ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking News --- Rice has been fired

Rebel_Westgate

Walk On
Jan 9, 2016
Been just given information that a strong UNLV supporter and UNLV administration met last week and again late Saturday started quick communication and together forced a decision to speak with Coach Rice to resign.

I have been told that Coach Rice has been told to resign and he responded that he has no interest in stepping down. Which will now force UNLV to make the next step. Obviously Rice is done at UNLV now under these circumstances.

Do not know of any upcoming discussion with the supporter and UNLV however I have been informed that UNLV will make the decision to fire Coach Rice effective immediately or wait until following the season most likely tomorrow or monday.

I believe that Rice will be asked again from talking to other people and given a position within the program. If he turns it down they will fire him based on play in their next 2 games. And I think Stacey Augman will be intern.

Reactions: natchampin2
Been just given information that a strong UNLV supporter and UNLV administration met last week and again late Saturday started quick communication and together forced a decision to speak with Coach Rice to resign.

I have been told that Coach Rice has been told to resign and he responded that he has no interest in stepping down. Which will now force UNLV to make the next step. Obviously Rice is done at UNLV now under these circumstances.

Do not know of any upcoming discussion with the supporter and UNLV however I have been informed that UNLV will make the decision to fire Coach Rice effective immediately or wait until following the season most likely tomorrow or monday.

I believe that Rice will be asked again from talking to other people and given a position within the program. If he turns it down they will fire him based on play in their next 2 games. And I think Stacey Augman will be intern.
What? So is he fired or not?

Why would he resign and not get paid.. If he gets fired he gets reminder of his deal or a large sum buyout...

This message is not clear at all. So he's fired but they haven't made a decision to fire him yet???

Yeah I'll believe it when I see it. I've been down this road before only to have my heart broken when CDR strong armed his way into an extension when I thought he was finally gone for good

UNLV has been given ultimatum by local booster. About an hour ago was told UNLV is meeting with supporters and also someone close to the program who is acting as advisor. This could happen before the next game.

We hope so, but this is not clear. Why would Stacey be the interim when Max is the Asst Head Coach? This seems like a prank. It would be a big relief, I hope it is true, but I have my doubts. Rice is like a leach holding onto this job and sucking the life out of the fans and it appears the players. He should have been fired last year. HOPE IS IN THE AIR NOW. But we usually get let down by this administration. Hard to believe it until we hear it first hand.

You're right.. Who needs good,homegrown guard play when we have sick ass transfers like Tyrone Seagers and Spike Nwamu?? 30 points on 13 shots....

I don't care about a kid who sucked here then quit, then ran his mouth. Screw that kid.

He's in the right league now.

Is there something wrong with that video? I know it's common practice in these parts to trash players on their way out, but is there something I'm missing? I get it, Katin was cancer, BDJ was a pariah, Dribble Smith was a clown, J-hawk was inept and K.Smith is a primadona?

Oh stop. It is absolutely NOT common practice to rip players on their way out here unless they deserve it. Certainly doesn't happen more here than anywhere else. Your few bad examples demonstrate absolutely nothing.

Go ahead though, keep updating us on games where Kendall Smith gets to the line 18 times in a high school gym. Like you said, cool story. And like I said, IDC.

Bad examples? There are literally hundreds of hate filled posts directed at Katin and BDJ and to a lesser extent the others I mentioned. It is absolutely common practice in these parts to place blame on "disgruntled transfers" instead of the golden boy CDR. It's only been the last couple weeks where this board has truly been awakened to the real root of the problem.

BS. Terrible examples.
Stupid fans rip players on message boards all across the country regularly. Ever been to another board? Try. Any. It's no more commonplace here.

Sometimes when it happens the players even deserve it.... Shocking...
Katin was a premadonna and as selfish as they come. BDJ was a temper tantrum baby and the very definition of cancer. Deville Smith was a terrible player who couldn't make it to the damn bus on time. JHawk was a great Rebel, no idea what you're talking about there.

Peoples distaste for Katin, BDJ and Kendall Smith has nothing to do with Dave Rice. At all. It has everything to do with those players and their behavior both while they were here, and after they left.

"Golden Boy CDR" eh....Yay strawman day

Last edited:
"Katin was a premadonna and as selfish as they come. BDJ was a jackass and the very definition of cancer. Deville Smith was a terrible player who couldn't make it to the damn bus on time. JHawk was a great Rebel, no idea what you're talking about there."

And on and on and on it goes. You could literally go down the list of players and have similar type excuses with each player like you so eloquently stated above. And btw, this board soured on J-hawk his senior year, but maybe you missed that.

"Peoples distaste for Katin, BDJ and Kendall Smith has nothing to do with Dave Rice. At all."

Seeing how CDR has been the common denominator in all of this, he absolutely should have something to do with the disdain of some of these players, but that doesn't fit in to well with the narrative around here.

Garbage. A totally garbage take. And another big damn strawman to close. Congrats.

And as for JHawk, I didn't miss anything. I've just been around long enough to know that a couple of stupid fans on a message board don't constitute a "board soured" on the player. You are sadly in need of perspective.

The only silly "narrative" going on here is you pretending everyone on this board regularly rip players who don't deserve it to defend the coach. Stop please. It's lame.

Last edited:
Reactions: rebelluver
My sources tell me that TKM met with Rice tonight and gave him a 10-year extension. They didn't want him to run off to South Florida again. That was a close one!

Reactions: Mjs_702
Gee last time we let a "booster" dictate who he wanted to coach our team, Tark got fired. Dangerous to start that precedent again.

Watch out for trolls.

And for the record, if Rice gets let go at this point it's pretty hard to argue he didn't deserve it.

You can show me videos of Kendal smith being a punk all you want, doesn't change the fact Dave rice is a failure in his player evaluation, development, and overall success as a coach. I can't stand Dave Rice's face and the Gorman crews constant and repetitive babying and excuse making of the current coach. How can there be any credibility left after being so wrong over and over. I'm sure there are other people that are plugged into the program that can advance the conversations of this board past the current propaganda currently spoon fed to us.

It is apparent that Rice has run his course and can't get the job done. I don't understand the disdain for him though.

He is still a good guy that put his all into it so why do people hate him so much? It is not like he did anything bad here, he just tried his ass off and failed. It is nonsensical.

Honestly does the majority of people hate him? I highly doubt it, I respect the man and what he tried to accomplish here. He bleeds rebel red and I guarantee he put in the time. I just don't think he was ready to be a head coach heck he may never be some guys are just really good assistants and that's ok. I was always on the side of Rice needed to coach at a smaller school and get his feet wet before be in the head coach at unlv. This is a animal many coaches aren't ready for. Sadly Rice didn't get the job done. Hopefully there's no hard feeling on either side Rice is a rebel and always will be. It's just time to move on.

Of course not. There are some that are just evil with their comments and those I don't understand.

Reactions: Mjs_702
Honestly does the majority of people hate him? I highly doubt it, I respect the man and what he tried to accomplish here. He bleeds rebel red and I guarantee he put in the time. I just don't think he was ready to be a head coach heck he may never be some guys are just really good assistants and that's ok. I was always on the side of Rice needed to coach at a smaller school and get his feet wet before be in the head coach at unlv. This is a animal many coaches aren't ready for. Sadly Rice didn't get the job done. Hopefully there's no hard feeling on either side Rice is a rebel and always will be. It's just time to move on.
nailed it. coach rice has learned a lot in his time at unlv. but he didnt learn it at the right time. dude is still on the fly. but after 4+ years, he is still coaching on the fly. i think he had a plan, but i also think he played himself with that plan. it its really time to move on now. the way his team has regressed into a team the fans dont even want to watch, it is officially time to call it over. he has lost this team. the team really lost themselves. and he has proven he cannot bring them back. sucks, but it is time to move on. the program cannot be allowed to be held hostage, it is time to accept that we are a low mid major again. if the admin gets it right, hopefully we have something to work with next year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT