ADVERTISEMENT

12 years ago TODAY

rebelwithacause

Rebel Legend
Mar 27, 2002
We reached #12 in the Polls _ it was our highest ranking POST TARK era

Dave Rices first year - After getting to 16-2 we climbed all the way up to #12 in the polls

these were good times

A few days later we lost to the #22 ranked SDSU Aztecs by only 2 points at Viejas

We thought we would win this rivalry

Little did we know the Aztecs would come to OWN us and we would become a NON- Factor for league contention

Look at it this way: In football you can go back 10, 20 and even 30+ years and we always sucked. It took the right coach and only 1 season to make UNLV relevant and get all the way up to 26/27 ranked in the nation. Basketball can be fixed just as easily with the right coach.

As a side note, SDSU also owned UNLV in football, now they suck!

Look at it this way: In football you can go back 10, 20 and even 30+ years and we always sucked. It took the right coach and only 1 season to make UNLV relevant and get all the way up to 26/27 ranked in the nation. Basketball can be fixed just as easily with the right coach.

As a side note, SDSU also owned UNLV in football, now they suck!
That is very true

Should be a lot easier for BB too

the conditions in CBB these days lend to being able to put together a roster and a staff that can win right away

Is the $$ there tho to make it happen ??- for the right guy it might be there

I have to laugh at "ranked 26th/27th" .....That is still "NOT RANKED" bro the rankings only go up to 25

That does not count - that is embarrassing to count that as an achievement- But still I get your point - it was a good year

That is very true

Should be a lot easier for BB too

the conditions in CBB these days lend to being able to put together a roster and a staff that can win right away

Is the $$ there tho to make it happen ??- for the right guy it might be there

I have to laugh at "ranked 26th/27th" .....That is still "NOT RANKED" bro the rankings only go up to 25

That does not count - that is embarrassing to count that as an achievement- But still I get your point - it was a good year
That is based on getting votes. I know it isn't actually ranked, but in the same way people have the bottom 10, players notice how close UNLV football got to being ranked. It wasn't that many years ago that we were in strong competition for being #1 in the bottom 10!

We reached #12 in the Polls _ it was our highest ranking POST TARK era

Dave Rices first year - After getting to 16-2 we climbed all the way up to #12 in the polls

these were good times

A few days later we lost to the #22 ranked SDSU Aztecs by only 2 points at Viejas

We thought we would win this rivalry

Little did we know the Aztecs would come to OWN us and we would become a NON- Factor for league contention
Just sad

At one point we were ranked in the top ten with Rollie Massimino

Yes, with Tark's players.
I remember, Rollie saying, "We are not the Runnin' Rebels, We are the Flyin' Rebels".
Blashphemy! Well, he lasted 2 years.
At the time, first team ever to be ranked at the end of the season and not make the NCAAT. Unbelievable. Was it a snub? Probably, but they did something like lose 6 of their last 10 (don’t quote me, we flailed down the stretch though) and most games were by a possession. Maybe Marv got his “winnin’ time” philosophy from Fat Daddy Mass. I hated that guy. Loathed him.

Reactions: WYNN or Dye
At the time, first team ever to be ranked at the end of the season and not make the NCAAT. Unbelievable. Was it a snub? Probably, but they did something like lose 6 of their last 10 (don’t quote me, we flailed down the stretch though) and most games were by a possession. Maybe Marv got his “winnin’ time” philosophy from Fat Daddy Mass. I hated that guy. Loathed him.
Rollie, was arrogant as hell too.
He had this, "I won a National Championship in 1985 at Villanova."
So, I am a great coach, attitude/behavior. He was, not a humble person.
His personality, here at UNLV was very defensive and didn't like getting criticized.
He, hated Las Vegas. He's an East Coast guy, through and through. You, could tell.

He came to collect a (secret) check. We should have known then that the Admn was not committed to a high level program.

He came to collect a (secret) check. We should have known then that the Admn was not committed to a high level program.
I don’t blame him for that. You get what you can get. UNLV had to go along with it or create it and offer it in the first place. He’s scummy for a lot of reasons but that’s probably the one that bothers me the least.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
I don’t blame him for that. You get what you can get. UNLV had to go along with it or create it and offer it in the first place. He’s scummy for a lot of reasons but that’s probably the one that bothers me the least.
in his press conference he said we are going to be the Flying Rebels...sick

Reactions: WYNN or Dye
Yea, Rollie and Robert Maxon.
Ruined, UNLV basketball.
Handful of people thought UNLV should grow up and act like a “real” university, abandoning the belief in second chances and pretending that the school isn’t located in Vegas. Same folks who thought making Vegas a family destination was a good idea. They did irreparable harm to UNLV.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT