the game. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. Even as a PG, he will have opportunities to score. Hell the past 2 seasons, our primary scorers ended up being our de facto point guards considering how much they handled the ball
He reminds me of a lesser Deville Smith as a PG.

No body said Anthony Marshall was a GREAT point guard. Other than
Robert Smith, Mark Wade and Greg Anthony I don’t know of any UNLV point guard that would meet that standard. But he was more than capable (very good by the way) by averaging 10.4 ppg, 5.8 apg and only 2.7 to’s per game with more than 2 to 1 assists to turnover ratio on a NCAA Tournament team. AM was very effective at the pg. Further, other than the three mentioned above or maybe Dedan, KK or OB who has had a better season at the pg than AM?
Dickel was not as good as the ones you mentioned, the next tier I would say, but I really enjoyed his play during his senior year. He improved so much from freshman to senior year

Reactions: GreedyGreg
Dickel was not as good as the ones you mentioned, the next tier I would say, but I really enjoyed his play during his senior year. He improved so much from freshman to senior year
Okay, awesome stats for Dickel his senior year 9 assists a game, 13 pts a game, 1.7 steals a game now that is stats you want from a PG.

Reactions: GreedyGreg
I'm an unapologetic Dickel fan, but he was incredible his senior year. Second in the nation in assists IIRC, he could (and did) put the ball on a dime, scored (his shooting got significantly better each year), didnt turn the ball over, defended well enough, and was a consummate leader.

That said, he was surrounded by some excellent talent - some of which went on to play professionally.

I'm an unapologetic Dickel fan, but he was incredible his senior year. Second in the nation in assists IIRC, he could (and did) put the ball on a dime, scored (his shooting got significantly better each year), didnt turn the ball over, defended well enough, and was a consummate leader.

That said, he was surrounded by some excellent talent - some of which went on to play professionally.
Mark was so under-appreciated. By me, as well. Wasn’t until I got a close up look, many practices - that I finally appreciated him. Took nothing for granted, as tough as you can get, made no excuses, held people accountable. He was the first in every drill and went very hard every single time. Great teammate, great leader. And most of our fans don’t realize it. I ended up appreciating the hell out of him and never thought I would. He was nails.

Mark was so under-appreciated. By me, as well. Wasn’t until I got a close up look, many practices - that I finally appreciated him. Took nothing for granted, as tough as you can get, made no excuses, held people accountable. He was the first in every drill and went very hard every single time. Great teammate, great leader. And most of our fans don’t realize it. I ended up appreciating the hell out of him and never thought I would. He was nails.
One of my greatest moments as a UNLV fan is when he helped us beat Hawaii , Utah ,Fresno St and then NM in that order i think and having UNLV fans chant MVP MVP during the run and To watch him take it all in brought chills to me. People were nasty to him and would yell out some FUS to him. it lessened as he got better. In his SR year it all but diminished. Wish Rider had his mindset.

One of my greatest moments as a UNLV fan is when he helped us beat Hawaii , Utah ,Fresno St and then NM in that order i think and having UNLV fans chant MVP MVP during the run and To watch him take it all in brought chills to me. People were nasty to him and would yell out some FUS to him. it lessened as he got better. In his SR year it all but diminished. Wish Rider had his mindset.
A lot of talented players could've benefitted with Dickel's mindset. Greedy Daniels, Marcus Banks, Anthony Bennett, Brandon McCoy...they all could've been good or great pros.

Reactions: MonsterJam
Banks’ mindset got him 8 years in the league!
I agree. He did it his own way. I think he could have done so much more if he’d been less hardheaded, more coachable. That hardheadness got him from a second rate Vegas player to becoming a great player and eventually got him to the league. He DID NOT like being overlooked and he was going to prove it. A great strength of his - but it ended up being a weakness too.

But we’d all love to have the success he had by the time he was 30. He did it his way, he made it, he provided for himself and family. Hard to knock.

The most under-appreciated player for me was Curtis Terry as a PG. Not Banks or Dickel in any way but was a solid leader when he needed to be.

I hated that he was the PG. I focused more on his flaws than on his positives. But, come end of the season and NCAA time, I was confident in his ability to lead us.

Also, still love the memory of Gondo asking him in an interview after a game about a “pass to the cheerleaders.” Curtis took it well since he knew he was being trash talked to about a very bad pass.

The most under-appreciated player for me was Curtis Terry as a PG. Not Banks or Dickel in any way but was a solid leader when he needed to be.

I hated that he was the PG. I focused more on his flaws than on his positives. But, come end of the season and NCAA time, I was confident in his ability to lead us.

Also, still love the memory of Gondo asking him in an interview after a game about a “pass to the cheerleaders.” Curtis took it well since he knew he was being trash talked to about a very bad pass.
So true! Forgot about CT.

He started has a walk on if I remember right?

For me, Curtis Terry becoming a above average point guard was the biggest surprise. He went from an wing that never really handled the ball and played okay defense to being #1 in the conference in APG, top 10 in TS%, Defensive W/S, Overal W/S, and top 15 in SPG, Offensive W/S, and posted career highs in FG%, 3PFG%, If anyone thought he was going to start the season at the 1 and average 11 ppg 5 apg and 3 rpg, then they should have told me.

AMarsh was a little surprising, but he at least was a guard who had spent some time at the one during his career and had spent a large chunk of his career being the primary defender on the ball handler.

CT drove me nuts, but absolutely loved that guy when he was a senior. Took that leadership role to another level and really was serviceable at PG. his last second shot against SDSU during that comeback is still etched into my memory.
His first 2 years I was asking myself wtf is he doing here?! His last 2 years shut me up. He wasn't the best we ever had at the point but he worked hard to make himself a very dependable and more than adequate player at a very tough position to handle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT