ADVERTISEMENT

Brace yourself

Indeed.

Someone on a coog board said a player reached out to Houston staff in January. (Right around the time the rebels were ASS).

it was inevitable. NIL money is not here . It wont be here with CKK as a coach. IMO. That is why we needed a splash hire. Inject HOPE in this program. Things could get real bad. Thomas was so good for a Freshman PG. If he leaves i would not be surprised if other decommit.

Losing the balance of 75% of our scoring in the offseason is a UNLV tradition...

Losing a true star that could've carried our team next year and was a key cog in the recruiting machine is not a good look

Reactions: LVRebel2000
If DJ heads East then why not start over now with someone new? Losing DJ would be almost impossible for Kevin to recover from. If DJ does leave, then so should Kevin, hire Chris Mack or someone else and get the new show going!

Last edited:
Suddenly I’m not as pro-Kevin as I once was.
If it wasn’t Houston, it was going to be Arizona or UCLA with the brinks truck.

More than that though, Houston is primed for a title run and they have a HC that knows WTF he’s doing. That is probably more appealing to Dedan than some middling mountain west program that can’t even get up for a home game vs Southern or AFA.

More than that though, Houston is primed for a title run and they have a HC that knows WTF he’s doing. That is probably more appealing to Dedan than some middling mountain west program that can’t even get up for a home game vs Southern or AFA.
Can’t blame him. Just hurts lol

If DJ heads East then why not start over now with someone new? Losing DJ would be almost impossible for Kevin to recover from that. If DJ does leave, then so should Kevin, hire Chris Mack or someone else and get the new show going!
Agreed, 100%. Make the best of the situation and stop wasting time.

What hurts about this is Houston made a Smart hire in Sampson and didn’t worry about some past transgressions. Now they are a top 5 program taking our best player.

UNLV doesn’t see globally like that and no buy in from admin to win.

Yep, probably only one more year in college, seems like a very easy choice.

Agreed, 100%. Make the best of the situation and stop wasting time.
Tough call, it’s going to be about 2 million to get rid of CKK, drops to a million next season. That contract and buyout was horrible for a first time, little experienced coach. Thanks DRF.

I suppose we could replace Dedan with Pop Isaac and build a roster that be more productive in rebounding, shooting, tempo. Hard to say, again we don’t know who else bails. Whaley could be leaving to go back to Utah. Who knows, could be looking at 6-7 new guys for CKKs hot seat season.

CKK has a impossible task ahead of him. If the buyout is 2 mil. I wish he would let us pay him over the course of a few years to soften the blow. Should of never ever gotten the job. Was a feel good story ,but this story does not have the ending we all would of hoped for.

Indeed.

Someone on a coog board said a player reached out to Houston staff in January. (Right around the time the rebels were ASS).
I made the post on the UH board. It was in reference to Wade Taylor, not Dedan. That was before I got wind that Dedan was headed where he should've been along...UH. He made Sr. happy/proud by being a Legacy Rebel, but now he's about to make Mama Tina VERY happy..

I beat the drum all season that if Dedan was about winning and developing for the NBA, he'd use this frosh season to get some well-needed experience(he was only gonna get 5-8 min/gm behind Shead) at UNLV, since he didn't sign with us, and then transfer to UH.

Watching Shead blow up, UH be #1 for weeks, top 5 all season, a #1 seed, and only an unfortunate ankle sprain(cuz yes, we would've beaten Duke AND NCSU in Dallas) from being in the Final Four, Dedan had to see all that and think of the possibilities of being given the keys to Sampson's well-oiled machine that will always be led by a PG that he trusts....a coach on the floor.

I wish you guys success, but this is the Perfect Storm for Coog Nation.

Nate

• Sad
I made the post on the UH board. It was in reference to Wade Taylor, not Dedan. That was before I got wind that Dedan was headed where he should've been along...UH. He made Sr. happy/proud by being a Legacy Rebel, but now he's about to make Mama Tina VERY happy..

I beat the drum all season that if Dedan was about winning and developing for the NBA, he'd use this frosh season to get some well-needed experience(he was only gonna get 5-8 min/gm behind Shead) at UNLV, since he didn't sign with us, and then transfer to UH.

Watching Shead blow up, UH be #1 for weeks, top 5 all season, a #1 seed, and only an unfortunate ankle sprain(cuz yes, we would've beaten Duke AND NCSU in Dallas) from being in the Final Four, Dedan had to see all that and think of the possibilities of being given the keys to Sampson's well-oiled machine that will always be led by a PG that he trusts....a coach on the floor.

Nate
GTFO out of here with that smug shit

Definitely dont need Coog fans coming here to gloat. You could go get any other PG in the Country, heck you could have him after 2 years... Your program has big P5 dollars and the lure of the Big 12, you loose All Americans and replace them with another...
We lose our star freshman PG and our program resets back to a position it was in over the past decade.

it was inevitable. NIL money is not here . It wont be here with CKK as a coach. IMO. That is why we needed a splash hire. Inject HOPE in this program. Things could get real bad. Thomas was so good for a Freshman PG. If he leaves i would not be surprised if other decommit.
Oh..one other thing. Coach Sampson stands on his principles. The Culture is THE Culture here. We'll never get into a NIL bidding war for a player. UH players get taken care of AFTER they arrive on campus. Sampson don't play that. Once a player asks HOW MUCH ARE WILLING....Sampson stops recruiting him. SImple. Point blank. That way, there's no division in the locker room. How do you think a player that's been here for 3-4 years feels to see some hotshot come in and already receive $400K?

So it's not about NIL. Trust me. Look at the past 4-5 years of players that have made it to the NBA through Sampson's tutelage : Armoni Brooks, Nate Hinton, Quentin Grimes, Taze Moore, DeJon Jarrreau, Jarace Walker, Marcus Sasser. Only Grimes and Jarace were above 3 stars coming out of HS. NBA scouts know that UH players WILL play defense in the NBA, cuz it's a non-negotiable here to get playing time. And that was playing in the American Athletic Conference before this year. That carries weight to kids and their parents when they can trust that their son is gonna treated like a son, but given tough love and grow into a man.

I'll leave ya'll with these two Sampson sayings that explain how/why we're a nationally relevant program now, and could beat aTm in OT with 4 starters fouled out, JoJo Tugler and Arceneaux out for the year, and a walk-on ON the court in OT.
1-"Every team plays hard. But do they COMPETE. We don't just play hard, our kids compete."
2-"It's one thing for your players to play together with one another. But do they play FOR each other? My kids play for each other. There is BIG difference."

Nate

Reactions: mwsn7022012
GTFO out of here with that smug shit
May be smug...but just wanted to set the record straight. You know if it's on the internet, it gotta be true. It was about Wade Taylor. It may be why he deleted his Twitter post yesterday telling aTm "bye"..

(insert PEACE sign here please, smugly)

Nate

Definitely dont need Coog fans coming here to gloat. You could go get any other PG in the Country, heck you could have him after 2 years... Your program has big P5 dollars and the lure of the Big 12, you loose All Americans and replace them with another...
We lose our star freshman PG and our program resets back to a position it was in over the past decade.
Dedan wants to win AND get coached up to get to the league. Go read everything I posted. Dedan was ALWAYS a UH-lean to follow Cedric Lath here, but last minute, the pressure to follow legacy won out(and pissed his mom off cuz she's always wanted him here). So this way, he has pleased both parents.

Did ya'll NOT see what Dedan Sr. posted on Twitter on March 9, 2024??
And I quote, "Coach. Sampson can really coach @JonRothstein"
Dedan, Jr's DAD posted that..

Nate

• Sad
If CKK loses Dedan, his entire career path changes overnight. For his sake (and ours), I really hope he's out there finding the money to match all offers.

Unless being an assistant for the next 10-20 years sounds appealing to him.

That being said, if he pulls this off, we're now short the $NIL needed to surround Dedan with the players he deserves.

Talk about a pickle.
Snacking Amandla Stenberg GIF by BuzzFeed

Last edited:

Nate

I don’t disagree at all with your points, and from my view it is a no brainer for Dedan. Our program is run by a coach that doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground much less know how to develop a team.

It has been a very tough season here and it has probably built some character for Dedan, he really put the team on his back vs SDSU in the conference tournament. Almost single handily defeated a s16 squad.

It sucks but you only have so much time as an athlete and there’s too much upside with Houston and the exposure there.

Oh..one other thing. Coach Sampson stands on his principles. The Culture is THE Culture here. We'll never get into a NIL bidding war for a player. UH players get taken care of AFTER they arrive on campus. Sampson don't play that. Once a player asks HOW MUCH ARE WILLING....Sampson stops recruiting him. SImple. Point blank. That way, there's no division in the locker room. How do you think a player that's been here for 3-4 years feels to see some hotshot come in and already receive $400K?

So it's not about NIL. Trust me. Look at the past 4-5 years of players that have made it to the NBA through Sampson's tutelage : Armoni Brooks, Nate Hinton, Quentin Grimes, Taze Moore, DeJon Jarrreau, Jarace Walker, Marcus Sasser. Only Grimes and Jarace were above 3 stars coming out of HS. NBA scouts know that UH players WILL play defense in the NBA, cuz it's a non-negotiable here to get playing time. And that was playing in the American Athletic Conference before this year. That carries weight to kids and their parents when they can trust that their son is gonna treated like a son, but given tough love and grow into a man.

I'll leave ya'll with these two Sampson sayings that explain how/why we're a nationally relevant program now, and could beat aTm in OT with 4 starters fouled out, JoJo Tugler and Arceneaux out for the year, and a walk-on ON the court in OT.
1-"Every team plays hard. But do they COMPETE. We don't just play hard, our kids compete."
2-"It's one thing for your players to play together with one another. But do they play FOR each other? My kids play for each other. There is BIG difference."

Nate
UNLV is going to punish you on the grid iron in Houston this year

Reactions: Jay_dela89
Sampson coaches like Tark did. Crazy to think we could have had him several years ago. Can’t blame DTJ if he leaves. He gave us a year of great PG play and showed his love for the program. If he goes I’ll be rooting for him wherever he lands.
Our current MBB leadership is a completely different conversation.

In all seriousness I’m tired of being in the same cycle year after year a false sense of hope in the off season players leave we recruit a new semi hype player it takes time too gel no post season this year was had DJ and he took us to the NIT now he’s gonna get a bag . If he leave I’m really gonna have to consider my season tickets and support from a far I’m tired it

If CKK loses Dedan, his entire career path changes overnight. For his sake (and ours), I really hope he's out there finding the money to match all offers.

Unless being an assistant for the next 10-20 years sounds appealing to him.

That being said, if he pulls this off, we're now short the $NIL needed to surround Dedan with the players he deserves.

Talk about a pickle.
Snacking Amandla Stenberg GIF by BuzzFeed
People's words have to mean something still. Sr is an old school Rebels. As far as coaching goes, CKK made a huge stride at the end of the season. Lon is around.

can’t be mad at DJ… he has the opportunity to play on a top 5 team next season in the BIG12 and be running the show. Add in the fact that he will be compensated a lot better there is just another reason to bounce. The biggest thing is he will
Be playing for a coach that actually knows what he’s doing and isn’t going to waste his talent playing for the middle of the MW and trying to win the conference tournament to get to play in the NCAA. Hope it doesn’t happen but don’t see why it wouldn’t happen at this point

can’t be mad at DJ… he has the opportunity to play on a top 5 team next season in the BIG12 and be running the show. Add in the fact that he will be compensated a lot better there is just another reason to bounce. The biggest thing is he will
Be playing for a coach that actually knows what he’s doing and isn’t going to waste his talent playing for the middle of the MW and trying to win the conference tournament to get to play in the NCAA. Hope it doesn’t happen but don’t see why it wouldn’t happen at this point
I dunno man. I have always picked the lesser team to play on since I was pretty good at what I was doing. I played soccer since I was 10. The first 3 games were scrimmages, we got our faces kicked in. When league play starts we were winning one game at a time. On the third game, we tied with a team. The coaches got so pissed off because we tied. So the next 10 games until the playoff, all blowouts. I once scored 12 goals in one game. In Jr and HS, I played football and soccer, always have a competitive teams. We just refuse to lose. Maybe DJ feels this way too... At Houston he is just another player. Maybe he like that..who know?

At the end of the day DJ has to do what’s good for him and his, nothing more. If that is UH, so be it! I was concerned about wasting his time and talent with an “also ran” like Kevin, can’t blame him for wanting to be part of more. Kevin is not going to be able to answer the bell here and we all know it, DJ possibly leaving screams Kevin ain’t the guy! I hope Harper is ready to pivot in the right direction!

Reactions: Rebel_Luv
At the end of the day DJ has to do what’s good for him and his, nothing more. If that is UH, so be it! I was concerned about wasting his time and talent with an “also ran” like Kevin, can’t blame him for wanting to be part of more. Kevin is not going to be able to answer the bell here and we all know it, DJ possibly leaving screams Kevin ain’t the guy! I hope Harper is ready to pivot in the right direction!
I was ready to fired CKK in the OCC games but then thing changed during conference plays. AFA aside. I have no idea what the hell that was? CKK got better and better...until Ka and Whaley got hurts. Whaley never seems the same after that injury. That kid is a 260 lbs of flying boulder before he got hurt. I dont want to see our staff go yet. Coaches like Barret Perry and Jamal Williams are good to great coaches behind CKK.

I think Bear Cherry is going to fine manning the middle. Coach Barret Perry is no joke on the recruiting front.

Last edited:
If DTJ goes, They all go.. Clean house, hire a good HC, let him bring players from his current program, and then go shopping in the portal... Im not up for another wasted season because we have a couple decent assistants on the bench. Last I checked, they dont make shots. Wades got a handful of guards that averaged 11ppg or better that are Jrs or underclassmen... Good opportunity to bring in scorers and do a full roster turnover

If DTJ goes, They all go.. Clean house, hire a good HC, let him bring players from his current program, and then go shopping in the portal... Im not up for another wasted season because we have a couple decent assistants on the bench. Last I checked, they dont make shots. Wades got a handful of guards that averaged 11ppg or better that are Jrs or underclassmen... Good opportunity to bring in scorers and do a full roster turnover
Wade got no ties to Vegas. And Harper as good as he is, have very little influence either. IMHO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT