ADVERTISEMENT

With how we looked vs SJSU, what is everyones predictions for the rest of the season?

lobbybuu

Retired Number
Dec 29, 2022
This was a terrible loss and l think we are in big trouble after tonight. We all know that Parquet being out really hurts, but we cant rebound, have no true PG, and have no depth. I really think CKK needs to give spot minutes to Jones, Hall, and Nowell. At least we know Jones will fight hard on the boards, maybe Hall can give us an offensive spark, and maybe Nowell will defend. Something needs to change fast. And is there an update on Cottrell?

Reactions: JTthe2nd
This was a terrible loss and l think we are in big trouble after tonight. We all know that Parquet being out really hurts, but we cant rebound, have no true PG, and have no depth. I really think CKK needs to give spot minutes to Jones, Hall, and Nowell. At least we know Jones will fight hard on the boards, maybe Hall can give us an offensive spark, and maybe Nowell will defend. Something needs to change fast. And is there an update on Cottrell?
I predict 20 wins total at the end of the season. I will be happy with a possible NIT invite after tonight.

We have to open the rotation up. With Parquet absent we have to take advantage of some of the rebounding that Norvell or Hall can present. McCabe and Johnson were too short and it was evident in close outs. This would have been a great game for Cottrell as SJSU played two bigs frequently, and would have been beneficial to have a man who could pull one of those players out of the lane. Even Karl Johnson's big body may have had some greater impact as David only had 1 rebound. I feel this game was lost on game plan first and coaching adjustments second. Harkless was gassed at the end and his shooting accuracy reflected it.

IT hard to win against teams with GOOD PG. That is our bread and butter. Not very many turnovers against not a very good team. We will get exposed against better teams with a GOOD PG. 2 major players being sidelined does not help either. We are what we are. A good team that thrives on turnovers. If we dont get those we are in trouble. Especially against good team. We do not have high quality scorers .

Reactions: NSU67
I predict 20 wins total at the end of the season. I will be happy with a possible NIT invite after tonight.
I second this except I think 21 wins. This team will lose atleast 2,3 conference games due to Parquet’s injury. The question will be can they get any back. I love the way this team plays defense but their rebounding is awful. KK need to either improve team rebounding or it’s offensive efficiency. Or it’s going be a real long conference season.

Only one problem with this analysis, Reno and New Mexico won. SJSU is a good team. They shot well at times and we did not. Loose handles cost us the game especially under the defensive boards. Miles is a good coach who has assembled a really excellent back court. Across the country teams lose by one or two points and the roof is falling in. Not so much, a lot of season to play and lack of height will kill us this year. As everyone has mentioned, where is Shane Nowell.

Reactions: RebelScrub
Same damn thing plaque Dave Rice's tenure here. These players is not motivated to play the conference games.
We just dont have the horses. Maybe it was a off game. Everyone losses to inferior opponents. I think we have some really good 3-5 guys just not any good 1-2 guys. I think NM is going to give us fits. They have a couple of good scorers. We have little inside presence. Plus a guy that can consistently score on his own. Plus our bench is not very deep. We

Reactions: MonsterJam
We will not be able to hold up against the top teams in MWC play yet once again,we will fall short. I’m so tired of hearing how the conference sucks but we can never win the regular season or the MWC tournament?! 3 games ago I thought we had a chance to shake things up but now, it looks like we will have to hope for 3 wins in the MWC tournament for the NCAA or at least 2 for NIT… same old Rebels maybe but if they collapse the next 4-5 games, it will not only be the “same old” but Kevin will start to resemble Arroyo in his track record, win early and collapse into the offseason!

Here's what I got:

SDSU -- L
@ UNM -- L
BSU -- W
@ CSU -- W
@ USU -- L
@ FSU -- W
WYO -- W
UNR -- L
@ CSU -- L
FSU - W
@ WYO -- L
@ SDSU -- L
SJSU -- W
@ BSU -- L
AFA -- W
USU -- W
@ UNR -- W

That puts us a 21-9 overall and 9-9 in conference, which should be 5th in the conference depending on tiebreakers which is at or a bit worse what I thought they'd be here.
We will need to win the MWC to dance--no surprise with our weak noncon and median MWC performance. We don't win and accept an NIT road bid where we lose in the first round.
This is also assuming that Parquet is going to be closer to the 6 weeks than the 4 weeks and we end up red shirting Cottrell

Last edited:
Here's what I got:

SDSU -- L
@ UNM -- L
BSU -- W
@ CSU -- W
@ USU -- L
@ FSU -- W
WYO -- W
UNR -- L
@ CSU -- L
FSU - W
@ WYO -- L
@ SDSU -- L
SJSU -- W
@ BSU -- L
AFA -- W
USU -- W
@ UNR -- W

That puts us a 21-9 overall and 9-8 in conference, which should be 5th in the conference depending on tiebreakers which is at or a bit worse what I thought they'd be here.
We will need to win the MWC to dance--no surprise with our weak noncon and median MWC performance. We don't win and accept an NIT road bid where we lose in the first round.
This is also assuming that Parquet is going to be closer to the 6 weeks than the 4 weeks and we end up red shirting Cottrell
How different do you think our record will be if Parquet is out 4 weeks and Cottrell comes back?

We will not be able to hold up against the top teams in MWC play yet once again,we will fall short. I’m so tired of hearing how the conference sucks but we can never win the regular season or the MWC tournament?! 3 games ago I thought we had a chance to shake things up but now, it looks like we will have to hope for 3 wins in the MWC tournament for the NCAA or at least 2 for NIT… same old Rebels maybe but if they collapse the next 4-5 games, it will not only be the “same old” but Kevin will start to resemble Arroyo in his track record, win early and collapse into the offseason!
You may have been arroyo’ed. can’t tell just yet. I wouldn’t call it win early, collapse late. More like feast on the bottom of the barrel and struggle against decent teams.

How different do you think our record will be if Parquet is out 4 weeks and Cottrell comes back?
Honestly, there are two games on there I'm not super sure about. Saturday against SDSU I think we're going to play pretty well, we have a real chance to win there. Same with UNR at home, but I feel like that's a game where Alford is going to pull out all the tricks. Say we get Parquet and Cottrell in time for UNR at home and the team stays healthy then.

So in those instances switch UNR and @ CSU to a W, and @WYO as a toss up. That puts us 23-7 and 11 and 7 which I think puts us 3rd or 4th depending on how much teams get beat up on the road.

"...it looks like we will have to hope for 3 wins in the MWC tournament for the NCAA.."

This.

Eight or nine conference wins and we'll sit at 6-7th in the league. We won't get the rebounding picture in focus. Plus the MWC refs won't allow us to play as aggressive a defense as we saw in the non-conference.

To my mind, there will be a question if KK can keep the team playing together as the losses pile up and the seniors start playing ME ball.

I agree. Unless he sees something in them that makes them unforgivable liabilities on the court(in which case, why were they recruited in the first place?) you have to entertain the thought of playing them. If Parquet and Cottrell weren't hurt then I could understand but you can't run Harkless all game without a break. Wish we would've taken advantage of the soft schedule to break the bench in more.

I agree. Unless he sees something in them that makes them unforgivable liabilities on the court(in which case, why were they recruited in the first place?) you have to entertain the thought of playing them. If Parquet and Cottrell weren't hurt then I could understand but you can't run Harkless all game without a break. Wish we would've taken advantage of the soft schedule to break the bench in more.
Couldn't agree more with you. This is the first time I've seen Harkless gassed like that. I think Gilbert needs to step up a little more and demand the rock at the end of games. I've seen him stand around too much.

In terms of Hall and Nowell getting PT, the only way they might get PT is if we are getting blown out and they come in and show out. Not the preferred way to earn minutes, but they may show something that they haven't shown in practice in a game like that. Nowell doesnt look engaged at all on the bench though; not clapping or cheering and looking uninterested during timeouts.

Same damn thing plaque Dave Rice's tenure here. These players is not motivated to play the conference games.
The MWC road has haunted UNLV teams since the Bayno days....something about it makes us weak on the road. I don't know what it is. Does the Vegas environs make people soft when they have to travel to places like Laramie or Fresno?

The MWC road has haunted UNLV teams since the Bayno days....something about it makes us weak on the road. I don't know what it is. Does the Vegas environs make people soft when they have to travel to places like Laramie or Fresno?
It’s elevation!! We played tough..just super unfortunate loss!!

We will get lucky and shots will fall. 2 maybe 3 more wins this year

No way this team sniffs 3 wins in March, NIT and definitely nit the NCAA’s!

Damn..I’m a game by game basis..

Call me Nancy negative but we lose the rest of our games..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT