ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV Media Day

It sounds like Ricky White trust the coaching staff more at UNLV than the money offered by other big time programs. Having an All American who wants to stay at UNLV says a lot about this staff and the future of football
If Horton was getting 600k offers from KSU, I imagine Ricky White was hearing similar or better numbers.. Being a feature rather than a part probably means a lot to both of those WRs.

Reactions: RebelinWA
If Horton was getting 600k offers from KSU, I imagine Ricky White was hearing similar or better numbers.. Being a feature rather than a part probably means a lot to both of those WRs.
Wow that’s a whole lot of money to turn down. Hoping NiL here is close to that.

It’s a rapidly changing thing, especially with success, but no, not going to be that number. Hopefully someday, because that’ll mean we are making significant noise.
Don’t get me wrong, I really appreciate the loyalty to our program. I m happy that Unlv will have the top x y and z receiver set in the conference.

I just know that I probably would taken the cash, especially in today’s market. Though I also have a regrettable amount of student debt that I’ll be paying for until I die.

Yes. I wouldve grabbed a ton of cash had I been in that same position as well.. But I also think theres something to be said about being a feature of the offense not a part is a huge factor for some of these types of players. Ricky couldve gotten a huge pay day at a P5 school, but does he still feature as the premier WR in the group, is he even still the top WR in his conference? Im glad the staff was able to convince him to return and Im guessing part of that was letting him know that hes going to get a ton of targets, yards, and opportunities to score/show off his skills to get drafted.

Don’t get me wrong, I really appreciate the loyalty to our program. I m happy that Unlv will have the top x y and z receiver set in the conference.

I just know that I probably would taken the cash, especially in today’s market. Though I also have a regrettable amount of student debt that I’ll be paying for until I die.
If you are a pro prospect, which Ricky is, I think the thinking is different. A lot more to consider than just money.

Somebody like Maiava … who isn’t going to play for money professionally, I think you grab as much as you can, when you can.

Yes. I wouldve grabbed a ton of cash had I been in that same position as well.. But I also think theres something to be said about being a feature of the offense not a part is a huge factor for some of these types of players. Ricky couldve gotten a huge pay day at a P5 school, but does he still feature as the premier WR in the group, is he even still the top WR in his conference? Im glad the staff was able to convince him to return and Im guessing part of that was letting him know that hes going to get a ton of targets, yards, and opportunities to score/show off his skills to get drafted.
Very fair questions and analysis. To add to it, would Ricky have stayed if Marion left? Most likely not.

Very glad that Ricky stayed because of xyz. A question that needs to be thought about by all of us is will Ricky duplicate his production or improve it? Second year in the system so theres more familiarity, but will Sluka or Williams be able to deliver the ball to him? A good amount of targets have departed but will Sluka eat up those targets with his running ability or if its Williams, will he be able to deliver some of the good throws that Maiava had? Ricky will get his targets of course, but will Cain and Bradley and Thompson step up so much that the force feeding wont need to occur anymore? Lots of risk both ways in our opinion.

Ricky White III - It appears that he also took into consideration his chance to play in the NFL and that his chances are better playing as an All American superstar for UNLV than going to a big time program where he could be buried like he was at Michigan State. Great coaching and the ability to make it to the NFL can't be taken lightly .

Very fair questions and analysis. To add to it, would Ricky have stayed if Marion left? Most likely not.

Very glad that Ricky stayed because of xyz. A question that needs to be thought about by all of us is will Ricky duplicate his production or improve it? Second year in the system so theres more familiarity, but will Sluka or Williams be able to deliver the ball to him? A good amount of targets have departed but will Sluka eat up those targets with his running ability or if its Williams, will he be able to deliver some of the good throws that Maiava had? Ricky will get his targets of course, but will Cain and Bradley and Thompson step up so much that the force feeding wont need to occur anymore? Lots of risk both ways in our opinion.
Personally, I expect his production to be flat from last year. But considering how strong of a year he had last year I am sure he will feel there is nothing wrong with that. We just have more options on offense this season.

Ricky White III - It appears that he also took into consideration his chance to play in the NFL and that his chances are better playing as an All American superstar for UNLV than going to a big time program where he could be buried like he was at Michigan State. Great coaching and the ability to make it to the NFL can't be taken lightly .

That’s the key the fact that he has been at MSU, he knows that there is a fine line between WR1 and WR4 at most schools and he’d have to walk into the perfect situation to be able to step in at be the focal piece of an offense over guys just as talent as him who have been in the system for a few years. Probably a bigger risk to leave than to stay.

Reactions: LVRebel2000
If you are a pro prospect, which Ricky is, I think the thinking is different. A lot more to consider than just money.

Somebody like Maiava … who isn’t going to play for money professionally, I think you grab as much as you can, when you can.
I wouldn't say that Maiava will definitely NOT be a pro. That is hard to sat as a freshman.

To be honest, going to USC could still improve his stock even if he rarely plays. Back up QBs for Lincoln Riley have gone on to other big time schools and really shined. It is very possible he could parlay this to a pretty nice landing spot.

But he has to improve to do that. If he can't get better under Riley, then he isn't going to get better.

I wouldn't say that Maiava will definitely NOT be a pro. That is hard to sat as a freshman.

To be honest, going to USC could still improve his stock even if he rarely plays. Back up QBs for Lincoln Riley have gone on to other big time schools and really shined. It is very possible he could parlay this to a pretty nice landing spot.

But he has to improve to do that. If he can't get better under Riley, then he isn't going to get better.
I won’t say never and I’m not going to say he sucks if he doesn’t. I think he’s pretty solid and had a great year for us.

But does anything from him scream “special”? Even being “special” isn’t always good enough for the league.

Not rooting against him but I didn’t see enough out of him. Slow Reads, leg speed, ball security, stuck with primary receiver come hell or high water too often … and you all know how I feel about heart/effort and I think he’s lacking a bit there. There were some big plays when he went down way too easily and when he made a mistake, he was pretty good at being rattled. Now that can be coached away, reps can help with the that.

But I wasn’t feeling it to an NFL level.

I won’t say never and I’m not going to say he sucks if he doesn’t. I think he’s pretty solid and had a great year for us.

But does anything from him scream “special”? Even being “special” isn’t always good enough for the league.

Not rooting against him but I didn’t see enough out of him. Slow Reads, leg speed, ball security, stuck with primary receiver come hell or high water too often … and you all know how I feel about heart/effort and I think he’s lacking a bit there. There were some big plays when he went down way too easily and when he made a mistake, he was pretty good at being rattled. Now that can be coached away, reps can help with the that.

He is like a poor man’s Tua sometime drastic would have to occur for him to get drafted. If you don’t have high end running ability you better have a great arm with great accuracy.

UNLV had at least 3 games last season that he almost lost UNLV due to bonehead plays. He also put us in a big hole verse Kansas!
He was a freshman so yeah that is going to happen. He also lead a comeback against Vandy, played much better second half against KU and had some (major) mistake free games. Most importantly he took us to a bowl game something that wasn't happening if Brumfield stayed at QB (for the few games he wouldn't have been injured).

He was a freshman so yeah that is going to happen. He also lead a comeback against Vandy, played much better second half against KU and had some (major) mistake free games. Most importantly he took us to a bowl game something that wasn't happening if Brumfield stayed at QB (for the few games he wouldn't have been injured).
For UNLV has was a good QB, for USC it is a different game. The Boise State QB transfer from Malachi Nelson is being played up as a big get for Boise State, the same BSU that beat up on UNLV, and he couldn't make it at USC. As for the Vandy game, Maiava put UNLV in the hole to start with in a game against a really bad Vandy team.

He has some arm talent that is not teachable. Not off the charts, but definitely good enough for the NFL and better than the majority of college QBs.

It is concerning that many of his mistakes were not fixed throughout the year, but he did improve.

Maiava is not a running QB. I repeat, he's not a running QB. He proved that with carrying the ball away from his body on multiple occasions and pitching forward more than once (I'm not sure how many were caught by the refs, but it didn't just occur one time).

He was good for UNLV. Much better than we've had for a while. Denton may have been the last solid one, if I'm remembering correctly. I appreciate that he helped us improve our record. **I'm giving him credit here so don't take what I say as bashing him personally.**

He's not USC level, at least not right now. He may have a good game against Loma Linda (if they have a football team) but he's not going to be Matt Lienhart next year against a Notre Dame.

His head is his weakness. He has the potential to become a better thrower. His touch isn't terrible and he has the capacity to improve his arm strength (not all throwers do from my anecdotal experience with them). Improve between the ears and maybe he can become a serviceable NFL backup. Maybe.

I don't fault him at all for taking the money at USC. We all want to get paid for what we do, and we all want to get paid more for what we do. He may not earn money for being a QB after college so why not capitalize now?

I think most college students would also love to get paid for going to college. When you speak of wanting to get paid, after roughly a year each at UNLV, both of my kids figured out going the certification route and online college have become much better deals than the old school brick and mortar schools to spend less for taining and make money quicker. My one son works in cyber security is 25 years of age and has not yet completed a bachelor online degree (1 more year) makes well into the six figures and has offers about 1-2 times a week to switch jobs. In regards to pay, cyber security positions with 2+ years of experience tend to be paid far beyond the average pay of an Ivy league graduate after 10 years in the job market and an Ivy league degree. The same is also true for positions as mechanics, AC mechanics, plumbers, etc.....

The point of this is that the current generations are going the certification and tech training route and away from college in large numbers with in many cases far better pay without the huge debts. With the drop off in students entering college, how long will it be before colleges are forced to cut programs which would in many lower and mid level schools most likely include athletics?

Not from media days but here is an interview on a podcast with some high school coaches back in arkansas I thought y’all might enjoy.
About halfway through this, really enjoying it so far. Hits on Odoms past in football, the move to UNLV, connections to Mizzou and Arkansas, among others. Still 40 mins to go!

Thanks for sharing!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT