ADVERTISEMENT

Future of CKK

Did you go to the SJSU game? It was obvious that they did enough to easily win and to allow a lot of the bench to play.
Point was if they play like that tonight it will be a non competitive loss (another at home). And you are conveniently not mentioning the collapse at Wyo where that game never should have gone to OT. It’s objective observations. They need to play better. Nothing personal and you guys are making it personal.

We won by 18 !!
Yes we played poorly and still won. That’s the positive. But the fact that SJSU is that bad shouldn’t make us feel great about the subpar play from the team. The whole point is they need to be much better and consistent going into the next three games. Will they rise the occasion? Will it be Creighton or LMU/Richmond/Florida St/AF level of execution?

Point was if they play like that tonight it will be a non competitive loss (another at home). And you are conveniently not mentioning the collapse at Wyo where that game never should have gone to OT. It’s objective observations. They need to play better. Nothing personal and you guys are making it personal.
I am not conveniently leaving out Wyoming, I asked if you went to the SJSU game? I didn't go to the Wyoming game, so do not have any first hand knowledge how they played at that game, so could only refer to the game that I attended.

Yes we played poorly and still won. That’s the positive. But the fact that SJSU is that bad shouldn’t make us feel great about the subpar play from the team. The whole point is they need to be much better and consistent going into the next three games. Will they rise the occasion? Will it be Creighton or LMU/Richmond/Florida St/AF level of execution?
agree

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
Ya never know dept. Gates goes to Missouri last year, they go 25-10 and to 2nd round of ncaa. Looked on as great coach. This year? 0-16 in conference.

Future of CKK is bright, wherever it will be. Hope it is here as a Rebel.
I was absolutely fuming in the OOC games + plus the AFA game. OK now. No difference either way unless UNLV get into the NCAA and win a game or two.

80% players. 20% Coach.
I like that. I liked our players that were brought in this year even though I still thought CKK sucks. How many pre-conference games did it take for CKK to start giving Whaley some good minutes. There might have been an injury to someone that finally got Whaley more burn. We need to bring in some good players next year and we are running low on Lon's OK connections. I'm a fan of this group of players. I'll just hold my breath on the coach.

I like that. I liked our players that were brought in this year even though I still thought CKK sucks. How many pre-conference games did it take for CKK to start giving Whaley some good minutes. There might have been an injury to someone that finally got Whaley more burn. We need to bring in some good players next year and we are running low on Lon's OK connections. I'm a fan of this group of players. I'll just hold my breath on the coach.
The start was awful. They weren’t ready to play. Injuries forced some moves that worked. This season could have been soooooo much different had they been ready to go at season’s tip. You don’t lose to Southern and LMU at home if you are ready …

Can’t decide to focus three months into the season. Imo, they need to re-assess the early approach/offseason …

Reactions: Meister_Rebel
The fact that the team wasn’t ready to play as the season began and dropped terrible losses is 100% on CKK. Those losses have dragged this team down the entire season when it comes to NCAA consideration. The fact that the team made defensive and offensive adjustments and turned its season around in conference play and contending for a MWC title and Trny bid is 100% on CKK. Young coach making mistakes and learning as he goes. Exactly what UNLV signed up for.

A month ago after the Air Force game, the question was when he would be gone not if, now things have completely changed.
I really hate his post-game quote about this as well. "6 weeks ago everyone wrote us off.." Gee I wonder what happened that would make us feel that way.... Almost 0 personal responsibility with that quote. You got destroyed at home by the worse team in the conference. Thats why we wrote you off. Beating SDSU is nice, having a long win streak is nice, but it could be so much better for us had your team not completely fell on their faces.

With ckk talking that then he thinking mwc championship tourney winners and ncaa berth or bust. I do think that some of those late game let downs were depth issues more so than game plan adjustments. But either way I think he has solidified one more season.. Good game plan , or no , he's got these guys playing with tenacity. Which has not been synonymous with unlv hoops around here for many years..
I really hate his post-game quote about this as well. "6 weeks ago everyone wrote us off.." Gee I wonder what happened that would make us feel that way.... Almost 0 personal responsibility with that quote. You got destroyed at home by the worse team in the conference. Thats why we wrote you off. Beating SDSU is nice, having a long win streak is nice, but it could be so much better for us had your team not completely fell on their faces.

He deserves the scrutiny of the terrible losses this season. He also deserves the praise of the impressive wins this season.

I get that the rotation has been better with the Boone brothers, but they also got killed by AFA, so there's that.

Webster's comments after the first game throwing CKK under the bus for not having them ready seemed like a dumb*** thing to say at the time. Talk about not taking responsibility! I also think that his slump this season is due to HIS lack of focus/effort. Jackie isn't UNLV level no matter how many of you hope and pray that he'll develop into a backup PG. These two, and some others on the roster, are 100% on CKK.

So, it's a mixed bag. I think that it was Bobby Bowden who said something to the effect about becoming a winning program:
First you lose badly.
Then you lose close.
Then you win close.
Then you win going away.

We seem to mix 1,2, and 3 right now, with 1 or 2 4s. Hopefully, moving forward, we get many 3s and 4s with some 2s mixed in against Q1 opponents only.

All this to say that I think he's an up-and-coming coach, worthy of an extension here.

10 games ago I was on the "fire him" bandwagon. Is it possible he has grown? CKK strikes me as a simple guy, very much like his pops. Simple guys tend to be analytic and prone to gradual adjustment. They start slow, but then you don't see them coming until they are right in front of you. Remember, CLk didn't win until the third season, very much like his son. These are system guys that tweak along the way until things work. On the downside, they are so loyal to the system, that they don't always make immediate change. It's gradual. I do believe that CKK had turned the corner. He isn't a sexy guy. He isn't flashy. He doesn't need to be if he is winning. I think you extend him if he makes the NCAA.

10 games ago I was on the "fire him" bandwagon. Is it possible he has grown? CKK strikes me as a simple guy, very much like his pops. Simple guys tend to be analytic and prone to gradual adjustment. They start slow, but then you don't see them coming until they are right in front of you. Remember, CLk didn't win until the third season, very much like his son. These are system guys that tweak along the way until things work. On the downside, they are so loyal to the system, that they don't always make immediate change. It's gradual. I do believe that CKK had turned the corner. He isn't a sexy guy. He isn't flashy. He doesn't need to be if he is winning. I think you extend him if he makes the NCAA.
I wouldn't give him a contract extension. Let him prove himself another year at the same salary. Next year will be telling if he has truly turned the corner.

Speaking of contract extensions. Dutcher just got a 5 year contract extension earning $2.3 million and in each of the next 5 years they will add $100,000 to that pay. CKK hasn't earned a contract extension imo.

I wouldn't give him a contract extension. Let him prove himself another year at the same salary. Next year will be telling if he has truly turned the corner.

Speaking of contract extensions. Dutcher just got a 5 year contract extension earning $2.3 million and in each of the next 5 years they will add $100,000 to that pay. CKK hasn't earned a contract extension imo.
Not yet, but if we make the tournament either by winning the MWCT or at large, I think he gets an extension.
NIT? I can see it go either way. Extension or not he'll be here next season.
Miss both? I think he did just enough to stay safe. but likely no extension. Lose to UNR by 30 and then lay an egg in the first round of the tourney? ugh, he could be gone. Just typing that made me sick.

Reactions: LVRebel2000

I'd look more at what his buyout is. 10.2 million dollar buyout fee. I think he's going to get calls again this year

Just curious, if UNLV loses in the mwct and doesn't make the nit does Kevin deserve another year? I am split on this. This much I will say if that happens imo noway does he deserve an extension of any kind. With another year of a big player turnover is there any reason to expect anything better next year?

Just curious, if UNLV loses in the mwct and doesn't make the nit does Kevin deserve another year? I am split on this. This much I will say if that happens imo noway does he deserve an extension of any kind. With another year of a big player turnover is there any reason to expect anything better next year?
Im also undecided on this. I mean, if it wasnt for Dedan, would we even be competitive this year? No.. But also weve seen a shift in identity that the team figured out and it creates a lot of good moments. But then theres the glaring issues of roster construction- its almost unforgiveable that we only have 5 viable players on our team, I know Hills injury was not predictable, but not having anyone that can decently spell Dedan or Keylan for any period of time is a disaster and we see it in games. did he earn another year, I guess unless you really feel youve got a great candidate lined up like Wade, you probably keep him and hope that next year the roster improves and the team gels the way the starting 5 did mid season...

Reactions: RRebel
I think you stick with him unless you can significantly upgrade, by that a mean a name coach who has had prior D1 success. I don’t care about their reputation or problems, the reason we might be able to afford is because of that.

Then next year would be a hotseat year for him. Perform (meaning NCAAT) or begone.

I’m with you on this first question!

Your second is another good question and the answer is NO!

Im also undecided on this. I mean, if it wasnt for Dedan, would we even be competitive this year? No.. But also weve seen a shift in identity that the team figured out and it creates a lot of good moments. But then theres the glaring issues of roster construction- its almost unforgiveable that we only have 5 viable players on our team, I know Hills injury was not predictable, but not having anyone that can decently spell Dedan or Keylan for any period of time is a disaster and we see it in games. did he earn another year, I guess unless you really feel youve got a great candidate lined up like Wade, you probably keep him and hope that next year the roster improves and the team gels the way the starting 5 did mid season...
Without dedan eating up 75% of the NIL money there might be a more balanced team possibly as well instead of so top heavy. Tough to say how it shakes out. As great as JR is, he don’t really get the rest of the team into the game when it matters, his assists have become non existent as of late (I also understand we can’t shoot worth a shit so that is part of the problem as well since regardless who he dumps it to, it’s like a 4% chance to go in)

I think you stick with him unless you can significantly upgrade, by that a mean a name coach who has had prior D1 success. I don’t care about their reputation or problems, the reason we might be able to afford is because of that.

Then next year would be a hotseat year for him. Perform (meaning NCAAT) or begone.
But Odom was not a big name guy, overly successful (1 good year at Mizzou) or even considered a known commodity by anyone here before he was identified and hired? I don’t think think anything will happen this year because Kevin was propped up by the winning streak, which I disagree with, and there are much better coaches/recruiters/leaders of young men than Kevin! Next year will more than likely be more of the same poor roster construction and underachieving style which will lead to the firing of a coach that should have been gone after year 2!

But Odom was not a big name guy, overly successful (1 good year at Mizzou) or even considered a known commodity by anyone here before he was identified and hired? I don’t think think anything will happen this year because Kevin was propped up by the winning streak, which I disagree with, and there are much better coaches/recruiters/leaders of young men than Kevin! Next year will more than likely be more of the same poor roster construction and underachieving style which will lead to the firing of a coach that should have been gone after year 2!
No, not big name. But football and basketball are different. And though Odom wasn’t a big name, he had substance. He had actual D1 experience and some modest success at a higher level than UNLV. Only JRob had a bigger name and only JRob had any real “success” going back 40+ years.

There would be some Odom “equivalents” in basketball I suppose, I’d have to think a bit to come up with it. I mean hell, I suppose you can say Alford to some degree. Maybe Cooley or Willard ….

I think given UNLV’s history and expectations (as opposed of what they are/were for football), any hire would have to be more name. IMO.

JT has been hampered by ankle. His elevation since the NM game has been non existent. Hicks didn't play , is he hurt too. Whaley can't jump a lick and the Boone's need a lot of help inside from Jones, Whaley, Isaiah.

No, not big name. But football and basketball are different. And though Odom wasn’t a big name, he had substance. He had actual D1 experience and some modest success at a higher level than UNLV. Only JRob had a bigger name and only JRob had any real “success” going back 40+ years.

There would be some Odom “equivalents” in basketball I suppose, I’d have to think a bit to come up with it. I mean hell, I suppose you can say Alford to some degree. Maybe Cooley or Willard ….

I think given UNLV’s history and expectations (as opposed of what they are/were for football), any hire would have to be more name. IMO.
We just need a high level assistant who can recruit fast guards who are also tall. Otherwise, Big, Big12, SEC will bury us in the dustbin of history. Not everyone wants to ride the bench. They especially don't want to ride the bench in point guard offense with no screens, big men with no offensive skills etc. I would trust our announcer Terry over KK at this point. At least his eyes are open to what is wrong.

Reactions: Rebel Hoya
We just need a high level assistant who can recruit fast guards who are also tall. Otherwise, Big, Big12, SEC will bury us in the dustbin of history. Not everyone wants to ride the bench. They especially don't want to ride the bench in point guard offense with no screens, big men with no offensive skills etc. I would trust our announcer Terry over KK at this point. At least his eyes are open to what is wrong.
I’m not crazy about the current schemes/philosophies, don’t like them. But you can win with them, just not the style I prefer which isn’t important at all.

Roster construction hasn’t been strong and that’s a concern. We duplicate one dimensional players, too many players without multiple high level skills, players out of position, not enough size, depth isn’t strong.

Without dedan eating up 75% of the NIL money there might be a more balanced team possibly as well instead of so top heavy. Tough to say how it shakes out. As great as JR is, he don’t really get the rest of the team into the game when it matters, his assists have become non existent as of late (I also understand we can’t shoot worth a shit so that is part of the problem as well since regardless who he dumps it to, it’s like a 4% chance to go in)
Hard to get many assists when nobody else can score except Ke. Boone.

Reactions: booglowry
Hard to get many assists when nobody else can score except Ke. Boone.
Now this is so true!

My concern is what if DJ doesn’t come back next year?

Warthog do think DJ comes back next season or do you think he takes the NIL bag?

Now this is so true!

My concern is what if DJ doesn’t come back next year?

Warthog do think DJ comes back next season or do you think he takes the NIL bag?
@lobbybuu and his Dad I think have both said he's here 2 years and then anything goes... unless CKK is fired. He'll be here, question is can rest of team step up around him and support his talents with defense, rebounds, and made shots

I think we take a step backwards next year. We are losing 3 starters next year. All 5th year seniors. As of now we will have more talent now than next year. Unless CKK can sign 2 impact players I expect a down year next year compared to this one. I'm concerned about how much faith NIL money and potential transfers has in CKK. If he can keep our core and with the recruits coming in next year and sign 2 better players than our current roster is the only way CKK has a shot .....long term. This is gonna be a real interesting off season.

I'm not sure why he wouldn't be able to attract similar potential guys the way he has since he got the job... NIL or no NIL there will be over a 1000 players in the portal and those spots needing filled should be pretty similar to the type he's brought in before... It guarantees nothing but at the same time, he brought in Boones/Harkless/Hill types of talents and has in theory been able to prove they're within striking distance of a "championship" and tournament run. And I expect we're looking at something like new guys plus our 3 recruits with Hill/Whaley/DTJ/Hicks staying....

I am not a fan of CKk. Neither am I a fan of the new Raiders ‘squeeze their throats’ coach. That being said I do believe UNLV football struck gold. Therefore I’m renewing my season tickets for the next football season

One thing that CKK has done pretty well is navigate the portal to find 1 year players. Every year has been better than the last.

It does seem like we will have more retention moving into next year. I think people will want to play with DJ. So more player retention and perhaps some quality transfer portal adds.

I think it is way too early to say that our talent will be worse.

I want to be firmly on the record that from what I've seen, I don't think Kevin is a long term answer here. He has a lot of his father's flaws (inflexibility, stubbornness, revulsion for most freshmen, questionable roster construction) but without a lot of the nuance and acumen Lon had. Kevin knows way more about the intricacies of basketball than 99% of us here, but what makes a good coach is being able to take that knowledge and make it come through in the players. And I don't think he's got that gift innately--he may still develop it, but it's not there yet. Too many instances of 'overlooking opponents, varied effort, disjointed offense and poor communication on defense for me to be able to buy in.

With that being said:

I think he's done enough with the last half of the season to not be fired regardless of what happens in the tournament (unless we get absolutely boat raced). It's a results-oriented industry and the team has clearly improved from the beginning of the season in enough ways for me to understand him not being fired. You certainly can't give him an extension (maybe if he goes dancing, but even then I don't know that I would).

However, I hope very much that Harper has already got his replacement lined up and it's a done deal that we're moving on to someone with a better resume than Kevin. I understand that this means we're going to have another full roster reset, but I think with the right coach that doesn't matter with the way the transfer portal works. Even if Kevin returns and he gets everyone to stay, there are still no shooters and no other ball handlers besides DTJ on the roster and you're losing your best wing defender and offensive player. If there was a roster you were going to blow up with a coaching change, next year is as good as any.

Kevin, Kevin,Kevin? Are we going to average 60 points a game from now on? Playing slow and NEVER pushing the ball?
Are we gonna play boring basketball and draw 4 thousand a game from now on? Are we gonna schedule the likes of Carrol College for our expensive non conference home games exclusively again? OR are we gonna get a Runnin Rebel coach who plays Las Vegas style exciting city basketball? Our home record under Kevin is poor. We can do so much better. He is not a Runnin Rebel type coach. Do I like Kevin? Yes. But he is not our guy. Deep underneath, we all know it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT