ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV Practice Facility

RebNReno

NBA Draft Pick
Oct 17, 2015
Reactions: Sam-I-am
It appears UNLV is going to ask the Board of Regents for a loan to finally get this thing going. Only $6.4 million has been actually been donated. Still waiting on $11.84 million in pledged money that could be coming in years down the road.

Also of note- $6.25 million more is needed to furnish the building which will bring the actual total to $28.5 million

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2017/sep/06/unlv-will-seek-loan-to-complete-funding-for-footba/

Only $6.4 million has been donated? No wonder they haven't broke ground yet. I thought they were supposed to a year ago. This sucks!!

UNLV Hockey is trying to go to Division 1 plays with more heart than football and can't even get a nut from Athletics.

UNLV Hockey is trying to go to Division 1 plays with more heart than football and can't even get a nut from Athletics.

I'm a big hockey proponent, but Rebel Hockey is fighting an uphill battle. There are so few D1 hockey programs west of Minnesota that travel would be, probably, the largest part of the budget. Check out this map:
http://billsportsmaps.com/wp-conten...hockey_attendance-map_2015-16_60-teams_z_.gif

I'd love to see them do it, but the western US is a college hockey wasteland.

I'm a big hockey proponent, but Rebel Hockey is fighting an uphill battle. There are so few D1 hockey programs west of Minnesota that travel would be, probably, the largest part of the budget. Check out this map:
http://billsportsmaps.com/wp-conten...hockey_attendance-map_2015-16_60-teams_z_.gif

I'd love to see them do it, but the western US is a college hockey wasteland.
I'm a pretty big college hockey fan so it hurts to say this.
When Nebraska, with athletic revenue that dwarfs the Rebels', won't add a hockey team in response to the pleading by the B1G, it's pretty clear that the Rebels can't go in that direction for quite a while.

I'm a pretty big college hockey fan so it hurts to say this.
When Nebraska, with athletic revenue that dwarfs the Rebels', won't add a hockey team in response to the pleading by the B1G, it's pretty clear that the Rebels can't go in that direction for quite a while.

Hockey is a great sport to go to a game a watch.

Yes it is but it would be a massive loss in investment and in revenue for UNLV right now. Neither of which we can afford at this time.
Best case scenario for UNLV hockey (and one that I am in no way implying will or should happen) is that VGK becomes a major benefactor for UNLV hockey over the years... something like their intent to support youth hockey.

Best case scenario for UNLV hockey (and one that I am in no way implying will or should happen) is that VGK becomes a major benefactor for UNLV hockey over the years... something like their intent to support youth hockey.
I agree with you but the amount of money needed wouldn't be in the ball park of what VGK would want to put in. As Rebneck's post demonstrates, the travel costs would be outrageous since the closest team would be in Denver and the second closest team would be in Omaha. Heck, we'd have to pay them, and anyone else, to come out here to play.

I agree with you but the amount of money needed wouldn't be in the ball park of what VGK would want to put in. As Rebneck's post demonstrates, the travel costs would be outrageous since the closest team would be in Denver and the second closest team would be in Omaha. Heck, we'd have to pay them, and anyone else, to come out here to play.
You missed that ASU has a team, but point taken. I'm sure we'd want to talk to them about how they do it, I mean, other that the fact that they have huge PAC12 $$.

Believe me Bill Foley could afford it easily, if he chooses to, pocket change for him
Doubt he would put in close to enough to get it done and it may be best if he just uses more of his pocket change to make his own team a winner.

Reactions: bcvegaspt
You missed that ASU has a team, but point taken. I'm sure we'd want to talk to them about how they do it, I mean, other that the fact that they have huge PAC12 $$.
Oops! Good catch. I completely forgot about them but, even with the PAC 12 money, they are in deep financial straights with their hockey team. If they can't get some more PAC 12 teams to add hockey, that program could die soon because the B1G teams don't want to play in Scottsdale and the other hockey programs don't have money to burn.

Reactions: mvvsmith
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT