ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrin Jones Thoughts?

Couev

Rebel Legend
Dec 8, 2003
Indianapolis, Indiana
We got a commitment from Tyrin Jones this weekend

On 3

Looks like On 3 has him rated as 124th overall player as a 6'9" 200 lbs PF. 247 has him as 212th over all, and he is unranked and unscouted by ESPN and Rivals. We beat out UNM, Utah State, UI-Chicago, and College of Charleston (those are his best offers)

I watched a few videos--unfortunately mostly AAU circuit stuff where he plays like a traditional 4 and is bouncy but very slight with a good wingspan (he looks like someone put Chris Wood on a starvation diet). Uses glass well, but seemed to feast on posting up much shorter players. I think On3 might be a little too high on him--seems like a project to me especially since I didn't see a single jumpshot. Has anyone had the chance to see him live or have any insight?

Reactions: LVRebel2000
Those are his best offers…

Holy f’n crap. Is Kevin a worse recruiter than Mahhhhvvv?

Doesn't matter if he gets good or bad recruits, as shown by Rice, but what is important is can the team win and get better year to year. The best bet is that they either get to the NCAA tournament or Kruger is gone after this next season. UNLV AD will not give a lot of leeway considering they got rid of Arroyo with a 5-7 record in football.

We got a commitment from Tyrin Jones this weekend

On 3

Looks like On 3 has him rated as 124th overall player as a 6'9" 200 lbs PF. 247 has him as 212th over all, and he is unranked and unscouted by ESPN and Rivals. We beat out UNM, Utah State, UI-Chicago, and College of Charleston (those are his best offers)

I watched a few videos--unfortunately mostly AAU circuit stuff where he plays like a traditional 4 and is bouncy but very slight with a good wingspan (he looks like someone put Chris Wood on a starvation diet). Uses glass well, but seemed to feast on posting up much shorter players. I think On3 might be a little too high on him--seems like a project to me especially since I didn't see a single jumpshot. Has anyone had the chance to see him live or have any insight?
You tell us. Is he good or does he suck?

You tell us. Is he good or does he suck?
I don't know, I don't have enough data to evaluate--but he doesn't really pop on AAU tournament highlights where he's posting up a 6'4" guy or cleaning up rebounds in a situation where he's at the top of the height/wingspan/athleticism rankings. That's why I'm asking the question. Based on the 12 minutes of highlight videos I can find I think his 247 ranking of 212th seems closer than on3s 124th. I just figured there's a few Utahans on the board who might have seen him play. Layton Christian Academy were the 4A Utah champs last year, and he had some decent box score numbers. But Utah is a 6A state for Boys Basketball, and their game against the 13th ranked 5A team in Wasatch Valley saw them get their doors blown off last year by 33.

I'm hoping someone knows something more than I do is all.

The few minutes of tape we see shows he has a good basketball body, good height, can run and seems coordinated. That's more than we've seen from some recruits but not remotely enough to move us forward.
It looks to me like we don't have remotely enough NIL support to attract the players we need to get where we want to be.

Those are his best offers…

Holy f’n crap. Is Kevin a worse recruiter than Mahhhhvvv?
Way worse. Say what you will about Marv, but we have not equalled the talent he had since he left. He recruited some ballers, most going elsewhere to shine.

This video is a month old. He wear #23. He hit a growth spurts of 7"? Used to be SG at 6'2

Way worse. Say what you will about Marv, but we have not equalled the talent he had since he left. He recruited some ballers, most going elsewhere to shine.
I was just laughing at Brandon McKoy’s wiki.

I wish recruiting news excited me. It used to but just doesn’t anymore. Not all CKK’s fault. Result of years of poor hires, declining results, and now to the point where our recruits often aren’t on the radar in this digital media age. Hate to say it but I’m growing numb to MBB. God, I can’t believe I just wrote that. I have old VHS tapes of me behind the basket at McNicoll’s Arena in Denver watching the team cutting down the championship nets. I NEVER thought it would get to this point. But I now check the basketball board only occasionally to see if anything hopeful is happening. Always the same answer. Sorry to be so negative. Still appreciate all of you who post new info. I’m just not expecting much anymore, at least not under the current regime. Hope I’m wrong (now my common refrain).

I wish recruiting news excited me. It used to but just doesn’t anymore. Not all CKK’s fault. Result of years of poor hires, declining results, and now to the point where our recruits often aren’t on the radar in this digital media age. Hate to say it but I’m growing numb to MBB. God, I can’t believe I just wrote that. I have old VHS tapes of me behind the basket at McNicoll’s Arena in Denver watching the team cutting down the championship nets. I NEVER thought it would get to this point. But I now check the basketball board only occasionally to see if anything hopeful is happening. Always the same answer. Sorry to be so negative. Still appreciate all of you who post new info. I’m just not expecting much anymore, at least not under the current regime. Hope I’m wrong (now my common refrain).
Doesn’t it seem like it wasn’t real? Like some fading dream? There is such a Grand Canyon gap between what we were and what we are …. It doesn’t seem like we are even connected anymore. The past isn’t paying attention anymore save for a tiny handful. It’s really hard to fathom.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT