ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News --- Rice has been fired

nailed it. coach rice has learned a lot in his time at unlv. but he didnt learn it at the right time. dude is still on the fly. but after 4+ years, he is still coaching on the fly. i think he had a plan, but i also think he played himself with that plan. it its really time to move on now. the way his team has regressed into a team the fans dont even want to watch, it is officially time to call it over. he has lost this team. the team really lost themselves. and he has proven he cannot bring them back. sucks, but it is time to move on. the program cannot be allowed to be held hostage, it is time to accept that we are a low mid major again. if the admin gets it right, hopefully we have something to work with next year.
on top of that, this has been fundamentally poor ball from a 5 year head coach. id like to blame the players, but that is trash. jordan cornish wouldnt be yelling over grandmama. rice has a grip, but it is a weak grip that has cost him his job. there can be no way he stays after the end of the season. we will keep getting hit with hard work during practice, rice's teams count for nothing when it matters. thats on him. also. free throw excuses are out the door when you open the game 23-5. its just a team of dudes that dont care outside of mccaw and carter. everynight seagears watches his sportscenter highlights burst into flames. they forget there are bottom 10's too and they are living up to that.

Honestly that kinda stuff happens in ever huddle players trying trying to pump one another up while coach is talking. The problem is when Rice just sits there and stops talking he needed to continue saying what he was saying and say something along the lines of Jordans right 3 more stops. Be apart and be a leader, Jordan wasn't doing it out of disrespect or trying to talk over coach he was just pumped up and trying to pump his teammates up.

It's just got to that point when you lose the support of the community it's time to move on.

Reactions: UNLVAlumni
Honestly that kinda stuff happens in ever huddle players trying trying to pump one another up while coach is talking. The problem is when Rice just sits there and stops talking he needed to continue saying what he was saying and say something along the lines of Jordans right 3 more stops. Be apart and be a leader, Jordan wasn't doing it out of disrespect or trying to talk over coach he was just pumped up and trying to pump his teammates up.

It's just got to that point when you lose the support of the community it's time to move on.
i fully agree. but that dude has become a non factor, so throw him a towel and let him cheer on. and rice should have pushed on. i only saw the video tonight for the first time and i think it really did sell the whole story. poor guy isnt a grocery store manager at this point. i love the man and i wanted him to accomplish all that kruger couldnt. he is a doormat to his players. i love coach. but he has proven himself nothing more than an aau handler at this point. i am tired of putting on a game just because i dont care any more. from what i can tell, i care more than these players, and i have no athletic ability at all. id still show up ready to learn, and to play. this team cannot show up to play. dave finally got his team, and this is the best he could get from them.

from a personal standpoint, i was living in the colorado front range for a period. (i was born and raised in vegas). i made sure to watch every game i could. my most vivid memory was watching rick majerus throw his clipboard in the air out of frustration, only to have it come back down on his head and cut him open, all for no reason. i say this cause i have run out of steam. i want to watch this team, i DO believe this is the most talented team unlv has seen in years. but the offering is the worst i have seen in that time. these players dont care. i ask myself, why should i? cause it is my hometown. that is all i have. i try to be objective in a loss. but at this point, i cannot watch this team play anymore. i have better things to do. (i actually have NOTHING better to do) but i wont sit around and watch a team play like this. this brand of basketball is painful. i used to love the tournament, now i just wait for it end. there is a lot to be learned in this squad. even with senior transfers, they werent ready.

I supported him 100% to get the job and expressed that to the school. I still feel that Reggie's comments about his desire to coach in the NBA at the time ruled him out for me. I wanted someone completely committed to UNLV for the long term and Dave was that guy.

Of course not. There are some that are just evil with their comments and those I don't understand.

You really don't understand the disdain? Dave rice made millions off of being mediocre coach for unlv. He was even a failure and weaseled his way into a contract extension and raise somehow while missing the tournament.

But it's ok to call Kendal smith a punk? Good ole rebelnet.

Having disdain for someone because they make more money than you think they're worth is sad.

If you think he was overpaid or should have been fired last year then a better use of your disdain would be to blame TKM. She payed hm.

Dave tried to leverage and maximize his earnings, like most humans would. But hate on about his money I suppose if it makes you feel better.

Last edited:
I think the geniuses over at ESPN 1100 are going to be sad. Last year, when there were rumors of Rice being fired after the tournament, they said it was like letting Coach K go before he became who he was. We have a Coach K and were in danger of letting him escape.

I think the geniuses over at ESPN 1100 are going to be sad. Last year, when there were rumors of Rice being fired after the tournament, they said it was like letting Coach K go before he became who he was. We have a Coach K and were in danger of letting him escape.

Who said that? Did someone really make that comparison?

Seems a little too ridiculous to believe. Kinda doubt it.

Aaron Rodgers makes more money than me and I have no disdain for him. Dave rice setting unlv basketball back a decade is the saddest of all.

That is not true.

Only Adam Hill seems to be supportive of Rice...and he only is supportive in that he thinks UNLV should keep him around until the year is over (which is the wrong move by the way). Everyone else in the media, with the exception of Mike Grimolda - who never burns bridges so he can maintain media access, has expressed that the Rice era is over. They've been picking against UNLV all year long, and have been right more often than not.

Reactions: natchampin2
You really don't understand the disdain? Dave rice made millions off of being mediocre coach for unlv. He was even a failure and weaseled his way into a contract extension and raise somehow while missing the tournament.

But it's ok to call Kendal smith a punk? Good ole rebelnet.

So what? That makes zero sense. First of all, if I rember correctly he got that raise and then gave it to his assistants and paid for help academically for his players. The A$$HOLE!!

He coached his heart out, he just wasn't very good at it. Have you ever tried your hardest at anything and failed? I am sure your answer is no, but still. As long as he doesn't half a$$ it then why should you be mad?

That is pretty stupid... Sorry

Reactions: Mjs_702
And for Kendall, he bad mouthes the program. As soon as Rice does that, let me know. Then maybe your point holds water.

Reactions: Mjs_702
Been just given information that a strong UNLV supporter and UNLV administration met last week and again late Saturday started quick communication and together forced a decision to speak with Coach Rice to resign.

I have been told that Coach Rice has been told to resign and he responded that he has no interest in stepping down. Which will now force UNLV to make the next step. Obviously Rice is done at UNLV now under these circumstances.

Do not know of any upcoming discussion with the supporter and UNLV however I have been informed that UNLV will make the decision to fire Coach Rice effective immediately or wait until following the season most likely tomorrow or monday.

I believe that Rice will be asked again from talking to other people and given a position within the program. If he turns it down they will fire him based on play in their next 2 games. And I think Stacey Augman will be intern.

Simon the interim. Findlay calling the shots

So what? That makes zero sense. First of all, if I rember correctly he got that raise and then gave it to his assistants and paid for help academically for his players. The A$$HOLE!!

I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree.

Bye Dave rice. Meant well.

MonsterJam and mjrs:

Mitch moss and seat were taking about it over a year ago. I don't know the exact date. BUT I KNOW WHAT I HEARD! You must not listen to that crap. I stopped listening a while ago.

So it is true. Why I would make that up? So I could argue with some stronso on a message board.

"UNLV’s options will be determined largely by how much they are willing to pay, but one name rumored around the full-time job next season is former Los Angeles Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown. Brown’s son, Elijah, is a sophomore at New Mexico and Brown has been out of coaching since the Cavaliers fired him in 2014." LVRJ

Best news on this beautiful Sunday evening. This should have happened after the CSU game but I'm glad he was able to show his incompetence once more to put the final nail in the coffin. I think coach Simon will do a good job putting to action all that rice said he'd do but really never did. Good luck Coach Simon.

"UNLV’s options will be determined largely by how much they are willing to pay, but one name rumored around the full-time job next season is former Los Angeles Lakers and Cleveland Cavaliers coach Mike Brown. Brown’s son, Elijah, is a sophomore at New Mexico and Brown has been out of coaching since the Cavaliers fired him in 2014." LVRJ
That would be a very interesting hire. Don't know if it will happen but player will want to play for someone who has coached Lebron and Kobe. Interesting to talk about

It is apparent that Rice has run his course and can't get the job done. I don't understand the disdain for him though.

He is still a good guy that put his all into it so why do people hate him so much? It is not like he did anything bad here, he just tried his ass off and failed. It is nonsensical.
I certainly don't hate dave rice but he was not the guy for this job at this time; he proved that night in and night out. I believe that he is a good guy but he needs to sit under the tutelage of an experienced head coach for a few more years then build to a program like UNLV. I wish him luck but I am excited that he is leaving.

Couldn't agree more. Here's hoping this resignation rallies the troops for the remainder of the season rather than have the wheels come completely off.

Last edited by a moderator:
This. Apparently it's hard for you to understand.
KS never said bad word about UNLV.he said it was nice to be somewhere where he was coached and could develop. He slammed Rice, not UNLV. Something rice net could never understand - Rice does not equal UNLV.

And yes Rice was repeatedly compared to Young Coach K 1-2 years ago by many here.

He absolutely slammed the coach AND the program HE QUIT ON after leaving. Most humans have more class and frankly more sense than that.

And if people were on here comparing Rice to Coach freaking K, please, cite it. I don't remember that happening at all. I'd have laughed then too, but again, I don't think it really happened. Kinda like the whole dumb strawman myth about how everyone on here rips transfers undeservingly to defend Dave Rice.

MonsterJam and mjrs:

Mitch moss and seat were taking about it over a year ago. I don't know the exact date. BUT I KNOW WHAT I HEARD! You must not listen to that crap. I stopped listening a while ago.

So it is true. Why I would make that up? So I could argue with some stronso on a message board.

Ummm - I dont listen to Mitch Moss and Seat (and now Pritch). Soooo, perhaps we were both right. My bad.

People here do that ish all the time.

I listen to them plenty and never remember hearing anything like that. It's so silly it's almost unbelievable. i guess you heard what you heard... Funny we never had a thread on the "Coach K comparison by ESPN guys". I don't think a lot of people heard that.

Rice is an outstanding human being but not cut out to run UNLV's program. I'm glad the administration acted now instead of after the season to do the inevitable.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
He was a bad coach and deserved to be fired. He was only hired because Jimmer made him look good during his time at byu. Now Jimmer is out of the NBA and Rice is out at UNLV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT