ADVERTISEMENT

Official Game Thread Whoever the Jan 2, 2024 opponent is

I just came across this game from a few weeks ago:

NDSU: 108 Oak Hill: 14

Some highlights here:
Wow. Complete domination. Good for North Dakota. They must have been firing on all cylinders.

Now if they can bottle it up for the rest of the season, we may have a Final Four dark horse on their hands.

• Haha
Reactions: LVRebel2000
The end of this season can’t come quickly enough, this team has disappointment written all over it. I thought Kalib Boone was a big man, he has had one good game against Creighton. The number of empty trips in this game tells a lot, no focus, no pride and no way they rise above who they are. The MWC is better than last year and this team’s only shot will be 4 in March and with most of them besides DJ being mental midgets, 4 in March is a pipe dream!

Last edited:
I get Jones looks slow when you run the way today's game was played but I don't understand having him on the roster if he can't honestly play the way he needs to. I see some good as a big body and rebounding but if you don't fit the teams style, why waste the roster spot.
*he had a decent stat line today vs dismal opponent

I get Jones looks slow when you run the way today's game was played but I don't understand having him on the roster if he can't honestly play the way he needs to. I see some good as a big body and rebounding but if you don't fit the teams style, why waste the roster spot.
Jones has done as good a job of getting in shape than any Rebel in recent history. He's 6'10" and can run the floor for the two or three minutes he's in. He'll get spot minutes to give our other big a rest or in case of foul issues. His hands are like he's wearing welding gloves but he has 5 fouls to give and can grab the occasional rebound. He's a big body for the other team to get around. He does fit our style because we are a jump shooting team that only occasionally runs. He's on the roster because he's 6'10 and 260. We had a spot.

Last edited:
You can spend a schollie on an unproductive big, it’s better than spending a schollie on an unproductive guard usually. Because size can’t be taught, makes practices more difficult.

I’d have to think hard but we’ve had some others over the years. Kev has them, I think Otz did? Marv did, Rice did, Kruger did (Jerome Johnson maybe?), Spoon did (N Bloom), Bayno did, Rollie did, Tark did. For each of these coaches, it may not have been every single year … but I recall “practice bigs” for all of them. They really aren’t meant to contribute game day, if you get to them it’s for foul trouble, very short blows, or an injury. For two of those things, it means crap really went wrong for that game or for the season (Brian Glenn the year Rice was fired).

I don’t see a schollie to a big as an issue at all, you get 13 of them, usually only depend on 8/9.

Another dominant performance from the guys today, Coach really has them firing on all cylinders, wins in 4 of the last 5, all by double digits including the 8th ranked team in the nation. They're definitely going into Viejas this weekend and losing by no more than 20 points.

National Championship here we come. Today’s game proved that we can not be beaten. Clicking on all cylinder.

Reactions: j. spilotro
Inb4 local media spins unlv as 7-5 and ready to take on SDSU.
Nuthugger type fans think it’s a real 7-5, too.

I expect it from the UNLV official site. They’ve always done that. I expect local media to do the same, not a tree mind and pen among them.

Fans are supposed to see through it really easy. Most do, nuthuggers don’t.

I expect it from the UNLV official site. They’ve always done that. I expect local media to do the same, not a tree mind and pen among them.

Reality is going to set in real soon anyway. Unlv’s next 5 games are all real good teams with high net rankings and are a combined 49-8.

I would say the next 5 games will probably determine CKKs future since a solid conference record is his only real chance to save his job. There’s a real possibility this team finishes in the bottom 3 of this conference.

Reality is going to set in real soon anyway. Unlv’s next 5 games are all real good teams with high net rankings and are a combined 49-8.

I would say the next 5 games will probably determine CKKs future since a solid conference record is his only real chance to save his job. There’s a real possibility this team finishes in the bottom 3 of this conference.
Agreed. Definitely an uphill battle, it took only 40 minutes of the season to put us in an uphill climb.

Yeah, if UNLV can bottle something up and come out 3-2 over the first five, maybe will stave off the inevitable for a bit longer, but would have to build on that still.

Can’t play like completely garbage for the first quarter of the year in a hot seat season and expect a lot of good.

I think the Conference is really split with the haves and have-nots. AF, WY, SJSU and Fresno at the very bottom. NM, SDSU, Colorado State and Reno at the top. Us at 6th or so. We'll get hot and win a couple we shouldn't and vice versa.

Agreed. Definitely an uphill battle, it took only 40 minutes of the season to put us in an uphill climb.

Yeah, if UNLV can bottle something up and come out 3-2 over the first five, maybe will stave off the inevitable for a bit longer, but would have to build on that still.

Can’t play like completely garbage for the first quarter of the year in a hot seat season and expect a lot of good.
I think they go 1-5… just being honest

I think the Conference is really split with the haves and have-nots. AF, WY, SJSU and Fresno at the very bottom. NM, SDSU, Colorado State and Reno at the top. Us at 6th or so. We'll get hot and win a couple we shouldn't and vice versa.

I bet UNLV loses at least once everyone one of those "bottom" teams

I bet UNLV loses at least once everyone one of those "bottom" teams
If that's the case I see us as 6 wins in conference. But I think we'll be closer to 8. That's just splitting hairs though. Both totally suck.

My prediction... we'll come out hot vs SDSU and lead at half, then get boat raced in 2nd when shots from outside stop falling and Dutch switches defensive approach and coaches circles around KK. Stevens drops 40 and we aren't even close vs CSU, and then somehow we beat UNM because we seem to have their number now. But in there we lose to like SJSU and Air Force

Reactions: LuvMeSomeRebs

It is a real 7-5, but unfortunately it only counts as a Junior College 7-5 that even makes Menzies record look great

It is a real 7-5, but unfortunately it only counts as a Junior College 7-5 that even makes Menzies record look great
I think most reasonable people would say that if the opponent cannot generate their own NET values, the records vs them don’t count.

But the nuthuggies will point and scream about those two easy wins as reason to keep a coach around because they “finished two games above 500”.

We all know those games are to build up win totals and to stuff stats and help mold perception to those with extreme gullibilites.

My prediction... we'll come out hot vs SDSU and lead at half, then get boat raced in 2nd when shots from outside stop falling and Dutch switches defensive approach and coaches circles around KK. Stevens drops 40 and we aren't even close vs CSU, and then somehow we beat UNM because we seem to have their number now. But in there we lose to like SJSU and Air Force
We’ll see but this team is always going to have issues in the paint with rebounding and defending the three point line. A couple of scrimmages isn’t going to fix that and don’t really sense any urgency from this staff.

Speaking of the scrimmages, unlv fans (especially STH) have really been screwed over with this schedule nonsense. Last year it was life pacific insurance college, then it’s Whittier the previous season, then this year it’s two podunk colleges.

This nonsense needs to stop and whoever the next HC is better have some connections and pull to bring some programs that we’ve heard of to the Mack.

0-5, against the first 5, and maybe they can be focused enough to win a game or two here or there and then the soup du jour, we split wins/losses with the bottom teams which we are one of by the way and then after all that it will all be over for Kevin at UNLV!

This is bad basketball. The crowd not only was NOT into it, they kinda knew it was bad. They just didn’t want to be looked at as bad fans.

The crowd is older so they are gonna show up regardless.

A lot of them left at halftime. I want to leave but I left at the 100 mark. (Free tacos!!!!)

I think what did it for me was Jackie pumped his chest after hitting a 3 in front of the Rebel Bench and Kruger.

I feel bad for Kevin.People were expecting to see his dad help out in some way but that’s not the case. Someone on the board said it best, he’s Eddie Sutton Jr and that’s being kind.

UNLV has been its own worst enemy for quite some time now.

Might as well move permanently into Cox if ya ask me. Bottom line: save money.

Reactions: Doneoett
This is bad basketball. The crowd not only was NOT into it, they kinda knew it was bad. They just didn’t want to be looked at as bad fans.

The crowd is older so they are gonna show up regardless.

A lot of them left at halftime. I want to leave but I left at the 100 mark. (Free tacos!!!!)

I think what did it for me was Jackie pumped his chest after hitting a 3 in front of the Rebel Bench and Kruger.

I feel bad for Kevin.People were expecting to see his dad help out in some way but that’s not the case. Someone on the board said it best, he’s Eddie Sutton Jr and that’s being kind.

UNLV has been its own worst enemy for quite some time now.

Might as well move permanently into Cox if ya ask me. Bottom line: save money.
Heard from others besides you how bad the experience was, crowd totally not into it, wasn’t enjoyable. Bad opponent obviously but then, the Rebels were super sloppy.

I’m sure there was a body or two there that thought it was an intimate, cozy crowd and that it was pretty exciting - the same type of people that grateful for drawing their next breath without keeling over.

The end of this season can’t come quickly enough, this team has disappointment written all over it. I thought Kalib Boone was a big man, he has had one good game against Creighton. The number of empty trips in this game tells a lot, no focus, no pride and no way the rise above who they are. The MWC is better than last year and this team’s only shot will be 4 in March and with most of them besides DJ being mental midgets, 4 in March is a pipe dream!
The issue with Kalib is that he has no post game. Its either a dunk or a shot that rolls around the rim 3 times before going in. Sad to see. When he came on his visit, he looked much better. Guess that doesnt happen when someone is guarding him.

The issue with Kalib is that he has no post game. Its either a dunk or a shot that rolls around the rim 3 times before going in. Sad to see. When he came on his visit, he looked much better. Guess that doesnt happen when someone is guarding him.
The thing is, Kalkbrenner or whatever his name was guarding him and he was going at him hard? But now it looks like he is taking nights off and I can’t stand that kind of effort in any sport. I think this is also an indication that Kevin can’t coach or motivate him to play on most nights and that is on both the coach and the player!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT