ADVERTISEMENT

Will Your Thoughts.....

Bullmastiff 1

Rebel Legend
Gold Member
Jun 5, 2007
Las Vegas
http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/ju...help-sway-recruit-unlv-/#.VYeLn-GksZQ.twitter

Now that there are three verbal commitments from local players and offers to at least three others that we know of...

Is it possible this could have a snowball effect. Other local kids see top prospects like Garcia and Caldwell staying home and decide they want to be a part of it.

This article is painting a very different picture from what you have stated in the past about Coach Sanchez and UNLV's commitment to recruit local talent. Curious if your view has changed in that regard.

Nope, he is too stubborn to change his views, he'll spin it some way for sure.

Will may stick to his guns or he may see that maybe there is a new commitment to recruiting local talent being made. I am actually more interested if he thinks these 3 early signings could help get some more of the top local talent to jump on board.

Ray Brewer is a fan of Sanchez as well as a great reporter, I understand his feeling and opinion. Sanchez is a more active recruiter than the previous staffs. I think they are identifying guys they feel can help and have done a great job eyeing guys in the trenches and have put some feet on the ground to get to know the area.
I do feel there are some skill guys that they should strongly consider as well but they are putting in the ground work.
Overall, I feel its a good time to focus on the upcoming season and watch things develop. He has done a very good job of selling UNLV early to prospects and hopefully he will finish strong.

Reactions: RebelBuzz
Ray Brewer is a fan of Sanchez as well as a great reporter, I understand his feeling and opinion. Sanchez is a more active recruiter than the previous staffs. I think they are identifying guys they feel can help and have done a great job eyeing guys in the trenches and have put some feet on the ground to get to know the area.
I do feel there are some skill guys that they should strongly consider as well but they are putting in the ground work.
Overall, I feel its a good time to focus on the upcoming season and watch things develop. He has done a very good job of selling UNLV early to prospects and hopefully he will finish strong.

Will-

That still leaves the question...Do you think that these three early commitments might help sway some other local talent to stay home? Garcia, and Caldwell are top 10 Nevada prospects and an offer is out there for Bishop who is also a top 10 prospect in the state. Outlaw wasn't as highly rated but seemed to be gaining some interest. In this digital age of twitter and facebook etc these kids from different schools have way more contact with one another. I think this could snowball and we might actually keep a couple of other guys home that we might have missed on in years past.

I don't see it right now, most of the remaining guys have major offers. They may trickle down however once other kids commit to the major schools, they may not find as many options left when its time to take visits.

I wonder how this staff would react as being a possible "back-up" option for some of these players who might wait to commit after possible bigger school options fall through (possibly). The way this staff is putting offers out there for multiple guys at the same spots I wonder if there will be any "just in case slots" open in the next class be it for a local stud or any high caliber player.

I know with Gray Shirting you can "fudge" the numbers a bit with schollie counts but its a dangerous game for any recruit to just assume a spot is there for the taking.

Until signing day you never know for sure if a player will be coming to a school, and on the other side, any school can change their mind all of the way until signing day. I think it will take one good year of recruiting for UNLV to turn into the first option for most of the top tier players out of the Las Vegas area. With the exception of those couple of really high caliber players like Tate, most of the rest will be 3* or below and would see UNLV as a very good option once they become a winning program and show progress toward building new training facilities and upgrading the program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT