ADVERTISEMENT

How would you grade the recruiting class so far?

JTthe2nd

Rebel Legend
May 29, 2001
We've got 3 defensive, hard-nosed, hustle-oriented players in Parquet, Harkless and Rodriguez. A quick and capable young point guard in Johnson. And a 4-star big man coming back from injury and looking to return to the form that made him a highly recruited star player. We're short on scoring threats but heavy with defenders so you can guess what direction CKK is going with. Right now I'd give CKK and staff a B+. I know a lot of people are pining for a big but I'd rather we got that big guard Keyshawn Hall(no chance) or a high school scoring wing player.

Yeah, B sounds about right. Get one more quality big and one scorer and have DW return and I’d give it an A.

Reactions: RRebel
I’d have to see them play together.

I’ve only seen Luis Gonzalez in a 3 point shooting contest.

I’d say that the team is good enough for a top 6 finish at best right now. If we get DWill and a solid big, then maybe top 4.

That’s the only “grade” I’ll assess.
Top 6 in the country isn't much different than top 4. Either way, mark bcvegaspt down as putting us into the elite ranking for this upcoming season. You are talking nationally, right? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: bcvegaspt
Of course. Elite Eight or bust.

iu

• Haha
Reactions: bcvegaspt
I like the focus on transfers but would also like hs recruits from top 50 to 150. I am not a fan of the one and done as I generally feel it wins recruiting rankings but has minimal impact on the court. I believe unlv has brought in a lot of defenders and 10pt per game scoring types. That could work if they are all consistent and all 5 starters average 10 pt which generally does not happen. I think this class can make a big jump in my mind with two legit big men or 1 big and a legit scorer. Frankie Collins looks good in the rankings but based on his shooting percentages and miserable free throw percentage I am not sure he fits. He was a freshman but I am not sure how much those percentages improve.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Hard to grade.

Individually I like all of the pick ups.

As a collective, I do worry about perimeter scoring. JJ seems to be a scorer, Harkless should contribute some, but otherwise not much to count on. Cottrell should help but it is tough to count on bigs these days. Even I Williams comes back we may struggle to put the ball in the hoop.

AS for Bigs, I think we are good. I wouldn't turn down Udeze, but between Cottrell, Muoka, and Iwuakor and a bunch of long 3's we should be fine.

I can see us uglying games up and looking like SDSU or even Wyoming last year. As long as we win, I don't care!

Hard to grade.

Individually I like all of the pick ups.

As a collective, I do worry about perimeter scoring. JJ seems to be a scorer, Harkless should contribute some, but otherwise not much to count on. Cottrell should help but it is tough to count on bigs these days. Even I Williams comes back we may struggle to put the ball in the hoop.

AS for Bigs, I think we are good. I wouldn't turn down Udeze, but between Cottrell, Muoka, and Iwuakor and a bunch of long 3's we should be fine.

I can see us uglying games up and looking like SDSU or even Wyoming last year. As long as we win, I don't care!
At least Wyoming had 2 guys that could typically get the ball in the hoop. Also, you'd think that it our defense was that tough, we'd be able to get more turnovers, and with these guys being that athletes that they are, the TO's would lead to some easy buckets. If we can get 10+ points in easy transition buckets per game, that would help quite a bit.

Transition hoops? How many did we get last year? Not too many. Coach likes to set it up. Anyone who has played hoop knows it is way easier to score 2 vs 2 or 3 vs 3, that is the argument to push always, you do not always need number advatage to push.

Those in the know can correct me if I am wrong but from my understanding Kruger backed off of Diongue. That's one reason why he never made his visit.

Based upon CKK’s comments in the Sun today it sounds like he may not be pursuing another big unless he’s fills a need the others we have can’t.

I'd give it a solid B+ with room to become an "A" depending on the next couple of gets.

This team will be better than last year with four productive P5s coming in and given that guys are established in the system. For the first time in a while we have continuity. That adds value. Likely less painful in the next out of conference season. This situation is prime for D-Will to be a 20+ scorer. Just needs to prove durability. We will be significantly better defensively. We can be better even by comittee if needed. Boise St. didn't necessarily have an out-and-out star and they won the league and tournament. They had five players average over 9 ppg. Their leading scorer was under 15 ppg (Kijab) and I wouldn't call him a great scorer.

With the way things are now I think it's more likely than not that we win 20 games. I don't believe the conference will be as good as last year. Losing Lindsey was a bit of a sucker punch. Going to bottom-dweller Georgia with a new coach at the drop of a hat makes me think we got NILed out with coffers of overflowing football cash! Basketball-wise, he can't know on equal terms what he's walking into there compared to here. Scrapped a long-standing committment here in just a week's time? Wish him well though. Hope they can cash the checks they are writing in regards to his basketball development.

Another thing to consider when lamenting the lack of scoring punch with these P5 transfers is that the competition in the MWC should be easier than what they're used to so I would expect them to at least equal their scoring output and more likely improve significantly with decent playing time.

Didn't Hamm and Williams have similar stats at Texas and they worked out just fine. If we can see similar improvement with the new group we should be just fine
The eternal optimist

Didn't Hamm and Williams have similar stats at Texas and they worked out just fine. If we can see similar improvement with the new group we should be just fine
The eternal optimist
I hope Hamm play somewhere for $$$ this coming year. Kid is a good player and hard worker.

How I would grade this year recruiting class, on paper it is an A. Unless proven otherwise, this recruiting have improves every position except Bryce's position. That is the position of an alpha scorer. Scoring by committee doesn't seems to work in today's basketball. You need at least two go to scorers to competes.

Reactions: mrodius
Who are you going to sit for Udeze? Muoka, Cottrell? I dont think UNLV can guarantee Udeze anything with Muoka, Cottrell, Iwauko, and Rodriquez on the team already...
Battles will be fierce between Muoka and Cottrell for the centre position. And Iwauko vs Cottrell vs Rodriquez for the PF position. Luis Rodriquez will be the clear favourite for the SF position until Donovan Williams decides to come back. I am not sure if DW can beat out LRod for that position?

Battles will be fierce between Muoka and Cottrell for the centre position. And Iwauko vs Cottrell vs Rodriquez for the PF position. Luis Rodriquez will be the clear favourite for the SF position until Donovan Williams decides to come back. I am not sure if DW can beat out LRod for that position?
Less than 3 weeks ago, I thought the PG position is a competition between Keyshon Gilbert and Jordan McCabe. Then come Harkless and then finally Jackie Johnson? At the 2G, Justin Webster is probably the best suited at least from what I saw from last year. Then I watched games where Jackie Johnson goes unconscious.

So assuming if Donovan Williams come back, who are the go to for bucket? My guess is DW and Johnson...third, I think it is Webster.

Please dont forget Colorado transfer, Parquet.

So where is a new semi-impactful player like Udeze fit?

Less than 3 weeks ago, I thought the PG position is a competition between Keyshon Gilbert and Jordan McCabe. Then come Harkless and then finally Jackie Johnson? At the 2G, Justin Webster is probably the best suited at least from what I saw from last year. Then I watched games where Jackie Johnson goes unconscious.

So assuming if Donovan Williams come back, who are the go to for bucket? My guess is DW and Johnson...third, I think it is Webster.

Please dont forget Colorado transfer, Parquet.

So where is a new semi-impactful player like Udeze fit?
Udeze has great hands, tough rebounder, not 6'10. We did not have an inside game last year, i.e. Villanova type or Baylor with big, strong finishers off a penetrating point guard. This was the missing element in last year's team. Ike was showing signs and these new guys from Miss and Colorado can fill that role. Williams likes to finish inside too but his 175 lb frame is a problem. So if I was reading Kruger's mind, he wants Big East type finishers.

Udeze has great hands, tough rebounder, not 6'10. We did not have an inside game last year, i.e. Villanova type or Baylor with big, strong finishers off a penetrating point guard. This was the missing element in last year's team. Ike was showing signs and these new guys from Miss and Colorado can fill that role. Williams likes to finish inside too but his 175 lb frame is a problem. So if I was reading Kruger's mind, he wants Big East type finishers.
That's an NBA type ready player. Our best chance is to develop guys like Cottrell and Muoka further. Just develop their aggression with their God's given talents.

That's an NBA type ready player. Our best chance is to develop guys like Cottrell and Muoka further. Just develop their aggression with their God's given talents.
If Im not mistaken, both Muoka and Cottrell both have 3 years of edibilities left? Please correct me if I am wrong. Maybe not this year but maybe next year when these two fellas play together for one year, imagine that duo up front. In the backcourt you got Keyshon, Jackie Johnson (who also have 3 years)...nuff

The final eight of this years' NCAA averaged 3.4 shooters at or above 35% from three. St. Peters, Houston and Arkansas were the lowest at 3 players each at or above 35%. North Carolina was the top with 6 players at or above 35%.

We currently have two players that shot at or above 35%. Williams and Johnson. If Williams doesn't return it's just Johnson. IMO, that won't cut it.

If we want to compete against better conference teams, we absolutely need two more players that can drain a three at a decent percentage.

If Im not mistaken, both Muoka and Cottrell both have 3 years of edibilities left? Please correct me if I am wrong. Maybe not this year but maybe next year when these two fellas play together for one year, imagine that duo up front. In the backcourt you got Keyshon, Jackie Johnson (who also have 3 years)...nuff
And we all see what CKK as coach can do. We saw his chops. The dude can coach! And he can recruit more than his father can. That is my option. Man, UNLV will be OK. We will be OK.

The final eight of this years' NCAA averaged 3.4 shooters at or above 35% from three. St. Peters, Houston and Arkansas were the lowest at 3 players each at or above 35%. North Carolina was the top with 6 players at or above 35%.

We currently have two players that shot at or above 35%. Williams and Johnson. If Williams doesn't return it's just Johnson. IMO, that won't cut it.

If we want to compete against better conference teams, we absolutely need two more players that can drain a three at a decent percentage.
We agree with that. Justin Webster might reach that goal once he get more run. How cunning was he last year? He was pretty when he get the chance. Keyshon Gilbert, watch his form and his chance. I mean damn, can you see the talents?

Reactions: MonsterJam
When I mentioned God's given talents, this is what I mean:

Mental aspects is the most important: Kyrie Irvin, the skills sets to stupidity your opponents. Then follow by the measurements. Wingspan, palm size, jumping abilities, your ass size (Detroit's guards), your relation with the refs..etc

What the hell we need at UNLV is a NBA know how coach to teach everyone how to get there and behave. Agree?

Think of this as a department of counsellors to get into Med, Law schools. A department of counsellors to advise players to get into the NBA or the G league would be the first. UNLV would be the first. Harvard of the West!

Last edited:
One thing we should be careful of is predictive numbers. We say that we want better 3-point shooters. True.
With McCabe, Keshon, and Webster, to get to 37%, which equates to 55% from 2, they would need 6 more makes. Total. For the season. 6/10 of one point per game. Total.
Not exactly earth shattering. Perhaps improving is possible.
Obviously, they might have shot more threes if they were hitting. Or, hit more shots if they were taking more.
A new year is a new year. Most players get better. Not all, but most.

Just to add to the discussion last year Elijah Parquet was injured half the season. But the year before and when healthy and as a starter on a ncaa team he shot 41.8% from 3.

Good discussion.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT