ADVERTISEMENT

When the dust completely settles

j. spilotro

Publisher
Staff
May 29, 2001
Las Vegas
unlv.rivals.com
There's going to be a lot of finger pointing about everything. And I wish it was just one person, because that's an easy fix. But it's not one person. It really isn't. There are a HOST of issues at UNLV and they've been there the entire time. Oh, there are times when it might be semi-dormant, but it's always been there.

I wish there was complete accountability. Only some will take the fall, but there are plenty that have a hand in this mess. I certainly don't expect TMK to survive this. And I don't expect Jessup to survive either. I just don't see it. Like it or not, we do have problem boosters. They will never, ever have accountability. To think some of them are not a significant part of the problem is foolish.

To me, this series of ugly events started about 13 months ago. The waffling with Rice/Howland. Either do it quickly or squash it quickly, give a firm vote of confidence and then STICK TO YOUR PROMISE. To me, that's what started the ticking time bomb. I felt it in my gut at that moment and I know it became heated debate on these boards. It's not the way you handle those situations. It's a sign of weakness and the vultures circle.

The midseason firing backfired in a way nobody could have predicted. That's why you DONT do it. Rice finishes the season and is fired if they don't make the tournament. If that happens, I can promise the APR is intact; it's a mess now. You don't have the "Stacey passed over for Todd" situation which brought on a whole new set of problems and bad feelings... You don't have kids that feel completely abandoned, so you aren't going to lose all of them.... And the reasoning behind the rarely seen midseason firing makes me SICK. Do it now because there's enough (pre injury plague) talent that he could save his job by winning the MWCT. Isn't that the goal? To get into the NCAA's??????? Yes, I have a huge problem with that line of thinking. And that is just one of the reasons I don't have any respect for some of our boosters. Power/influence with zero accountability. You reap what you sow. Now let's look at the net gain of that little game... It's a mess. It really is shameful. I wish about 20 heads would roll but I'm guessing it will be a small handful.

Guys, I can't see this thing being fixed unless UNLV flukes into it, because there is no money. The coaching position is tertiary in the process. You need a president who TRULY understands the athletic side of things. A strong person. Please, somebody point out the last president like that???? Then you need an athletic director who has experience, strength, diplomacy... Somebody who isn't afraid to shake things up, somebody who can stand up to people and issues, somebody who can make non-emotional decisions. Again, when did we last have that? Dr Brad? ... Though I think Livengood had some of that stuff.

It's a mess, top to bottom. It has been a mess, top to bottom, for the longest time. Don't kid yourselves, this didn't just surface. It's been slowly draining the fabric of athletics and it's just now coming to a head.

No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. I'd bet one of my first 10 posts on Rebel-Net 18 years ago was about these very points. I know I brought it up many times before then on cnnsi. This isn't new. And it's hard to fix and we haven't been close.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News