ADVERTISEMENT

My CSU trip

Loyal Coug1

Starter
Oct 8, 2023
Ok, the limited consensus is that I get to hang here. So my CSU trip story.

I don't travel or go to away games much. But this year, I thought well shit I need to get out. So we (me and dog) decided to road trip to WSU's season opener at CSU. I was then going to go to Austin TX and visit my son. In my pickup and camper. 1100 miles from YakiVegas - oops Yakima WA - where I currently live to Fort Collins. So off we go on Wednesday.

First day, all is well. Ended up in Dillon Montana, 500 miles away. Found out later that I took a wrong turn on the freeway and had I kept going I would have ended up in Idaho. Luckily it was getting dark and I pulled in only 15 miles in the wrong direction. I found this little park to relieve the dog, and promptly tripped over her, spraining the shit out of my ankle and losing my wallet, not realizing it. When I realized it, I went back to look for it but couldn't find it in the dark. Alcohol was becoming a factor at that point, and I was in a place I'd never been.

Chapter 2. I drive up the road a bit, and pull off the highway behind the guard rail. Kind of catty whompus parked, as in damn near tipping over. I'm sitting there with a bunch of full beers and a pile of emptys, when two deputies knocked on my window. Keys were not in the ignition and I was going nowhere that night. So they quizzed me a bit and I told them my sad story. They said they could take me in for DUI and I said my keys were not in the ignition and I didn't even know where they were (in my pocket). They said "physical control". Think my dog saved me, as in what are you going to do with my dog if you arrest me? So they let me go with my assurance that I wasn't going anywhere. Thank Gawd for Montana cops. In WA I would have been arrested and tased.

Chapter 3. So I groggily wake up the next morning, having slept in the cab. Opened the door and promptly fell out into the gravel because of my park job. Ouch. Let the dog out and she takes off into the weeds. Shit. I searched and finally found her across the interstate sitting by an overpass. WTF? Managed to collect her and get her back into the truck. Thankfully still had a couple of beers left to regain my senses. So at that point I had no money, no credit or debit card, no ID and was about out of gas. So I limped back into Dillon and tried to find this park, to no avail. Not enough gas to do a thorough search around town. Word to the wise when a Chevy truck's gas gauge sez you are empty, you are empty. Unlike my Subaru, which sez empty with a couple of gallons still in there.

Chapter 4. I didn't eat for 2 days as I couldn't buy anything cuz I had no money! And knew exactly no one within 400 miles. More importantly, no beer either. I finally got smart and cajoled a buddy back home to Western Union me $120 for gas money. Turns out that at 11 miles a gallon $120 ain't gonna do it. I'm again limping down the freeway at 55 to save gas, while everybody is blowing by me at 80. Got as far as Missoula then turned in for the night.

Chapter 5. So next day I got as far as Post Falls, ID. Out of gas, no more money. Now what? If I got to Spokane WA I could get to my bank. Saturday morning at this point. I pulled into this gas station, and this nice and fairly cute woman was gassing up. "Hello ma'am, I really hate to ask but could I steal $5 of gas?" The sweety had me pull forward and gave me $15 worth! I'm pretty persuasive cuz I'm pretty cute and at this point pathetic. Good because $5 would not have gotten me there. Got to Spokane with my only ID my truck's registration. Talked the bank (Credit Union) into giving me a withdrawal. Filled up and got back to YakiVegas. Needless to say, I did not get to the CSU game, and certainly did not get down to Texas. Truck and camper have not moved since. Still traumatized.

Postscript. Left my contact info with the city and county cops, never heard back about my wallet. Thankfully no one used my cards, and I only lost about $400 in cash. And pictures of my kids and not sure what else. I'm pretty sure I will fly the next time I go to an away game. And my damn ankle took about 3 months to quit hurting. Could barely walk for the first few weeks.

Hope you all get a chuckle out of this.

Last edited:
Wow, that's quite a trip. Imagine what a future trip to Vegas will be like!
Shit. If i don't die along the way, pretty sure Sodom - oops Vegas - will do me in. But I will fly down there. Most likely will die in a plane crash.

We used to have a regional airline up here, Cascade. We called it Crashcade. After I got a job offer coming out of college at Wazzu, Oh wait Wassu or whatever you guys call us, I flew over to Seattle for orientation. This plane had no bathroom and seated about 18. They did have beer.

So the return flight stopped in I think Yakima, Tri cities and Lewiston ID on the trip home to Pullman. Maybe Walla Walla (a real city name) too. Quite the route. They had no money so the beer was free. Of course being the Coug that I am I snarfed 3 or 4 along the way. Got to Lewiston and had to convince the pilots that I had to pee really bad, and they let me off to do so. Thank Gawd.

As we say here, it's a Coug thing. People don't understand.

One more story, since apparently I'm OK here. Back in the 80's, student seats were free and you could bring anything into the FB stadium as long as it wasn't glass. So me and a bunch of buddies toted in a 5 gallon gas can full of spodie odie. (spelling?) To this day, I can't believe they let us through. If you all don't know, It's basically punch with a shitload of liquor thrown in. This is a hot September day, and I think Arizona kicked the shit out of us. We didn't care, we passed that sucker up and down the aisle.

Well shit, by halftime, we were running dry. So me and a buddy jumped on my Yamaha 850 and zipped down to the liquor store for a half gallon of vodka.

I won't get into puking my guts out after the game. So many stories.

Edit - I'm certain that you gawd-fearing bible thumpers down in Vegas have no similar experiences to talk about. I have so many. And I will refrain from any woman stories. My board has chapped my ass endlessly about the very few stories I have related.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LVRebel2000
Shit. If i don't die along the way, pretty sure Sodom - oops Vegas - will do me in. But I will fly down there. Most likely will die in a plane crash.

We used to have a regional airline up here, Cascade. We called it Crashcade. After I got a job offer coming out of college at Wazzu, Oh wait Wassu or whatever you guys call us, I flew over to Seattle for orientation. This plane had no bathroom and seated about 18. They did have beer.

So the return flight stopped in I think Yakima, Tri cities and Lewiston ID on the trip home to Pullman. Maybe Walla Walla (a real city name) too. Quite the route. They had no money so the beer was free. Of course being the Coug that I am I snarfed 3 or 4 along the way. Got to Lewiston and had to convince the pilots that I had to pee really bad, and they let me off to do so. Thank Gawd.

One more story, since apparently I'm OK here. Back in the 80's, student seats were free and you could bring anything into the FB stadium as long as it wasn't glass. So me and a bunch of buddies toted in a 5 gallon gas can full of spodie odie. (spelling?) To this day, I can't believe they let us through. If you all don't know, It's basically punch with a shitload of liquor thrown in. This is a hot September day, and I think Arizona kicked the shit out of us. We didn't care, we passed that sucker up and down the aisle.

Well shit, by halftime, we were running dry. So me and a buddy jumped on my Yamaha 850 and zipped down to the liquor store for a half gallon of vodka.

Edit - I'm certain that you gawd-fearing bible thumpers down in Vegas have no similar experiences to talk about. I have so many. And I will refrain from any woman stories. My board has chapped my ass endlessly about the very few stories I have related.
C'mon guys. I worked hard on this post. 169 views and only 2 replies? One of them mine. I guess you Vegasites are all out gambling or getting laid by hookers. As I used to be lectured - "no glove, no love". Good advice.

• Haha
Reactions: LVRebel2000
Dude I’ll be your wingman. Vegas is full of old people and young people.

Have you smoked weed or drink alcohol. Gotta do both.

Reactions: RebelinWA

I still fear God.

This is me singing sober for the first time at church.

There was only like 10 people in the evenings.

C'mon guys. I worked hard on this post. 169 views and only 2 replies? One of them mine. I guess you Vegasites are all out gambling or getting laid by hookers. As I used to be lectured - "no glove, no love". Good advice.
We don't gamble or get laid by hookers, it is getting laid by a hooker while gambling!

BYU and the country of Israel. Standing side by side..same colors

I may recap my West VA roady one day..Here are the highlights minus context

Booze, old woman falling down stairs, a hillbilly giving another hillbilly a lecture on economics, country roads being played, hillbilly parenting tips, dumped port a potty...Almost dying in a Waffle House..

Good times..

Reactions: dcut03 and unlove
I may recap my West VA roady one day..Here are the highlights minus context

Booze, old woman falling down stairs, a hillbilly giving another hillbilly a lecture on economics, country roads being played, hillbilly parenting tips, dumped port a potty...Almost dying in a Waffle House..

Good times..
You left out speed traps and moonshine in every small town!
moonshine GIF by Chris Cornwell

Reactions: Bullmastiff 1
You left out speed traps and moonshine in every small town!
moonshine GIF by Chris Cornwell

I didn't leave it out intentionally.

I don't remember it.

The amount of alcohol I consumed that weekend..

I am both proud and ashamed of in equal measure..

That should give you an idea of how much was comsumed..

With a Whatsburger on the m way, the only things left for Vegas to get is a Zaxbys, Publix, and a Waffle House.

They’re going to have a Whataburger in Vegas??
They had one in Vegas in the 70's. Just East of Maryland Pkwy on the South side of Flamingo. It was better burgers back then compared to what they serve now imo. In Colorado we have them but, it's pretty rare today when you see a car in the drive thru. When they first opened here there were lines of cars trying to get in. We tried it and we couldn't finish it. We thought maybe it was too close to opening day so we tried it again a month later and it was worse. Honestly, I would never go back.

Last edited:
They had one in Vegas in the 70's. Just East of Maryland Pkwy on the South side of Flamingo. It was better burgers back then compared to what they serve now imo. In Colorado we have them but, it's pretty rare today when you see a car in the drive thru. When they first opened here there were lines of cars trying to get in. We tried it and we couldn't finish it. We thought maybe it was too close to opening day so we tried it again a month later and it was worse. Honestly, I would never go back.

I used to love to eat Whataburger when I’d go to Texas with UNLV Football.

Whataburger can get pretty big lines here in Houston.
In n out always has a huge line. We only have 3 stores here to be fair and 100 whataburgers.

Last edited:
Whataburger can get pretty big lines here in Houston.
In my out always has among line. We only have 3 stores here to be fair.
I have a crappy memory in general, but some things of the distant past I remember very well. I absolutely recall a Whataburger in Vegas, west side, not sure of the streets … somewhere maybe near Lorenzi park. But it could have been somewhere else, but definitely west side …

I was such a tiny kid, 5 years old at the time I believe, I can’t remember if it was any good.

People say I’m nuts for thinking we had one. I remember it pretty clearly.

Reactions: RebelinWA
I have a crappy memory in general, but some things of the distant past I remember very well. I absolutely recall a Whataburger in Vegas, west side, not sure of the streets … somewhere maybe near Lorenzi park. But it could have been somewhere else, but definitely west side …

I was such a tiny kid, 5 years old at the time I believe, I can’t remember if it was any good.

It may or may not have been a Whataburger. There was a Tommy's on Tropicana between Pecos and Eastern back in the late 80's or early nineties, but they were not a legal location. They ended up being sued by Tommy's and were forced to shut down. It is very possible the same thing happened with Whataburger.

Reactions: dcut03

Whoops I am wrong there was a Whataburger in Las Vegas all the way back into the 60's https://www.expressnews.com/business/article/whataburger-vegas-returning-18266068.php

Reactions: reb4l
It may or may not have been a Whataburger. There was a Tommy's on Tropicana between Pecos and Eastern back in the late 80's or early nineties, but they were not a legal location. They ended up being sued by Tommy's and were forced to shut down. It is very possible the same thing happened with Whataburger.
My dad loved that Tommy's. It's really close to our house. I was too young to appreciate their greasy-ass burgers ( still in McDonald's mode) when it was still around.
But my memory of those burgers really makes me want one now!

My dad loved that Tommy's. It's really close to our house. I was too young to appreciate their greasy-ass burgers ( still in McDonald's mode) when it was still around.
But my memory of those burgers really makes me want one now!
There is a real Tommy's at Nellis and Boulder Highway near the super Walmart.

There is a Tommy's, at St. Rose Pkwy and Eastern.
They have, a drive thru.
I always, get the Double Chili Cheeseburger.

It’s attached to my hospital parking lot. I never see people there and I don’t eat where people don’t eat, I’m always worried about product turnover.

Is it any good?
If you like, Chili. Then, you will love it Joe.
The chili, tastes different than other fast food places.
Different, in a good way.
You, should try it.

Reactions: RebelScrub

You are correct we absolutely had one in fact I thought two? They had one somewhere around Trop & Polaris.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT