ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV is spending and Oklahoma St. may pay the price (2 coaches)

Joe Bob Clements deserves a shot at DC. Quality person.
Normally the all-name team at UNLV is filled with Poly kids.... love the new entry!

For real though, no idea about either of these guys, but if the new head man trusts them, I think they'll do!

The finances will be interesting... we can't really do much more than that and be responsible with it, so if Gundy matches.... well, that could be that.

If the assistant salary pool is $2.2m, you're looking at a bare minimum of $1.02m eaten up with coordinators. Really probably a little more. Leave $1 mil for the other 9 or 10 guys.... hopefully it's a well-budgeted area...

The Oregon D was much better than I thought they were overall team defense. It has been mentioned that two of the Oregon defensive assistants could come with Arroyo and anyone from the Oregon defensive staff would be welcomed here but Ok St. defensive staff not so much.. they are only a few spots ahead of UNLV in team defense.

The Oregon D was much better than I thought they were overall team defense. It has been mentioned that two of the Oregon defensive assistants could come with Arroyo and anyone from the Oregon defensive staff would be welcomed here but Ok St. defensive staff not so much.. they are only a few spots ahead of UNLV in team defense.

Getting two from Oregon could be tough. Getting a slight raise and promotion to DC might be enough to lure one guy. Not sure UNLV could afford to poach a second.

If retaining Skipper didn't worry you too much, Clements shouldn't.

Seems solid enough..

https://okstate.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/joe-bob-clements/26

Getting two from Oregon could be tough. Getting a slight raise and promotion to DC might be enough to lure one guy. Not sure UNLV could afford to poach a second.

If retaining Skipper didn't worry you too much, Clements shouldn't.

Seems solid enough..

https://okstate.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/joe-bob-clements/26

I liked Skipper due to his familiarity with the current guys and if he had any more recruits or transfers similar to Jackson.. that is why I liked Skipper for the job if he didn't get his guys or someone else highly regarded.

As for your statement about Clemens and I shouldn't have a problem with him, why are bad stats only used by you to say Skipper is not good person to retain but when I say the same thing (bad stats) about this guy it should be disregarded?

The total defense stats at Ok St are barely better than us currently, why would this guy be a positive hire? Why should we expect anything different?

Many here including you have said D is very important going forward, I agree with that and I also think Arroyo could/should do better than Clemens!

Reactions: willlevi
Normally the all-name team at UNLV is filled with Poly kids.... love the new entry!

For real though, no idea about either of these guys, but if the new head man trusts them, I think they'll do!

The finances will be interesting... we can't really do much more than that and be responsible with it, so if Gundy matches.... well, that could be that.

If the assistant salary pool is $2.2m, you're looking at a bare minimum of $1.02m eaten up with coordinators. Really probably a little more. Leave $1 mil for the other 9 or 10 guys.... hopefully it's a well-budgeted area...

$100,000 each for the 10 left. ??????

I liked Skipper due to his familiarity with the current guys and if he had any more recruits or transfers similar to Jackson.. that is why I liked Skipper for the job if he didn't get his guys or someone else highly regarded.

As for your statement about Clemens and I shouldn't have a problem with him, why are bad stats only used by you to say Skipper is not good person to retain but when I say the same thing (bad stats) about this guy it should be disregarded?

The total defense stats at Ok St are barely better than us currently, why would this guy be a positive hire? Why should we expect anything different?

Many here including you have said D is very important going forward, I agree with that and I also think Arroyo could/should do better than Clemens!

Because the things that Clemens unit (the DL) were responsible for have improved under him. Sacks, tackle for loss, rush defense etc. He also helped develop a few all conference players.

Where as, UNLV regressed in nearly every major statistic under Skipper since he took the job. His fault? Not entirely, but the buck stops with the dude who has the headset.

That's why there is a difference.

Would I prefer the guy from Oregon? Maybe. Avalos has a lot to do with the success of that defense as well.

Because the things that Clemens unit (the DL) were responsible for have improved under him. Sacks, tackle for loss, rush defense etc. He also helped develop a few all conference players.

Where as, UNLV regressed in nearly every major statistic under Skipper since he took the job. His fault? Not entirely, but the buck stops with the dude who has the headset.

That's why there is a difference.

Would I prefer the guy from Oregon? Maybe. Avalos has a lot to do with the success of that defense as well.

The stats are what they are and Clemens was part of an average D and therefore is not impressive. And he should be a last resort type of hire, period!

You use the stats your way and I will use them mine and in this case I hope Arroyo does better!

What he had at Ok State in DL was great for OK St. but lets not get to giddy over that. Recruiting those type of DL at UNLV may never happen because we are UNLV and there has not been a DL here since Keith Washington, Talance Sawyer and Co.

The Oregon assistants under Avalos were mentioned as possibilities here not Avalos and why I would prefer them over the Ok ST guy is they were in a much more productive overall system under a much better DC.

Big 12 OC here yes, interesting but a Big 12 DL coach as the new DC man I hope not.. he was okay and that conference is not known for that side of the ball anyways!

Last edited:
The stats are what they are and Clemens was part of an average D and therefore is not impressive. And he should be a last resort type of hire, period!

He didn't run the defense. He was a position coach.

Stats either support your argument or they don't.

In the case of Tim Skipper you didn't want to discuss stats.

Since Clemens got there the unit he has been in charge of has improved.

Would he be my first choice? No.

Average D?

If we had average defense here, UNLV might have been bowling a couple times under Sanchez.

No he likely can't recruit the same guys he was getting at Ok State, but looks like he might be able to coach up the guys we have..

If Arroyo can poach a guy from Oregon. Great. If not, this is a decent alternative.

There is also familiarity their..

Reactions: 9th_Islander
He didn't run the defense. He was a position coach.

Stats either support your argument or they don't. In the case of Clemens the stats support my argument though, porous run defense in a pass heavy conference!

In the case of Tim Skipper you didn't want to discuss stats.

Since Clemens got there the unit he has been in charge of has improved.

Would he be my first choice? No.

Average D? Look at the yards per in the run game! (151) in a passing conference Big 12 is average to me!

If we had average defense here, UNLV might have been bowling a couple times under Sanchez.

No he likely can't recruit the same guys he was getting at Ok State, but looks like he might be able to coach up the guys we have..

If Arroyo can poach a guy from Oregon. Great. If not, this is a decent alternative. Only a little more decent than Skipper if you look at Total D!

There is also familiarity their..

I would like to see the great recruiter, bring in someone else. The D going forward is too important to get this wrong again.
It's just my opinion but Clemens is Baer part two!

Reactions: willlevi
I would like to see the great recruiter, bring in someone else. The D going forward is too important to get this wrong again.
It's just my opinion but Clemens is Baer part two!

And the 'great recruiter' was replicating Baer's production..

So that would make Clements, Baer 3.0...

Last edited:
Dunn excites me. I'm guessing there is familiarity with all of these coaches because Arroyo coached at OK St, right?

Now Joe Bob, doesn't excite me.

Coming in Skipper was a better hire. A position coach, but from a successful defense. Also a very likable guy and a good recruiter.

Now Skipper has failed thus far. Took a horrible defense, and made it a horrible defense. Maybe worse, but not significantly so. Proved himself as a recruiter and has ties to the south which can be very fruitful.

Joe Bob, could be great. But taking a position coach from a meh defense, while you now already have 2 guys (counting MA) on the staff with the same recruiting ties doesn't get me pumped.

Not trying to make a great case for Skipper here, I would rather get one of the Oregon guys. Just not loving this on the surface.

As for retention, my vote goes to Cormier!

Hopefully its Joe Salave'a or Keith Heyward. Skipper in a pinch if all else fails, just because recruiting ties to SEC areas.

Imagine the D with two LB's like Jackson or a lock down CB and a LB like Jackson or a DE who can get home and a S who could cover like Javin White and blitz in a pinch?

The players from down South are needed on this team, Cali is good and all but for the combination of toughness and talented you go to Texas and the South every time!

Maybe keep Skipper as a LB coach but his recruiting area has to be intriguing!

Last edited:
Dunn excites me. I'm guessing there is familiarity with all of these coaches because Arroyo coached at OK St, right?

This is likely the case but I would rather he (Arroyo) have a DC from a stronger program even if it makes him less comfortable then having a buddy as DC and have a similar defense to what we already have. Culture is important but when you run the organization having folks around who are innovators are more important than having buddies around who are more comfortable. I'd rather see someone good hired that Arroyo doesn't know well, rather than someone mediocre who he was buddies with!

UNLV needs to be stronger on defense and unless your buddy is Bruce Aranda or Grinch from Oklahoma.. go for strongest candidate! Kidding here about Aranda and Grinch (not available) but you get my point.

Now Joe Bob, doesn't excite me.

Coming in Skipper was a better hire. A position coach, but from a successful defense. Also a very likable guy and a good recruiter.

Now Skipper has failed thus far. Took a horrible defense, and made it a horrible defense. Maybe worse, but not significantly so. Proved himself as a recruiter and has ties to the south which can be very fruitful.

Joe Bob, could be great. But taking a position coach from a meh defense, while you now already have 2 guys (counting MA) on the staff with the same recruiting ties doesn't get me pumped.

Not trying to make a great case for Skipper here, I would rather get one of the Oregon guys. Just not loving this on the surface.

As for retention, my vote goes to Cormier! Agreed!

I have no dog in the fight what ever is best for the program, I will say R Jackson was a banger loved him need 10 more guys just like him. I liked Hester in the middle Vic came in with all the hype but Hester prevailed.
I'm hoping they just get some boys that can get to the QB hard to find I know but if you took the TCU route where they recruited a lot of RBs and WRs and athletes with speed developed them with strength and conditioning and turned them into defensive dogs, granted BIG12 defense lacks but outside a handful of programs it seems all defenses are having trouble with the rules set up to optimize scoring.
Lastly Bull did tell us, "Fellas don't get your hopes up defense had no impact players coach can't make plays for them."

I have no dog in the fight what ever is best for the program, I will say R Jackson was a banger loved him need 10 more guys just like him. I liked Hester in the middle Vic came in with all the hype but Hester prevailed.
I'm hoping they just get some boys that can get to the QB hard to find I know but if you took the TCU route where they recruited a lot of RBs and WRs and athletes with speed developed them with strength and conditioning and turned them into defensive dogs, granted BIG12 defense lacks but outside a handful of programs it seems all defenses are having trouble with the rules set up to optimize scoring.
Lastly Bull did tell us, "Fellas don't get your hopes up defense had no impact players coach can't make plays for them."

Nice concept and would be wise to copy this here!
Getting bigger RB's and slim TE's that can be developed, you can manufacture some speed for pass rush on D.

I do think familiarity between Arroyo and Dunn is key. Since Arroyo is an offensive guy who will be a big part of that side of the ball. Possibly the true OC. Having those guys completely on the same page is an absolute must.

The DC, not so much.

Reactions: unlvrunninrebels
Arrigo reported late last week that Cormier was not among those still being considered for retention.

If accurate...

I think I read somewhere that the new OC was the WR coach at OK so I am assuming he would be overseeing the WR’s here as well as the OC duties. I think it was time for a change there anyway. Our receivers have had trouble getting open for years and I would argue have lacked toughness.

That last thing UNLV needs is to start keeping assistants just because they have been around a long time. The simple fact is that the WR group did nothing special this year with the exception of Grimes who was a transfer.

I think I read somewhere that the new OC was the WR coach at OK so I am assuming he would be overseeing the WR’s here as well as the OC duties. I think it was time for a change there anyway. Our receivers have had trouble getting open for years and I would argue have lacked toughness.
I tend to think of our receivers have having been underserved by their QBs during most of the last decade, but especially the Sanchez era. You may be right that they have struggled to get open, so I see that element as well.

If the OC speculation is accurate about Dunn from OKSt as reported last week, definitely no reason outside of recruiting to keep Cormier. Great, great guy... but as I have said many times... in Arroyo I trust.

Reactions: reagan21
I tend to think of our receivers have having been underserved by their QBs during most of the last decade, but especially the Sanchez era. You may be right that they have struggled to get open, so I see that element as well.

If the OC speculation is accurate about Dunn from OKSt as reported last week, definitely no reason outside of recruiting to keep Cormier. Great, great guy... but as I have said many times... in Arroyo I trust.
and the players love him. Cormier is a standup guy, and if there is one holdover, I would like it to be him.

Reactions: RebelinWA
That last thing UNLV needs is to start keeping assistants just because they have been around a long time. The simple fact is that the WR group did nothing special this year with the exception of Grimes who was a transfer.
It hasnt been productive, but our WR corps has been a highlight of our teams since he has been there. Cotton doesnt love the pass and Armani couldn't really throw, so that plays a role.
He has been the one link to Texas/Houston for recruiting. Which have produced some of our best players, especially RBs.
Now Arroyo and Dunn may have inroads to the area which may make him expendable, but there is a really good reason he has been here through 3 coaching staffs. He has been a huge asset.

Reactions: RebelinWA
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT