ADVERTISEMENT

Urban Meyer running up the score

RebelScrub

Making UNLV relevent again for locals
May 29, 2001
And they cough up the ball twice in the red zone.

Screamed a huge "____ You Urban" at the TV Screen

No covering the spread and no 8 TD record for you against UNLV.

Lol, we lost but that made my day.

Yeah, He's a real Clown now that he's at a P5 school and so is his one time assistant Starr at Florida

Last edited:
And they cough up the ball twice in the red zone.

Screamed a huge "____ You Urban" at the TV Screen

No covering the spread and no 8 TD record for you against UNLV.

Lol, we lost but that made my day.
Kinda, sorta, by way of play calling. But when he's doing it with his 9th string guys, maybe not so much. If you're going to get deep guys some reps, do you just want to hand it off between the tackles every play? May as well let them throw it around a bit.

The whole running up the score argument - I think both teams should understand you go all out until time expires. If you can't handle the humiliation, you shouldn't have allowed it in the first place. I mean, yeah, I'd personally milk the clock and let time pass as quickly as possible if I had an insurmountable lead. But I really don't have a problem with guys that pull their foot off the pedal just before the finish line, if at all.

Will b
Kinda, sorta, by way of play calling. But when he's doing it with his 9th string guys, maybe not so much. If you're going to get deep guys some reps, do you just want to hand it off between the tackles every play? May as well let them throw it around a bit.

The whole running up the score argument - I think both teams should understand you go all out until time expires. If you can't handle the humiliation, you shouldn't have allowed it in the first place. I mean, yeah, I'd personally milk the clock and let time pass as quickly as possible if I had an insurmountable lead. But I really don't have a problem with guys that pull their foot off the pedal just before the finish line, if at all.

Agreed. At the end of the day. It is football.

It's better than whining about people running up the score and expecting kid gloves and participation trophies. Man to man, go at it, winner take all.

Agreed. The god father. "It's just business' deal with it. On to next week. Having said that the view of the lake wine blonde steak. Makes the transition much easier. ✌️

I don't know. They went for it a LOT on 4th downs. They weren't playing to win. They were trying to run it up.

They did pull Barrett in the first half. Give em credit for that.

Even if they did try to run it up, I wouldn't blame them for it. The BCS ranking system all but forces you to run up scores. Its sometimes not enough just to win it.

OSU was smart - they tried to score as many points as they could while 1) safeguarding their most important players and 2) giving the second and third strings reps for experience sake. I want my coach in that same situation to do the exact same thing.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
Reps for their 3rd stringers?? Really?
Sure. Protect your starters and even back ups. But throwing the ball with 3rd stringers on every down is dickish. That experience is not going to mean much in the long run.

Reps for their 3rd stringers?? Really?
Sure. Protect your starters and even back ups. But throwing the ball with 3rd stringers on every down is dickish. That experience is not going to mean much in the long run.
Their 3rd string QB is a passing QB, not multi-dimensional like their 1st and 2nd string QBs.... If you're bent because they "ran it up", think of it this way.... Tarkanian expected his 2nd and 3rd string players to do the same thing as his starting five.... the mercy he's showed the other team, was by pulling his starters. If you can't stop the backups, then that's on you. I have ZERO disrespect for what they did....

Reactions: NSU67
Overall it was a good experience for our guys. It is good for them to be in a real college football environment. I just hope we get 10k actual fans Saturday. We know UNLV will boost up the attendance number. But the guys do need good fan support!!

Their 3rd string QB is a passing QB, not multi-dimensional like their 1st and 2nd string QBs.... If you're bent because they "ran it up", think of it this way.... Tarkanian expected his 2nd and 3rd string players to do the same thing as his starting five.... the mercy he's showed the other team, was by pulling his starters. If you can't stop the backups, then that's on you. I have ZERO disrespect for what they did....
If Urban truly WANTED to run up the score, OSU would have been in the 80's, no doubt. Giving some real reps to third string guys? Yeah, you definitely do that. Running every play up the middle without imagination for 2 yards isn't going build morale with that unit. Let them get out there and play. Like you said, if you can't stop their third string, that's on YOU, not them. I can't imagine sending guys out there and saying "try, but don't try too hard". Crap message.

Basketball and Football are not the same. Bench players matter more in basketball. The best analogy It's like putting your walk-ons in against St. Katherine's when already up 30+ then having them full court press, run and gun, not work any clock, foul hard, etc.

Poor taste.

Also, going for it on 4th downs? Over and over?? Really??

Sure it is our job to stop it. But its about running up the score, not winning. I get the playoff argument, but it is still poor taste.

You still try hard. But play Vanilla. Base packages. You can still pass some. But the purpose should be getting out with a win. Throwing the ball every down so your third stringers, who will likely never play together as a unit, means little. This experience is really going to help Tate in 3 years when he may actually start? I don't think so.

Getting game action does. No doubt.

I agree that could have hung 80 on us. They backed off some. I also agree that we should be able to stop their 3s. Which we did decently considering.

What I didn't understand and the only thing I took exception to was our boy urban throwing the ball three times on fourth down and not punting. Urban's a douchebag and I think we all kinda know it.

Reactions: dcut03
What I didn't understand and the only thing I took exception to was our boy urban throwing the ball three times on fourth down and not punting. Urban's a douchebag and I think we all kinda know it.
And I took it the other way especially when it was 4'th and goal from about the 9. He was giving us a chance to make a stand instead of taking sure points.

And I took it the other way especially when it was 4'th and goal from about the 9. He was giving us a chance to make a stand instead of taking sure points.
At this point I don't think any of this really matters but I would be interested in finding out what Urban was trying to achieve at the end of the game. I was confused by what was going on. But I'm easily confused.

He's a complete douchebag and always has been. I didn't have a huge problem with how he played out the game. While throwing the ball may not help third stringers in the long run, we know vanilla up the gut won't either. So, build morale, let them have fun, have a blast, get some pep in the step of that unit, maybe it fuels them and makes them go harder in practice thereby helping overall, maybe you a receiver catches your eye.... I think you can get some benefit by going hard, playing as you play... I don't think there's any benefit to essentially taking a knee and punting for 6 straight series.

Reactions: UNLVWINS
That's what I thought too. Taking 3 is easy points there. 4th and 9 is longshot territory. He wasn't trying to run it up, IMO. Otherwise he lets his QB move to the top of the Heisman watch list with 700 yards passing and 9 TD's through the air.

Reactions: Pistol Pete 1
No he was trying to run it up. It wasn't that much of a long shot. It worked every time. Field goal is the safe, and smart play. Going for it purely to run the score. If we fail, we get pinned deep, they get a short field likely, and he can go for another TD.

I get it. He is somewhat needs to for an outside shot in the playoffs this season. He does this every season.

He tries to rest his players for their safety, but also is trying to run up the score to look better in the papers.

Still a douche.

No he was trying to run it up. It wasn't that much of a long shot. It worked every time. Field goal is the safe, and smart play. Going for it purely to run the score. If we fail, we get pinned deep, they get a short field likely, and he can go for another TD.

I get it. He is somewhat needs to for an outside shot in the playoffs this season. He does this every season.

He tries to rest his players for their safety, but also is trying to run up the score to look better in the papers.

Still a douche.

I didn't like his comment after the game. We need to play a team with equal talent soon. Douche...

I don't really care about running up the score personally. I used to, but my opinion has changed as I've gotten older.

This was a $$$ game.

Whenever I play against better people, those are the games I like. It's when I'm most challenged, learn and grow the most.

Take the experience, take the $$$, move on to next week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT