ADVERTISEMENT

Writing on the Wall

Pistol Pete 1

Retired Number
Sep 22, 2008
Checking twitter it appears we have a significant uptick of guys entering the portal. Is that an indication of probable incoming talent, dislike of coaching staff or actually pursuing better options at higher rated programs. Jusr curious!

Yawn! All the players on that transfer out list can be replaced by the very thing they are using to leave!

Checking twitter it appears we have a significant uptick of guys entering the portal. Is that an indication of probable incoming talent, dislike of coaching staff or actually pursuing better options at higher rated programs. Jusr curious!
Looks like the same kids that decided to transfer prior Odom being hired

I haven't checked since this morning, but the only new change I saw was Eliel (sp?) putting his name forth in the draft. Interesting....

I haven't checked since this morning, but the only new change I saw was Eliel (sp?) putting his name forth in the draft. Interesting....
With all of the NFL talent we had on the roster no wonder Arroyo was fired. He underachieved badly! Should have made the Super Bowl, forget the CFP.

(Sarcasm about the “NFL talent”)

Okay then forget the uptick. Why do you think they are leaving? Any of the reasons I listed above or something else? Just curious.
Change of coaching staff. NIL offers elsewhere. Looking for more exposure in P5 conference. Tired of losing here. They just feel like it.

This is college football in 2022. There were over 1000 entries into the portal in the 1st week it opened after the season. It seems like it’s more likely for a player to transfer than stay at one school for 4-5 years. It’s the way of the world now.

We’ve had 6 players enter the portal so far this year (I think we had 17 last year). I don’t think it’s been too bad, other than losing some key pieces.

In comparison, I think Colorado State is up to 16 that have entered the portal.

Change of coaching staff. NIL offers elsewhere. Looking for more exposure in P5 conference. Tired of losing here. They just feel like it.

This is college football in 2022. There were over 1000 entries into the portal in the 1st week it opened after the season. It seems like it’s more likely for a player to transfer than stay at one school for 4-5 years. It’s the way of the world now.

We’ve had 6 players enter the portal so far this year (I think we had 17 last year). I don’t think it’s been too bad, other than losing some key pieces.

In comparison, I think Colorado State is up to 16 that have entered the portal.
So, grass is greener?

All players that have committed elsewhere were starters moving on to power 5 teams. Yes, those will hurt, but we will have to expect this to happen most years in this day and age.
Considering there was a coaching change, the amount isn't too bad.
Hopefully we can bring back Kyle Williams, he did after the portal before Petrino was hired.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Why are our guys in the portal? Well it's 2022 and there were more than 1000 players in the portal. This will always be more prevalent after a coaching change. Even taking that into consideration only SJSU and SDSU have fewer transfers (edit: in the conference) in the portal than we do. There are a few guys who are 'declaring for the draft', but generally those are guys who have a very low chance of actually being drafted.

That being said, some guys also get told "Hey, it'd be best for you to test the waters in the portal because you might not be a fit here". I think Odom has been very forthright about trying to keep the core of the team together--but I think there are always outliers.

Last edited:
You can't beat hawaii, I assume staff basically told guys time to leave and play in big sky.

recruited over by new staff. They are being are being proactive.
Well all of those that actually signed elsewhere are upgrading for sure. They weren't recruited over. A couple of them that havent signed? Sure.

I’ve seen a couple guys declare for the draft and I’ve never heard of them, even the long snapper declared for the draft lol all 6ft 205lbs of him ha

They’re all foregoing their final years of eligibility and going to the nfl draft. Never mind that they have no chance in hell to even get a combine invite.

They only ones with any real shot at even an invite are Plant and Ajike.

Plant had decent but not great production. Disappeared too much in games. But has good measurable (Height/weight) Has body type to be a situational pass rusher as a 4-3 DE. Could fit the same type roll as a rush OLB in a 3-4. Would have to show at workouts he's athletic enough to drop into coverage occasionally as a 3-4 OLB.

Seriously doubt it though.

Ajike might get a look at a camp. Opposite of Plant. Great production last two years. Very consistent. Might latch on as a special teams guy. Not sure his athleticism (or lack of) translates to the NFL though.

Again highly doubt it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT