ADVERTISEMENT

UFC Sold

The meeting today will be very interesting and too watch possible Fertitta communication with the Raiders and or Stadium will be interesting.

I would love for the Fertitas to build, own and operate a college football stadium on the 42 acre Trop site. A less expensive, football and soccer venue, open air stadium. Its pretty obvious at this point that the main stadium focus is on the Raiders and the UNLV campus sites are being discounted. A beautiful college stadium seating around 45,000 could be built for around $450 million. I think CSU is building that type of facility for around $400 million.

The fact is that UNLV has always been along for the ride on this project, and the Governor, President Jessup, coach Sanchez, and most others are in favor of an enclosed stadium built anywhere in town with the ability for UNLV to play there on Saturdays.

A 45K seat open air stadium is a total waste of money. This would do nothing to move us to the Pac12 or Big12, in which case we would be way better off to just stay where we are instead of spending 400-500 million. As for the Fertittas building a football stadium for UNLV, why? An on campus football stadium of that size, and without being enclosed, would lose money every year. Why would they put that kind of money into something that would not make money?

Reactions: Dloch002
I hate football in half full stadiums. The Rebels will be just like SDSU at the Q in that new stadium. College football playing to mostly empty seats, away from campus. Or, we can always play the likes of travel teams like Wisconsin, BYU or USC, where there are always more fans from the visitors team than the home team. Great atmosphere.........

In the first year with Sanchez as coach they increased the average attendance by approx 5,000 and I expect that trend to continue. A couple of winning season and they will be selling out Sam Boyd. UNLV averaged 30K fans 25 years ago before the complete collapse of football with a much smaller fan base.

Reactions: mvvsmith
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT